Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 8:48 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Does Tom Cruise have likeness licensing issues?
PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2005 9:11 am 
Fugitive Dust

How come we have never seen a line based on a Tom Cruise flick? Aside from a small run by some forgettable company that made very crappy Mission:Impossible toys figs that looked nothing like Cruise, there has never been any. Not that I necessarily want a Cruise fig, but some of his movies could have had great lines in the right company's hands. Besides the Mission:Impossible franchise, we could have had Minority Report toys (who wouldn't want one of those awesome hoverships?!), we could have War of the Worlds toys, even Far & Away toys - which everyone would want to see realized :wink:

I just think it's odd - maybe it's some Scientology thing (although we did get those craptastic Battlefield Earth toys, so that must not be it.)

Anybody know? Or care to comment?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2005 12:14 am 
Dog Squeezer

Ya answered your own question pally!

Poor old Tom was probably so traumatized by those craptacular Mission Impossible figures that he's sworn off action figures FOREVER!

:lol:

SpyMagician

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2005 3:51 pm 
Crime Against Nature

The answer is even simpler than that.

Tom Cruise doesn't star in many (if any) "toy-ific" films. Toy makers finally started wising up that just because it's a blockbuster doesn't mean it will translate into a good toy property with legs.

In general, humans don't sell unless it's a military line, or a doll line. I don't think there has been a single successful toy line that had modern day humans with no aliens/robots/costumes in it.

Fantasy elements alone won't sell a line. Examples: Waterworld, Congo, Mission Impossible, Phantom, Shadow, Godzilla, Starship Troopers, ID4, Robocop, Robin Hood, etc. Some of these lines did OK, but none lasted for more than a couple of assortments or into the next year. Western properties do OK historically, for the "cowboys and indians" aspect, but I don't know if any have been made in 20 years.

A successful film property must have a large dpeth of character to draw on, and more than that UNIQUE characters for it to be a hit. I fear King Kong is headed down this path since the line seems devoid of humans, vehicles, or playsets. Jurassic Park is the single hit line that had normal humans, but it succeeded in large part on a plethora of dinos. E.T. may be a giant hit (same with, say, Back to the Future) but you can't build toylines around a single character or a car.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2005 9:44 pm 
Factory Worker

I cannot attest to any validity what so ever in my following statment. This is hearsay based off of hearsay and a possibility based off statments that have never been proven.

But what is the internet for if not for talking out of your behind and makeing up crap? :lol:

Any way, here goes a "Possible" soloution to your inquiry.

Several years ago the possbility of Pulp Fiction figures was supposedly shot down because Travoltas involvment in scientology prohibited him from haveing action figures made in his likness. No idea what so ever if their is any truth in this, but if it is true the Cruises involvment in Scientology could also lead to the same conclusion.

Just a thought based on a rumor based on a bigoted fearful interpratation of some one elses religion. :lol:

and excuse my spelling. :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2005 5:54 pm 
"You can set your clock to his haircut"

Nah after his visit to London I would say water issues.

:D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2005 6:08 pm 
Crime Against Nature

Bloody Thumb wrote:
Several years ago the possbility of Pulp Fiction figures was supposedly shot down because Travoltas involvment in scientology prohibited him from haveing action figures made in his likness.

I'm going to call urban legend on this, simply because we got Travolta figures (of a sort) with BattleField Earth.

Plus, we could easily have had a Pulp Fiction line without Vincent Vega. Not a complete line, but then the original SW never got Tarkin.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2005 6:24 pm 
proverbial old fart

Does anybody really WANT a Tom Cruise action figure?!?!?! :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2005 9:30 pm 
You hear that? We're using CODE names...

My Northstar figure is lonely.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2005 9:38 pm 
my tummy itches

Not to mention, Battlefield Earth is a scientology novel

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 7:21 am 
ABS

ANSWERS!

Okay, the Travolta thing... I spoke to the Plan-B guys about this 2 Toy Fairs ago. The reason there are limited Travolta toys *IS* specific to the Scientology aspect. He simply didn't want to have his likeness carved into an idol/toy.

Now, there was the exception for Battlefield Earth, due to it promoting L. Ron Hubbard (I think) who was a founder of Scientology.

ToyBiz had supposedly approached Travolta about the possibility of developing a figure for his PUNISHER Movie villain, but Travolta chose not to allow it. PLAN-B *was* however, able to secure the rights, because Travolta felt it would be a good role model for kids to have Fire Fighter action figures, and felt the 'good cause' outweighed his personal beliefs.

At least, that's directly what we were told from PLAN-B in regards to their Ladder 44 toys.

Tom Cruise? Who knows... I can understand if that is his personal belief that his likeness shouldn't be made into an "idol" or toy, but I wouldn't know either way. Maybe it's due to his personal beliefs, maybe it's due to some pretty horrific attempts in the past. Either way, I'd love some Minority Report figures. ;

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 7:35 am 
Fugitive Dust

Quote:
My Northstar figure is lonely.

Man - good one!

Thanks for the interest in the topic guys. It just seemed in the past week or so that things around here were getting a little slow - and we kinda stopped having fun "what if" type convos.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 8:52 am 
shirtless hugger

Iron-Cow wrote:
He simply didn't want to have his likeness carved into an idol/toy.

I certainly do worship at the feet of the Jessica Alba toys so I can understand that.

I always figured Cruise didn't want his big nose rendered in 3D.