Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2019 5:54 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Playstation Classic coming December 3, 2018
PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 5:43 pm 
World's Greatest SuperHero!

Never owned a Playstation before, but thought the board would be interested in this.

https://blog.us.playstation.com/2018/09 ... ded-games/

Sony's business model is very much unlike Nintendo's. They create a ton of machines and titles because they actually want people to buy them. Nintendo thinks like a toy company, and is always trying to create the next scarce fad. Sony is an actual business and actually wants people to buy their merchandise. I expect these to be much easier to find than the Nintendo Classics.

Disney Afternoon Wishlist: Huey, Dewey, Louie, Webby, Gosalyn, Honker, Negaduck, Megavolt, Bushroot, Quackerjack, Liquidator, Kit, Rebecca, Molly, Wildcat, Don Karnage, Shere Khan, Monterey Jack, Fat Cat, Cubbi, Tummi, Zummi, Grammi, Zummi, Sunni, Gusto.

Post subject: Re: Playstation Classic coming December 3, 2018
PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 11:38 am 
Aspires to be #1

I imagine they will, but I expect them to find a much softer market too. Playstation games have not aged well and unlike the NES and SNES, the target "nostalgia" market is most likely in college, not early thirties and working. It's also more expensive. I expect it to do much better in Japan.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 4:36 pm 

I don't expect it to sell as well either, but at least it will be easier to find. I'm probably going to pass though.

Disney Afternoon Wishlist: Huey, Dewey, Louie, Webby, Gosalyn, Honker, Negaduck, Megavolt, Bushroot, Quackerjack, Liquidator, Kit, Rebecca, Molly, Wildcat, Don Karnage, Shere Khan, Monterey Jack, Fat Cat, Cubbi, Tummi, Zummi, Grammi, Zummi, Sunni, Gusto.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 12:54 pm 
Shudders at the Thought of Swamp-Crotch Chafing

Now that Nintendo made a second run I’m finding the NES and SNES classics everywhere. In abundance too. If you are still having a hard time in your area it might be a regional distribution problem.

How many do you want? I’ve got plenty out here.

I suspect the PS.classic will ru; much the same. First run will be near impossible to get at reatail, then a second run will sit everywhere.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 11:58 am 

I don't think the first run will be impossible to find. The system is less in demand than the NES and SNES and Playstation always well stocks their stuff. People won't be waiting two years to get these.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 1:13 pm 

Full list of games revealed:

- Battle Arena Toshinden
- Cool Boarders 2
- Destruction Derby
- Final Fantasy VII
- Grand Theft Auto
- Intelligent Qube
- Jumping Flash
- Metal Gear Solid
- Mr Driller
- Oddworld: Abe’s Oddysee
- Rayman
- Resident Evil Director’s Cut
- Revelations: Persona
- Ridge Racer Type 4
- Super Puzzle Fighter II Turbo
- Syphon Filter
- Tekken 3
- Tom Clancy’s Rainbow Six
- Twisted Metal
- Wild Arms

Easy pass for me. I always wanted to try Crash Bandicoot, Spyro the Dragon, and Tomb Raider, but if they aren't there, there's no reason to spend a 100 dollars on this. That's right. The retail price is 100 dollars. Nope. Not getting it.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 5:03 am 
Aspires to be #1

Maybe I'm too old for this to be nostalgic for me but none of those games appeal to me. The first GTA I remember being good was 3 and the second Twisted Metal was leaps and bounds better than the first. The Playstation games just didn't age well.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 11:04 am 
picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue

Ha, I still have all my PS1 games and they play fine on my old PS2, so easy pass for me. The NES Classic is awesome, though.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2018 10:55 am 
Shudders at the Thought of Swamp-Crotch Chafing

Even though I have no intention of picking this up, I am enjoying the television commercial for the system.

Wish Nintendo would've done one.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2018 12:53 pm 
Loose, Missing Package

I think the biggest drawback to this (and to a lesser degree the Nintendo ones) is that people have gotten used to the licensed retro consoles that have 40 to 80 games built-in at the $40 price point (or less if you're talking about the ones that are all contained in a controller).

There was a link on the front page a couple weeks back for a Kickstarter that was offering a somewhat reprogrammable Colecovision. It would play the old cartridges and Atari 2600 games but it something like $200 for just a console, no games, no controllers, not even sure if it came with cables. They missed their mark by large margin and I'm sure it was them overestimating a customer base that would want something that technically complex mainly to play 8-/16-bit games (never sure where the CV fell in the bit category). Why would the average person with a bit of Colecovision nostalgia pay $200 for just a system when they could get one with 40-80 games built-in for less than a fourth of that price?

What amazes me is that someone hasn't made a mass-market retro-console for the TurboGraphix or the Vectrex.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 1:26 pm 

Kid Courage and Bonk? I'd get that.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 12:47 pm 

Jim_Abell wrote:
I think the biggest drawback to this (and to a lesser degree the Nintendo ones) is that people have gotten used to the licensed retro consoles that have 40 to 80 games built-in at the $40 price point (or less if you're talking about the ones that are all contained in a controller).
I got one of those controllers this week with 12 games on it for $20 bucks. I played the Atari game Escape it!. It was fun. For 10 minutes. I mastered it after 20, and was quickly bored because there is no variation in gameplay. I can't imagine being a parent in the 1980's and shelling out 50 bucks for that game for their kids to get bored with it after 20 minutes. It's true I didn't try the 2 player mode but that can't be THAT much more fun. I imagine the dusty, barely played cartridges for Escape It! were one of the reasons garage sales were invented.