Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 12:12 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Hey everyone, I wonder if you'd give my new column a look.
PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2005 9:57 pm 
ABS

I'm very happy to say I now have my own little corner here at Action Figure Insider in the form of a new column called "Tales of a Would've-Been Action Hero." It's not about reviews or upcoming lines or where to find what; it's about, well, what's it's like to be us. Or, at least, what it's like to be me.

Head on over to Columns if you have the chance and all will be clear. I've had this project in mind for years and I'd love for you all to share it with me.

-(JJ)Jason

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2005 6:27 am 
Infinite Hero

Jason,

Great read, man. You should be a writer....ah...waitaminnit...

I'm sure there's lots of us who are in similar boats. Me, I see 40 looming within two months...my six month old giggling to Telletubbies and a basement full of action figures.

Where does it end? Does it end?

I think to myself sometimes, when should I stop? But, the next thought (which follows by a mere nanosecond) is: But, what if something really cool comes out?!

Keep the thoughts and insights coming!

Jeff C.

Post subject: Re: Hey everyone, I wonder if you'd give my new column a loo
PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2005 7:16 am 
Knows his stuff

:roll: Great, now you have your own personal column where you can label others who don't think like you as "scalper" or other subjective defamation as you see fit upon them. Well, this site just took a big nose-dive downward. :(

I'm just saying.

geoffdude

------------

JJJason wrote:
I'm very happy to say I now have my own little corner here at Action Figure Insider in the form of a new column called "Tales of a Would've-Been Action Hero." It's not about reviews or upcoming lines or where to find what; it's about, well, what's it's like to be us. Or, at least, what it's like to be me.

Head on over to Columns if you have the chance and all will be clear. I've had this project in mind for years and I'd love for you all to share it with me.

-(JJ)Jason

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2005 9:25 am 
Crime Against Nature

geoffdude wrote:
:roll: Great, now you have your own personal column where you can label others who don't think like you as "scalper" or other subjective defamation as you see fit upon them. Well, this site just took a big nose-dive downward. :(

I'm just saying.

geoffdude

------------

OK, I'm all for free speech and all, but I don't care what happened on other boards; This kind of thing is just provoking a fight.

And this is going to be a happy, friendly place without that kind of fighting. Because I can get ban-happy if need be.

I don't care who starts attacks, or who is "right" or who is "wrong". I just know that after this warning personal attacks are going to get deleted. Argue about toys all you want, though. ;)

Jason

PS Geoff, if you or anyone else wants their own column to promote their viewpoint, send us a sample. Columns will not be used for attacks on others, either. Even I'm playing nice.

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2005 9:53 am 
Knows his stuff

Hi Jason

Look, I like you, Jeff, JM, Rob, Bobbi and many others. And I don't think I've ever "attacked" anyone that didn't come after me first. My response/comment was an honest one, with no "attacking" done.

I like/liked this site, but JJJ is not someone I like, respect or admire in any way. A column from him here just rubs me wrong.

Also, your statement is contradictory. "I'm all for free speech and all..." but, "this is going to be a happy, friendly place without that kind of fighting. Because I can get ban-happy if need be."

It doesn't seem that "free speech" but only when it's "happy, friendly" work well together.

If someone goes to the trouble to defame you, then I feel they've set the tone towards that relationship. It's impossible to forget such a slight. If JJJ is going to be a "public" face for this site, and solicit feedback for his column then he, and this site, should be able to take my honest criticism of him and his words (column) even if they are not "happy, friendly".

Keep in mind, nothing I posted was untrue, and I did not, and will not, attack him.

Regards, and best wishes.

geoffdude

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2005 12:47 pm 
Daniel Pickett

geoffdude wrote:

I'm just saying.

geoffdude

Thanks. It's nice to know that all of our hard work is "appreciated." So.. you come here and label the site as taking "a big nose-dive downward" or other subjective defamation as you see fit upon us?

I'M just saying.

JM

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2005 2:10 pm 
Knows his stuff

Hi JM

Thanks. It's nice to know that all of our hard work is "appreciated."

It is, and the site looks nice, and there is good info. I was/am very impressed.

So.. you come here and label the site as taking "a big nose-dive downward"

Yes, I guess I do view the site as taking a nose-dive downward from how I initially viewed it since JJJ's now on board. So? Does that rile you enough to take this so personally? Is it wrong to think less of the site now? I didn't slam (insult) JJJ, you or the site at any point. I thought very highly of the site before, I just think less of it now. Also, I never prompted others to judge JJJ, you, or the site, (though that's what JJJ did to me) I just messaged MY thoughts on him when he solicited our comments. This is not a reflection upon you though, just My feelings on JJJ and the site in general as I now feel. And I never "labeled" JJJ or the site anything. Nice attempt there to turn my words back on me though.

Not everyone is going to agree with you, your columnist or other issues that may arise here from time to time I'm sure. I would encourage you and your partners to address those situations with a little more detachment, fairness and of course objectivity .

or other subjective defamation as you see fit upon us?

No defamation was ever directed at you or the site (us?). I just voiced my view on how it's changed for me, and me only. And I'm sure as the years go on many others may have differing thoughts and views on things or issues that transpire here as well. Are you going to take each one of those as a personal slight? Ultimately it all boils down to how respectful we are of each other in handling those differences, and keeping it all in perspective.

I'M just saying.

JM

I hear ya, and I'm just saying too.

geoffdude

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2005 6:10 pm 
proverbial old fart

Jason,

Like I said in my email to you yesterday, I really enjoyed the column. It brought back all sorts of fond memories. I'm looking forward to seeing more from you.

I don't know anything about the discussion going on and I don't care.

Talk to you later. :wink:

Glenn

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2005 8:38 pm 
Hangin' with the big boys

hey JJJ,

Good work on the inaugural column. I was actually thinking of writing a similarly themed "My Life is in crisis and I need to rethink it" article myself, having recently been forced to readjust my living space. I can definately empathize with you in many ways.

I too have quit my regular job to pursue a dream career, and it isn't easy. You fight with depression and guilt everyday. It doesn't help that I don't get much support from the family. Thank goodness for my girlfriend, who encourages me at every turn, and loves toys as much as I do.

Don't give up, friend. Make a plan, and stick to it. It helps the guilt when you get work done, even if it doesn't pay. At least you build a portfolio, if nothing else.

Here's wishing you success soon, buddy!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2005 11:21 pm 
ABS

Actually, on the off chance anyone's interested, and so no one thinks I'm a TOtal loser, I have a short story in the current issue of a magazine I'm sure no one's heard of called Hardboiled. It's a small press crime magazine devoted to hard noir.

I have another story in a POD horror anthology just out called The Ghost Breakers: Vampire Hunters.

Nothing earth shattering, but I do have some oars in the water with some other stuff in the works. My AFI column is already very dear to me and, if there's anything else to report on the fiction front (and any interest in hearing about it) I'll be sure to keep everyone up to date.

-JJJ