Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 12:53 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Fantastic Four Recasting...
PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 9:13 pm 
ABS

Bwah, gotcha! It's about the toys.

Over the last two days I've picked up Series 2 Thing and Mr. Fantastic. They have immediately replaced their Series 1 counterparts in my display.

As I told my esteemed colleague SpyMagician over at AFI, I tought I could live with Series 1 Thing's sound features and limited articulation because I absolutely love the headsculpt. I couldn't. The cut joints are poorly angled, he's not quite big enough, and the paint on the gimmicked leg is awful (I was really picky at the pegs, too). So, I resolved to find Series 2 Thing and switch the heads. Found him yesterday, made the switch and the resultant figure is easily one of my favorite figures in a while. The Series 2 Thing head, by the way, is ghastly, even though I think it's probably closer to the movie suit than Series 1.

On to Mr. Fantastic. I thought I was happy with the Series 1 version until I picked up Series 2 Reed today. Infinitely better sculpt, proportions, paint, colors, likeness, detail and articulation. It's as though Series 1 Reed is from the first movie, and Series 2 is the better figure they make for the sequel, ala Magneto. I didn't even bother with the gimmicked arms, because I all wanted was a good, basic Reed, but the flat head in a cute, cool touch (and a great likeness in it's own right).

As for the Storms, I'm more than happy with Series 1 Johnny. I have phasing Sue, but I'm keeping her MOC for the time being as a back-up in case I never find the solid version.

In any event, I guess my point here is don't buy Series 1 Reed unless you're in love with the idea of the stretchy limb extensions and go with Series 2 Thing if you only buy one, but add Series 1's head for Grimm perfection.

-JJJ

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 10:34 pm 
Dog Squeezer

I already replied to your post on rtm, but since that will die fast due to trolling, here it is again:

Just got my S2 Ben.

That head is so ugly! (How ugly is it?)

It's so ugly I have to go out and buy a S1 Ben ASAP and swap it!

He looks like a snaggle toothed slack jawed IDIOT!

Horrific!

curses. I knew I should have gotten a S1 Ben just in case of such an emergency!

SpyMagician

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 11:00 pm 
ABS

SpyMagician wrote:
I already replied to your post on rtm, but since that will die fast due to trolling, here it is again:

Just got my S2 Ben.

That head is so ugly! (How ugly is it?)

It's so ugly I have to go out and buy a S1 Ben ASAP and swap it!

He looks like a snaggle toothed slack jawed IDIOT!

Horrific!

curses. I knew I should have gotten a S1 Ben just in case of such an emergency!

SpyMagician

To me, it looks like Series 2 Ben is about to cry. Maybe that happens in the movie, but I didn't particularly want a figure commemorating it.

-JJJ

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 5:10 am 
active in the community

I think the series 2 reed head is too big. And the torso joint doesn't stay in the right position...at least on mine. He's either puffing out his chest or slouching. Series 1 johnny is definately better than series 1.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 3:17 pm 
active in the community

I already replaced boxset Sue with Alba Invisible Woman in my proper ML setup, costume consistency be damned. I may do the same with the Movie Torch too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 6:24 pm 
shirtless hugger

Movie Torch(2), Reed(1), and Sue(1) are my new standard FF along with FF boxset Thing.