Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Sun Nov 23, 2014 5:35 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Semi-New Rescue Heroes Found.
PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2005 10:01 pm 
ABS

Just as I was worried about the future of Rescue Heroes, I found some new ones at Toys R Us today. I'm not sure my nerves have been at all quelled.

The two new series are Police Patrol and Lava Squad. Like the last few series, they are basically repaint sets with a few new parts here and there. It breaks down like this.

Police Patrol
-Bill Barker & Buster (new head sculpt for Bill on, I believe, a Jake Justice body)
-Clamp Down (new deco)
-Justin Time (straight repaint of Telly Photo)
-Marshall Law (straight repaint of Marshall Artz)

Justin and Marshall are major disappointments, especially Justin since Telly Photo is such a cool, unique character. I might pick up BB&B but that's it.

Lava Squad
-Back Draft (new deco)
-Billy Blazes (PowerMax figure, new deco)
-Jack Hammer (PowerMax figure, new deco)
-Val Cano (new, cool head, PowerMax Rock Miner body, I think)

Val's a bit tempting, we'll see.

Rescue Heroes has really taken a tumble since the Robotz series in the middle of last year, which I don't think sold all that well. It's possible the line may have peaked with 2003's Mission Select series, which are my favorite RH figures to this day.

Interestingly, the Police Patrol cardbacks mention crooks and robbers, I wonder if that's something we'll finally see for the line; villains. I know Rescue Heroes "bad guys" would not sit well with a lot of parents, but at this point I think it's going to take something radical to give the line a shot in the arm. If all we see is repaint sets with a new head or two every few months, I don't see Rescue Heroes surviving another year.

And THAT would be criminal.

-Jason