Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Tue Sep 16, 2014 9:39 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Re: Cloverfield 2
PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 9:20 am 
proverbial old fart

I finally saw the first one on DVD and must confess that I wasn't all that impressed.

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 10:03 pm 
Editor Emeritus of SDCC

UPDATE: Secret J.J. Abrams Trailer with Iron Man 2?

Source: comingsoon.net

May 4, 2010

Does anyone remember when a mysterious teaser for a new J.J. Abrams movie appeared in front of Michael Bay's Transformers three years ago? We do, and at the time, it was one of the most exciting and surprising things to happen in quite some time, because it effectively kicked off an intense viral campaign that had many people playing a guessing game about every aspect of a movie that turned out to be Cloverfield.

Apparently, J.J. Abrams and Paramount are at it again, and thanks to the detecting skills of Drew McWeeny at HitFix--yes, the former "Moriarty" from Ain't It Cool is now playing "Sherlock Holmes"--we can expect another "secret" teaser trailer in front of Iron Man 2 on Friday.

Except this time, not even the theater projectionists will be able to have a look at it before Thursday because Paramount has sent all the trailers for the movie in a locked mystery can that requires a combination code they won't even receive before Thursday afternoon.

The HitFix story even has a picture of the instruction letter that comes along with the reels received at some theaters:

The card says that the secrecy is to "protect the film from any possible piracy issues" except that the movie will already have been playing internationally for a week and it very specifically says that it contains only the first and last reels of the movie plus the trailers.

According to McWeeny, the reason for this secrecy is because Paramount has included the first teaser trailer for an Abrams project called "Super 8," which looks to be at least thematically some sort of sequel to the 2008 monster movie Cloverfield. Although the movie hasn't even begun to film yet, it's doubtful Abrams will direct it. Cloverfield director Matt Reeves is currently busy with the vampire movie Let Me In, so theoretically, it could be his next project.

So far, no one has seen this mystery teaser and no one's likely to see it for the next few days. Who knows if Paramount will even make it available online? ... at least officially. We can probably expect bootleg versions of it by Friday now that the secret may be out.

You can read more of McWeeny's analysis and info on the project over at HitFix.

UPDATE: Vulture has more on the trailer which definitely goes into SPOILER territory. Read the following only if you want to know what's shown in the trailer...

Spoiler: show
Insiders familiar with the trailer tell us that it shows a bunch of kids who are shooting a movie with a Super 8 camera in the seventies or eighties. When they develop the film, they notice that there's an alien creature in the frame. Our sources also say that Super 8 is absolutely connected to 2008's Cloverfield (possibly a prequel, but not a sequel).

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 7:13 pm 
Editor Emeritus of SDCC

Secret J.J. Abrams Trailer Has Nothing to do With Cloverfield

May 5, 2010

Vulture was able to catch up with J.J. Abrams last night and asked him about his secret trailer that is attached to prints of Iron Man 2 this weekend.

Abrams said, "You have to check [out the trailer]. But it has nothing whatsoever to do with 'Cloverfield,' despite your expert reporting." So what is Super 8 about? "I won't be able to tell you until it's done," he said.

You can check out Vulture's description of the trailer here. Will that be what we get to see later this week? We'll find out soon!

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 9:41 pm 
Wonderdog

The first movie actually made me sick, I get motion sickness from looking at the horrible camera movements. If your a good director you don't need to "move" the camera a lot, then again, if you stink you may "need" to move the camera to cover your crappy filming. All I know is that if a film keeps trying to capture the "Blair Witch project" money then they will always fail, be a trend setter not a follower you movie directors!!

Webslinger

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 8:09 am 
buzz word garbage hater

I still say that imo the best thing they could do would be to make more of a traditional 'monster movie' with the same event.

The core group of characters could be a news team or maybe a group of scientists/military trying to stop the creature.

I just think it would work and it would be interesting to give an alternative perspective on the same event.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2010 7:39 pm 
Editor Emeritus of SDCC

Cloverfield Sequel Still a Priority

August 8, 2010

MTV talked to Cloverfield director Matt Reeves, whose Let Me In opens October 1st, about the possibility of a sequel to the 2008 monster film.

He said that, while himself and producer J.J. Abrams are concentrating on other things right now, there's definitely still interest in returning to that universe.

"It really isn't the moment for [the sequel] to go any further than it has, but it continues to be a priority for both of us," Reeves said. "J.J. is very immersed in putting together 'Super 8.' He's... in pre-production and really, really passionately getting that together. And I'm passionately finishing 'Let Me In.'"

He also assured there's no connection between Cloverfield and Super 8.

"There literally is no connection whatsoever," he added. "It's just a really cool idea for a film. I know what [J.J. is] doing and it's amazing."

Cloverfield cost just $25 million to make and earned $170 million worldwide.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 4:50 pm 
Editor Emeritus of SDCC

From IGN:

Exclusive: Cloverfield 2 Update

Director Matt Reeves discusses status of the sci-fi sequel.

UK, September 23, 2010

by Chris Tilly IGN UK

IGN caught up with Cloverfield director Matt Reeves today to discuss his latest project - vampire flick Let Me In, but while we had him sat down, we grabbed the opportunity to ask him about Cloverfield 2.

"We talk about it sporadically" he explained of the eagerly anticipated sequel. "But [producer] J.J. [Abrams] has just started shooting Super 8 - I talked to him the other day and he's shooting in West Virginia and it's very exciting. And [writer] Drew [Goddard] has just finished his first directing gig - the movie he wrote with J.J. Cabin in the Woods, and I've been doing Let Me In. We've all been very busy, so we haven't really had time to focus on it.

"But it is something that we'd all love to do if we could find the right idea" he continued. "We have ideas, but we have different ideas, so which one do we go with? We want to do something with it that feels fresh to us. The first experience was so unusual. I learned so much doing it and it was an incredible thrill, so we want to find a way, if we do it again, to do it with that same level of enthusiasm and excitement."

As to whether he'd definitely direct it, Reeves said "It could take another form. I would love to direct it, but we've talked about different incarnations too. Really it depends on how the idea comes about, and what that idea becomes. If it becomes the kind of idea that I feel like I would want to kill myself if I didn't direct, then I'll certainly do everything I can to direct it, but we've talked about other versions of it as well, so I don't know in what form Cloverfield 2 will finally emerge, but we are differently interested in doing it."

You can read the rest of our interview with Matt Reeves next week, when Let Me In hits U.S. screens.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 6:29 pm 
Editor Emeritus of SDCC

Matt Reeves Talks Invisible Woman & Cloverfield 2

Source: Shock Till You Drop

January 26, 2011

Before you're led to believe that the director of Let Me In is attached to a remake of the 1940 film The Invisible Woman or is doing some sort of Fantastic Four spin-off, let us explain.

During today's chat with Reeves, who has hit the press circuit to discuss the DVD and Blu-Ray release of Let Me In, the director told us he's still gunning to get a project called The Invisible Woman off of the ground.

"Naomi Watts was supposed to do it, but she had a conflict and fell out of the project," he says. "I'm still trying to get that made. It's a very intimate character story, with a similar tone to Let Me In, a Hitchcockian suspense style. It's an anatomy of this one woman's desperation. You follow her through ever step of what seems like extreme behavior, but at the end you hopefully see why every step was made."

As for the sequel to Cloverfield, it's all a matter of getting everyone on the same page.

"At the time, it was an idea that was fresh and exciting to make," says Reeves. "I never shot a movie in that style before, but it was an incredible experience. We always thought there was more to explore, but we haven't had the time to get together to discuss it. J.J. [Abrams] and Drew [Goddard] and myself need to get together and figure it out, then it will be the right time to do it."

With Abrams wrapping up work on Super 8 and possibly doing Star Trek 2 next, scheduling might be difficult. Goddard, meanwhile, is awaiting the release of his film The Cabin in the Woods while penning Robopocalypse.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 4:50 pm 
Editor Emeritus of SDCC

A Cloverfield 2 Update from Drew Goddard

by ShockTillYouDrop

March 06, 2012

This afternoon, Shock Till You Drop met up with Drew Goddard before he ventured out to Texas for the South By Southwest Film Festival to show off his impressive directorial debut The Cabin in the Woods.

There's a full interview coming all about that movie (which opens April 13th from Lionsgate), however, before I crack into that, I wanted to extract an update he provided on Cloverfield 2, the sequel to the film he penned for producer J.J. Abrams and director Matt Reeves.

"I'm in, I'm ready to do it," Goddard told us today. "Someone call J.J. and tell him to get moving, but because Matt and J.J. and I have been fortunate enough to be busy, it's hard syncing our schedules up. We're all very passionate about returning to that world."

Asked if an idea is on paper, he responded: "If you asked each of us what we wanted to do, you'll get three different answers, which is how the first film was. The aesthetic of Cloverfield benefits from that. Three voices pulling it. Look, nothing would make me happier than to get the three of us in the room to get started." He added with a laugh, "But you've got this Star Trek thing..."

Indeed, Abrams is deep into shooting Star Trek 2 and Reeves is tangled up with a number of projects.

Discussing the original Cloverfield, I told him I saw the film as not just a cool monster movie but a terrific love story. "I'm happy you said that, because I don't normally hear that," Goddard said. "It's certainly what I think of it as, it's a love letter to my wife."

Stay tuned for that Cabin interview!