Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Wed Jul 30, 2014 3:15 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2005 9:40 pm 
You hear that? We're using CODE names...

Willow.

I'd actually make figures for this instead of the crappy PVCs they gave us.
A magic midget and a sword wielding Val Kilmer = GOLD

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 7:48 am 
Fugitive Dust

Wow - a Willow reference. Probably would make a cool line - especially if they were compatible with Toy Biz's LOTR line. For that matter, re-do Dungeons & Dragons (that old LJN line was great) in the same scale and style, and we'd have some great fantasy based figs out there. And Legend (except no Cruise likeness, obviously). And Labyrinth. And Dark Crystal. Hell, re-do the old Crystar figures.

I'm a huge comic book/superhero fan, but with a few exceptions (Transformers, G.I. Joe, wrestling)., they pretty much dominate the shelves nowadays. Every toy line is based on a licensed property, and we really don't get any fresh ideas like it seems we used to; companies don't seem to be wanting to take the chance on something that isn't synergistically marketed with other media tie-ins.

It used to be, it would start with the toy line (G.I. Joe, MOTU, hell, stuff like Bravestarr), then they would get (usually almost simultaneously) the Marvel Comic and the animated series. Would a company take a risk on something like Visionaries or Air Raiders nowadays? Not likely. Kind of sad.

Of course, re-doing old lines isn't really that creative either, but hey, we're nostalgic if nothing else.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2005 9:30 pm 
"You can set your clock to his haircut"

Actually I'd love to see a new Dungeons and Dragons line, but instead of re doing the old series I'd go with all new characters or character from the novels TSR put out some time ago. And even though the movie was a dissapointment some of the characters would make for cool figures.
The thing with these is hasbro owns tsr, so they wouldn't have to pay royalties to anyone.

Post subject: Easy!
PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2005 10:52 pm 
Cold-cast

This one's easy! Batman (as in 1989). A Michael Keaton-looking Batman along with a Jack Nicholson-looking Joker (after all, he had a piece of the license), plus Bob (wait, we got him :lol: ) Commissioner Gordon (he'd have to come with some Gotham City playset), a movie canon Batcave (I don't remember the Batcave having red railings) and Vicki Vale. Yeah, this would be a terrible selling line, but whatever.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2005 5:05 am 
buzz word garbage hater

Probably Batman Beyond. It's a shame a show so great, with designs that were so excellent had a toy line that completely missed the boat.

Show accurate versions of

Batman (Terry)
Batman (Bruce on his last mission)
Bruce
Comm Gordon
Jokerz
The Joker
Mr. Freeze
Spellbinder
Inque
The list goes on and on. Just suffice it to say that if you look at the toy line for this show, you would have no idea how great it was, which is sad.

Post subject: The Boy Who Lived Line....
PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2005 2:41 pm 
Fugitive Dust

Harry Potter!

My dream line would consist of HP toys along the same lines of the Star Wars brand figures:

-small figures, 3-4 inches
this size enables children to collect the figures and resonably sized playsets.

-universe encompassing characters (from movies and books)
the last movie had a release of perfect sized figures and playsets! Too bad they only focused on about 5 characters from the movie. I wish they'd have used characters from the first 3 movies, and from the (at the time) newest book Order of the Phoenix.

figures I would includede:
Harry, Ron, Hermione, Neville, Fred, George, Ginny, Percy, Seamus, Dean, Oliver Wood, Draco, Crabbe, Goyle, Cedric Diggory, Snape, Hagrid, McGonagall, Dumbledore, Filtch (with Mrs. Norris!), Sir Nicholas, Peeves, Tom Riddle, Myrtle, Voldemort, Quirrell, Prof. Lupin, Trelawney, Peter Pettigrew, Rita Skeeter, Sirius, the Dursleys, Cho Chang, Colin & Dennis Creevey, Fleur Delacour, Viktor Krum, Lucius Malfoy, Mr. & Mrs. Weasley, Prof. Binns, Prof. Flitwick, Karkaroff, Mme. Maxime, Mad-Eye Moody, Madam Pomfrey, Prof Sprout, Mundungus, Fudge, the Lestranges, Macnair, Mr. Ollivander

creatures:
Buckbeak, Dementors, Dobby, Errol, Fang, Fat Lady Portrait, Fawkes, Hedwig, Mercheiftaness Murcus, Winky, Wormtail as a rat, Fluffy, a troll, a unicorn, Firenze, Basilisk, Aragog

-playsets
Hogwarts Castle---put Castle Greyskull to shame! No, put Eternia to shame! Tons of hidden features and sounds. Paintings that move via lenticular tech. Secret passages. 3 feet tall. Dungeon Snape classroom, Myrtle's bathroom, Library, Great Hall, Dumbledore's office, Gryffindor Common room, Harry's room with four poster bed, hospital wing, generic classrooms, prefects bathroom, owlrey, etc.

Diagon Alley shops like Ollivanders and Flourish and Blotts...
Hogsmeade shops

The graveyard circle that Voldemort returned in (with exclusive Deatheaters)

Hagrid's Hut, Quidditch Pitch, Weasley House, Forbidden Forest Playset, Sorceror's Stone Playset (puzzle rooms), Goblet of Fire maze with Sphinx and goblet portkey, Ministry of Magic playset with curtained arch...ahhh I'll stop now.

I hope Mattel revisits this scale and puts more effort into it! I know I would!

Joel