It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 10:05 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: I Am Legend 2
PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 1:06 pm 
Editor Emeritus of SDCC

I Am Legend 2 Rights Sealed Up

Source: ShockTillYouDrop.com

January 3, 2008

Given the box office figures, this shouldn't come as any surprise.

An inside source, who wishes to remain anonymous, tells ShockTillYouDrop.com author Richard Matheson has signed off on sequel rights for the smash hit I Am Legend. Matheson wrote the original 1954 novel upon which Francis Lawrence's film is based.

This does not necessarily mean a sequel is a "go." It simply gives Warner Bros. peace of mind should they find the right direction to take the story in and opt to move forward on a second chapter. If that does happen, it would be the first time the "Legend" material was sequelized.

Mike
(Image)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 1:27 pm 
buzz word garbage hater

HORRIBLE idea.

HORRIBLE

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 2:13 pm 
An Insider

Yeah, the story was told. What more do we need?

-R

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 3:12 pm 
wears suits so fine they make Sinatra look like a hobo

Legend 2: Electric Boogaloo

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 3:45 pm 
Super Amigo Fantastico!

Legend 2/Resident Evil 4 : This Time, it REALLY Sucks

Peace,

Chip

Post subject: Re: I Am Legend 2
PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 10:15 am 
Editor Emeritus of SDCC

Warner Bros. Moving Forward with More I Am Legend

by SuperHeroHype

February 17, 2012

It has been a long time since we've heard anything about a follow-up to Warner Bros.' 2007 blockbuster I Am Legend, but now Deadline is reporting that the studio has closed deals with Akiva Goldsman and Will Smith's Overbrook Entertainment to make another film. The original, made for about $150 million, earned a massive $585.3 million worldwide.

Acording to the site, "the intention is for Will Smith to reprise his role as scientist Robert Neville, who was the last man on earth doing battle with a mutated mob in New York City after an apocalyptic man-made virus wiped out the population."

Arash Amel (upcoming The Expatriate and Grace of Monaco) has been hired to write the script.

Deadline adds that the film is not being called a prequel, so it will be interesting what story they will tell considering the events that took place in I Am Legend. The site is unsure if director Francis Lawrence will return.

Will Smith said this was the idea about three years ago: "It's essentially the fall of the last city – the last stand of Manhattan. The movie would be...within the body of the movie D.C. and then Manhattan would fall as the last city. It's a really cool idea trying to figure it out...there's a reason why we have to take a small band and we have to get into D.C. So we have to make our way from New York to D.C. and then back to New York."

We'll have to wait and see if that's still the case.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 10:18 am 
Aspires to be #1

This idea doesn't make any sense, especially considering how the first movie ended.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 10:25 am 
too much stick, not enough carrot

Maybe he'll be there as a ghost, advising the ghostbusters.. oh wait sorry. Wrong sequel.

This makes zero sense to me. It was a good movie, move along.

DC/WB is all like "Wonder Woman's too confusing for a movie!" and Marvel/Disney is all like "Here's a raccoon with a machine gun".

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 11:18 am 
Disney is not his cup of tea

Is it set before?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 5:34 pm 
Editor Emeritus of SDCC

From IGN:

Will Smith Not Really into I Am Legend 2

Actor also addresses why he left Django Unchained.

by Scott Collura

June 14, 2012

We've heard rumblings of an I Am Legend 2 in recent months, but the big question mark surrounding the project has been Will Smith's involvement. And now that's looking like less of a question mark.

“Producers are working on it,” Smith tells the BBC (as per Eurweb.com). “I’m not actually working on it. If it’s great, I’m into it.”

When asked if he'd reconsider, the actor said, "Probably not." Could this be because his character got killed at the end of the first film? It's not like that's ever stopped a sequel from happening before…

And speaking of Smith, he was also asked recently about why he bailed on the title role in Quentin Tarantino's Django Unchained. He told Empire the following: "I came really close, it was one of the most amazing screenplays I had ever ever seen. I was in the middle of Men in Black 3 and [Tarantino] was ready to go, and I just couldn't sit with him and get through the issues, so I didn't want to hold him up. That thing's going to be ridiculous. It is a genius screenplay."

Which issues would that be? It's not clear. In any event, the role, of course, went to Jamie Foxx instead.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 10:58 am 
Editor Emeritus of SDCC

Akiva Goldsman Details Plans for the Now-Defunct I Am Legend 2

SuperHeroHype

Feb 12, 2014

It was nearly two years ago that there was last a solid update on the status of a sequel to director Francis Lawrence's 2007, I Am Legend. Now, with his directorial debut, Winter's Tale, landing in theaters this week, screenwriter Akiva Goldsman tells io9 that, despite some real ideas about how to continue the franchise, the sequel is not moving forward.

"Oh we tried," Goldsman tells the outlet. "There were scripts. We really tried… We wrote a prequel [and] a sequel. We had a really interesting prequel, which was the first outbreak of the virus, during a Thanksgiving Day parade, which was awesome. We did a really interesting prequel that [took place] later. Which was right after the first… Really right when the population of of humans became pretty decimated. And it was this sort of trek to Washington. Which included a dark seeker elephant that had broken out of the zoo."

The original film, based on the 1954 novel by Richard Matheson, starred Will Smith as scientist Robert Neville. Made for around $150 million, it grossed over $585 million at the worldwide box office.