Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Sun Apr 20, 2014 8:44 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 90 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: G.I. Joe: Retaliation
PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 5:31 am 
Shudders at the Thought of Swamp-Crotch Chafing

Something tells me there is more to all this than just "3D conversion".

I'm willing to bet that come 2013 this movie just silently fades away....

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 5:40 am 
my apartment smells of rich mahogany

My feeling is that they are actually trying to prevent that bnj by pushing it out a bit. Otherwise they might be pushed to the side and as you said, "silently fade away" :wink: Oh, and Tex. I've heard that some of the figures are actually leaking out already according to a buddy of mine. Most likely the push will go through and then they'll do another push when the movie comes out.

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 6:46 am 
Armored Avenger of Arduous Aspirations

I guess all those empty GIJOE pegs at my local Walmarts will be staying empty a lot longer. :roll:

Trade Rating +55 and counting

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 8:05 am 
willing to display nerd-rage meltdown for custom subnic

This means that the SDCC exclusive Jinx is going to priced out of the stratosphere on the secondary market. Everyone better be on HTS ready to hit refresh. :roll:

I don't fail, I just succeed at finding ways that don't work.

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 11:14 am 
Wonderdog

Seeing as this announcement has really soured Hasbro with the fans, I think this would be the perfect opportunity for them to dig up a lot of fan favorite stuff that had been left in the lurch in favor of movie stuff. Things like 25th/30th Anniversary style toys, Resolute, Renegades, heck even Sigma 6. Whatever they may have had in the vaults or halted in the preliminary production stages should be quickly re-examined to possibly fill in the gap left by Retaliation. And I'm not just talking toys. I mean, wouldn't it be great if they could come up with even just another hour long Resolute sequel, again broken down in 5 minute chunks just like before? Or how about a made for TV Renegades movie that could possibly bridge the gap to a second season? Granted 9 months is not that long a time, but we don't really know how far along some of these fan-favorite G.I. Joe incarnations were before being retired in favor of movie stuff. Getting stuff like this out there would definitely get Hasbro back on a lot of fans' good sides and will at the very least generate much needed positive buzz among the faithful, keeping the brand in the fans', as well as the public's, consciousness until Retaliation resurfaces next year.

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 2:44 pm 
willing to display nerd-rage meltdown for custom subnic

Excellent idea. I don't know how feasible it would be, but it would do a great deal to engender some goodwill from GI Joe's rather rabid fanbase.

I don't fail, I just succeed at finding ways that don't work.

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 9:27 pm 
Wonderdog

At the very least, I've read that Hasbro has developed at least some 25th/30th style product that became vaporware to make for the movie. There were also plans for a second season of Renegades, so I guess something can be made out of that. They can also greenlight more comic books, or even reissues of older comics. It doesn't have to be anything grand. Even things done on a smaller scale, if done as one coordinated campaign, could do wonders.

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 7:55 am 
Still ahead of Mudd

Rumor for the delay--paraphrased from topless robot

But something happened in-between when Retaliation was shot and now, and that something is that Channing Tatum has become a box office star.

Seriously. The Vow, 21 Jump Street -- Channing Tatum movies have made serious bank, and now Paramount is determined to 1) add more Tatum scenes at the beginning,
Spoiler: show
and 2) probably not kill him off.
The fact that Tatum was just horrible in Rise of Cobra clearly has no bearing on the situation. They're increasing Tatum's presence in the film, and post-converting the movie to 3-D is just a bonus/solid excuse. Apparently all the test audiences who have seen Retaliation want more Tatum, proving that test audiences are morons and that they've never helped a movie be better ever.

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 9:25 am 
too much stick, not enough carrot

Bwahahahah - yes more Tatum is the answer. As the article said, he was horrible in the first one but let's put MORE of him in there. The Rock and Bruce Willis aren't nearly big enough stars...

DC/WB is all like "Wonder Woman's too confusing for a movie!" and Marvel/Disney is all like "Here's a raccoon with a machine gun".

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 10:21 am 
Killer Moth Fanatic

For me honestly,

Now that I know what I know about Tatum and the new GI Joe movie...
I kinda don't want to see it anymore.
I was really looking forward to a movie where him and the Rock team up.
Hopefully they will do reshoots. Maybe the above idea can be part 3.

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 1:37 pm 
Editor Emeritus of SDCC

The Real Reason Behind G.I. Joe 2's Delay?

by SuperHeroHype

May 30, 2012

As reported a few days ago, G.I. Joe: Retaliation has been bumped from its original release date of June 29th, 2012 to March 29th, 2013.

When pressed for a simple 'Why?' the answer came back that some scenes were going to be reshot using 3D technology, in an effort to capitalize on foreign markets.

But this didn't seem like the right thing to a lot of people and now over at Deadline, they're reporting the real reason for the delay.

Warning: Potential spoilers (but since the movie is being reshot, who knows).

Spoiler: show
Apparently the film wasn't scoring well with test audiences due to the very early on screen death of Channing Tatum's character Duke and the lack of character development between himself and Dwayne 'The Rock' Johnson prior to his killing.

Well, if you didn't think that Hollywood ever listened to the public, here is a perfect case of it.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 12:12 pm 
Editor Emeritus of SDCC

Click on the thumbnail for a bigger pic!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 2:37 pm 
too much stick, not enough carrot

Wow, they're still bringing this out? I thought it was dead...

DC/WB is all like "Wonder Woman's too confusing for a movie!" and Marvel/Disney is all like "Here's a raccoon with a machine gun".

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 12:48 pm 
Editor Emeritus of SDCC

The New Trailer for G.I. Joe: Retaliation Hits

by SuperHeroHype

December 12, 2012

Paramount Pictures has released the new trailer for director Jon Chu's G.I Joe: Retaliation, starring D.J. Cotrona, Byung-hun Lee, Adrianne Palicki, Ray Park, Jonathan Pryce, Ray Stevenson, Channing Tatum, Bruce Willis and Dwayne Johnson. Check it out in the player below!

In the March 29 release, the G.I. Joes are not only fighting their mortal enemy Cobra; they are forced to contend with threats from within the government that jeopardize their very existence. The film stars D.J. Cotrona, Byung-hun Lee, Adrianne Palicki, Ray Park, Jonathan Pryce, Ray Stevenson, Channing Tatum with Bruce Willis and Dwayne Johnson. Directed by Jon M. Chu, and produced by Lorenzo di Bonaventura and Brian Goldner, from a screenplay by Rhett Reese & Paul Wernick based on Hasbro's G.I. Joe characters.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 11:52 am 
Editor Emeritus of SDCC

New International Poster for G.I. Joe: Retaliation

by SuperHeroHype

December 20, 2012

The new international poster for G.I Joe: Retaliation has been released (Via Emileeid.com) and you can check it out below!

In the March 29 release, the G.I. Joes are not only fighting their mortal enemy Cobra; they are forced to contend with threats from within the government that jeopardize their very existence. The film stars D.J. Cotrona, Byung-hun Lee, Adrianne Palicki, Ray Park, Jonathan Pryce, Ray Stevenson, Channing Tatum with Bruce Willis and Dwayne Johnson.

The film is directed by Jon M. Chu from a screenplay by Rhett Reese and Paul Wernick.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 90 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next