Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 7:41 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: My Masters of the Universe Thoughts (Part 2 of 2)
PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2005 10:46 pm 
ABS

If you read my last column here at AFI, you know there are times I regret leaving a line and end up reacquiring it, sum or in part, via ebay. Well, it's happening again, with He-Man.

Several months ago I ebayed my entire 2002 Masters of the Universe collection with the exception of Skeletor and Evil Lyn. The line's bloody, sloppy death at the hands of Mattel's butchers (and apathetic kids) pissed me off to a degree I just said eff this. That, and I probably needed some fast cash, but I don't remember. Also, I have a small, mixed collection of vintage and commemorative figures anyway, so I didn't feel it was any big loss to dump the new guys.

Now, I miss them. Well, some of them. And I find myself still really wanting one I never had to begin with.

Masters of the Universe has always been a nostalgic, sentimental favorite of mine. I don't think I ever had as much fun with action figures as I did the summer the Evil Horde hit the pegs. The new Hordak Staction Figure is calling my name. At first I figured eh, I can get him and he'll probably look cool displayed with my remnant Skeletor and Evil Lyn, who are currently resting in their opened packages.

Now I don't think that will be enough.

One of the other reasons I think I ebayed the 2002 lot a while back is I bought everyone, but I don't LIKE everyone. Man-E-Faces, Buzz-Off and Mekanek are lame characters and I thought so when I was eight. Why did I race all over looking for them? The Snake Men are pretty cool, but they're no Evil Horde. Yet I killed myself trying to find them. I loved the vintage Two-Bad figure, but the new one was pretty m'eh.

Orko? ORKO?!

Also, with the new cartoon a fading memory, some of the choices made there leave some of the figures hanging. Prince Adam as a kid? Nah.

So, here's what I'm thinking...

This is going to be heresy to most He-Fans but, for me, the mini-comics were always the best MOTU fiction. I think they are what's kept me attached to the vintage style guys for this long.

I think what I'd like to do is re-collect my favorite of the 2002 MOTU figures as though they were based on the old mini-comics. After all, the core characters in the new collection were clearly based on the old model art found in the earliest mini-comics (barefoot Skeletor, hulking Beast Man, Mer-Man's head design, etc). That's something I loved about the new line to begin with and definitely forgot along the way.

My remaining Skeletor and Evil Lyn are a head start, but I want He-Man (Iron Cross this time, mini-comic-accurate, you know), Man-At-Arms, Beast Man, Roboto and maybe Teela back.

I want Trap Jaw back. Maybe I'll go for the green one that was right out of, you guessed it, his origin mini-comic.

Whiplash? FISTO? Maybe. This is starting to sound fun.

And I want the Hordak Staction Figure. And I want the SDCC King Randor. And I want the Staction Grizzlor when he comes out.

AND I want the ToyFare Faker. He's the one that got away, never had him to behin with.

Yes, I'll only re-collect the ones I wanted in the first place. I think I may be on to something. For now and for the future.

Just don't tell my wife what I'm about to do.

-JJJ