Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Thu Nov 27, 2014 7:08 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: American Pie 4/American Reunion
PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 2:00 pm 
An Insider

Break out the webcams and apple pie: The antics of Chuck, Stifler and the rest of the "American Pie" crew could be coming back to theaters.

Universal, which made and distributed the pop-phenomenon original, is developing a new version with an eye toward resetting the property as a theatrical franchise.

The studio is poised to bring on "Harold and Kumar Go to White Castle" writers Jon Hurwitz and Hayden Schlossberg to script a new take on the franchise, which is being described in the development community as "American Pie 4." The movie would come on the heels of the third theatrical movie in the franchise, "American Wedding," which came out in 2003, and a slew of lucrative DVD titles that followed.

The original "American Pie" was released in 1999 and became a cultural and commercial phenomenon, grossing more than $200 million worldwide and spawning a booming market for R-rated summer comedies. "American Pie 2" and "American Wedding" followed at two-year intervals.

A host of direct-to-DVD titles then followed "Wedding" under the banner of "American Pie Presents," including "Band Camp," "The Naked Mile," "Beta House" and, this past December, "The Book of Love." But the studio, sources say, hopes that the franchise could be ripe for a new theatrical run.Universal declined comment on the new project.

At least some of the original cast is interested in coming back for the new picture, though sources emphasized that development is early and there are no actor deals in place.

Seann William Scott, Jason Biggs, Shannon Elizabeth and Alyson Hannigan were among the young comedic actors who got their break in the first film, which explored a group of high school seniors trying to lose their virginity before they left their adolescence behind.

How the characters would be worked into a new script remains a question; many, after all, are now in their late 20s and early 30s, and the original picture was set in high school. Writers would also need to contend with a world in which the novelty of the raunchy comedy, which was a relatively new form more than a decade ago, may have worn off with the success of movies like "The Hangover" and a spate of Judd Apatow films.

But the studio is clearly hoping that the awareness and fondness for the comedy brand could help support a new installment. Franchise reboots have become the latest vogue in Hollywood, even and especially for properties that haven't been away that long: Sony is rebooting "Spider-Man" just a few years after the webbed one last appeared on the big screen.

-- Credit Goes to S.Z.

Post subject: Re: A new 'American Pie' goes into the (theatrical) oven
PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 1:29 pm 
We're going streaking!

Why not just create a new franchise with a new name?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 2:36 am 
Collector Inspector

I wonder how much this new movie will admit to the existence of all the dtvs .
Although, I have always thought a movie where Seann William Scott came back and led the Stiflers from the dtvs on some kind of wild adventure would be a good movie.
See how he would deal with the Erik Stifler from The Naked Mile.

There were strong rumors that Universal was seriously thinking of releasing Band Camp in theaters.

Gotta give props to Eugene Levy for being in every single one of them though. Gave some continuity to all of them. (But of coarse that might be due to him doing absolutely nothing else of note.)

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 4:40 pm 
Editor Emeritus of SDCC

Seann William Scott Has Had Talks on American Pie Relaunch

Source:comingsoon.net

February 21, 2010

Last week, the L.A Times reported that Universal Studios is planning on relaunching the "American Pie" comedy series back into a theatrical franchise following its successful run of straight-to-video titles.

When ComingSoon.net had a chance to talk to actor Seann Willam Scott for his upcoming police comedy Cop Out, directed by Kevin Smith, we asked him whether there's a place for his foul-mouthed womanizer Stiffler, who many felt was the core of the "American Pie" movies to return. We were surprised to learn that he's already been in touch with those shepherding it.

"I've been talking to them about it and there's a possibility," he told us. "We came up with an awesome idea and I'm kind of at the point where I'm already known as that character forever anyways. As much as I want to do a part like Christoph Waltz in 'Inglourious Basterds,' I did 'American Pie' three times and then versions of that in ten other movies. If it makes sense and if it makes people laugh than maybe."

On top of that, Scott also told us that Kevin Smith has asked him to play the main role in his upcoming hockey movie Hit Somebody, based on the Warren Zevon hockey song of the same name. That song was co-written by Mitch Alborn who also wrote the screenplay with Smith, and it's about a hockey player who gets into the other hockey leaugue of the '70s, the WHA (World Hockey Association), based on his fighting skills rather than his hockey skills.

"He's doing it for me, he's going to ask me to play the character. We've talked about it," Scott confirmed. "I grew up playing hockey, which is good because the character's not supposed to be a great player, he's a great fighter, so it's a really amazing film. He's writing it right now and he asked me about a month ago to do it and I'm like 'for sure.' I can skate okay, I'll definitely have to practice… but I can fight."

A little later, Smith told us a little more about the movie, reiterating that counter to popular belief, it won't be his version of the '70s hockey comedy Slapshot:

"I'm going for the 'Forest Gump' of sports movies, but not in terms of the visual effects, but it takes place through many different eras," Smith told us while trying to describe the movie which has yet to find a studio to back it. "It starts in the '50s and ends in the '80s, and primarily it's a big Valentine to the game of hockey, and an even bigger Valentine to Canada. The whole movie is about the game and the land and how they're one and how only Canada can produce a hockey player. I've been a 'Canadaphile' for years now, and in terms of influence, it helps to have the writings of Stephen Brunt, the guy who wrote "Gretzky's Tears" and "Search for Bobby Orr," stuff like that completely helps fill in the gaps for me not actually being Canadian."

"There's a lot of fighting, but shooting something that's visually interesting," he continued, talking passionately about the sport he's clearly loved since featuring it in his first movie "Clerks." "Here's the problem with hockey in this country. In terms of visually on TV, it's not nearly as fascinating as it is in person. It's the best sport to watch live, but TV doesn't capture it the way TV can capture football, so the idea in making a hockey movie is make it as visceral as possible, so to do that, you'd have to up the action ante, and I think 'Cop Out' was a way to start that."

Look for more with Smith before Cop Out opens on February 26.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2010 5:51 am 
Editor Emeritus of SDCC

Harold & Kumar Creators Directing American Pie 4

Source: comingsoon.net

April 1, 2010

"Harold & Kumar" creators Jon Hurwitz and Hayden Schlossberg have come on board to direct Universal's American Pie 4, reports Risky Business.

Hurwitz and Schlossberg are currently writing the fourth "American Pie" movie, which would reunite the cast of the original films, though no deals have been made.

This means that the duo won't be directing A Very Harold & Kumar Christmas, the third installment in the series. That job instead will go to newcomer Todd Strauss Schulson. Hurwitz and Schlossberg did write the script.

John Cho and Kal Penn are both signed to reprise their roles and production company Mandate is eyeing a summer start.

Post subject: Re: American Pie 4
PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 5:49 pm 
Editor Emeritus of SDCC

An Update on the Planned American Pie 4

Source: comingsoon.net

December 1, 2010

ComingSoon.net had a chance to talk with the always-ebullient producer Craig Perry earlier today to find out the status of the planned American Pie 4, which is being written and directed by Jon Hurwitz and Hayden Schlossberg (Harold & Kumar Go to White Castle and its sequel), and he gave us an update of the project that's neither a reboot or a remake, but an actual sequel to the hit R-rated comedy trilogy that came out between 1999 and 2003.

"Like anything, if they're going to go back to it, they want to get it right," he told us. "Hurwitz and Schlossberg, the guys who did 'Harold & Kumar' are going to direct and I'm hoping to have something to look at it in the New Year. We'll see when that fits in. As you can imagine, a lot of it has to do with scheduling of the actors because they're all busy. Alyson (Hannigan's) got the show and the baby, so she's got plenty on her plate, so there's a lot of people who have a lot of things to do, and I think if we get a script--which I think we will--that everybody is excited about it, and then it's going to be about the schedule, because it's going to be really hard to get that gang back together. Because I think that's one of the things - we want to get everybody back together then you've got to do it right."

And when asked exactly who they may bring them back, being that many of the cast from the original movie weren't in the third movie, American Wedding, Perry responded, "I think that's part of the debate. For me, it makes sense to bring everybody back, because at a certain point, if you start winding it down, it isn't what it's meant to be, and I feel like those characters have become part of the cultural lexicon, you kind of know who they are, and I think there's an interest in seeing where they are, because they haven't been on screen for seven years. I think people will say, 'I wonder what happened to...' and I think that's a very effective way to back into this movie is having people wonder what did happen to those guys and what did happen to those girls, and I think that's part of the interest of it, because you know they're funny characters, you know they're likeable characters, but where are they now?"

"I think everybody here grew up with those movies in their own special way, so why not see if we can tap into that?" he said when asked about whether the movie is geared more towards the movie's older fans or if it will try to interest the current 15 – 20 demographic who may have been too young the first time around. "I think if the humor is such--which all of them can be consistent--the younger audience will at least understand that or understand why it's funny and go for it."

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 8:01 pm 
Editor Emeritus of SDCC

Casting Call for American Reunion

Source: ComingSoon

May 18, 2011

Universal Pictures is casting the role of "Kara" in American Reunion and has sent out this casting call:

STAR IN ONE OF THE MOST SUCCESSFUL MOVIE FRANCHISES OF ALL TIME!

We are seeking an actress to play 18-20 for the co-starring role of "Kara" in the new Universal Pictures film AMERICAN REUNION.

Kara is the sweet girl next door you used to babysit... now she's a senior in high school and a full blown hottie. We are looking for someone funny, smart and beautiful to be a part of this next installment of the American Pie franchise.

This film will be shot in Atlanta, GA and have a THEATRICAL release.

Please note upper frontal nudity is required.

TO BE CONSIDERED, YOU MUST SUBMIT A SELF-TAPED AUDITION USING THE SCENE PROVIDED.

ALL SUBMISSIONS MUST BE SENT BY MAY 24TH!!!!!!!!

To submit yourself for the role, visit ActorCast.com/AmericanReunion.

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 8:32 pm 
Editor Emeritus of SDCC

From IGN:

What's American Reunion About?

Official plot synopsis and release date for the next piece of Pie.

May 23, 2011

Universal has released the official plot synopsis for American Reunion, the fourth big screen installment in their American Pie franchise, which they have now slated for an April 6, 2012 release:

"In the comedy American Reunion, all the American Pie characters we met a little more than a decade ago are returning to East Great Falls for their high-school reunion. In one long-overdue weekend, they will discover what has changed, who hasn't and that time and distance can't break the bonds of friendship.

It was summer 1999 when four small-town Michigan boys began a quest to lose their virginity. In the years that have passed, Jim and Michelle married while Kevin and Vicky said goodbye. Oz and Heather grew apart, but Finch still longs for Stifler's mom. Now these lifelong friends have come home as adults to reminisce about—and get inspired by—the hormonal teens who launched a comedy legend."

The film stars Jason Biggs, Alyson Hannigan, Chris Klein, Thomas Ian Nicholas, Tara Reid, Seann William Scott, Mena Suvari, Eddie Kaye Thomas, Jennifer Coolidge and Eugene Levy. Jon Hurwitz & Hayden Schlossberg scripted and will direct.

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 10:56 am 
HEY! New guy! GET HIM!

I agree with TRDouble. They should create a new sequel with another title. :roll:

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 11:46 am 
willing to display nerd-rage meltdown for custom subnic

American Pie has always been a guilty pleasure of mine. Juvenile? Yes. Sophomoric? Absolutely. But funny as all hell. I'll be looking out for this one.

I don't fail, I just succeed at finding ways that don't work.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 7:35 pm 
Editor Emeritus of SDCC

Katrina Bowden Joins American Reunion

May 25, 2011

Katrina Bowden, best known for her role as Cerie on "30 Rock," has joined the cast of Universal Pictures American Reunion, Variety reports.

The film will reunite the cast of Jason Biggs, Seann William Scott, Alyson Hannigan, Eugene Levy, Thomas Ian Nicholas, Tara Reid, Chris Klein, Mena Suvari and Jennifer Coolidge and is targeting an April 6, 2012 release.

Bowden is said to play a "party girl" girlfriend to Klein's character.

The production, which recently held an open casting call for a role requiring "upper frontal nudity," is about to begin production in Atlanta, Georgia.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 7:51 pm 
Editor Emeritus of SDCC

Shannon Elizabeth Signs for American Reunion

May 27, 2011

Deadline has just announced that Shannon Elizabeth will be returning for Universal's American Reunion, which just started filming down in Atlanta, which means that the entire original cast of the Weitz Brothers' hit R-rated comedy American Pie is complete, as she joins Jason Biggs, Seann William Scott, Alyson Hannigan, Thomas Ian Nicholas, Chris Klein, Eugene Levy, Tara Reid, Eddie Kaye Thomas, Jennifer Coolidge and Mena Suvari.

The original three movies grossed over $750 million worldwide and the new film, directed by Jon Hurwitz and Hayden Schlossberg of the "Harold & Kumar" movies, brings the characters back together for their high school reunion.

Elizabeth played Czech foreign exchange student Nadia in the original movie, having quite a deep impact on Jason Biggs' Jim as she offers to take his virginity which leads to one of many embarrassing moments in his young sex life. Since Jim has been married to Alyson Hannigan's Michelle since 2003's American Wedding, we have to assume he's had better luck since then, so who knows what Nadia's return might mean for him.

American Reunion is scheduled for release on April 6, 2012

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 8:04 pm 
Editor Emeritus of SDCC

Dania Ramirez Heads to American Reunion

May 31, 2011

Dania Ramirez, best known for her role as Maya Herrera on "Heroes," has joined the cast of Universal Pictures' American Reunion, Variety reports.

The film will reunite the cast of Jason Biggs, Seann William Scott, Alyson Hannigan, Eugene Levy, Thomas Ian Nicholas, Tara Reid, Chris Klein, Eddie Kaye Thomas, Mena Suvari, Jennifer Coolidge and Shannon Elizabeth with new roles for Ramirez and Katrina Bowden.

Ramirez will play Trisha, the romantic interest to Eddie Kaye Thomas' Finch.

The production, which recently held an open casting call for a role requiring "upper frontal nudity," is about to begin production in Atlanta, Georgia and is targeting an April 6, 2012 release.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 8:19 pm 
Editor Emeritus of SDCC

American Reunion Plot Details Emerge

June 1, 2011

With production now underway on the fourth theatrical American Pie film, American Reunion, EW had a chance to speak with one of the series' most familiar faces. Alyson Hannigan, who reprises her role as Michelle, dropped a few details about the upcoming sequel.

"We'll, we're still married," says Hannigan of her character's relationship with Jason Bigg's Jim Levenstein, "and we have a child. So we're navigating the waters of parenthood and how that changes the dynamics of a relationship. But also they're going back to their high school reunion and so there's some nostalgia there of, 'Aw, remember what we were like when we first met?' That kind of stuff. It's really nice. I really love that relationship and they've stayed true to it. The great thing about this franchise is that, of course, there's the raunchy humor but here's also a lot of heart to it. And this fourth movie does not miss the boat on that at all."

Hannigan also promises that there will definitely be a callback to the original film's Band Camp gag.

"There will be some," she laughs, "Uh… Yes, you know, it's a reunion... You will see the old band room at least."

The film will reunite the rest of the cast, including Seann William Scott, Eugene Levy, Thomas Ian Nicholas, Tara Reid, Chris Klein, Eddie Kaye Thomas, Mena Suvari, Jennifer Coolidge and Shannon Elizabeth with new roles for Dania Ramirez and Katrina Bowden.

American Reunion is scheduled for release on April 6, 2012

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 7:20 pm 
Editor Emeritus of SDCC

The Boys of American Pie 10 Years Later

June 14, 2011

Thomas Ian Nicholas tweeted this photo from the set of American Reunion, saying "Remember the pact? Here we are over 10yrs later. Crazy."

He is joined in the April 6, 2012 release by Jason Biggs, Seann William Scott, Alyson Hannigan, Eugene Levy, Tara Reid, Chris Klein, Mena Suvari, Jennifer Coolidge, Katrina Bowden, Shannon Elizabeth, Dania Ramirez and Chuck Hittinger.

Written and directed by Jon Hurwitz and Hayden Schlossberg, the film centers on Jim and Michelle Levenstein, who are still married, have a child and are navigating the waters of parenthood as they prepare to attend their high school reunion.