Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Sat Dec 20, 2014 12:56 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: G.I. Joe: Retaliation
PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 7:04 am 
Editor Emeritus of SDCC

IGN:

G.I. Joe 2 Planned

Stars locked for sequel, filming to begin next summer?

by Orlando Parfitt, IGN UK

UK, July 22, 2009 - Despite some ugly pre-release rumours (that appear to be unfounded), it seems that the team behind the forthcoming G.I. Joe: Rise of Cobra have enough confidence in the project to already begin talking about a sequel.

Speaking at a press conference in Australia (and reported by CineFools), the director and cast were asked if they were locked in for a sequel. Director Stephen Sommers responded "Yes they are!", with the whole cast apparently nodding their heads, and then the director shouted "next summer!". We assume this means they would begin filming next summer if the first G.I. Joe is a success.

No more details are reported, but it seems the team are in good spirits ahead of the movie's release next month.

Mike
( 8) )

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 5:36 am 
Editor Emeritus of SDCC

Reese and Wernick Writing G.I. Joe Sequel, Too?

Source:superherohype.com

January 7, 2010

Just yesterday it was announced that Zombieland screenwriters Rhett Reese and Paul Wernick are going to write the script for the Ryan Reynolds spin-off Deadpool. Now comes word from IESB that they may also write the sequel to G.I. Joe: The Rise of Cobra for Paramount.

G.I. Joe: The Rise of Cobra, directed by Stephen Sommers, cost about $175 million to make and earned $301.5 million worldwide. The action-adventure stars Adewale Akinnuoye-Agbaje, Christopher Eccleston, Joseph Gordon-Levitt, Byung Hun Lee, Sienna Miller, Rachel Nichols, Ray Park, Said Taghmaoui, Channing Tatum, Marlon Wayans and Dennis Quaid.

Post subject: Re: G.I. Joe 2
PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 10:55 pm 
Editor Emeritus of SDCC

From IGN:

G.I. Joe 2 Buzz

Zombieland scribes promise new characters and no reboot.

by Jim Vejvoda

February 17, 2010 - Zombieland screenwriters Rhett Reese and Paul Wernick plan on going straight to the source for inspiration when writing G.I. Joe 2.

In a chat with MTV, Wernick said he and Reese are off to Hasbro's home base in Rhode Island next week to "talk to the toy guys, take a tour of the facility, see all the old toys, the new toys and just get inspired."

The writers will use the trip to help them establish which new characters to use in the sequel, which Wernick said will definitely be a "continuation" of what was established in the first film and not a reboot. "We can say that we will be faithful to the first film," Reese said. "We will not be ignoring events from the first in the second."

To Reese, G.I. Joe "should be fun, it should be a ride. That's what we feel like Zombieland was, and we hope to bring that to the G.I. Joe franchise also."

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 1:52 pm 
Editor Emeritus of SDCC

Is the G.I. Joe Sequel Heading for Summer 2012, Too?

Source: superherohype.com

April 30, 2010

The MTV Movies Blog had a chance to talk to producer Lorenzo di Bonaventura and got a status report on the planned sequel to Stephen Sommers' summer 2009 hit G.I. Joe: The Rise of Cobra, which grossed $300 million last summer. Although writers Rhett Reese and Paul Wernick have yet to submit a full script, di Bonaventura is optimistic they'll be ready to start shooting the G.I. Joe Sequel sometime next spring for a summer 2012 release.

Otherwise, Bonaventura didn't have a lot to say and was unwilling to confirm who might direct the sequel, which actors may be back and whether they might join the current trend by shooting the movie in 3D, although he did say he was "open to it."

You can read the full interview over on MTV.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 12:17 am 
Editor Emeritus of SDCC

Sommers Returning to Direct G.I. Joe Sequel?

by SuperHeroHype

Aug 4th, 2010

The first film earned $302 million worldwide

Paramount Pictures has yet to confirm this, but TheWrap is reporting that G.I. Joe: The Rise of Cobra director Stephen Sommers will return for the sequel.

The site adds that Channing Tatum is expected to reprise his role as Captain Duke Hauser in the follow-up. Zombieland scribes Rhett Reese and Paul Wernick are writing the script.

"The Rise of Cobra," which was released a year ago, earned $302 million worldwide and cost about $175 million to make.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 11:17 am 
willing to display nerd-rage meltdown for custom subnic

I was severely disappointed in the first movie (I'm glad I didn't see it in theaters). I don't know what it would take to convince me to see another 90 minutes of that garbage.

I don't fail, I just succeed at finding ways that don't work.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 5:04 pm 
Editor Emeritus of SDCC

From IGN:

Good Buzz for G.I. Joe 2

Sommers reportedly likely to helm the sequel.

August 18, 2010

by Jim Vejvoda

Paramount is reportedly ready to yell "Yo, Joe!" once more.

An alleged internal document intercepted by TheWrap claims Paramount is "VERY happy" with the G.I. Joe 2 script penned by Zombieland screenwriters Rhett Reese and Paul Wernick.

Furthermore, the document claims says there's a "good chance" that Stephen Sommers, who helmed G.I. Joe: Rise of Cobra, "may direct the sequel after all."

Not much is known in the way of story details, but Channing Tatum is said to be reprising his role as Duke in the sequel.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2010 2:14 am 
"You can set your clock to his haircut"

The first one sucked major ass.

I think it would of been much better if it was a deadpan live action version of the old cartoons and comics books.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2010 10:25 am 
5" Scale

Sucked Ass, really?!?!? I didn't think it was that bad, but I didn't go in expecting them to put what I read over the years on the silver screen either :roll: I think sometimes fan's get too caught up in continuity and it being an exact replication of what was in the comic. If they did that everytime where would be the surprise? Yes, there are comic book movies out there that have set the bar high, but I don't think GI Joe is that high brow of a concept either.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2010 12:20 pm 
willing to display nerd-rage meltdown for custom subnic

I didn't really care about them straying from the canon. It's not like G.I. Joe read like Shakespeare anyway. I just thought it was poorly done overall. Hell, It was commonly referred to as G.I. Joke. That should give you a pretty good indication as to how widely panned it was. That said, I'm cautiously optimistic about a second Joe movie. I'm a huge fan of the franchise, so I hope we get a much better product next time around.

I don't fail, I just succeed at finding ways that don't work.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 7:10 am 
serves the Otter

I went in with really low expectations, and I thought it was entertaining enough. The kids I teach (7th graders, so they would have been 11 when it came out) love it. If that's the demographic they were aiming at, and not the 30-somethings who grew up with the cartoon, they nailed it.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 10:48 am 
The Last Word

Quinn wrote:
The kids I teach (7th graders, so they would have been 11 when it came out) love it. If that's the demographic they were aiming at, and not the 30-somethings who grew up with the cartoon, they nailed it.
That's exactly what they were going for, but a lot of adult fans just can't stop taking themselves too seriously long enough to grasp that notion. Was it a good movie? No, not really. Was it a fun movie? Absolutely. I'd love to see something better, but we're talking about popcorn flicks based on an action figure line. Where's the motivation to deliver substance over style?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 6:10 pm 
Editor Emeritus of SDCC

Stephen Sommers Will Not Direct G.I. Joe 2

by SuperHeroHype

Jan 5th, 2011

Other directors are currently being courted for the sequel

Despite some earlier reports to the contrary, it appears that Stephen Sommers will not be returning for the as-of-yet-untitled G.I. Joe sequel.

The news comes courtesy of the Los Angeles Times, who also claim that Paramount is searching for a new director for the action sequel which is currently in the scripting stages with Zombieland writers Rhett Reese and Paul Wernick working on the first draft.

Sommers, who directed 2009's G.I. Joe: Rise of the Cobra, is meanwhile said to be attached to the Dean Koontz novelization Odd Thomas.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 3:04 am 
Editor Emeritus of SDCC

Storm Shadow to Return in G.I. Joe Sequel

by SuperHeroHype

Jan 17th, 2011

Actor Lee Byung-hun will reprise his role as the character

Lee Byung-hun will again appear as Storm Shadow on the big screen when as-of-yet-untitled G.I. Joe sequel arrives, likely in 2012, The Hollywood Reporter claims.

Byung-hun played the ninja character in the 2009 film, G.I. Joe: Rise of the Cobra, though his fate appeared sealed following a battle with Snake Eyes (Ray Park). It was recently announced that Stephen Sommers, the director of the original film, would not be returning for the sequel, currently in the scripting stages with Zombieland writers Rhett Reese and Paul Wernick working on the first draft.

Additionally, the article states that production is planned to start this June and that the action sequel will target a fast-paced summer 2012 release.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 8:50 pm 
Editor Emeritus of SDCC

From IGN:

Who's Directing G.I. Joe 2?

Paramount's list of contenders gets leaked. We smell a Cobra plot.

February 10, 2011

Looks like Zartan got his kung-fu grip on Paramount's short-list of directors in the running for G.I. Joe 2. So whose names are on it?

Unknown's Jaume Collet Serra, F. Gary Gray (The Italian Job) and Jon Chu (Justin Bieber: Never Say Never) are in contention for the sequel, according to LatinoReview.com.

Compared to other high-profile projects and their director wish lists (Wolverine and Superman: Man of Steel, for example), these names aren't exactly top shelf, which gives the indication that the studio is going for someone who can play ball and just deliver a sequel to "director" Stephen Sommers' 2009 original.