Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 7:20 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Toy Friends?? Let me explain.
PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2006 5:57 pm 
5" Scale

Ok I have been collecting toys now for about 7 years or so. And I love it, all my friends and co workers give me hell over it, but normally it doesnt bother me, but I got to thinknig last night.

I have no one to share or show my collection to, my wife tries to be supportive but she is just trying to be nice.

So my question is, how many of you guys/gals have anyone, thats not an online friend, that you talk toys with, or as my wife calls it talk "nerd".

I mean I dont collect toys to show them off to people but it just seems like it would be nice to know somenone with the same common interests.

Oh well I guess I will just talk "nerd" to myself. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2006 6:07 pm 
Fugitive Dust

My twin brother seems to think my JLU figures are cool -- he's a big fan of the show himself -- but he's not really a collector like I am.

And er, that's about it. Seriously, it's a personal hobby and talking to people online is enough for me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2006 6:13 pm 
Damage Control

I've got two kids and we "nerd-out" all the time. But besides them, I only have you guys to talk to. Funny, I had just been talking to my wife about this very thing the other day. It would be nice to have someone locally to hang with and discuss, but around here everyone thinks it's stupid (but my kids and their friends that come over think I'm cool as hell :twisted: ). My wife has a barbie collection, but she's not doing much nowadays. My son and I are more into it together than my daughter. She's only 5 but loves superheroes for sure. She is partial to Alex Ross also :D My son loves all of it. DC/Marvel, whatever. He gets all my retired DCD/TB figures so he grooves on this stuff and we geek out over new purchases from time to time. It's fun. If I didn't have kids, this wouldn't be near as much fun (but I'd have more money to do it :wink: ). So thank goodness for sites like this where we can all "nerd/geek-out" together.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2006 8:56 pm 
Collector Inspector

I'm in the same boat as you grouch, except I have 2 boys to nerd out with. Definitely wouldn't be as much fun without their and their friends' jaws hitting the floor and eyes bugging out when they walk into my "office". My 6 year old loves his JLU, old and new HeMan, Super Powers, TMNT and DBZ. The 10 year old isn't as into it as he used to be, growing up I suppose, but he still drools over the figures from time to time, mainly Star Wars stuff. The wife, she collects Barbies, Woner Woman and other dolls, but nowhere near to the same insane levels, so she mostly just humors me...which is ok...at least I haven't been thrown out yet! :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2006 5:36 am 
Infinite Hero

Well, when I lived in CA I was part of a toy collecting group called BATgang (Bay Area Toy Gang), so I had folks to "talk toys" with all the time.

I've been living in Ohio for 6-1/2 years now, and have a couple of friends here that are collectors. One's just into Star Wars and the other I just met a few months back but he's into Legends and we've been gettin' together to play HeroClix, too.

My wife's supportive of the hobby and my 18 month old loves the weekly trip to TRU (mostly so she can run around Animal Alley).

Jeff

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2006 7:38 am 
Still ahead of Mudd

Well my brother collects some stuff, and even does toy runs for me in Philly.

I also have the DCSWCC(DC Star Wars Collectors Club), we have meetings once a month- and the focus is usually on the newest toys. There are around 120 members (with 60 or so that are very active). A bunch of us have other interests, so there is someone I can talk to about JLU and Legends, as well as a few other lines, and we actually pick stuff up for each other on a very regular basis..

And now instead of competing against all these other people in the area for the same toys, some of them actually grab them for me.

Those of you interested and that are in the DC/No. VA/MD/DEL and even a few in PA may want to check out DCSWCC.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2006 8:01 am 
Loose, Missing Package

Following up on what stewbacca said, I'm a member in both the Kentucky Star Wars Collectors Club (http://www.kswcc.com) and the Ohio Star Wars Collectors Club (http://www.oswcc.com) and both groups have people interested in other toys besides Star Wars. Not sure where you are, but you should check for a local or regional collectors group in your area. Even if it's not something you collect (or don't collect on a regular basis) you should still look into the group... I know in KSWCC we've had a couple guys who collect other toys sign up just for help with their items and we help them out what we can. Hey, a non-scalper willing to help in a toy department is another chance you've got at something... Plus, even if you don't collect the same things you'll still have someone to discuss toys with, personally, I don't collect Transformer or even have that much interest in them, but I do appreciate the cool collection my friend has...

Seriously, you should check out any local collectors club and see if they're the right fit for you.