It is currently Mon Jul 28, 2014 8:36 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Warcraft
PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 9:09 pm 
Editor Emeritus of SDCC

Sam Raimi to Direct Warcraft Movie!

Source: comingsoon.net

July 22, 2009

Blizzard Entertainment, Inc. and Legendary Pictures announced today that Sam Raimi has signed on to direct the eagerly-anticipated major motion picture based on Blizzard Entertainment's award-winning Warcraft universe. Raimi has, in the course of his career, clearly demonstrated a genius for developing and adapting existing fictional universes for mainstream audiences while staying true to the spirit of the original content.

Raimi directed the "Spider-Man" trilogy, which has broken box-office records around the world and garnered five Academy Award nominations. Known for his imaginative filmmaking style, richly drawn characters and offbeat humor, Raimi wrote and directed the cult classic, The Evil Dead and produced 30 Days Of Night. He most recently wrote and directed the supernatural thriller, Drag Me To Hell.

"At its core, 'Warcraft' is a fantastic, action-packed story," said Raimi. "I am thrilled to work with such a dynamite production team to bring this project to the big screen."

Charles Roven's producing talents were recently seen with last summer’s blockbuster The Dark Knight, which grossed in excess of $1 billion, was nominated for eight Academy Awards and won two. His body of work also includes the widely acclaimed Batman Begins and the sci-fi classic 12 Monkeys. Roven, with Atlas producing partner Alex Gartner, will be producing with Legendary Pictures CEO Thomas Tull, Legendary's Chief Creative Officer Jon Jashni, Raimi and Raimi's producing partner Joshua Donen. Raimi's partner, Robert Tapert, will be an Executive Producer and Blizzard Entertainment's Senior Vice President of Creative Development, Chris Metzen, a Co-Producer.

"Partnering with Sam Raimi exemplifies Legendary's mandate of marrying the highest quality intellectual property to world-class filmmakers" said Legendary's Tull. "Sam's passion for 'Warcraft' is undeniable and we know that he will create an incredible film worthy of Blizzard's phenomenal franchise. We look forward to collaborating with our partners at Warner Bros. and continuing our successful relationship with Chuck in bringing this rich new world to the screen."

"Blizzard Entertainment and Legendary Pictures have a shared vision for this film and we searched at length to find the very best director to bring that vision to life," said Paul Sams, chief operating officer of Blizzard Entertainment. "From our first conversation with Sam, we could tell he was the perfect choice. Sam knows how to simultaneously satisfy the enthusiasts and the mainstream audience that might be experiencing that content for the first time. We're looking forward to working with him to achieve that here."

"Blizzard Entertainment's 'Warcraft' has become a second home for millions of players and Sam's experience and talent make him the perfect director for this remarkable and action-packed world," said Atlas' Roven. "Alex and I are proud to be working with Sam and re-teaming with our friends at Legendary and Warner Bros."

The film will fall under Legendary Pictures' co-production and co-financing deal with Warner Bros. "'Warcraft' is emblematic of the kind of branded, event films for which our studio is best known. We have enjoyed great success with our partners at Legendary, and this is an incredible opportunity for us to work with Sam on a project that is so eagerly anticipated by so many," said Jeff Robinov, President, Warner Bros. Pictures Group.

Blizzard Entertainment's "Warcraft" universe is a rich fantasy setting that revolves around the epic conflict between the opposing forces of the Horde and the Alliance. Since its debut in 1994, "Warcraft" has developed a loyal following across the globe, with several bestselling, award-winning PC games and a range of popular licensed products including novels, action figures, apparel, comic books, board games, and more. "World of Warcraft," Blizzard Entertainment's subscription-based massively multiplayer online role-playing game set in the Warcraft universe, is the most popular game of its kind in the world. Its most recent expansion, "Wrath of the Lich King," is the fastest-selling PC game of all time, with more than 2.8 million copies sold in its first 24 hours of availability and more than 4 million in its first month.

Further details about the upcoming Warcraft movie, including cast and targeted release date, will be revealed as development progresses.

Mike
( 8) )

Post subject: Re: Sam Raimi to Direct Warcraft Movie
PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2010 5:29 am 
Editor Emeritus of SDCC

From IGN:

Raimi Talks World of Warcraft

Director discusses passion for game-to-film adaptation, plus word on The Hobbit and Oz.

UK, June 25, 2010

by Chris Tilly IGN UK

Sam Raimi was quizzed about his forthcoming World of Warcraft adaptation at the Saturn Awards this week, and it sounds like it may very well be his next project.

The film is apparently still in the early stages of development, but Raimi says that studio Legendary Pictures is fully behind the project. "We're still working on the story right now," he told Collider while running the red-carpet gauntlet, "We've got a 40-page document that needs a lot more work, but every draft that we do with Robert Rodat gets better and better.

"We're finding the characters and through the characters we're finding the story. There's no real angle on it - we're trying to create interesting characters that can live in the World of Warcraft, as though you are in the game itself, in one, or two, or three of those environments, and see the interaction with those great mythical, iconic characters."

In case you were worried about a wrap-around story set in the real-world, no chance according to Raimi, with the entire film taking place within the World of Warcraft.

And it sounds like the man is genuinely passionate about the game, with Raimi explaining, "I love the visual world that the guys at Blizzard have created. Incredibly engrossing and terrifying and exciting. I like their use of scale and the giant monsters they have. I love the different landscapes that your character can move through.

"I love the first-person interaction you have with other players online. There are so many aspects about the game that I really enjoy like the battles and learning spells and performing spells and getting to the next level like everybody else."

It therefore seems that the filmmaker's proposed Wizard of Oz prequel Oz may not be as ready to go as we had previously thought. "I did read it," Raimi told Collider of the screenplay, "I loved the script - I think it's a great project and it's something I'd like to be involved with."

And finally, Raimi won't be directing The Hobbit, with the director stating, "I don't think that's what Peter Jackson's thinking."

So there you have it - Sam Raimi's next project may very well be WoW.

Post subject: Re: Sam Raimi to Direct Warcraft Movie
PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 4:01 pm 
Editor Emeritus of SDCC

From IGN:

Sam Raimi No Longer Involved With World of Warcraft Movie

Director says Oz made him move on from game movie.

by Jim Vejvoda

July 17, 2012

There was much fanfare a few years back when it was announced that Spider-Man director Sam Raimi was attached to direct a feature film version of Blizzard Entertainment's World of Warcraft. Raimi, a fan of the game, eventually went on to make Oz the Great and Powerful his next movie instead, so where does that leave Warcraft?

In a chat with Crave Online at last weekend's San Diego Comic-Con, Raimi revealed, “Actually, they don’t have me directing World of Warcraft anymore because when I took the Oz job, they had to move on to another director. ... They had to start making it.”

Post subject: Re: Warcraft Movie
PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 8:58 pm 
Editor Emeritus of SDCC

Charles Leavitt to Rewrite World of Warcraft

Source: ComingSoon

August 2, 2012

Legendary Pictures is moving forward with their World of Warcraft feature film, bringing aboard screenwriter Charles Leavitt to provide a rewrite. Variety has the news, saying that a search will soon be on for a new director, replacing the formerly attached Sam Raimi.

Blizzard Entertainment's "Warcraft" universe is a rich fantasy setting that revolves around the epic conflict between the opposing forces of the Horde and the Alliance. Since its debut in 1994, "Warcraft" has developed a loyal following across the globe, with several bestselling, award-winning PC games and a range of popular licensed products including novels, action figures, apparel, comic books, board games, and more. "World of Warcraft," Blizzard Entertainment's subscription-based massively multiplayer online role-playing game set in the Warcraft universe, is the most popular game of its kind in the world.

Leavitt is best known for films like K-Pax, Blood Diamond and the upcoming The Seventh Son.

There's no announced timeframe for the World of Warcraft film, but the trade notes that a 2014 release is possible if things get moving quickly.

Post subject: Re: World of Warcraft
PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 1:46 am 
Editor Emeritus of SDCC

Duncan Jones to Direct the Warcraft Movie!

by SuperHeroHype

January 30, 2013

Moon and Source Code helmer Duncan Jones will direct the Warcraft movie for Legendary Pictures (upcoming Man of Steel & Pacific Rim), according to The Hollywood Reporter. Sam Raimi was previously attached to direct the adaptation of the Blizzard Entertainment video game property.

The "Warcraft" universe is a rich fantasy setting that revolves around the epic conflict between the opposing forces of the Horde and the Alliance. Since its debut in 1994, "Warcraft" has developed a loyal following across the globe, with several bestselling, award-winning PC games and a range of popular licensed products including novels, action figures, apparel, comic books, board games, and more. "World of Warcraft," Blizzard Entertainment's subscription-based massively multiplayer online role-playing game set in the Warcraft universe, is the most popular game of its kind in the world.

Thomas Tull and Jon Jashni are producing for Legendary along with Blizzard and Atlas Entertainment's Charles Roven and Alex Gartner. Charles Leavitt wrote the script.

Legendary is eyeing a fall 2013 start for a 2015 release.

Post subject: Re: World of Warcraft
PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 12:29 am 
Editor Emeritus of SDCC

Colin Farrell and Paula Patton Eye Warcraft

by SuperHeroHype

September 22, 2013

Colin Farrell and Paula Patton are the first two names said to be up for roles in the upcoming video game adaptation, Warcraft, Deadline reports. Negotiations are now underway with the production targeted to begin in January 2014.

Farrell starred earlier this year in Dead Man Down and Epic. He can next be seen coming up in Saving Mr. Banks. Patton, meanwhile, recently appeared in 2 Guns and can be seen back on the big screen in next week's Baggage Claim.

Set to be directed by Duncan Jones, Warcraft has Thomas Tull and Jon Jashni producing for Legendary along with Blizzard and Atlas Entertainment's Charles Roven and Alex Gartner. Charles Leavitt wrote the script.

Post subject: Re: Warcraft
PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 5:48 pm 
Editor Emeritus of SDCC

Legendary Pictures' Warcraft to Hit Theaters December 18, 2015

by SuperHeroHype

October 01, 2013

Legendary Pictures’ Warcraft, based upon Blizzard Entertainment's globally-renowned universe, will be released by Universal Pictures on Friday, December 18, 2015.

Warcraft marks the first film dated under the recently formed partnership between Universal and Legendary.

The film, an epic adventure of world-colliding conflict, will be directed by Duncan Jones (Moon, Source Code) and is written by Charles Leavitt and Duncan Jones. The producers are Charles Roven and Alex Gartner for Atlas Entertainment and Thomas Tull and Jon Jashni for Legendary. Stuart Fenegan, Jillian Share and Brent O’Connor will serve as executive producers. Blizzard's Chris Metzen will co-produce.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 1:24 am 
Editor Emeritus of SDCC

Vikings Star Travis Fimmel Boards Warcraft

by SuperHeroHype

October 25, 2013

As previously reported, negotiations are underway for Paula Patton and Colin Farrell to join the cast of the upcoming Legendary Pictures video game adaptation, Warcraft. Now, Variety brings word that "Vikings" star Travis Fimmel is set to play one of the film's four leading roles.

The "Warcraft" universe is a rich fantasy setting that revolves around the epic conflict between the opposing forces of the Horde and the Alliance. Since its debut in 1994, "Warcraft" has developed a loyal following across the globe, with several bestselling, award-winning PC games and a range of popular licensed products including novels, action figures, apparel, comic books, board games, and more. "World of Warcraft," Blizzard Entertainment's subscription-based massively multiplayer online role-playing game set in the Warcraft universe, is the most popular game of its kind in the world.

Set to be directed by Duncan Jones, Warcraft has Thomas Tull and Jon Jashni producing for Legendary along with Blizzard and Atlas Entertainment's Charles Roven and Alex Gartner. Charles Leavitt wrote the script.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 10:26 pm 
Editor Emeritus of SDCC

Colin Farrell Talks Warcraft, Calls Script 'Amazing'

by SuperHeroHype

November 16, 2013

A few months ago, rumors for the casting of the upcoming Warcraft movie started popping up, and one of the first names attached was Colin Farrell. IGN caught up with the actor and asked about the project, and what its production status is.

"Don’t know what’s happening, man. I read the script, if that’s any use to you, and it’s amazing....Duncan was cool. I sat with Duncan for awhile and read the script, loved the script, and we was as cool as can be. I don’t know what’s happening with the film. I don’t know where they are in the process...It’s just a world that I never explored — and it’s a really big and fantastical world. I can’t imagine what he, being as visually gifted as he is, Duncan, and what he did on Moon with, like, a dime, I can’t imagine what he’d do with this Warcraft."

When asked what character he might be playing, Farrell replied:

"Can I? I probably shouldn’t. I don’t even know, actually, I’ll just say that! I don’t even know. We were just talking, and Duncan just said, “There might be something in it for you!” And I said, “Catering?” [Laughs]"

Farrell is just one of many names linked to the project, which is said to have four lead characters. Paula Patton and "Vikings" star Travis Fimmel are also rumored to be in negotiations for the film which will center on Anduin Lothar versus Durotan, Human and Orc heroes from the original real-time strategy games. The movie will also be focused largely in the Eastern Kingdoms of Azeroth.

Set to be directed by Duncan Jones, Warcraft has Thomas Tull and Jon Jashni producing for Legendary along with Blizzard and Atlas Entertainment's Charles Roven and Alex Gartner. Charles Leavitt wrote the script. Warcraft is currently set for release on December 18, 2015. The first set of concept art from the upcoming film was showcased at BlizzCon 2013. You can check it out by clicking here.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 1:20 am 
Editor Emeritus of SDCC

Legendary and Universal Set Warcraft and The Mummy for 2016

by SuperHeroHype

November 27, 2013

Moving out of the path of J.J. Abrams' Star Wars: Episode VII, Duncan Jones' Warcraft has given up its December 18, 2015 release date and has moved to March 11, 2016. Universal, which is distributing the Legendary film in 3D, has meanwhile announced an April 16, 2016 release for their The Mummy, which has Andres Muschietti attached to direct.

You can check out the full release date calendar by clicking here.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 1:08 am 
Editor Emeritus of SDCC

Full Warcraft Cast Includes Ben Foster, Paula Patton, Dominic Cooper and More!

by SuperHeroHype

December 04, 2013

Legendary Pictures and Universal Pictures have closed deals with Ben Foster (3:10 to Yuma), Travis Fimmel ("Vikings"), Paula Patton (Mission: Impossible - Ghost Protocol, Toby Kebbell (The Counselor), and Rob Kazinsky (Pacific Rim) and are in final stages of negotiation with Dominic Cooper (Captain America: The Winter Soldier) to star in Warcraft, based on Blizzard Entertainment’s award-winning Warcraft universe.

The script for the March 11, 2016 release was written by Charles Leavitt and rewritten by Duncan Jones. Production is set to begin as planned in Vancouver this January.

Charles Roven, Thomas Tull, Jon Jashni and Alex Gartner will produce. Stuart Fenegan, Jillian Share, Brent O’Connor and Blizzard’s Mike Morhaime and Paul Sams will serve as executive producers. Chris Metzen, Rob Pardo and Nick Carpenter from Blizzard will co-produce.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 3:21 pm 
Editor Emeritus of SDCC

Dominic Cooper Talks Warcraft

by SuperHeroHype

January 13, 2014

Starring opposite Samuel L. Jackson in this week's Reasonable Doubt, Dominic Cooper spoke today with CraveOnline, dropping a few bits of information about one of his major upcoming projects, Duncan Jones' Warcraft.

“There’s a very human story at the heart of it," Cooper says, "because there’s a few of us that are humans in it that are up against tribes and problematic issues that exist in the world that we exist in. It’s happening all over the world at the moment and you see it happening all over. People have savaged their own lands and their own environment and they’re having to find a new environment in which to move into through the hostility of others. If there’s something as poignant as that that we can relate to and that we see unfolding in everyday life, then it will make it a worthwhile story.”

Also set to star Ben Foster (3:10 to Yuma), Travis Fimmel ("Vikings"), Paula Patton (Mission: Impossible - Ghost Protocol, Toby Kebbell (The Counselor), and Rob Kazinsky (Pacific Rim), Warcraft is a Universal Pictures and Legendary Pictures production scripted by Charles Leavitt and rewritten by Duncan Jones. Slated to begin shooting this month in Vancouver, Warcraft will hit theaters on March 11, 2016.

Charles Roven, Thomas Tull, Jon Jashni and Alex Gartner are producing with Stuart Fenegan, Jillian Share, Brent O'Connor and Blizzard's Mike Morhaime and Paul Sams serving as executive producers. Chris Metzen, Rob Pardo and Nick Carpenter from Blizzard will co-produce.

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 10:54 am 
Editor Emeritus of SDCC

Producer Thomas Tull Talks Video Game Movies, Teases Warcraft Trailer for Comic-Con

SuperHeroHype

May 14, 2014

Video games haven't had an easy transition into the world of big screen feature films, but with a slate of them on the horizon from some talented filmmakers, it's possible that we could be seeing a turning point as far as their adaptation goes. Speaking with IGN, Legendary Pictures CEO Thomas Tull elaborated on why they decided to break into the video game-based movies with the upcoming Warcraft and that doing video game movies for the wrong reasons is what yields disastrous results.

"Doing a videogame movie has not really been done well, and I think part of the reason for that is it's been done for the wrong reasons. If you simply say 'How many people have played the game? How much money can we make?’'You're doomed. You're doomed right off the start….Bringing a filmmaker like Duncan [Jones] onboard to distill that and bring the incredible cast onboard that he was able to get… we hope that when you see the first trailer for it, you're going to say 'OK, this is not what I was expecting.' He's an incredibly exciting filmmaker."

Speaking of trailers, and even though we're just under two years away from the release of the film, Tull went on to tease that Legendary may have something to show from the film at their Hall H panel at this year's San Diego Comic-Con International.

"We show up every summer at Comic-Con – we really enjoy it, and the fans seem to enjoy taking a look at things, so I wouldn't be surprised."

Starring Ben Foster, Travis Fimmel, Paula Patton, Toby Kebbell, Rob Kazinsky, Dominic Cooper, Daniel Wu and Clancy Brown, Warcraft is written by Jones and Charles Leavitt. The producers include, in addition to Tull, Charles Roven and Alex Gartner for Atlas Entertainment and Jon Jashni for Legendary. Stuart Fenegan, Jillian Share and Brent O’Connor will serve as executive producers. Blizzard's Chris Metzen will co-produce.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 8:49 am 
Editor Emeritus of SDCC

Ben Foster Reveals His Warcraft Character

SuperHeroHype

Jun 02, 2014

Production has recently wrapped on Legendary Pictures and Universal's big screen adaptation of Blizzard's Warcraft series with Moon and Source Code director Duncan Jones at the helm, and even now we still don't know all that much about the film. Enter Ben Foster, an actor whom you might recognize as Angel from X-Men: The Last Stand and one of the stars of the film. Foster recently spoke with IGN about the adaptation and revealed who he will be playing, and longtime "Warcraft" fans will recognize the name.

"The character in Warcraft that I play is named Medivh. He's a mage, which is essentially a sorcerer. He came up in a time protecting an area, and the way he protected this area was through magic. As peace returned to this land he took a break. He hung up his staff, so to speak, or let his guns get dusty. We meet him as his friends are returning asking for his help in a battle."

Foster went on to talk about Jones' vision for the film and how it's not simply a video game becoming a movie.

"What's exciting about Duncan Jones' take on this video game is that it shows both sides of the war. It shows both sides of a conflict, which is exciting to me. It's not just a video game turned into a movie. It's asking, hopefully, an important question of, where do we limit our compassion for what we consider to be the bad guys?"

The subject of the special effects in the film also came up, which Foster has nothing but praise for, saying:

"The way that they're pushing motion-capture — I just saw some of the test footage — it's unlike anything I've ever seen. It's performance-capture. It pushes it to the next level. It's going to be one helluva 3D event."

Also starring Travis Fimmel, Paula Patton, Toby Kebbell, Rob Kazinsky, Dominic Cooper, Daniel Wu and Clancy Brown, Warcraft is written by Jones and Charles Leavitt. It's scheduled to hit theaters on March 11, 2016.