It is currently Fri Feb 05, 2016 2:32 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Alien: Covenant
PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 6:59 pm 
Editor Emeritus of SDCC

Prometheus Sequel Targets 2014 or 2015 Release

by SuperHeroHype

August 01, 2012

Plans for a sequel to Ridley Scott's Prometheus were rumored to be on the table before the 20th Century Fox project even began production, but today The Hollywood Reporter confirms that the studio is indeed moving forward with another science fiction thriller, planned to hit theaters in either 2014 or 2015.

Stars Michael Fassbender and Noomi Rapace are both contracted to reprise their roles of David and Elizabeth Shaw, respectively. Writer Damon Lindelof, however, is not necessarily attached to return as screenwriter and the studio is said to be in talks with other writers to board the project.

The original film, a quasi-prequel to Scott's 1979 Alien, saw a team of scientists and explorers embarking on a journey to a distant world, where they discovered the answers to some of humanity's most profound questions.

Scott's next project, The Counselor, is in production now with Fassbender, Brad Pitt, Javier Bardem, Penelope Cruz, Cameron Diaz, Dean Norris and John Leguizamo starring.

Post subject: Re: Prometheus Sequel
PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 11:38 am 
Editor Emeritus of SDCC

Damon Lindelof Not Involved with Prometheus Sequel

by SuperHeroHype

December 20, 2012

One of the more divisive films of the year was this summer's Prometheus. The film was decorated with high expectations and many didn't think that they were met with the final film and some placed the blame largely on screenwriter Damon Lindelof. Today, there is potential great news for some of you, as Lindelof has confirmed he is not involved with the proposed sequel to Prometheus.

When asked by Collider if he would be writing the script, he said: "I am not. Ridley [Scott] and I talked at great length during the story process of the first movie about what subsequent movies would be if Prometheus were to be successful. And I think that the movie ended in a very specific way that hinted at, or strongly implied that there were going to be continuing adventures worthy of writing stories. What those stories would be would not necessarily usurp or transcend the Alien franchise as we saw it because we know that the Nostromo hasn’t come along yet. So the idea was to set up a universe that… Is it a prequel? Okay. If that’s what we want to call it, sure. But the sequel to this movie is not Alien. The sequel to this movie is this other thing.

"The thing about Prometheus was it was a rewrite. Jon Spaihts wrote a script and I rewrote it. And still it was a year of my life that I spent on Prometheus, kind of all in. The idea of building a sequel to it—from the ground up this time—with Ridley is tremendously exciting. But at the same time, I was like, 'Well that’s probably going to be two years of my life.' I can’t do what J.J. [Abrams] does. I don’t have the capability. I’m usually very single-minded creatively. I can only be working on one thing at a time. So I said to him, 'I really don’t think I could start working on this movie until I do this other stuff. And I don’t know when the other stuff is going to be done.' And he was like, 'Well, okay, it’s not like I asked you anyways.' He and I are on excellent terms and it was a dream come true to work with him. But much to the delight of all the fanboys, I don’t see myself being involved in Prometheus-er."

At the box office, Prometheus made over $400 million worldwide. The last we heard about the sequel, Ridley Scott spilled a few details about what the plot will consist of. You can check that out by clicking here.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 10:05 pm 
Editor Emeritus of SDCC

Prometheus Sequel Gets Itself a Writer

by SuperHeroHype

June 17, 2013

Ridley Scott's Prometheus was released last year on June 8 and 20th Century Fox and Scott Free Productions are already moving forward with the currently Untitled Prometheus Sequel---which may as well be called "Prometheus 2" until something better comes along--as they've hired Transcendence scribe Jack Paglen to write the screenplay, according to The Wrap.

As some of you may already know, Transcendence is the directorial debut by Christopher Nolan's Oscar-winning cinematographer Wally Pfister, a sci-fi film starring Johnny Depp, Paul Bettany, Rebecca Hall, Kate Mara and Morgan Freeman, so it's quite an impressive follow-up for the relative newcomer Paglen.

Although Paglen has been rumored for the gig for some time, Ridley Scott has agreed to his take on the direction for the sequel and negotiations are underway.

While the original Prometheus was meant as a prequel of sorts to Ridley Scott's sci-fi classic Alien, the sequel would probably follow-up from the events in Prometheus and branch away from the Alien connections.

Prometheus grossed $403 million worldwide based on a production budget of $130 million and right now it looks like Noomi Rapace and Michael Fassbender will reprise their roles as Dr. Elizabeth Shan and the android David in Prometheus 2, though this is unconfirmed.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 11:42 am 
Editor Emeritus of SDCC

Ridley Scott Offers Updates on Prometheus 2 and Blade Runner 2

by SuperHeroHype

October 30, 2013

Director Ridley Scott did a bit of chatting about Prometheus 2 a few days ago. He didn't offer anything to really chew on. Today, however, some interesting news has surfaced. News that basically makes you wonder if the sequel will happen any time soon.

Scott talked to Empire magazine and confirmed the script has been written. "Prometheus 2 is written... Prometheus was a great experience for me. Chasing number two, we can start evolving the grand idea."

The director has his next two projects lined up for 2014 and 2015, though: Exodus and The Forever War.

In June, Jack Paglen was brought in to work on the script for Prometheus 2. With two projects already on his plate, Scott might not get to the sequel until well after these aforementioned projects.

Scott added that Blade Runner 2 is also still in the works. "Yeah, we're working on [Blade Runner 2] right now - that will happen sooner or later."

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 12:03 am 
Editor Emeritus of SDCC

Prometheus 2 Set for 2016, Michael Green Boards as Writer

SuperHeroHype

Mar 24, 2014

On the heels of last week's announcement that 20th Century Fox has set a mystery Ridley Scott film for March 4, 2016 comes confirmation, via TheWrap, that the project in question is a sequel to 2012's Prometheus (and a prequel to the rest of the Alien franchise).

The outlet also reports that Green Lantern scribe Michael Green, who has been working with Scott on the proposed Blade Runner sequel, will rewrite Prometheus 2 and that the script calls for multiple versions of David, the synthetic played by Michael Fassbender in the first film, which also starred Noomi Rapace, Guy Pearce, Idris Elba, Logan Marshall-Green and Charlize Theron.

Transcendence screenwriter Jack Paglen provided the original draft of the tentatively-titled Prometheus 2, which is expected to enter production this fall.

Post subject: Re: Prometheus 2
PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 10:42 am 
Editor Emeritus of SDCC

Prometheus 2 May Head to Australia

SuperHeroHype

May 23, 2014

With a release date of March 4, 2016 already in place, director Ridley Scott's Prometheus sequel may be heading down under. The Daily Mail today reports that Scott has been spotted in Australia scouting locations for his return to the science fiction universe that began with his Alien in 1979.

Green Lantern scribe Michael Green recently joined the project, rewriting a draft by Transcendence's Jack Paglen.

Prometheus, released in 2012, stars Noomi Rapace, Michael Fassbender, Guy Pearce, Idris Elba, Logan Marshall-Green and Charlize Theron. Although none are confirmed as of yet, look for several of those names to return for the Prometheus 2, which is expected to enter production this fall.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 2:01 pm 
Editor Emeritus of SDCC

Prometheus 2 to Begin Production in January

SuperHeroHype

Aug 03, 2015

Very few updates for the planned Prometheus 2 have been revealed since development was announced last year. A release date was set for March 4, 2016, which was already an impossibility for the follow-up, but now Total Film (via SciFied) has revealed in an article on Ridley Scott’s The Martian that the 77-year-old director is set to begin filming the sequel in January of 2016.

One thing that won’t be present for the sequel are the fan-favorite Xenomorphs from the original Alien franchise.

“The beast is done,” Scott previously said about the monster. “Cooked. I got lucky meeting Giger all those years ago. It’s very hard to repeat that. I just happen to be the one who forced it through because they said it’s obscene. They didn’t want to do it and I said, ‘I want to do it, it’s fantastic.’ But after four, I think it wears out a little bit. There’s only so much snarling you can do. I think you’ve got to come back with something more interesting. And I think we’ve found the next step. I thought the Engineers were quite a good start.”

Written by Michael Green and Jack Paglen, Prometheus 2 will feature the return of Michael Fassbender and Noomi Rapace. The original film also starred Guy Pearce, Idris Elba, Logan Marshall-Green and Charlize Theron. It grossed over $400 million at the global box office, making it the highest grossing entry in the “Alien” franchise.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2015 1:30 pm 
Editor Emeritus of SDCC

Alien: Paradise Lost Circling Rebecca Ferguson to Co-Star

SuperHeroHype

Oct 14, 2015

Buried in Deadline‘s news story about Rebecca Ferguson being cast opposite Michael Fassbender in Thomas Alfredson’s big screen adaptation of Jo Nesbo‘s best-seller The Snowman comes word that the red-hot Mission: Impossible – Rogue Nation actress is under early consideration for a plumb female role in another Fassbender vehicle… Ridley Scott’s forthcoming Prometheus sequel Alien: Paradise Lost, a script for which was just delivered to 20th Century Fox in recent weeks.

This may line up with Scott’s recent reveal about another set of new arrivals to the Engineer homeworld (ironically nicknamed “Paradise”) that Elizabeth Shaw (Noomi Rapace) and David (Fassbender) plan to visit in their croissant-shaped spaceship:

“It’s going to be it’s own separate thing because they are going to the planet of the Engineers and they are going to see what happened there. It was a disaster,” Scott said. “And they will be in that alien craft that takes them there, but with a new group that’s incoming, a new group of travelers in the beginning of the first act.”

Production on Alien: Paradise Lost is set to begin in early 2016, with Rapace and Fassbender set to reprise their roles of Shaw and the android David, respectively. Jack Paglen (Transcendence) and Michael Green (Green Lantern, Blade Runner 2) are providing the screenplay.

Ferguson will next be seen opposite Emily Blunt, Chris Evans and Jared Leto in DreamWorks’ hotly-anticipated The Girl on the Train adaptation, currently in pre-production. She also apparently has big fans at Fox, who sought her out initially for the female lead in their X-Men spin-off Gambit before the role went to Lea Seydoux.

Post subject: Re: Alien: Paradise Lost
PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2015 2:05 pm 
Editor Emeritus of SDCC

Has The Prometheus Sequel Changed Titles Again?

SuperHeroHype

Nov 14, 2015

Back in September, director Ridley Scott revealed that the upcoming Prometheus sequel had undergone a title change and would actually be known as Alien: Paradise Lost. That appears to have changed again however as Indiewire (via Cinema Blend) was present for an extended conversation with Scott at the AFI Film Festival where the director revealed that the slow burn process on the sequel lead to his directing The Martian, in addition to dropping a different title for the film.

“I was going to be doing what will be called ‘Alien: Covenant,’ which starts shooting next February, and we were struggling then with the screenplay there and then there was a phone call, somebody saying, ‘Listen, we’ve got this thing which is completely written called ‘Martian,’ and I said, ‘Huh.’ And I sped read it in an hour and by mid-afternoon, I talked to Fox and said, ‘I need to talk to ‘Drew [Goddard]…’”

It remains to be seen if Alien: Covenant will be the final title for the film or if more name changes are in order, which is possible since the film isn’t set to be released until 2017.

Production on the Prometheus sequel/Alien prequel is set to begin in February of 2016 in Australia, with Noomi Rapace and Michael Fassbender set to reprise their roles of scientist Elizabeth Shaw and the android David, respectively. Jack Paglen (Transcendence) and Michael Green (Green Lantern) are providing the screenplay.

Post subject: Re: Alien: Covenant
PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2015 11:52 am 
Editor Emeritus of SDCC

Alien: Covenant Gets a Title Treatment, Release Date and Synopsis!

SuperHeroHype

Nov 16, 2015

This weekend, director Ridley Scott gave the upcoming Prometheus sequel a brand-new title when he referred to it as Alien: Covenant, a slight change from the previous title of Alien: Paradise Lost. Now 20th Century Fox has confirmed the film will be subtitled “Covenant” and that it will be released in theaters on October 6, 2017, a date it shares with Warner Bros.’ The Jungle Book: Origins. In addition, the synopsis for the film has been released and reads as follows:

Ridley Scott returns to the universe he created in ALIEN with ALIEN: COVENANT, the second chapter in a prequel trilogy that began with PROMETHEUS — and connects directly to Scott’s 1979 seminal work of science fiction. Bound for a remote planet on the far side of the galaxy, the crew of the colony ship Covenant discovers what they think is an uncharted paradise, but is actually a dark, dangerous world — whose sole inhabitant is the “synthetic” David (Michael Fassbender), survivor of the doomed Prometheus expedition.

Production on Alien: Covenant is set to begin in February of 2016 in Australia, with Noomi Rapace and Michael Fassbender set to reprise their roles of scientist Elizabeth Shaw and the android David. Given the film’s synopsis, it remains to be seen how Rapace’s Shaw will factor into the film. Jack Paglen (Transcendence) and Michael Green (Green Lantern) are providing the screenplay.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2015 12:58 am 
Editor Emeritus of SDCC

Ridley Scott Says to Expect Three More Alien Prequels

By ComingSoon

November 27, 2015

On November 16, 20th Century Fox officially announced a title, release date and synopsis for the Prometheus sequel and first of the Alien prequels. The film, which is titled Alien: Covenant, is starting pre-production in Australia now for filming to begin at Sydney’s Fox Studios in March of 2016 for 16 weeks. Coming to theaters on October 6, 2017, Alien: Covenant was described by the studio as follows:

Ridley Scott returns to the universe he created in ALIEN with ALIEN: COVENANT, the second chapter in a prequel trilogy that began with PROMETHEUS — and connects directly to Scott’s 1979 seminal work of science fiction. Bound for a remote planet on the far side of the galaxy, the crew of the colony ship Covenant discovers what they think is an uncharted paradise, but is actually a dark, dangerous world — whose sole inhabitant is the “synthetic” David (Michael Fassbender), survivor of the doomed Prometheus expedition.

Fast forward to today, and Scott says that the line-up of Alien prequels to come are actually more like what James Cameron is planning for the three Avatar sequels, where Prometheus serves as the first film and will be followed by three more movies before linking back up to Scott’s 1979 release, Alien. So, unlike what the synopsis says above, Alien: Covenant will actually be the second movie of four in total.

“Its a very complex story. Its an evolution of what I first did with Prometheus 1,” Scott revealed at a press conference in Sydney, Australia, according to The Hollywood Reporter. “Prometheus 1 was borne out of my frustration that on Alien 1 in 1979 – I only did one as I don’t normally do sequels. I was amazed that in the 3 that followed that no-one asked the question ‘why the Alien, who made it and why?’ Very basic questions. So I came up with the notion of Prometheus 1, which starts to indicate who might have made it and where it came from.”

He added: “So I’m now going to the next one, which is the next evolution directly connected with the first one, which was this Shaw, when [s]he replaced Michael Fassbender in two pieces and we’ll kind of pick it up there and it will evolve. When that’s finished there’ll be another one and then another one which will gradually drive into the back entrance of the film in 1979… So in other words, why was this space jockey there and why did he have an Alien inside him? And those questions will be answered.”

Michael Fassbender is set to reprise the role of the android David. Other casting has not yet been confirmed, but the director did clarify that Noomi Rapace’s Elizabeth Shaw will only appear briefly in Alien: Covenant. Jack Paglen (Transcendence) and Michael Green (Green Lantern) are providing the screenplay.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2015 11:25 pm 
Editor Emeritus of SDCC

Ridley Scott Promises Familiar Aliens in Alien: Covenant

SuperHeroHype

Dec 11, 2015

Although the film went on to gross more than $400 million worldwide, some Alien franchise fans were disappointed that Ridley Scott’s 2012 Prometheus did not feature the franchise’s original creature design until the alternate “Deacon” form at the very end of the film. That’s not going to be the case with the upcoming Prometheus sequel, Alien: Covenant, Scott tells The Wrap. Covenant will bring back H.R. Giger’s popular Xenomorph in its many terrifying forms.

“We’ll have them all,” Scott promises, “Egg, face-hugger, chest-burster, then the big boy.”

Set as the second chapter in a prequel trilogy that began with Prometheus, Alien: Covenant connects directly to Scott’s 1979 seminal work of science fiction. It begins with the colony ship Covenant, bound for a remote planet on the far side of the galaxy. There, the crew discovers what they think is an uncharted paradise, but is actually a dark, dangerous world — whose sole inhabitant is the “synthetic” David (Michael Fassbender), survivor of the doomed Prometheus expedition.

“They’re going to go to the planet where the engineers came from,” Scott continues, “and come across the evolving creature that they had made. Why did they make it? Why would they make such a terrifying beast? It felt bio-mechanoid, it felt like a weapon. And so the movie will explain that, and reintroduce the alien back into it.”

20th Century Fox will release Alien: Covenant in theaters on October 6, 2017. Noomi Rapace and Michael Fassbender are set to reprise their roles as scientist Elizabeth Shaw and the android David, respectively. Given the film’s synopsis, it remains to be seen how Rapace’s Shaw will factor into the film.

Jack Paglen (Transcendence) and Michael Green (Green Lantern) are providing the Alien: Covenant screenplay.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2015 4:27 pm 
Editor Emeritus of SDCC

Katherine Waterston to Star in Ridley Scott’s Alien: Covenant!

SuperHeroHype

Dec 17, 2015

Deadline reports that Katherine Waterston (Inherent Vice) has been cast in Ridley Scott’s upcoming Alien: Covenent in the lead role of Daniels. Waterston previously appeared in Steve Jobs earlier this year and will co-star in the upcoming “Harry Potter” spin-off Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them in November 2016.

Alien: Covenant will land in theaters on October 6, 2017.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2016 5:10 pm 
Editor Emeritus of SDCC

Ridley Scott Says Alien: Covenant Will Have a ‘Pretty Hard R’ Rating

SuperHeroHype

Jan 14, 2016

Work is already underway on Ridley Scott’s upcoming return to the world of Alien. Following a Golden Globe (Best Motion Picture, Comedy or Musical) win for his The Martian, Scott is off to Australia to begin production on the upcoming Alien: Covenant. Speaking backstage, Scott revealed a few details about his plans for the picture, including the fact that he’s shooting for “a pretty hard R” rating. He even teases that he’s got something “much worse” than the iconic chestbuster scene in store.

“I always remember walking down the edge in Saint Louis when we were previewing [Alien],” Scott recalls. “I couldn’t sit through the film one more time. I walked down the edge into the kitchen scene when John Hurt started to bring up his breakfast. That moment, I realized how pretty scary the film was… I felt a sense of responsibility that I had gone too far because it was extreme. I’m going to try and do that again this year, but much worse.”

Of course, an R rating isn’t entirely a surprise given the franchise’s history. Of the seven Alien films, only one has not received an R. Released in 2004, Paul W.S. Anderson’s Alien vs. Predator was released with a PG-13.

Set as the second chapter in a prequel trilogy that began with Prometheus, Alien: Covenant connects directly to Scott’s 1979 seminal work of science fiction. It begins with the colony ship Covenant, bound for a remote planet on the far side of the galaxy. There, the crew discovers what they think is an uncharted paradise, but is actually a dark, dangerous world — whose sole inhabitant is the “synthetic” David (Michael Fassbender), survivor of the doomed Prometheus expedition.

20th Century Fox will release Alien: Covenant in theaters on October 6, 2017. Noomi Rapace and Michael Fassbender are set to reprise their roles as scientist Elizabeth Shaw and the android David, respectively, with Katherine Waterston set to play a woman named Daniels. Jack Paglen (Transcendence) and Michael Green (Green Lantern) are providing the Alien: Covenant screenplay.

You can check out the video of Scott yourself in the player below, courtesy of Screen Slam (via AvPGalaxy).