Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Wed Apr 23, 2014 12:34 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 92 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
 Post subject: Star Trek Into Darkness
PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 5:38 am 
Editor Emeritus of SDCC

J. J. Abrams' Star Trek Sequel Sets its Stardate!

Source:comingsoon.net

January 8, 2010

It looks like Paramount Pictures has decided at least on a tentative release date for J. J. Abrams' anticipated Untitled Star Trek Sequel as it stakes claim to the coveted pre-4th of July weekend of June 29, 2012. At this time, it is the only movie scheduled for June that summer, and absolutely nothing is known of the sequel except that one expects most of the cast introduced in the first movie to return.

Mike
(Image)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 2:31 pm 
serves the Otter

Yay! I liked the first one, and my wife (a certified Trek-hater until this point) loved it. I'm looking forward to what they can do in this strange new world.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 1:26 pm 
Editor Emeritus of SDCC

From IGN:

Abrams on Next Trek

Helmer on directing sequel and going up against Spidey.

by Eric Goldman and Jim Vejvoda

January 13, 2010 - Filmmaker J.J. Abrams attended the Fox TCA party Tuesday night, where he spoke to the press mainly about his TV series Fringe but also managed to toss in a few morsels about the sequel to his summer blockbuster Star Trek.

Q: Are you closer to a decision about whether you're going to direct the next Star Trek movie?

J.J. Abrams: No. We don't have a [completed] script yet or anything, but we have a release date. There's a release date, but we're still working on the script. The idea is that they have faith in this team.

Q: How gratifying was it to find out about the Writers Guild nomination for the first film?

Abrams: I'm very happy for Alex [Kurtzman] and Bob [Orci].

Q: Did you have any idea that that might come your way?

Abrams: No. I'm thrilled for them. The truth is, they're incredibly talented, hard-workers who often get marginalized because they're so successful. But, they're great writers, so it's wonderful to see them get the kind of credit they deserve. (Production Designer) Scott Chambliss was nominated. The make-up team was nominated. The visual effects were nominated. It's great to see these amazing artists who have worked so hard, who could easily get marginalized because it's something called Star Trek. They're so good. I hope that Michael Kaplan, who did an amazing job with the wardrobe, gets recognition too. Amazing people worked on that movie.

Q: Now there's buzz that it could be up for an Oscar. What would that mean for the film?

Abrams: I can't imagine it, but it would be a wonderful thing for everyone involved. It's hard to fathom.

Q: What do you think of Spider-Man going up against Star Trek 2 in Summer 2012?

Abrams: I'd be psyched to see what that is. I know they're talking about a reboot of Spider-Man, so that will be interesting. I would think that there's room for all of us.

Q: Do you have a date for delivering a script for Star Trek 2?

Abrams: Not really. I'm sure there is one, but I haven't figured out what it is. You can work backwards and figure out that you probably would need something now.

Mike
(Image)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 1:38 pm 
Editor Emeritus of SDCC

From IGN:

Your Monthly Trek 2 Static

Villains, five-year missions, and apologies to Eric Bana.

by Scott Collura

January 22, 2010 - The scripting/producing duo of Roberto Orci and Alex Kurtzman are practically omnipresent lately, like Q but not quite as annoying. And every time they show up in public they have something new to say about their planned Star Trek sequel… while not saying all that much at all. Hey, they learned from their boss on the first film, J.J. Abrams. He's really good at double-talk when facing the press.

And so it went at a recent WGA screening of Trek, as reported by TrekMovie. The pair took part in a Q&A following the film, where they spoke a bit -- and as vaguely as possible -- about Star Trek 2.

"We would never do a remake," Orci said of the sequel's setting. "It will be some time in the five-year mission. But that is a question. Should we pick them up immediately the next day or should it be later? We are still discussing that."

Regarding the villain of the next film, the pair seems to think that the baddie in a first film in a series isn't all that important. Sorry Eric Bana!

"I think our idea on this is that the first of any series is about them coming together or the formation," said Kurtzman. "I couldn't really tell you what Jeff Bridges was doing in Iron Man, but it doesn't matter at all because it is all about Iron Man becoming Iron Man. Whereas I think sequels are very much about the villain. Because while [in the first one] the villain serves to bring the crew together, the second one I think has to be a true challenging of what that family is about. That is why Wrath of Khan was so amazing. Khan tested each one of them and ultimately asked for the ultimate sacrifice, and that is why that movie held up so well."

That doesn't necessarily mean Khan will show up in the sequel… though you gotta think Paramount is taking a Sony/Venom mindset towards the genetically-created superman at this point. He offered the world order, after all.

Mike
(Image)

Post subject: Re: Untitled Star Trek Sequel
PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 1:38 pm 
Editor Emeritus of SDCC

Karl Urban on Priest and Star Trek 2

Source: comingsoon.net

April 19, 2010

He made a name for himself in TV shows like "Hercules: The Legendary Journeys" and its spin-off "Xena: Warrior Princess," but Karl Urban became more internationally known when he landed the role of Éomer in the second and third "Lord of the Rings" films. Since then, the New Zealand actor has gone on to star in films such as The Bourne Supremacy and the last year's Star Trek, which grossed $385.5 million worldwide.

ComingSoon.net talked to Urban recently about his role as the villain in the upcoming comic book adaptation Priest, in which he will face a warrior priest (Paul Bettany), a young sheriff (Cam Gigandet) and a beautiful priestess (Maggie Q). He also gave us his thoughts about the Star Trek sequel and beyond.

Q: Can you talk about who you play in "Priest" and if you've seen the dailies?
Karl Urban: I haven't seen anything. I heard the other day they showed the film to Sam Rami and a bunch of execs over at Sony and they were just really thrilled with it. I'm really looking forward to seeing it. I play a character called Black Hat who is the villain of the film. I think that's coming out early next year I believe.

Q: Did you enjoy playing a villain?
Urban: I did. The fun things about villains is that they get to do and say those things that we can never do in real life. I love that.

Q: Was there any villain that inspired you or the role?
Urban: Really it's a big nod back to the silent movie days. The villain in a western wore a black hat so visually it takes it's queue off that.

Q: Is the body language the same? Any twirling of mustaches?
Urban: No, I think that's a mistake. You go into a generic area there. The thing about that character was that he was a former priest and his job was to hunt down vampires. He was captured and turned into one and found himself on the other side. I guess it's kind of a do or die situation.

Q: It's more fun playing the villain though because they're more complex right?
Urban: I had a lot of fun on that. There was an emotional complexity about it in terms of the fact that I felt betrayed by Paul Bettany's character for having let me go or letting him let me be captured or not killed me. There's sort of interesting layers that you can sort of infuse and the depth of that rage and anger and longing and lust even of wanting Paul Bettany's character the Priest to come and join me so together as brothers they can exterminate humanity.

Q: The vampire genre seems to really be taking off. Why do you think that is?
Urban: I think it's kind of sexy. It's definitely after post-"True Blood" and "Twilight," it's really interesting how that whole genre has taken off. I think there's something taboo about it and that's always very attractive and forbidden and sexual. I think that's a great hook for people. You always want what you can't have.

Q: Were you kind of hesitant to take the role because you didn't want to make it seem like you were jumping on the bandwagon for the genre?
Urban: No, I wasn't at all actually. I thought, "Well, I can take that one off. I've never done that before." That's what interests me - if I can find something I haven't done before then that piques my interest.

Q: What do you think of evolution of your character is going to be like in the next "Star Trek"?
Urban: I have no idea. I just know it's going to be good. I'm really looking forward to getting on board that one and I feel now we've introduced all these great characters. It's going to be really interesting to see where we can take it.

Q: Will you start shooting soon?
Urban: No, I think it will start to shoot at the beginning of next year.

Q: You'll be at Comic-Con promoting "Priest." Is that something you're looking forward to and what do you geek out on? Do you collect anything?
Urban: Yeah, I do. I mainly buy for my kids (he winks). I've got a great light saber collection.

Q: I'm going to call you on this. What kind of light sabers do you have and what company makes them?
Urban: I could be wrong, but light force.

Q: Master Replica?
Urban: That's it. They're brilliant. I've got a Yoda one. I've got a little green one and then a blue one and a red one. It makes for a lot of fun until you get hit in the face.

Q: Who is hitting you in the face with a light saber?
Urban: My kids. I'm big on "Doctor Who" so I'll go for DVD's and all that sort of stuff.

Q: Do you understand the "Trek" fans a little more now?
Urban: Yeah, but in a lot of ways I geek out maybe not quite as much some as the other ones - I don't dress up but I love going there and seeing all the models and the different stalls of the different movies and TV shows. It's a great way for everyone to collectively get together and celebrate the pop culture. I have a lot of fun there. I have a lot of fun walking around and checking everything out more so than doing the Q & A's and the press.

Q: What's next for you?
Urban: Apart from the next "Trek" film I don't know what I'm going to do next. I've had the opportunity to do a couple of things, but I've been away for three months so I've going to go back and spend some time at home before the next thing and I never know what that is until I read the script. If I start making decisions on how to play the character while I'm reading it or if I connect on some emotional level then that's generally a good indication that that's something I'd like to do.

Q: Do you want to direct and produce?
Urban: That's a good question. I've been blessed to work with some truly phenomenal directors. I have so much respect for everything that comprises their craft. I'm not raising my hand saying I can do that. I'm quite happy doing what I'm doing at the moment. If you're a director, the commitment can be several years seeing a project through its development and then shooting and then to post. I kind of like the three to four month commitment or whatever it is. I certainly have some stories I'd love to tell if I ever get around to doing something like that.

Q: You're signed on for two "Trek" sequels right?
Urban: Correct.

Q: Do you see yourself going beyond those two or is it just going to be a three movie deal?
Urban: I don't know. I think that depends on many factors.

Q: Do you think you'd get bored with it eventually?
Urban: That is entirely dependent. It's like anything - if you're in a long running TV show or a play. If you're running out of new territory, then sure, that could get potentially stagnant. The thing specifically about "Trek" is that you have to look at who is involved. J.J [Abrams] and Roberto Orci, Alex Kurtzman, they're all incredibly onto it creatively so I've got faith in them. If it goes beyond three, then I'd go for it.

Q: Have you made any requests to the writers about where you want your character to go?
Urban: No, I think that they're geniuses and you should just let them do what they do. I have officially thrown a genius label on them. I've got full faith that whatever they come up with is going to equal and surpass the first installment.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 2:45 pm 
Editor Emeritus of SDCC

From IGN:

Saldana on Sex With Spock

Uhura discusses potential for further inter-species romance in Star Trek 2.

by Chris Tilly, IGN UK

UK, April 22, 2010 - Actress Zoe Saldana has been discussing the relationship between Spock and Uhura in J.J. Abrams' new take on the Star Trek story.

Speaking to MTV, Saldana said, "There was a huge acceptance and excitement with what J.J. and the writers -- Alex Kurtzman and Roberto Orci -- did with that twist. What they did was a huge gamble, and when it worked, it worked really, really well."

But what of the potential for bedroom sparks to fly between the human Uhura and the half-human/half-Vulcan Spock in part two?

"It would be interesting to see what they are going to do with it," continued Saldana. "I really hope they keep [the relationship] and continue to explore it. But at the same time too -- this is coming from my mother, who is a Trekkie -- I could be wrong, but I thought that Vulcans only mate every seven years. So now that the planet [Vulcan] has been extinguished, it's kind of interesting. Can Spock mate with a non-Vulcan?"

It's a good question, and one that the writers will doubtless explore in Star Trek 2, but would you like to see the Uhura/Spock relationship continue in the sequel? Feel free to chime in with your thoughts below...

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 10:42 pm 
Editor Emeritus of SDCC

From IGN:

Trekkin' With Orci & Aliens

Screenwriter Roberto Orci talks to IGN about his upcoming projects.

June 14, 2010

by Eric Goldman

Last month, IGN spoke with screenwriter Roberto Orci at the CBS's upfront party. Orci was there in support of his new TV series, a modernized reboot of Hawaii Five-0. During our chat, Orci gave us an update on his upcoming movies Star Trek 2 and the comic book adaptation Cowboys & Aliens, which began filming since this conversation took place.

IGN: How is Cowboys & Aliens going?

Roberto Orci: It's going great. Talk about a lucky cast, man. And we're not done yet. Harrison Ford! We've got James Bond vs. Indiana Jones. What do you want?! It's amazing. We're about to shoot. Man, I can't believe it. We're going to be in New Mexico. So we are going to shoot it in a great, real location, which is awesome. We're still working on the script. The script is getting better and better, I hope.

You know, the hard thing about this movie is the tone. It's all about that sweet spot. We started the movie and the first draft was very kind of jokey and broad and then it went very serious. You kind of swing back and forth between the two extremes and the tone until you find the exact right point where a Western and a sci-fi movie can really shake hands without it seeming unnatural. And we've used every minute we've had to get it right. I'm excited to go out there. It's gonna be like camping or something. We're going to be out in the middle of the desert at 7500 feet, just kind of making a movie. So I'm really excited.

IGN: I'm just glad someone is making that kind of movie. I used to joke that I wanted to see Remains of the Day and half way through aliens show up.

Orci: Yeah! When people ask us, well what is it really? Well the title will tell you. But imagine you're watching Unforgiven and then Aliens land.

IGN: J.J. Abrams is about to shoot Super 8. After that, has he decided if he's going to direct the Star Trek sequel or not?

Orci: You know him. Until he reads the script and gets super excited he's not going to commit to anything. God Bless him. Just like the first movie.

IGN: Is the next Star Trek still looking to shoot around the middle of next year?

Orci: We'll work backwards from 2012. So you know, you can do the math. We've got to probably turn it in by Christmas and get a pretty good draft by then. And then kind of get it up and running.

IGN: When you see something online, like fans saying,
"Nestor Carbonell should play Khan," does it ever make you start to mull something over?

Orci: I bring it up. Any cool suggestion I read from the fans I'll bring up in our meetings. And I'll say, 'One of the fans suggested this.' So this has always been an experiment in fan consultation for us. They really are consultants on the movie.

IGN: Second movies, including Wrath of Khan, are often the dark chapter. Things often get pretty intense. Are you going to go in that direction?

Orci: Well, it's weird. We got kind of a mixed review in terms of the darkness or not in the first one. There was genocide of an entire planet, Spock's freaking mother died, Kirk's dad died… But it's like, "Well, it wasn't very dark!"

So I think maybe thematically, because we don't have the burden of an origin story, we can play a little bit more with the theme and it can be a little bit more complicated. But I still think we like fun. Star Trek has always been funny. Even Wrath of Khan has got some great great, great fun in it. I think it will be equally confusing for some, but I do think we get to jump right into it now.

IGN: Leonard Nimoy's been very adamant that he's done acting. Were there ideas you had for the sequel that are derailed by that?

Orci: He was so generous and gracious to us as fans and to us as people working on that franchise to come out of retirement that it's embarrassing to ask him to do another bossywog thing. So if he came over and said, "I really want to do something," we'd listen. But we're not about to go and beg him one more time. He has served Star Trek more amiably than anyone can ever hope and we will defer to his wishes.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 11:28 pm 
Editor Emeritus of SDCC

Star Trek Sequel Starts Filming in January

July 20, 2010

Bruce Greenwood, who played Christopher Pike in J.J. Abrams' Star Trek, revealed to Hollywood.com that filming on the sequel will start in January.

"I just know that the plan is to film it in January, more than that, I don't know," Greenwood said, adding that he hoped to have a role in the movie.

John Cho, Simon Pegg, Chris Pine, Zachary Quinto, Zoe Saldana, Karl Urban and Anton Yelchin are expected to return in the June 29, 2012 release. Roberto Orci and Alex Kurtzman again wrote the script.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 5:38 pm 
Editor Emeritus of SDCC

From IGN:

The Dark Knight of Treks?

Team Abrams takes a page from Nolan's playbook.

August 26, 2010

by Phil Pirrello

Fans eager for a sequel to J.J. Abrams' Star Trek are all but convinced that Khan will be the big bad in the new movie. So does recent talk about Trek 2 going The Dark Knight route mean we'll get to see Kirk vs. the product of late 20th-Century genetic engineering?

Well, not exactly, because Team Abrams is Fort Knox when it comes to plot details. But E! Online recently cornered Trek 2 co-writer and producer Damon Lindelof and convinced the former Lost showrunner to talk a bit about the sequel's TDK-inspired approach:

"We're looking at a movie like The Dark Knight, which went one step beyond Batman Begins," Lindelof said. "...We don't want to abandon all the things that made [2009's Star Trek] work and have it be fun and emotional, but we also really want the movie to thematically resonate."

Previously, executive producer Bryan Burk also compared the take on the sequel to that which Christopher Nolan employed in his very successful Batman franchise.

"Our aspirations are for [Trek 2] to be even bigger and better than the first one. I don't mean that just in scope, I mean content and characters and emotionally." Burk continues: "We had a lot of conversations about Batman Begins and how that movie kind of re-invented that franchise, and we looked at what The Dark Knight did and how that really ramped it up...So we have strong ideas of what we want to do and we are hoping that this one is an even bigger film than the last one."

Dark Knight raised the stakes by introducing Joker to challenge and forever alter Batman's world. If we read between the lines here, it's safe to assume that all the extra top-secret talk surrounding Trek 2 is because the filmmakers hope Khan will do for them what Joker did for Nolan.

We'll see what's in store for the Final Frontier's next chapter when it arrives in theatres June 29, 2012.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 12:49 pm 
Editor Emeritus of SDCC

A New Star Trek Sequel Character Revealed?

October 25, 2010

The sequel to J.J. Abrams' Star Trek will start filming next year for a June 29, 2012 release, but meetings have already started for the project. In an article at The New York Times talking about how the iPad is being used in Hollywood, it reveals a specific character that was discussed during one of these meetings:

Last month at a meeting in Hollywood, it was time to plot out the sequel to "Star Trek," last year's blockbuster reboot of the sci-fi franchise.

The attendees all brought smartphones — gadgets far more powerful than the videophones imagined by the "Star Trek" writers 40 years ago. Bob Orci brought something the writers back then could only dream of: an iPad.

Mr. Orci, meeting with the producers J. J. Abrams, Damon Lindelof and Bryan Burk, and his fellow writer Alex Kurtzman, jump-started the discussion with an iPad slide show, showing stills from the first film, snapshots of potential locations and a photo of a suggested actress for one of the roles. On the woman's photo, he had used his iPad to paint on a Vulcan ear.

Who do you think Orci suggested? And do you think it's a Vulcan character we've seen before or a new one?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 9:03 pm 
serves the Otter

Saaaaaaavik?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 5:43 am 
3 3/4"

Quinn wrote:
Saaaaaaavik?

Doubtful. She'd be too young for this era since she was only a cadet when Prime Timeline Kirk was twice the age of Abrams-verse Kirk.

There was speculation on TrekMovie that it could be someone like a Vulcan love interest for Spock to compete with Uhura and showcase Ponn Farr. T'Pring? I don't remember the name of the girl from Amok Time. It makes sense.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 6:37 am 
serves the Otter

UncleMarsellus wrote:
Quinn wrote:
Saaaaaaavik?

Doubtful. She'd be too young for this era since she was only a cadet when Prime Timeline Kirk was twice the age of Abrams-verse Kirk.

There was speculation on TrekMovie that it could be someone like a Vulcan love interest for Spock to compete with Uhura and showcase Ponn Farr. T'Pring? I don't remember the name of the girl from Amok Time. It makes sense.

I think T'Pring could be interesting, although with the new timelines and retconning, Saavik could still be in the works. Your/TrekMovie's T'Pring idea is much more interesting.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 10:45 am 
buzz word garbage hater

T'Pring vs. Uhura in the Amok Time arena for Spock's love gets my vote.

Da NA NA NA NA NA NA NANANA!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 11:24 am 
serves the Otter

hutchprime wrote:
T'Pring vs. Uhura in the Amok Time arena for Spock's love gets my vote.

Me too. Strategically ripped shirts and all.

Except that the arena was probably destroyed with the rest of Vulcan...I can see them going that direction though; as a survivor of Vulcan, it's Spock's duty to marry another Vulcan, but he loves Uhura... = conflict!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 92 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next