Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Wed Sep 17, 2014 7:39 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 176 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12  Next
 Post subject: Iron Man 3
PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 1:52 pm 
Editor Emeritus of SDCC

From IGN:

Tony Stark to Hit the Bottle in Iron Man 3?

Plus War Machine may get spinoff.

by Orlando Parfitt, IGN UK

UK, January 8, 2010 - Comic book artist Bob Layton - who helped create the War Machine character for Marvel - has been speaking to MTV News about possible storylines for Iron Man 3.

Layton reckons that the 'Demon in a Bottle' storyline - which he wrote with David Michelinie - could be introduced in the third installment.

"I think they've come up with a terrific segue to the third film, which I think is going to be fairly powerful," he said. "My understanding is that the third film could very well be the 'Demon in a Bottle' story mixed in there with everything and I'm kind of looking forward to that, if that's where they wind up going."

The classic story sees Tony Stark succumb to alcoholism when Justin Hammer attempts to take over Stark International.

Layton also speculated that the decision to introduce War Machine in Iron Man 2 could be to pave the way for the character to get his own spin-off movie, or replace Tony Stark in The Avengers

He said: "If they're doing the Avengers film, they always have the option of using War Machine instead of Iron Man depending upon what happens contractually...But there's always the possibility that if it does well, it can spin-off. Because obviously there's a different character and a different motivation with War Machine than there is with Tony Stark."

Iron Man 2 hits cinema screens on April 30 in the UK, and on May 7 in the US.

Mike
(Image)

Post subject: Re: Iron Man 3
PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 6:10 pm 
Editor Emeritus of SDCC

From IGN:

Iron Man 3 In Trouble?

Studios may duke it out over Tony Stark's next movie.

May 11, 2010

by Phil Pirrello

Iron Man 2 ends on a note that basically tells audiences that a third installment is likely. But the recent Disney-Marvel super merger may have done what Whiplash couldn't: Put a stop to Tony Stark's future missions at Paramount.

The Wrap reports that, in the wake if the sequel's $128.1 million dollar opening weekend, Disney (Marvel's corporate parent) may take Iron Man 3 away from current distributor Paramount.

You see, kids, before Mickey Mouse and iCarly purchased the Marvel U., Paramount Pictures had a distribution deal with Marvel, a deal that Marvel extended to include Iron Man 2, Thor, Captain America: The First Avenger, The Avengers and...Iron Man 3. Marvel extended the deal soon after the first Iron Man movie's theatrical success on opening weekend 2008.

So why doesn't Marvel just come out and say what the deal is with Iron Man 3? Well they did... ish. On Monday, the studio vaguely declared the following: ""Under the terms of Marvel Studios' agreement with Paramount Pictures, Paramount will distribute Iron Man 2 plus the next three Marvel films, and any potential Iron Man 3 film."

And to volley back, Paramount issued this: "If Marvel was to move ahead with a third installment, Paramount will distribute."

But so far, no one has actually said there will be a second sequel. Why? Have they developed an allergic reaction to piles of cash? (Paramount is the studio developing a MAGIC 8-BALL movie after all...)

Director Jon Favreau has strongly hinted that The Mandarin will be the third movie's villain, and Downey Jr., during an interview with IGN to promote Iron Man 2, alluded to his commitment to star in a third Shellhead movie and said he also believed Mandarin would be the villain.

So once all the gossip and cheeto dust settles, we'd bet dollars to donuts that Iron Man 3 will see the light of day. And that the distributor will be decided via an ol' fashioned cage match. (*Gestures to backyard Thunderdome, hands Disney a trident and Paramount a pool cue.*)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 6:35 am 
Armored Avenger of Arduous Aspirations

PLEASE don't let this end up in development hell a la the James Bond movies or Watchmen (which was almost cancelled because companies couldn't play nice).

And before anybody says it: Yes, Watchmen bombed, but I liked it.

Trade Rating +55 and counting

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 6:47 am 
3 3/4"

Shellhead wrote:
PLEASE don't let this end up in development hell a la the James Bond movies.

In fairness, the next James Bond movie is not really in development hell. It's just on hold because of MGMs financial woes and that the search for a new buyer is not going well. Last I read, a smaller company was looking to buy them as opposed to someone like WB or Sony (whom the Bond people liked). The Bond brain trust is rooting for a bigger buyer to ensure nobody gets the idea that the next bond movie could be done on the cheap.

But they had hired a director (Sam Mendes) who had already begun re-writing the script. I'm sure the next film would've been on track had it not been for MGMs problems. I hope all the plans can stick when everything gets sorted out.

Just to speculate, I would not be surprised if EON tries to become a free agent in some way if the legal entanglements and rights issues could be minimized.

As for Iron Man 3, I was surprised Mandarin wasn't in 2! After all of the subtle references to the 10 rings in the first one, I thought I'd see something more substantial in the sequel. I'm glad he'd be the guy. I don't remember any 10 Rings hints in 2. Justin Hammer and Whiplash were fairly ineffectual villains. I'm not too worried about this distribution thing.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 8:07 am 

And if you've read the Iron Man movie novel, the hints are even more deliberate.

Jon has mentioned in the past that Mandy would be hard to adapt to the movie universe, but I don't really see why. With all the undercurrents of Chinese suspicion we have in the US today, Mandy is more relevant than ever.

Just turn him into a high-tech tycoon from China, ditch the mystic/space alien origin of his rings, and he's pretty much good to go. I think it would do wonders for the franchise to have a villain who's not in armor, or at least whose face is uncovered. :wink:

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 12:37 pm 
willing to display nerd-rage meltdown for custom subnic

I know some may not agree with me, but I've always found the Mandarin to be one of Iron Man's most intriguing adversaries. I really don't see why they couldn't almost "copy and paste" the screenplay (or whatever it's called when it's animated) from the Iron Man DTV from a few years ago. I thought that movie was really good.

I don't fail, I just succeed at finding ways that don't work.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 1:09 pm 
Daniel Pickett

SDcomics wrote:
From IGN:

You see, kids, before Mickey Mouse and iCarly purchased the Marvel U., Paramount Pictures had a distribution deal with Marvel, a deal that Marvel extended to include Iron Man 2, Thor, Captain America: The First Avenger, The Avengers and...Iron Man 3. Marvel extended the deal soon after the first Iron Man movie's theatrical success on opening weekend 2008.

Dear IGN,

Disney doesn't own iCarly. That's a Nickelodeon property, which is owned by Viacom. You are thinking of Hannah Montana. Fact-checking is your friend.

D.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 2:52 pm 
Editor Emeritus of SDCC

Disney to Distribute The Avengers and Iron Man 3

by SuperHeroHype

Oct 18th, 2010

Iron Man 3 scheduled for May 3, 2013

The Walt Disney Studios, Paramount Pictures and Marvel Studios announced they have reached an agreement under which Paramount will transfer its worldwide marketing and distribution rights to Disney for Marvel Studios' The Avengers and Iron Man 3. Paramount will remain the worldwide distributor of the upcoming films, Thor and Captain America: The First Avenger, as well as the previously released Iron Man and Iron Man 2.

Under terms of the new deal, Disney will pay Paramount $115 million for the transfer of the distribution rights to Iron Man 3 and The Avengers to be paid on the theatrical release dates. These monies will serve as a minimum guarantee against the distribution fees.

"In completing this agreement, Disney will now assume worldwide marketing and distribution of 'The Avengers' and 'Iron Man 3' and leverage these two highly-anticipated films across the multiple global platforms of The Walt Disney Company," said Rich Ross, Chairman of The Walt Disney Studios. "We appreciate the tremendous momentum that Paramount established with these iconic Marvel characters and look forward to propelling the brand even further in the coming years."

"Five years ago, when Paramount and Marvel made our initial deal, both our businesses were in very different places," said Brad Grey, Chairman & CEO of Paramount Pictures. "We are grateful for the partnership we have had with the terrific Marvel team over these years and proud of the work we have done together. Today, this new agreement is the right deal for Paramount, for Marvel and for Disney. We look forward to working together on 'Thor' and 'Captain America,' and we wish Disney and Marvel the utmost success, in what we know will be a very productive and wide-ranging partnership."

"Paramount has been a wonderful partner in helping Marvel Studios bring our characters to the big screen," said Alan Fine, Office of the President, Marvel Worldwide, Inc. "This agreement makes sense now that Marvel is part of The Walt Disney Company."

Paramount will release Marvel Entertainment's Thor and Captain America: The First Avenger worldwide beginning on May 6 and July 22 of 2011, respectively. The Avengers will be licensed to Epix under Paramount's existing pay television arrangement.

Disney is planning a May 3, 2013 release date for Iron Man 3.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 8:27 am 
Editor Emeritus of SDCC

From IGN:

Favreau Talks Iron Man 3

Director calls it a sequel to Cap, Thor and Avengers.

December 6, 2010

by Scott Collura

It doesn't seem that Iron Man director Jon Favreau has much of an idea at all what Iron Man 3 will be about. And from what the filmmaker says, neither do the execs at Marvel... yet.

While talking to MTV, The Favs had the following to say:

"In theory, Iron Man 3 is going to be a sequel or continuation of Thor, Hulk, Captain America and Avengers," he says. "This whole world... I have no idea what it is. I don't think they do either, from conversations I've had with those guys."

His point is that as each film is created, the bigger Marvel movie universe will grow and evolve with it. So who can say where Tony Stark will be after the events of Avengers, for example?

"Honestly, right now Captain America and Thor are their big priorities, and you learn things by shooting and making movies," he continues. "The script is one thing, but when you actually see what you land on at the editing room -- especially with Marvel where they film, cut, film some more and shape the film -- you really learn as you go."

Favreau adds that he doesn't know much about Thor and hasn't read the script for Avengers, but he has met with the directors of both films to briefly talk about the projects. 'Cause that's how those Hollywood swinger directors roll!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 10:24 am 
Still ahead of Mudd

Shellhead wrote:
And if you've read the Iron Man movie novel, the hints are even more deliberate.

Jon has mentioned in the past that Mandy would be hard to adapt to the movie universe, but I don't really see why. With all the undercurrents of Chinese suspicion we have in the US today, Mandy is more relevant than ever.

Just turn him into a high-tech tycoon from China, ditch the mystic/space alien origin of his rings, and he's pretty much good to go. I think it would do wonders for the franchise to have a villain who's not in armor, or at least whose face is uncovered. :wink:

Im thinking Chow Yun Fat for this role-- --

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 11:22 am 

I would be pleased with him in that role. I kind of see them handling Mandarin a la the "Rising Sun" Crichton movie back in the 90's, only with a lot more repulsor blasts! :mrgreen:

Not sure is they can pull off a live action Mandy using kung fu to break the armor with his bare hands like he used to back in the silver age, though. :shock:

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 7:22 am 
Editor Emeritus of SDCC

No Iron Man 3 for Jon Favreau

by SuperHeroHype

Dec 14th, 2010

The director of the first two films will not be returning

Jon Favreau will not be returning to the Marvel Universe for a third Iron Man film, Vulture reports.

The article suggests that the choice was made at the director's discretion and that he informed Marvel Studios of his decision this morning. Though Favreau's reasoning is purely speculatory at this stage, it is likely that the director simply wishes to pursue other creative ventures. With the upcoming Cowboys & Aliens hitting next summer and The Magic Kingdom in the early planning stages, Favreau should remain suitably busy for the time being.

UPDATE: It's been confirmed that Favreau is not returning for the third movie. Favreau posted the following on his Twitter account: "It's true, I'm directing Magic Kingdom, not Iron Man 3. I've had a great run with Marvel and wish them the best."

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 11:29 am 

Initially, I think this is bad news.

On second thought, I would love to see some other interpretations of Iron Man. One thing Jon kinda disappointed in was the action scenes. As much as I love the characters interacting, I wouldn't mind more time in the armor. In IM2 there's like a 40 minute gap out of the suit, and more like an hour is you don't include its cameo at the beginning during the Stark Expo.

So I'm cautiously optimistic. :|

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 8:14 am 
Damn you, Autocorrect!

the first iron man movie was my introduction to iron man. when i was a kid i was way into dc, but never read a single issue of anything by marvel. up until the movie, i actually thought he had been turned to steel in a great magnetic field, like the sabbath song. having realized this is not the case, i've gotten really into iron man. invincible iron man and deadpool max are the only 2 current marvel titles i'm reading and i gotta say, any jooglejam in a metal suit can be "iron man". what makes iron man interesting to me is selling a good tony stark. you can put janine garafalo in a batman suit and she's batman, but what sells batman is a good bruce wayne. conversely, what makes a good superman is the idea of an alien posing as a human and balancing the idea of interacting with hairless apes on the largest thing they know -earth- versus the epic playground/battlefield superman actually exists in, in which his newfound home is merely just a pebble in the driveway of the universe. any idiot with black rimmed glasses can be clark kent. you cant just throw red underwear on some christopher reeve lookalike and say you've just made an awesome new superman movie.

wow. i got waaaaaay off track there. my point was, if it was up to me, iron man would be a pretty incidental element of the iron man movie. at least the robert downy juniverse iron man. i really have enjoyed the character development and there's just enough action thusfar. maybe a reboot for the kickass anime style tour de force of epic robot battles, or even leave it for the straight to video animated stuff. what i am dreading is that zack snyder takes over and completely ruins it like he has everything else he's touched.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 1:18 pm 
willing to display nerd-rage meltdown for custom subnic

Wow shishalzafrazz, tangent much? :P Just messing with you. I actually agree with you to an extent. But I think the point Shellhead is making is that there should be a little more balance than there is. Right now I think it's in the realm of 80/20 for character development and story, versus action sequences. I think that it should be closer to 65/35. Which isn't a huge difference percentage-wise, but I think it would translate well on screen.

I don't fail, I just succeed at finding ways that don't work.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 176 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12  Next