Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Sun Nov 23, 2014 8:07 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Re: Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter
PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 2:37 am 
Editor Emeritus of SDCC

It's Just Talk: Who Might Be Abraham Lincoln?

Source: shocktillyoudrop.com

December 16, 2010

News lately has been fixated on "who is circling a film" rather than "who has been CAST in a film," so for stories like this, we're kicking off "It's Just Talk." Because it's interesting to see the potential players who might be circling a film, but until their deal is legit, it's all just talk or speculation.

So, we come to Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter which is now nearing a start date with Timur Bekmambetov.

The Wrap is saying that Eric Bana of The Hulk is circling the role as Lincoln. But our Fox reps say that all that's happening right now is that Bekmambetov is going to meet with the actor.

I always figured that there were two great actors living today that could play Lincoln: Liam Neeson and Daniel Day-Lewis. The latter was snatched up by Steven Spielberg for a Lincoln biopic, so that leaves Neeson available. Bana is...an interesting choice.

We'll see if he gets locked in.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 2:40 am 
Editor Emeritus of SDCC

Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter Has Found His Stomping Grounds

Source:shocktillyoudrop.com

December 16, 2010

Timur Bekmambetov is getting a jump on Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter.

The adaptation of the Seth Grahame-Smith novel is in pre-production as we speak and filming was expected to begin in March, however, Nola.com confirmed that production is kicking off January 24 in New Orleans.

A cast has not been revealed, but that news will probably arrive in the imminent future.

Bekmambetov is directing the film for producer Tim Burton. The story tells of the former President's secret history as a vampire slayer.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 7:07 pm 
Editor Emeritus of SDCC

A Few Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter Details Arise

Source: ShockTillYouDrop

January 6, 2011

Production on Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter is expected to be in full swing by the end of this month.

Timur Bekmambetov is directing for Fox and producer Tim Burton and has targeted New Orleans, Louisiana as the main area to shoot. The Daily Blam reports that a major warehouse in the area is being utilized to build White House sets as well as young Abe's home.

The site adds that Maryland and the Carolinas are other states that might welcome the production.

We're still waiting on casting news. So far, a few names have been bandied about, but nothing has been officially revealed.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 8:23 am 
Editor Emeritus of SDCC

Who's Vying for the Role of Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter?

Source: Deadline, Shock Till You Drop

January 13, 2011

When you envision an actor playing Abraham Lincoln, who do you immediately think of?

Is it Benjamin Walker, James D'Arcy, Adrien Brody, Oliver Jackson-Cohen, Josh Lucas, or Timothy Olyphant? If so, well, you should be a bossywog casting agent!

That's the short list of actors presenting vying for the role of Lincoln in Fox's adaptation of Seth Grahame-Smith's Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter. These guys are reportedly heading in for screen tests this week and next.

Director Timur Bekmambetov and producer Tim Burton start rolling cameras very soon. Expect some solid casting news shortly.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 4:31 am 
Editor Emeritus of SDCC

Walker to Play Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter

Source: Variety, ComingSoon

January 27, 2011

Benjamin Walker has landed the title role of Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter, to be directed by Timur Bekmambetov (Wanted).

Seth Grahame-Smith, who wrote the novel which inspired the film, also penned the script. Timur Bekmambetov will also co-produce with Tim Burton and Jim Lemley.

The story centers on the president's quest to rid the world of vampires, presented as the real conflict behind the Civil War.

Walker recently starred in "Bloody Bloody Andrew Jackson," both on- and off-Broadway.

20th Century Fox has scheduled the film, to be shot in 3D, for a release on June 22, 2012. Shooting starts in March.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 9:37 am 
Editor Emeritus of SDCC

From IGN:

Phoenix May Mentor Lincoln

Oscar nominee could replace Hardy in Vampire Hunter.

February 1, 2011

Joaquin Phoenix may end up mentoring Honest Abe in the art of vampire killin'.

Deadline reports that the Walk the Line and Signs actor is attempting to rebound from his failed mockumentary I'm Still Here by mulling the role of vampire Henry Sturges in Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter. The site points out that Phoenix is a choosy actor, so it's not a given that he'll accept the job.

Henry is a vampire who saves young Abe's life, nurses him back to health and then mentors him in the ways of the bloodsucking undead. Years later, the then-President Lincoln gives Sturges his secret diaries, which recounts his adventures as a vampire slayer.

Tom Hardy had previously been linked with the role, but he's got other films in the making, including his forthcoming turn as Bane in The Dark Knight Rises.

Benjamin Walker will play Lincoln. Timur Bekmambetov will direct with Tim Burton producing the horror-history mashup.

Fox has slated Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter for a June 22, 2012 release, with filming reportedly commencing this spring.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 8:03 pm 
Editor Emeritus of SDCC

Two Joining Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter?

Source: ComingSoon

February 10, 2011

Dominic Cooper looks likely to join the cast of the upcoming Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter in role of Henry, reports Variety. Meanwhile, Deadline is suggesting that Anthony Mackie is likely for the part of Will, best friend to Lincoln.

Cooper (who next appears as Howard Stark in Captain America: The First Avenger), is said to be in final negotiations for the part. In the novel, Henry is a "good" vampire and becomes mentor to a young Lincoln, schooling him in the ways of slaying the undead.

Mackie, meanwhile, is known for his role as Major William Bowman in Eagle Eye and will soon appear in The Adjustment Bureau.

Benjamins Walker was recently announced to star in the film as Lincoln. Set to be directed by Timur Bekmambetov (Wanted), Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter is scheduled for a June 22, 2012 release.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 5:55 pm 
Editor Emeritus of SDCC

Exclusive: Anthony Mackie on Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter

Source: ShockTillYouDrop

February 12, 2011

Just a few days ago, it was announced that Anthony Mackie of The Hurt Locker was signed on to Timur Bekmambetov's adaptation of Seth Grahame-Smith's Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter for 20th Century Fox. As luck would have it, Mackie was doing interviews for his role in George Nolfi's The Adjustment Bureau opposite Matt Damon, so we asked him about the casting rumors. It just so happens that we spoke to him on what would have been Abraham Lincoln's 202nd birthday… if he was a vampire himself, that is. Mackie told us the movie would be shooting in his birthplace of New Orleans starting in March and why the project interested him.

"The great thing about it and what I loved about the movie is the idea that it's the actual storyline," Mackie said. "They took Abraham Lincoln's biography, moment by moment, and put this sub-storyline of vampires in it, and I think that's kind of interesting. It kind of entices the next generation to look at history in way that's new and creative. I feel that if you watch this movie and you talk about it, you're talking about actual history, just with new plot points in it. That starts in like four or five weeks, we start shooting in New Orleans so I get to go home and work for three months."

Anyone who has seen Bekmambetov's Night Watch or Day Watch or Wanted will know that the Russian filmmaker absolutely loves to do some crazy action scenes, and we wondered if we might see any of that in a period piece that's meant to be historically accurate (other than the vampires, of course).

"That's why I'm so interested in doing the movie, not so much because of the vampires or Abraham Lincoln, it's the history aspect and I want to see just how far can he take it, because he's such an interesting guy and his style of directing and way of working is so interesting. It's unlike anything I've done in my career so far, so we'll see."

You can read the full interview with Mackie over on ComingSoon.net before Nolfi's The Adjustment Bureau opens nationwide on March 4.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 10:26 pm 
Editor Emeritus of SDCC

First Lady Found for Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter

Source: Latino Review, ComingSoon

February 14, 2011

Robin McLeavy is reportedly locked to star as Mary Todd in Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter.

Todd is Lincoln's love interest and, later, wife.

McLeavy, the first actress to join the production, will star alongside Benjamin Walker, Dominic Cooper and Anthony Mackie.

You'll also see McLeavy in the horror film The Loved Ones which arrives on U.S. soil later this year.

Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter opens June 22, 2012.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 7:07 pm 
Editor Emeritus of SDCC

Mary Elizabeth Winstead Joins Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Killer

February 17, 2011

Mary Elizabeth Winstead has signed on for Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter in the role of Mary Todd, according to a story at The Hollywood Reporter. This information contradicts earlier reports that Robin McLeavy was signed for the role.

Winstead, who most recently appeared in Scott Pilgrim vs. the World, will join Benjamin Walker as Lincoln, the man destined to become the United State's 16th President, who must also deal with quelling attacks from bloodthirsty undead.

Described by director Timur Bekmambetov as "a very entertaining, epic history lesson," Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter is also set to star Dominic Cooper and Anthony Mackie, aiming for a June 22, 2012 release.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 9:09 pm 
Editor Emeritus of SDCC

Jimmi Simpson Joins Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter

February 25, 2011

Jimmi Simpson, best known for appearances in films Date Night and Zodiac and television series "Party Down" and "It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia," has joined the cast of Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter, Variety is reporting.

Simpson will play the role of Lincoln's assistant, aiding the once and future President in his quest to quell the forces of the undead.

Described by director Timur Bekmambetov as "a very entertaining, epic history lesson," Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter is also set to star Benjamin Walker, Dominic Cooper, Anthony Mackie and Mary Elizabeth Winstead and is aiming for a June 22, 2012 release.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 5:25 pm 
Editor Emeritus of SDCC

Trent Reznor Up for Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter

March 3, 2011

Fresh from his recent Oscar win for scoring The Social Network, Nine Inch Nails and How to Destroy Angels frontman Trent Reznor appears likely to join Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter. Badass Digest has the scoop, claiming that Reznor will both score and act in the film.

The film is slated to star Benjamin Walker as Lincoln, the man destined to become the United State's 16th President, who must also deal with quelling attacks from bloodthirsty undead. Reznor is said to play the vampire responsible for the death of Lincoln's mother.

Described by director Timur Bekmambetov as "a very entertaining, epic history lesson," Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter is also set to star Dominic Cooper, Anthony Mackie, Mary Elizabeth Winstead and Jimmi Simpson and is aiming for a June 22, 2012 release.

Reznor is also expected to score David Fincher's next film, The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo, reteaming with musical collaborator Atticus Ross. There's no word yet if Ross is also involved with the Abraham Lincoln score.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 6:17 pm 
Editor Emeritus of SDCC

Trent Reznor Updates on Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter

March 7, 2011

Following last week's news that Trent Reznor is likely to both score and act in Timur Bekmambetov's Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter, comes word straight from the musician himself, posted at the NIN forum.

"[Timur] asked me if I was interested in scoring his new film he's doing with Tim Burton entitled 'Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter'," Reznor writes, "I was familiar with the book, read the script and it felt like an interesting challenge as a composer - very different from the Fincher films. While discussing the film with Timur he started gently pressing me to play a small role in the film. The idea was a cameo-esque role that would be kept under wraps and be a surprise around opening night. I was considering this when I awoke a few days ago to the news I am now STARRING in 'ALVH' (which is obviously not true). F--k. We both apparently forgot the internet existed AND THERE ARE NO SURPRISES anymore. So... do me a favor and act surprised, OK?"

So, while Reznor's involvement in the film as both composer and as an actor is now confirmed, fans shouldn't get their hopes up for a leading role from the recent Oscar-winner.

The film is slated to star Benjamin Walker as Lincoln, the man destined to become the United States'' 16th President, who must also deal with quelling attacks from bloodthirsty undead. Reznor is said to play the vampire responsible for the death of Lincoln's mother.

Described by Bekmambetov as "a very entertaining, epic history lesson," Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter is also set to star Dominic Cooper, Anthony Mackie, Mary Elizabeth Winstead and Jimmi Simpson and is aiming for a June 22, 2012 release.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 6:58 pm 
Editor Emeritus of SDCC

No Vampire Hunter for Reznor

Source:ShockTillYouDrop

March 10, 2011

Trent Reznor will not be getting involved in Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter after all. Once again, using the NIN message boards, as he had done here, Reznor says:

"Don’t believe everything you read. As it turns out, I WON’T be working on (acting or scoring) ALVH after all. There’s no juicy story here, it’s just that when the news mysteriously leaked out about my involvement I hadn’t made up my mind completely, because various aspects of the project were changing. I felt the need to say something earlier this week because my inbox was filling up with speculation, and at that moment I thought I would be doing it. Confused yet? Apparently I am. Bottom line, I wish them the best with the film and I’m sure it will still be great. Also, in all the excitement of the last note I forgot to mention we’re still fully engaged with the Year Zero mini-series, writing away."

Reznor was rumored to be playing a vampire in Lincoln; the bloosucker that kills Abe's mother. He was also slated to do the score.

So, a dose of bad news mixed with good news for those Nine Inch Nails fans out there.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 9:30 pm 
Editor Emeritus of SDCC

Licensing Teaser Art for Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter

Source: Shock Till You Drop

June 14, 2011

And even more artwork from the Las Vegas Licensing Expo, courtesy of the mighty Silas Lesnick - our man on the scene.

He's just sent over this teaser art for Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter, arriving June 22 from 20th Century Fox.

Timur Bekmambetov is directing the adaptation of the Seth Grahame-Smith novel. Benjamin Walker, Mary Elizabeth Winstead, Dominic Cooper and Adam Rockoff star. Follow this link into our database where you'll find a full synopsis and photo gallery.