World War Z finally opens in theaters tomorrow and star Brad Pitt is already hinting at the future. When speaking with The Hollywood Reporter, Pitt had this to say about another movie: "There is enough to mine from the book. We could barely get a fraction of the book in. So we'll see. We'll see."
The first film has had a difficult time throughout its production with reshoots, rewrites, budgetary issues and other problems plaguing its journey to the big screen, making the hopes for a sequel somewhat slim.
Opening June 21, World War Z stars Brad Pitt, Mireille Enos, Daniella Kertesz, James Badge Dale, Matthew Fox and David Morse.
Directed by Marc Forster, the thriller revolves around United Nations employee Gerry Lane (Pitt), who traverses the world in a race against time to stop a pandemic that is toppling armies and governments and threatening to decimate humanity itself.
You can read our review for World War Z by clicking here.
With World War Z now in theaters, Titan Books has released a making-of companion book called "World War Z: The Art of the Film" which includes the script as well as a ton of concept art.
In the film, the zombies don't get a lot of close-up face time. There's some stuff, but mostly we see the undead in wide shots, as a swarm of decaying, scrambling bodies. The companion book goes deep and sheds some light on some terrific concept pieces featuring the zombies and ShockTillYouDrop.com has compiled a few images which you can check out here.
In related news, The Hollywood Reporter says that Paramount and Brad Pitt will actively turn to developing a sequel after the film's $111.8 million worldwide opening this weekend. The movie earned $66 million domestically and $45.8 million overseas. It was made for $190 million.
Variety caught up to Brad Pitt at the Toronto International Film Festival and got some quotes from the man about a sequel to World War Z.
Before the release of World War Z, Pitt hinted that the film could pave the way for a trilogy. To date, the film has made $536 million - not too shabby for a zombie epic that was receiving a lot of negative buzz based on the film's production troubles.
Needless to say, based on those numbers, a sequel is likely and Pitt seems hopeful one is going to happen.
In the below video chat, he says:
"We're certainly talking about it, yeah. We have so many ideas on the table from just the time we spent developing this thing and figuring out how zombie worlds work. We have so many ideas and so much information, we think we have a lot of stuff to mine from. We're going to do our best and see what we get out of it."
With a worldwide box office take in excess of $539 million for the original film, Paramount Pictures and Plan B entertainment are keen on developing a sequel to director Marc Forster's World War Z. In an interview today with The Hollywood Reporter, producer and star Brad Pitt says that a number of ideas are currently being explored and that Forster is not planning on returning.
"We are talking about it," Pitt says of early sequel plans. "We are going to investigate a script. We have a lot of ideas we will cull from. Nobody is writing just yet, but we are compiling our ideas."
Last month, Forster hinted to ShockTillYouDrop.com that he wasn't necessarily keen on revisiting the zombie apocalypse.
"I like to explore different worlds," he said. "If I haven't done a genre, I like to challenge myself."
The original film, now available on DVD and Blu-ray, also stars Mireille Enos, Daniella Kertesz, James Badge Dale, Matthew Fox and David Morse and adapts Max Brooks' bestselling novel of the same name.
Paramount Pictures has hired The Impossible and The Orphanage helmer Juan Antonio Bayona to direct the World War Z sequel, says The Hollywood Reporter.
Brad Pitt will again star and produce the sequel to this summer's release, which earned an impressive $540 million worldwide. The film, which was directed by Marc Forster and based on the novel by Max Brooks, took in $202.4 million domestically and $337.6 million overseas.
The trade adds that no writers are attached at this stage. The studio has not set a release date yet.
It was revealed late last year that Brad Pitt is looking to reprise his role as Gerry Lane in an upcoming sequel to World War Z with The Impossible's Juan Antonio Bayona attached to direct. Today, Variety brings word that Locke writer and director Steven Knight will provide the screenplay.
Pitt will also again serve as producer on the project, which will expand on the world of the original. Directed by Marc Forster, World War Z was based on the novel by Max Brooks. At the box office, it took in an impressive $202.4 million domestically and $337.6 million overseas.
Knight's upcoming screenplays include the fantasy Seventh Son, the comedy drama The Hundred-Foot Journey and the Bobby Fischer biopic Pawn Sacrifice.
It was revealed back in 2013 that Brad Pitt will be reprising his role as Gerry Lane for an upcoming (still untitled) sequel to World War Z with The Impossible‘s Juan Antonio Bayona attached to direct. Today, Paramount Pictures has revealed that World War Z 2 will be waged on June 9, 2017. That’s the same day that 20th Century Fox has earmarked for its planned Fantastic Four 2. That’s not the only box office showdown potentially in the cards today, either. Universal Pictures is setting their romantic comedy sequel My Big Fat Greek Wedding 2 for release on March 25, 2016. That’s the same day as Warner Bros.’ comic book showdown Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice.
Locke writer and director Steven Knight will be providing the screenplay for World War Z 2 with Pitt again serving as producer.
My Big Fat Greek Wedding 2, meanwhile, hails from Gold Circle Entertainment and Playtone production and serves as the long-awaited follow-up to the highest-grossing romantic comedy of all time. Written by Academy Award nominee Nia Vardalos, who stars alongside the entire returning cast of favorites, the film reveals a Portokalos family secret that will bring the beloved characters back together for an even bigger and Greeker wedding.
Kirk Jones (Nanny McPhee, Waking Ned Devine) directs the next chapter of the film that will be once again produced by Rita Wilson and Playtone partners Tom Hanks and Gary Goetzman. Paul Brooks and Steven Shareshian return to executive produce alongside Vardalos and Scott Niemeyer. Universal Pictures will distribute the comedy domestically and in select international territories.
The World War Z sequel has lost its director due to timing, reports Deadline. Paramount Pictures confirmed to the site that The Orphanage and The Impossible helmer Juan Antonio Bayona left the movie with the following statement:
“Bayona is no longer able to make World War Z 2 this year, and it is our ambition to do so. He is a wonderful director and we hope to work with him soon.”
Paramount and Plan B are preparing to start filming the sequel to the blockbuster this summer with Brad Pitt reprising his lead role from a script by Steven Knight that Dennis Kelly rewrote. The studio and Skydance Productions want to have the World War Z sequel in theaters on June 9, 2017, but Bayona needed more time to work on his next film, Focus Features’ A Monster Calls, opening on October 14, 2016.
Despite production problems and an expensive reshoot of the third act, the first World War Z was a big hit worldwide with $540 million. The film, based on Max Brooks’ novel, was directed by Marc Forster on a $190 million budget. The sequel is being produced by Pitt, Dede Gardner, Jeremy Kleiner, Ian Bryce and Skydance’s David Ellison.
While the World War Z sequel will have to find a new director quickly, it is probably good news for the upcoming Jurassic World sequel. It was previously reported that Bayona had been approached by Universal Pictures to take over the director’s chair for the follow-up to Jurassic World, which earned $1.669 billion worldwide last year. At that time, he was committed to taking on the World War Z sequel, however.