Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 5:14 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 687 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44 ... 46  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Dark Knight Rises
PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 1:19 am 
serves the Otter

Location: Planet Reach, Coolsville, Metropolis, or Crystal Cove. It depends on the day.
The Dark Knight Rises was pure absolute Epic-Awesome-ness!!! Christopher Nolan and Crew... my hat off to all of you for making the best Superhero Movie trilogy of all time. :) I loved Avengers and Spider-Man but, I have to say this is by far my favorite movie. The acting, action, writing, twists, Special FX, stunts, and everything were so excellently well done. I am so sad this was your final Batman film but it definitely went out with a bang ;)
Anyways I say this to everyone who is a Comic book fan... go see this movie... you will be blown away! :)

D.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 2:23 am 
there were horses, and a man on fire, and I killed a guy with a trident

Anybody else hear about this?

http://www.wlox.com/story/19071381/shoo ... n-colorado

"I knew we'd made a mistake the minute I saw that little bologna loaf in the hospital bassinet." - Calvin's Dad.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 3:10 am 
serves the Otter

Location: Planet Reach, Coolsville, Metropolis, or Crystal Cove. It depends on the day.
Fone Bone wrote:

Unfortunately yes... My enjoyment of the movie was short lived when I saw the news story on usatoday... I constantly wonder why people do such horrible things.
The victims and their families are in my prayers.

D.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 6:52 am 
Editor Emeritus of SDCC

Orphaned as a child when his parents were murdered before his eyes, Bruce Wayne has trained himself to wage relentless war against crime as the dread Avenger Of The Night ...

The Batman!

"Criminals are a superstitious, cowardly lot, so I must wear a disguise that will strike terror into their hearts! I must be a creature of the night, like a ... a ..."

And, as if in answer, a winged creature flew in through the open window!

"A bat! That's it! It's like an omen! I shall become a BAT!"

Mike
(Image)

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 9:18 pm 
Editor Emeritus of SDCC

Warner Bros. Reports $30.6 Million Midnights for Dark Knight Rises

by SuperHeroHype

July 20, 2012

Amidst reports of the shooting tragedy in Aurora, Colorado, Warner Bros. Pictures' The Dark Knight Rises has reported an estimated midnight gross of $30.6 million in 3,700 locations, besting the $18 million reported by Marvel's The Avengers, the current opening weekend record holder, this past May.

While this is a strong start for the conclusion to Christopher Nolan's trilogy, starring Christian Bale, Anne Hathaway, Joseph Gordon-Levitt and Tom Hardy, it's hard to tell whether this means The Dark Knight Rises may once again claim the opening weekend record it previously held with The Dark Knight, because the threequel is likely to be more frontloaded than its predecessor. That $30.6 million is also below the $43.5 million amassed at midnight by Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows - Part 2 last summer before it broke The Dark Knight's opening weekend record.

Nolan's previous Batman movie made $18.4 million in midnights before setting its opening weekend record with $158.4 million, but that number was subsequently bested by the $22.2 million in midnights for Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince--that went on to have a $58 million opening day--and then the $26.2 million in midnights made by The Twilight Saga: New Moon, which grossed $142.8 million in its first weekend in November 2009.

Right now, it's still undetermined whether The Dark Knight Rises will behave similar to the previous installment or The Avengers and maintain that midnight business over the weekend.

Check back tomorrow and over the weekend for updates.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 9:21 pm 
Editor Emeritus of SDCC

Christopher Nolan Statement on Colorado Theater Shooting Tragedy

by SuperHeroHype

July 20, 2012

The Dark Knight Rises director and co-writer Christopher Nolan released the following statement about the Colorado theater shooting that left 12 dead and 59 injured:

Speaking on behalf of the cast and crew of The Dark Knight Rises, I would like to express our profound sorrow at the senseless tragedy that has befallen the entire Aurora community.

I would not presume to know anything about the victims of the shooting but that they were there last night to watch a movie. I believe movies are one of the great American art forms and the shared experience of watching a story unfold on screen is an important and joyful pastime.

The movie theatre is my home, and the idea that someone would violate that innocent and hopeful place in such an unbearably savage way is devastating to me.

Nothing any of us can say could ever adequately express our feelings for the innocent victims of this appalling crime, but our thoughts are with them and their families.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 1:56 pm 
Editor Emeritus of SDCC

From Reuters:

U.S. shooting quiets Hollywood, slows "Dark Knight" box office

(Reuters) - Hollywood studios will not release box-offices figures on Sunday after the fatal gun rampage at a midnight showing for the Batman movie "The Dark Knight Rises," which made less money than some industry insiders projected.

The film grossed $74 million on Friday in the United States and Canada and is seen generating $173 million by the end of the weekend, people with knowledge of industry figures said on Saturday.

Official figures were not released by the distributor, Warner Bros. For the first time box office watchers could remember, Hollywood's other major film studios decided not to release weekend ticket sales figures on Saturday.

"We're joining our colleagues at Warner Bros and not reporting grosses during this period of mourning," Sony Pictures said in a statement.

Hollywood.com Box Office, which reports the weekend figures, said it was not sure if it would publish its list this week.

A Warner Brothers spokeswoman did not return calls seeking comment on Friday night numbers.

"Dark Knight Rises" was one of the most-anticipated films of the year before a gunman opened fire on moviegoers at a midnight screening in Aurora, Colorado, early Friday, killing 12 people and wounding 58 more.

Ahead of the debut, box office forecasters predicted opening weekend sales in a range of $170 million to $198 million from Friday through Sunday, just shy of the record $207 million set by superhero movie "The Avengers" in May.

"The cable news networks were wall-to-wall with the shooting, so it had some shock value that will keep people away," former Columbia Pictures marketing chief Peter Sealey said. "But it will be short term. This movie will play for five or six weeks and still do great business."

Since many people bought tickets in advance, they likely decided to put aside any fears and see the film, said Paul Dergarabedian, head of Hollywood.com Box Office.

After the shooting, theaters tightened security, and Warner Bros. scaled back promotional plans, canceling a Paris premiere and appearances by the cast and crew in Mexico and Japan.

Ronn Torossian, chief executive of New York-based 5W Public Relations, which is not involved with the movie's release, said it was smart for the studios to stay quiet in the days after such a horrific event. He said he expected the marketing for upcoming, violent films like "The Expendables" to tweak their advertising. But by September, if not earlier, that will change.

"This will affect marketing movies in the short-term," he said. "(But) the media has a very short memory, and it's something that in the long run will not affect" film promotion.

LONE KILLER, NO COPYCAT

Outside theaters across the country, where police maintained tight security on Saturday, ticket lines were mostly filled and fans seemed little concerned about a copycat shooting.

"It doesn't make me nervous. It's an isolated incident," said Charles Song, 31, at the Arclight cinema in Hollywood. "I don't think it's going to spur any copycats. It's just one crazy lunatic that went off."

But the event does seem to have changed the thinking of some moviegoers, perhaps families, who might have planned to attend, and other films may be feeling the impact.

Animated family film "Ice Age: Continental Drift," which grossed $44.6 million last week and was the top-selling film, had a larger-than-anticipated 51 percent drop for its second week. It sold $6.5 million on Friday and is projected to collect $23 million for the weekend, box office sources said.

"The Amazing Spider-Man," which opened with near record sales on July 3, sold $6.5 million worth of tickets and is estimated to hit $11.5 million this weekend. The film, produced by Sony Pictures Entertainment, has passed $217 million in domestic sales on Thursday, according to Box Office Mojo.

A representative for 20th Century Fox, which released "Ice Age," was not available for comment, and a spokesman for Sony Pictures, which is behind "Spider-Man," declined comment.

"Dark Knight Rises" is the third and final film in a popular Batman series starring Christian Bale as the crime-fighting hero and directed by Christopher Nolan. Warner Bros. spent $250 million to produce it, plus tens of millions more on marketing.

On Friday, the studio said showings just after midnight had grossed $30.6 million in the North American (U.S. and Canadian) market. Warner Bros. later said it would not release any updated sales figures until Monday.

"The Dark Knight" took in $158 million domestically over its debut weekend in July 2008, a record at the time. It went on to ring up sales of more than $1 billion around the world.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 5:08 am 
categorically opposed

The movie was absolutely amazing, so it's unfortunate that its legacy will be tainted by the acts of a deranged man.

The only nitpicks that I had were:

Spoiler: show
    Talia's death scene. Really, Marion Cotilliard? That was the best you could do when your character died? It was just awkward.
    Bane's voice. I get that it probably wasn't meant to sound like that originally but was too difficult to understand until redubbed, so I guess I'll let it go.
    The ensemble nature of the cast was great, except for the fact that I felt like Batman was barely in it.

Other than that, though, it was a great movie - and Anne Hathaway, in spite of my reservations about her playing Catwoman, won me over in her first scene with Christian Bale. The ending was interesting - not really what I expected going in, but it made perfect sense in the context of the movie itself.

It also sparked up tons of fights between six of my friends and myself last night, as we argued about...

My buddy is convinced now that Joseph Gordon-Levitt will be playing Batman in the sequel, no matter how many times we all tell him that there will be no sequel. And then he went on to say that Gordon-Levitt will be playing Batman in Justice League - I wanted to scream.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 10:35 am 
Far Too Concerned with his Post Count

Time Warner has already said the solo leads will not play the same roles in Justice League, which just proves how stupid they are thanks to Avengers. Do you think Avengers would have done even half of what it did with someone else playing Stark, Thor, or Cap? NOT! Of course they may have changed their minds after seeing the numbers for Avengers which would be a good thing, but I almost saw a clip from the new Superman on Yahoo, it was very choppy, and it looked like the new solid blue costume. If they draw the JL from the new comic versions, it will fail. It is not the JL fans want to see.

On a side note, I remember it being said that Bale would bail if they did Robin, and this was intended as a stand alone trilogy, but there was Barbara Gordon in 2, the future Batgirl/Oracle, almost like they were trying to establish a history for sequals to build on.

Things that make you go hmmmmmmmm.

CCC.

Museum Super Collector.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 11:00 am 
categorically opposed

LordMudd wrote:
On a side note, I remember it being said that Bale would bail if they did Robin, and this was intended as a stand alone trilogy, but there was Barbara Gordon in 2, the future Batgirl/Oracle, almost like they were trying to establish a history for sequals to build on.

Things that make you go hmmmmmmmm.

CCC.

Not really. They acknowledged that Gordon had kids. That didn't feel like a setup for a sequel as much as it felt like them being faithful to the comics.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 4:19 pm 
Aspires to be #1

I thought it was amazing as well and will be seeing it multiple times. The only thing that really bothered me was Colliard. I couldn't stop picturing her as her Inception character. She did a great job though. Anne Hathaway was maybe my favorite part of the movie.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 5:00 am 
Shudders at the Thought of Swamp-Crotch Chafing

I saw the movie yesterday and I have to say that ....

I am conflicted.

I thought the movie was the perfect ending to what Nolan had started. The tone, pacing, characterization were spot on and perfectly rendered. It was emotional, engrossing, and entertaining.

However, I'm not sure how much of a "batman" movie this really was.

I liked it. I REALLY liked it. But there was just something there that makes me pause.

I knew going in it wasn't a "four color superhero" film. Nothing that Nolan had done so far would lead to that ending. I knew it was going to be more "realistic" and human, more emotionally driven. And I like that about this series of films.

Its just ... I don't know really.

The ending was well put together. The clues are all there for those that were paying attention. But it was still "surprising" to see it all played out.

Nicely done team. Thank you for the ride. I'm so glad to have been in the stands.

I guess I was just hoping for something just a bit ... "more" ... maybe ....

Couldn't have said it better myself.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 7:00 am 
You hear that? We're using CODE names...

Am I the only one bothered by the entire premise of this movie? When they establish that Batman quit over his remorse about Rachel, they lost me entirely. That is the exact opposite of the 70+ year characterization of Batman. He is a character defined by unyielding resolve: he will *not* quit. Period. In fact, that's the one weakness Bane exploited back in Knightfall. He set up a scenario in which Batman would be forced to work himself to his physical and mental limits, *then* confront him. And gee whiz, they even included the big prison break scene, but after Batman was already broken. Huh?

I don't want to sound like I hated it. I though there were a lot of great things in the movie. Bane and Catwoman were both great, and I loved the backstory between Bane, Ra's, and Talia. But man, when your movie vacillates between "The city has nothing to offer me" and "I must protect my city!" within 20 minutes, I think you should perhaps re-examine your basic premise.

That, I think, is my biggest complaint. They could have told pretty much this exact movie and hit all these plot point, but they could have established *why* things were happening much better. As it stands, I was unable to get over Batman being a whiny quitter, and it ruined much of the rest of the movie for me. Alas.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 8:29 am 
Still ahead of Mudd

Ill probably watch it when it come out on Blu Ray/ DVD like the other 2-- but only because I feel like I "have" to see it- not because I want to ... Moreso --so I have reasons to not like it- and not just go " it sucks "-- Since from the previous post- it sounds even more like I will find even more reasons to go -- this isn't Batman- its a guy wearing a Batsuit..

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 9:04 am 
Disney is not his cup of tea

bnjmnrlyr wrote:
I saw the movie yesterday and I have to say that ....

I am conflicted.

I thought the movie was the perfect ending to what Nolan had started. The tone, pacing, characterization were spot on and perfectly rendered. It was emotional, engrossing, and entertaining.

However, I'm not sure how much of a "batman" movie this really was.

I liked it. I REALLY liked it. But there was just something there that makes me pause.

I knew going in it wasn't a "four color superhero" film. Nothing that Nolan had done so far would lead to that ending. I knew it was going to be more "realistic" and human, more emotionally driven. And I like that about this series of films.

Its just ... I don't know really.

The ending was well put together. The clues are all there for those that were paying attention. But it was still "surprising" to see it all played out.

Nicely done team. Thank you for the ride. I'm so glad to have been in the stands.

I guess I was just hoping for something just a bit ... "more" ... maybe ....

Another reason why I didn't care for this. It just didn't feel like Batman to me. I didn't like Begins either. I do love Dark Knight but the first and third films I just don't care for.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 687 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44 ... 46  Next