Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Wed Apr 23, 2014 12:58 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Cloverfield 2
PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 5:59 pm 
Editor Emeritus of SDCC

From IGN:

Matt Reeves on Cloverfield 2

Helmer talks sequels after movie's monster opening weekend.

UK, January 21, 2008 - After Cloverfield's, erm, monstrous opening weekend in the states ($40m to date), you can bet the bean-counters at Paramount are already thinking about sequels.

And it seems that the film's director Matt Reeves is up for the idea, if his comments in an interview with the good people at comingsoon.net are anything to go by.

Here's what he said: (SPOILERS AHEAD) "This was so fun 'cause we'd never done anything like it, and I think we'd want to find a similar challenge, to find a way to have its roots in this but be fresh and new, otherwise you're just repeating yourself."

"There's a moment on the Brooklyn Bridge, and there was a guy filming something on the side of the bridge, and Hud sees him filming and he turns over and he sees the ship that's been capsized and sees the headless Statue of Liberty, and then he turns back and this guy's briefly filming him."

"In my mind that was two movies intersecting for a brief moment, and I thought there was something interesting in the idea that this incident happened and there are so many different points of view, and there are several different movies at least happening that evening and we just saw one piece of another."

"That idea sort of tickled me. We'll have to see if anyone would want a sequel. If the movie does well and we find a compelling reason to do so then it would be fun to do a sequel."

"Did you see the thing in the last shot? In the final shot there's a little something, and I don't wanna say what it is. The final shot before the titles. The stuff at Coney Island, there's a little something there and I don't want to give it away 'cause the fun is sort of to find it, but I will say this: there's a funny thing, you look at the shot and until you see it you don't see it and you really don't see it and obviously you don't 'cause none of you have seen it, but once you see it you'll never stop seeing it."

So another film following the same event from a different point of view? Interesting or just repetitive? And for those who've seen the film, what was "the thing in the final shot"? Your views please!

Mike
( 8) )

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 5:29 am 
buzz word garbage hater

The 'thing in the final shot' is:

[spoiler]You can see something fall into the ocean in the background of the final Coney Island shot. It's the monster falling to Earth.[/spoiler]

That said, I'm much rather see either:

1) The movie from the PoV of a news crew or something like that, with slightly more stable camera shots.

or

2) A 'post event' documentary type movie.

I have no real desire to see another 'shaky cam people running away from the monster' type movie. I liked this one, I don't know what another one in the same style could add.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 7:05 am 
Super Amigo Fantastico!

Yeah, but is the final shot :

[spoiler]"Falling to Earth" as in 'dead,' or "falling to Earth" as in 'diving back into the ocean?'[/spoiler]

Peace,

Chip

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 7:40 am 
Crime Against Nature

I'm guessing you haven't seen the film.

It's more or less a flashback. There are earlier events scattered throughout the film.

J.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 9:36 pm 
Editor Emeritus of SDCC

Paramount Planning Cloverfield Sequel

Source: comingsoon.net

January 31, 2008

Matt Reeves is in early talks with Paramount to direct a Cloverfield sequel, and, as was previously announced, he has also made a deal with GreeneStreet Films to direct The Invisible Woman.

Variety says the timing of the projects will depend on how quickly Paramount can complete discussions with Reeves, producer J.J. Abrams and writer Drew Goddard to come up with another monster story for the Cloverfield sequel. There's a good chance the sequel will be Reeves' next film, in which case he will direct The Invisible Woman afterward.

"Woman" is a Hitchcock-style thriller that probes the mind of a former beauty queen who turns to a life of crime to protect her family.

Reeves wrote the script and will produce with Abrams and GreeneStreet's John Penotti, Fisher Stevens and Tim Williams.

Mike
( 8) )

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 5:35 pm 
Editor Emeritus of SDCC

Abrams Not Sure About Cloverfield 2?

Source: comingsoon.net

May 16, 2008

SCI FI Wire talked to J.J. Abrams, who said that the Cloverfield team might want to do another project instead of a sequel.

"We're talking about it," he said, "But the truth is there's another idea that I'd rather do with the same people than do a sequel. It's a whole new thing."

You can read more of what he had to say here.

Mike
( 8) )

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 3:19 am 
Knows his stuff

I kinda like the idea of a news crew being caught on the 'front line' kinda thing, cut off, can't get out (or won't leave), trying to report what's going on to the world, and maybe uncovering a few things as well...

Of course they could also go with an 'Aliens' type approach, and follow a special forces team thta have been sent in, each member having a shoulder/helmet mounted camera and sound rig, like the colonial marines gear in Aliens. Have a 'tape' edited together utilizing that footage.

There are a lot of different approaches that could be taken.

That said though, I kinda wonder is a sequel is even needed or necessary, might just be best to leave the first one alone, and let it stnd on it's own.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 2:49 pm 
Hangin' with the big boys

I loved the movie & while I'd be curious to see how they would "attack" a sequel, I'm hoping that they DON'T make a sequel.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 4:58 am 
Editor Emeritus of SDCC

J.J. Abrams Addresses Cloverfield 2

Source:shocktillyoudrop.com

January 15, 2010

You think J.J. Abrams will ever open up on his big projects? Of course not! Not unless it's The Dark Tower adaptation or any other project he's decided to depart.

Lost. Star Trek 2. Cloverfield 2. Ask him about any of these things, you're always going to get a coy answer. Nevertheless, MTV offered him a query about the status of a Cloverfield sequel and here's what he said: "We're working on something right now with that and again, you know, it's early stages."

There you go.

Cloverfield director Matt Reeves is currently in principal photography on Let Me In and the monster movie's writer Drew Goddard is off supervising The Cabin in the Woods' transition from 2-D to 3-D for 2011. So those two are busy. And so is Abrams. It might be a while until we see another Cloverfield beastie smashing a city...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 6:22 am 
HEY! New guy! GET HIM!

SDcomics wrote:
J.J. Abrams Addresses Cloverfield 2
Cloverfield director Matt Reeves is currently in principal photography on Let Me In.

Matt Reeves just made me "people who need to get kicked in the nuts" list for remaking a fantastic foreign film that doesn't need to get dumb-ed down for an American Audience.
Watch "Let the Right One In" and read the subtitles, or miss out on a great film.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 10:37 am 
Editor Emeritus of SDCC

From IGN:

Cloverfield 2 Chatter

(Statue of Liberty) heads will roll again.

by Scott Collura

January 20, 2010 - Matt Reeves' Cloverfield was really pretty good in retrospect. Perhaps the victim of its own hype, the shaky-cam version of a giant-monster movie was really quite a ride and an original spin on an age-old genre. Of course, there's been talk about a sequel to the film since before the original was even released, and now Reeves is addressing the matter once again.

While talking to MTV, Reeves admitted that a Cloverfield 2 continues to "percolate."

"There are ideas that come up and they go away and come back and, to be honest, I can't really tell you whether or not, or how exactly, it will happen, and, in fact, it may happen with me in a very differently capacity," he says. "I might not even direct it. It really just completely depends on how things come together. I know that there definitely is an intention to do something, and we really want to do something great, and it just comes down to how things develop."

Part of the equation of getting the film made has to do with how busy the original's creative team is. Reeves is currently shooting his Let the Right One In remake, writer Drew Goddard is hard at work on Cabin in the Woods, and Abrams… well, he's got a project here or there that he's involved with too.

"It is literally constantly evolving, and it may come out in a form that is completely surprising and very, very different," continues Reeves.

Different like maybe it'll be the Lincoln Memorial's head that goes flying this time?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 5:09 am 
Collector Inspector

Maybe different like it's "footage" from a different source of the same events from the same time and it centers around a news crew. there would probably be less shakiness with the camera cause it's a professional cameraman holding a professional camera. just a shot in the dark there.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 5:38 am 
buzz word garbage hater

shishalzafrazz wrote:
Maybe different like it's "footage" from a different source of the same events from the same time and it centers around a news crew. there would probably be less shakiness with the camera cause it's a professional cameraman holding a professional camera. just a shot in the dark there.

I would go see that movie. That was my hope from the very beginning.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 6:17 am 
Armored Avenger of Arduous Aspirations

Just make sure the second one has a lot more Monster and a lot less whiney 20-somethings.

Trade Rating +55 and counting

Post subject: Re: Cloverfield 2
PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 1:00 pm 
Editor Emeritus of SDCC

Matt Reeves On The Rumored Cloverfield 2

Source:shocktillyoudrop.com

March 13, 2010

MTV caught up with director Matt Reeves at this weekend's South By Southwest festival and pressed for details on a proposed sequel to his 2008 hit Cloverfield.

"I can tell you nothing, [but] there are these spikes in activity. There are things that we keep talking about and things spike up. It very well may happen."

Not too different from what JJ Abrams told MTV back in January. We imagine when schedules line up for Reeves, Abrams, producer Bryan Burk and screenwriter Drew Goddard, we'll hear something more concrete.

In the meantime, Reeves is in post-production on his latest feature Let Me In starring Chloe Moretz and Kodi Smit-McPhee, the remake of the beloved Swedish classic Let The Right One In. More on both when we hear it.