Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Mon Jul 28, 2014 6:41 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Hey all, my second column is up if you're interested.
PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2005 12:25 pm 
ABS

I figured I'd give a second heads up since the response to the first column was so positive, something I thank you all for a great deal.

The first column is still available for those who came late. Apparently, I'm going to be archived. Thanks, Otter!

-Jason

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2005 4:25 am 
ABS

NICE! I must admit, I hadn't read the first column, and generally I only like the latest "news" or "reviews" columns... but ths.... this was great! Very unexpected, and I love the personal feel of it.

I think you just got yourself a new reader, JJJason! Thanks for the update. Great stuff!

(and here's the link for those who missed it)
JJJason's "Of Time and TRU" column

Matt
aka Iron-Cow

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2005 11:36 am 
ABS

Thank you very much, IC. I appreciate the chance.

-JJJ

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2005 4:17 pm 
HEY! New guy! GET HIM!

Great column, JJJason!

I was one of those kids, whose home life was so bad and so abusive that the few times I could steal away to the toy department and rifle through the figures for my chosen bounty was real comfort and happiness!

No matter how bad things got, it couldn't compare to Ray Fillet's fishy smile, or Croc Master's menacing red eyes.

It's too bad toys don't mean as much as they used to. You can't tell me a video game is a better substitute, because you don't bring anything to it. No imagination, no back story. It is what it is. You add nothing to it but your own skill.

The real tragedy of your column, though, is that as much as we all hate the "chase" figure, that TRU visit may have been the fifteenth one that week looking for the Orangehead Troobian...which is EXACTLY what TRU would want and why they request such hard to find figures from the case pack-outs.

Unfortunately, it works just the way they want it to :(.

Cheers!
Bearshow!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2005 5:02 pm 
You hear that? We're using CODE names...

I don't know what to think about it actually. I like it and then you get to the end about the kids growing up to be nothing or victims and it just seems off to me. I'm not saying you shouldn't have said what you did I just think it's the placement at the end that kinda jarred me. Maybe if some of it had been dispersed earlier it would've gelled with me a lot better.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2005 9:06 pm 
ABS

Bearshow wrote:

It's too bad toys don't mean as much as they used to. You can't tell me a video game is a better substitute, because you don't bring anything to it. No imagination, no back story. It is what it is. You add nothing to it but your own skill.

The above makes me think you'll enjoy the next column a great deal. Be on the look out for it and thank you for the honesty of your post in general.

-JJJ

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2005 9:42 pm 
Crime Against Nature

Column three is up. A fun read.

http://www.actionfigureinsider.com/reviews/wouldbehero/column3.shtml

J.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2005 12:41 am 
Resin

I just read your third column. Loved it!! It makes me even more excited about my trip to Disney next month! Wow next month! Time's flying now my exams are done!

I'm VERY happy they seem to still have some Jedi Mickey's left as I really wanted to get one of those!

Your column actually makes me wish I could just spend all my money on Disney stuff now, but given this will probably be my only trip to the US for a few years I have to make allowances for DVDs, and Nintendo DS games which are both far cheaper than they are here in the UK. Plus the inevitable Star Wars stuff just because you're so far ahead of us and the price is better :D

And anytime you want to talk about "Indiana Bear and the Lost Ark", it's fine with me! I'm 20 years old and I still have the giant Mickey Mouse that was given to me when I was about 3 years old! He sits happily on a chair in the corner of my room :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2005 8:20 pm 
Hangin' with the big boys

I've got an old plush too! "Nickey"'s been with me for all 27 years of my life. He still sleeps in my bed.

Coincidentally, my girlfriend, who is another huge plush fan like myself, came over yesterday and we spent the afternoon meeting and greeting all my plush. Silly? maybe. Immature? Probably. Fun as heck? You betcha. Who cares about the other two.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2005 5:22 am 
active in the community

man...I was just at Downtown Disney last week. I didn't pay any attention to the plush dolls or I woulda walked out of there with a jedi Mickey!!!! That thing is too cool! great column!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 9:54 pm 
Dog Squeezer

Hey JJJ!

Sorry it's taken so long, but got around to checking out your columns.

Great stuff.

That TRU story about the kid and the Troobian is priceless!

Man the way you got that Mantis...FOR SHAME! :lol:

I see kids and parents at TRU often, and sadly most times it the whiney crying kid, mean impatient parent.

But sometimes I try to help out.

Sadly most stores I hit are so picked over that the best I can do is point em to a different store...

I'm going to have a column over at Matt Iron Cow's fine site very soon!

Hopefully it's half as good as yours!

SpyMagician

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 10:30 pm 
ABS

SpyMagician wrote:

I'm going to have a column over at Matt Iron Cow's fine site very soon!

SpyMagician

Just tell me when and where to show up and I'l click there, Spy. Thank you so much for the kind words. I hope you'll keep reading.

-JJJ

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 6:26 pm 
Dog Squeezer

JJJason wrote:
Just tell me when and where to show up and I'l click there, Spy. Thank you so much for the kind words. I hope you'll keep reading.

-JJJ

It's up!

http://www.ironcowprod.com/forums/viewf ... 5f75c3cc35

Lemme know what a REAL writer thinks!

It's just an intro, the reel meaty stuff comes later! :)

SpyMagician

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 11:14 pm 
ABS

I liked it, Spy. I think it will be interesting to learn about the customizer's lot and philosophy as I am not one myself.

Although I CAN relate with something you've already said. Even in the few simple head-switches and paint aps I've done, there's quite a feeling of power involved. When I switched the heads on the movie Grimms (something I'm glad to read you decided to do yourself) I looked at the resulting figure, which I love, and thought, "I did this. I made this figure this great."

Of course, all I did was switch two totally pre-made heads onto two totally pre-made bodies, but still, it was the creation of something new, and there's always satisfaction in that.

-JJJ

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2005 10:16 pm 
Dog Squeezer

Thanks JJJ!

I think I'll add more pics to the following columns to make it a bit more meaty.

But yeah, I thought long and hard about why I customize and there's a good deal of power and satisfaction.

After all, the initial impulse to customize usually grows out of the feeling of "WHY won't X company do this?" and then you realize you should just do it yourself!

SpyMagician