Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Wed Nov 26, 2014 8:27 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Why does Hollywood keep giving Michael bay franchise movies?
PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 12:47 am 
my apartment smells of rich mahogany

I've read nothing but scathing reviews of the new ninja turtles movie, just to satisfy my morbid curiosity and I just don't understand the logic here. Everyone knows what he does. He's a one trick pony. Why does he keep getting to destroy existing franchises? Just let him make "Michael bay blows shingbling up with no story and Megan fox" every year or so and let people who care about the source material handle the franchises. He's like the cgi action version of Tyler perry. Having his name on ninja turtles did nothing but keep fans away. I don't really care about the ninja turtles, but even if I loved them, as soon as I found out Michael bay was involved, I would have immediately said no. Has anyone ever said, "man, I'm glad Michael bay is the one making transformers movies!"? Doubt it. You look at the marvel movies and stuff like sin city and then you look at bay's movies and whack snyder's movies and you gotta say, why do these dickholes CONTINUE to be allowed to wreck existing characters and stories? Give the stuff to people who could do something with them. I'm not a fan of much Kevin smith has done since dogma, but he would have made a better transformers movie than Michael bay. I'm not saying give the turtles to David lynch or anything, but why not find the right director for these things instead of just letting these dudes half ass stuff they like and make it awful. If I was in charge of the turtles franchise and Michael bay was all, turtles, now there's a project I'd like to sink my teeth into, I would say hell no. The turtles don't need Michael bay to make them relevant. They need someone who wants to make the turtles relevant again to make them work. It's like how Jason segal was the right guy to bring the muppets back. Imagine if bay or Snyder had tried that! I just don't get it.

Post subject: Re: Why does Hollywood keep giving Michael bay franchise mov
PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 1:10 am 
Loose, Missing Package

By contrast, the current director of Masters of the Universe attended the .org's party at SDCC and got a lot of fan input on what they wanted to see...

http://www.he-man.org/news_article.php?id=4248

...still doesn't mean that a good movie will come out of it (if it EVER manages to get before the cameras) but at least this guy has a clue...

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 1:24 am 

Wow, kudos to that guy for taking on that kind of task. That's like asking a room full of prince fans to create a 12 song greatest hits album. There really is so much to an motu movie you have to take into consideration. It's vast, it's self contained and it's ALL canon. You can make a superman movie without touching red son, but you can't, at this point, make a he man movie and ignore she ra. Makes you wonder if it's gonna be the main characters from the 1st series card backs with moss man thrown in or if it's going to try to go full tilt lord of the rings style double 9 hour trilogies from the snake men to the horde to he-ro to lizard man. But it sounds like whatever he's trying to do, it's not going to be Megan fox vs explosions.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 11:23 am 
3 3/4"

Because Michael Bay movies have grossed nearly $6 billion worldwide as a director, and over $6 billion as producer. Some of which overlapping with his directorial efforts. So he's probably around $8 or $9 billion total for all of his movies. That's our fault; not his.

It's business. That's all.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 1:57 pm 

I get that, but people would still go see transformers and ninja turtles movies whether Michael bay was involved or not. I, for one would go see them if he wasn't involved. Same with Snyder, although I did see watchmen and man of steel.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 5:39 pm 
serves the Otter

Do you know who I think could make a kick-butt Ninja Turtles movie? Ralph Bakshi. It could be gritty and animated and violent and just kid-friendly enough to stay away from the annoying sexism and racism Bakshi is famous for.

But what do I know? I'm the kind of person who think Return Of The Jedi should have been directed by David Lynch.

When truth is only a matter of opinion, advantage goes to the liars.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 6:20 am 
Damn you, Autocorrect!

$$$ is why.

It's certainly not for the content. :?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 6:56 am 
3 3/4"

shishalzafrazz wrote:
I get that, but people would still go see transformers and ninja turtles movies whether Michael bay was involved or not. I, for one would go see them if he wasn't involved. Same with Snyder, although I did see watchmen and man of steel.

I hate to give Michael Bay credit but I don't believe just because you have a perceived franchise with legs that people will go see it. There was serious doubt that Transformers would do business but that first movie had a charm and restraint, to go along with the spectacle, its unwatchable sequels didn't have and it turned into a hit. I've been to Botcon. It's not like it's a huge crowd there. The Transformers core fanbase is relatively small and much smaller than other franchises with movies that didn't have a lot of legs.

Nobody saw 'Batman and Robin' and the prevailing thought at that time was that a Batman movie was guaranteed cash. There were doubts about Batman Begins. Both Hulk movies were disappointments at the box office. And so on. You can screw these things up.

Just because a novel was a best seller, or a movie was popular, or a character has pop culture relevance, doesn't mean a movie will do great and people will go. So as much as I am not a fan of Michael Bay, I'll give him credit for seemingly making movies that have crossover appeal and do big business. Believe me, I don't get it but he's got it going on.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 7:14 am 

Ok. Fair enough.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 7:52 am 
Loose, Missing Package

Think of it this way, Shis, you can rest well being 99.9% sure that Marvel Studios, at the least, will never hire the man.