Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Fri Jul 25, 2014 9:20 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 687 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 42, 43, 44, 45, 46
 Post subject: Re: The Dark Knight Rises
PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 12:14 am 
serves the Otter

Location: Planet Reach, Coolsville, Metropolis, or Crystal Cove. It depends on the day.
IMO The Nolan Dark Knight Trilogy is the best incarnation of Batman aside from the DCAU. And about Batman Quitting... this story was said to never really be mainly about "Batman" it was more about Bruce Wayne and his journey, (The extras on the BD release clarify more on this.) I myself find that a very cool take on the character. I like how they pushed the idea of Batman being more of a symbol, sure I prefer Bruce Wayne more than any other character as Batman but this is still a very well done story. In my mind no future Batman series will top this in terms of acting, writing, directing. The trilogy has such a great emotional feel yet also has that action and superhero feel that IMO no other Comic Book movie has yet to achieve. Sure Avengers was way awesome, but it was a beat em up story it was not as relatable or emotionally fulfilling to me as TDKR. This is a movie I can walk away from completely satisfied. This Batman got perfect closure IMO, more realistic closure, the ending to the series is probably one of the best endings to a movie I have ever seen (except LOTR... ;) )

Anyways, enough of my ranting... ;)

D.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 8:35 am 
Still ahead of Mudd

Well, I finally broke down and watched this finally-- and I felt it justified every bit of my unseen criticism-- (especially the totally laughable Bane voice, how would anyone take that guy seriously)-- and as bad as I thought it was-- my wife hated it even more...

Other than the engineering of some of the tech-- this movie was a total waste of time, luckily the Documentary on the Batmobiles made the 8.00 purchase price worth it..There were so many plotholes it got beyond corny to me.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 3:45 pm 
there were horses, and a man on fire, and I killed a guy with a trident

I've rewatched it a couple of times on Blu-Ray and it gets worse every time I see it. The plot holes weren't that noticable to me the first time around but now they really bug me. Yeah, this is NO Return of the King and totally didn't deserve an Oscar nomination.

"The early bird gets the worm" is great if you like to eat worms.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 3:22 am 
Brand Manager

Fone Bone wrote:
I've rewatched it a couple of times on Blu-Ray and it gets worse every time I see it. The plot holes weren't that noticable to me the first time around but now they really bug me. Yeah, this is NO Return of the King and totally didn't deserve an Oscar nomination.

Yes its sad but I feel the same about Dark Knight I mean Batman did not save the day some tattooed prison inmate did ? The more I watch the DKR the more questions I have? Why did Talia bother to sleep with Bruce ?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 5:57 am 

PBateman wrote:
Yes its sad but I feel the same about Dark Knight I mean Batman did not save the day some tattooed prison inmate did ? The more I watch the DKR the more questions I have? Why did Talia bother to sleep with Bruce ?

Sheepish. :oops: I LIKED the fact that it was a prison inmate who saved the day in the first Dark Knight. It was a message of optimism and empowerment and the innate goodness of humanity. Basically it was because of the cars refusing to press the button that the Joker lost. He was completely wrong and the prisoner proved that. I didn't find ANY of the messages in Rises nearly as uplifting.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 11:17 am 
Still ahead of Mudd

PBateman wrote:
Why did Talia bother to sleep with Bruce ?

That one didnt bother me- because it was obviously to pray on his emotions later, and put him off his game (made it easy for her to stab him)- and make him think with his other parts.. :P Or maybe it was just fun or she was just slumming (since he now was poor).

-- Although I will say his taste in women declined as the movies went on (not counting Catwoman).

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 6:10 pm 
serves the Otter

Location: Planet Reach, Coolsville, Metropolis, or Crystal Cove. It depends on the day.
Fone Bone wrote:
PBateman wrote:

Sheepish. :oops: I LIKED the fact that it was a prison inmate who saved the day in the first Dark Knight. It was a message of optimism and empowerment and the innate goodness of humanity. Basically it was because of the cars refusing to press the button that the Joker lost. He was completely wrong and the prisoner proved that. I didn't find ANY of the messages in Rises nearly as uplifting.

I agree about TDK, I liked how the whole point was to show that not everyone was out to save themselves. (this isn't really aimed at you FB, ;) ) But I guess I am the only one who missed the other message in TDKR though, and that I think it was a super awesome end to a spectacular trilogy. ;)

D.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 8:45 pm 
Grickle Grass Grower

I wonder if it "ending" also had to do with the way people nowadays expect more than you give no matter how much you give. Like, if it hadn't ended that way, everyone would have gotten up from the movie and instead of thinking about it, gone directly to the computer and blogged about what's going to happen in the next one. Just a thought.

Also, I'm not saying there weren't plot holes, just curious as to which "well-known glaring plot holes" everyone is talking about.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 4:59 am 

shishalzafrazz wrote:
Also, I'm not saying there weren't plot holes, just curious as to which "well-known glaring plot holes" everyone is talking about.

People have wondered exactly how Bane knew where Wayne Tech's armory was before Talia found out. He had to since that was why he built his liar directly underneath it. Another huge plot hole is how Bane smuggled Bruce out of the country to the Middle East and came back with no-one noticing and how Bruce got back to Gotham with no plane and no money, much less making it back in without the armed gaurds at every entrance point noticing. And before you say "He's Batman!" let me point out that that explanation doesn't fly in the realistic Nolanverse. In the first two movies Nolan grounded the films in a kind of gritty reality that he basically ignored for the final film.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 7:29 am 
3 3/4"

Fone Bone wrote:
shishalzafrazz wrote:

People have wondered exactly how Bane knew where Wayne Tech's armory was before Talia found out. He had to since that was why he built his liar directly underneath it. Another huge plot hole is how Bane smuggled Bruce out of the country to the Middle East and came back with no-one noticing and how Bruce got back to Gotham with no plane and no money, much less making it back in without the armed gaurds at every entrance point noticing. And before you say "He's Batman!" let me point out that that explanation doesn't fly in the realistic Nolanverse. In the first two movies Nolan grounded the films in a kind of gritty reality that he basically ignored for the final film.

Wait, so a transforming motorcycle popping out of the front of a tank-like car that's been wrecked is grounding the films in a gritty reality? A machine--that came out of nowhere--that vaporizes a city's water supply? Wayne engineering the kidnapping of Mr. Lao for Gordon and Dent and no one stopping and wondering, "damn, that Batman sure has a lot of resources!" Much less hiding his identity from the smugglers who did all the transportation? Radar vision? Turning everyone's cell phone into said radar? I can go on and on. While some of these things are more plausible than others, let's not perpetuate the myth that Nolan is all about realism.

I LOVE the Nolan Batman movies. Even the last one (though not as much as Dark Knight or Begins). But I think you have to remember that Nolan always asks his audience to make certain leaps with him for the sake of expediency or cool. Whether it be the dream machine of Inception, the Tesla device from The Prestige, and others, Nolan asks you to roll with a lot of crazy stuff. He pulls it off because he's so earnest in his delivery but I believe the holes in DKR are comparable to what he's asked audiences to roll with in the past.

Also, from a narrative perspective, does it matter how Wayne got back to Gotham? Does it really matter from a narrative perspective in a 2.5 hour a movie? Maybe it was one conceit too many (I'm with you on the armory but for different reasons--how could Wayne allow it to be compromised so easily?) but it's far from the biggest criticism. It's cool when he shows up again. The audience cheered when Gordon lit up that bat. That's what matters.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 7:23 am 

Compared to other superhero movies the Nolan films are DEFINITELY more realistic, at least until the last one. Yeah, there's crazy gadgets and stuff in them but that happens in James Bond too. And the plot holes just got way too noticable in the last one. Maybe the explanations weren't "necessary" from a storytelling perspective but I would have appreciated getting them anyways. It still bugs me.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 6:43 pm 
Editor Emeritus of SDCC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 687 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 42, 43, 44, 45, 46