Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Thu Sep 18, 2014 3:55 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: SDCC Super7 ALIEN exclusive at BBTS
PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 8:02 pm 
Knows his stuff

I'm so glad BBTS was able to secure 30 of these super limited sets and is now selling them for nearly 5x the original price! I tried to get this SDCC exclusive on Preview Night and the line was capped. I then came back first thing Thursday morning only to find out they sold out for the show on Preview Night. Preview Night! That is insane!

http://www.bigbadtoystore.com/bbts/prod ... ode=retail

Post subject: Re: SDCC Super7 ALIEN exclusive at BBTS
PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 9:17 pm 
You hear that? We're using CODE names...

Same thing happened to me at SDCC.

I've shopped at BBTS for years, since 2005.
This makes me consider never shopping with them again.
Not too happy with Super 7 right now either.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 11:03 am 
shirtless hugger

I waited in line for over an hour on the opening day of the convention, but they had sold out during the preview night, so I missed out.

I understand that smaller toy companies are excited by a quick sell-out and the buzz it brings, but I think the practice of offering an entire allotment of exclusive toys on the preview night is unfair. Kidrobot sold out of its Simpsons and Futurama exclusives on the preview night as well.

Fortunately, this strategy is starting to change, and some companies are holding back product for later in the show. For instance, Uglydoll was selling its Hello Kitty dolls very quickly, but employees realized there would be nothing left for the weekend, so they started rationing the dolls. Other companies, like NECA and Entertainment Earth, have allotment policies.

I really like Mattel's idea of offering a preorder, so everyone has a shot at the exclusives, no matter what day you go. And Mattel turns away other vendors who try to buy exclusives on preview night, which I really appreciate because the vendors are already inside the hall and get in line before anyone else can.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 3:39 pm 
Daniel Pickett

That line is where I spent my preview night. I went there first thing when the doors opened and got in line. The line was capped right behind my wife. Waited in that line for a little over an hour and a half, but got a set... didn't get to do much else that night after that.

I was really surprised to learn that they sold the entire allotment on Preview Night. But if that's the case I can't imagine they made that many of those sets. Probably 500 or less. They were being VERY strict about only one of those per person.

D

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 9:12 am 
shirtless hugger

I'm sorry you had to waste your preview night waiting in line. Well, I guess it wasn't a total waste if you got the figures you wanted. :D

I'm glad to hear the company had a strict one-per-person policy. That doesn't explain how BBTS landed so many. Perhaps a deal was made before the con opened.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 4:23 am 
The Katepánō with Atomic Breath

Of those who may have been unaware, this 2 pack was also an exclusive for a convention in Japan, where BBTS does a lot of its business. All of the ones they are selling now are preorders, pending obtaining them from this show. At Comicon Frank from Super 7 a) was VERY strict about 1 per person, and b) confirmed to me it was going to be available as an exclusive in Japan, as I'd heard previously. So there's the mystery solved.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 6:38 pm 
Knows his stuff

Ok, what the heck! These are now available at Entertainment Earth for $65?

http://www.entertainmentearth.com/prodi ... iAIlH_3PSI

UPDATE - Ok, I just got clarification from Brian at Super7 about the price discrepancy and the new distribution outlets through Funko (ie EE, BBTS).

Quote:
When we were making the Aliens figures ourselves, the quantity we could produce and sell was much lower than what we are able to do in our new agreement with Funko.

Our original SRP was $19.95, and 5 figures was $100. Funko will be able to produce in much larger quantities and wider distribution, and has a $14.95 SRP, which is $75 for the set. (why others are pre-ordering at $65 is even more surprising, but I can't speak for them.)

Regardless, we are aware of the discrepancy in price with the new agreement, so there is a additional, secret figure that will be included in the Super7 pre-orders that will be available only for those who pre-ordered sets of Alien from us, and will not be available anywhere else. (And preorders are long since closed.) We think it will be a nice thank you to everyone who believed in this project and pre-ordered ahead of time, being part of the excitement of the release of this long-awaited line of figures.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 3:30 pm 
wears suits so fine they make Sinatra look like a hobo

I totally missed out on this, and have been on the hunt on the 'Bay and other places...but man, it's not cheap... :?

Take a walk on the Sunny Side of the Street
http://www.facebook.com/SunnySideNews

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 11:41 am 
Disney is not his cup of tea

GregNYC wrote:
I'm glad to hear the company had a strict one-per-person policy. That doesn't explain how BBTS landed so many. Perhaps a deal was made before the con opened.

At any convention dealers offer prices for the exclusives people buy or are given at the door. BBTS could have done that.