Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Wed Apr 23, 2014 8:17 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 984 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66  Next
 Post subject: Re: Young Justice TV Series Discussion Thread
PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 3:30 am 
Brand Manager

With 6 episodes left and allllllll the loose ends i have a feeling this show may end on a cliff hanger. I mean we still have nto seen the JLA in what feels like 10 episodes.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 7:39 pm 
5" Scale

smbmfglmmwwhg wrote:
I think you really overvalue this show. It's been nothing but a disjointed story from episode 1. We haven't solved anything since the show started and now it's ending. It's a fun show, I enjoy the characters, but the "journey" has been a frustrating and bumpy ride.

^This. Weisman always plans his shows as if they are going to last for twenty seasons and they all get canceled after two. Very seriously overrated writer who can't be the genius his fans claim he is if he STILL doesn't understand how the animation business works.

But then, I think The Spectacular Spider-Man is the most overrated superhero cartoon of all time. The only thing of Weisman's that I really enjoyed was Gargoyles and he's coasted on his success with that for years. He no longer deserves the benefit of the doubt.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 10:05 am 
Armored Avenger of Arduous Aspirations

What didn't you like about Spect. Spider-man? Just curious.

I'll admit that the art style was nothing special (although it animated well), but the story was excellent, especially as it showed Peter maturing as the high school years went by.

It was much better than Ultimate Spider-man, anyway.

My favorite animated version of Spider-man was the MTV show, which dealt with more mature situations (although the CG is showing it's age nowadays).

Trade Rating +55 and counting

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 11:39 am 
5" Scale

Shellhead wrote:
What didn't you like about Spect. Spider-man? Just curious.

Peter Parker was a truly unlikable butthole who was completely selfish towards his so-called friends. And the artificial soap opera drama nonsense was strung along for two seasons and could have easily been resolved by a five minute conversation between Peter and Gwen. THAT is bad writing. Add the pretentious Shakespeare episode and the ridiclous idea that The Cat Burglar killed Uncle Ben and you've got a whole lotta nuthin'.

Hey, I loved "The Gathering" on Gargoyles too. But Weisman has been coasting on that twist for his entire career and has yet to top it. Young Justice is better than SSM but I see no evidence that it is actually building towards anything but a cliffhanger ending. Prove me wrong, Weisman. Prove me wrong.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 12:11 pm 

If you don't like soap opera elements, then I understand better why you don't like Greg's work as much as I do.

It's those elements that make it stand apart from the typical animated series (and also explains why his work attracts a higher female demographic), but if you'd rather aim for the standard action/adventure fare, I can see it driving you nuts.

I didn't particularly care for the last episode because, except for
Spoiler: show
Blue Beetle being revealed to be under the control of the Reach
, it didn't really advance the story line sufficiently.

Not to mention that almost none of the Team was actually in it.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 6:07 pm 
5" Scale

I don't object to soap opera. I object to soap opera that spins its wheels and refuses to move the story forward due to bad writing. Joss Whedon knows how to do soap opera properly. Weisman doesn't.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 7:16 pm 

We'll have to agree to disagree.

:D

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 9:04 am 
Still ahead of Mudd

Fone Bone wrote:
I don't object to soap opera. I object to soap opera that spins its wheels and refuses to move the story forward due to bad writing. Joss Whedon knows how to do soap opera properly. Weisman doesn't.

AS much as I like whedon- his thing is always kill a popular character just because-- ( I understand the need for it- but it becomes a bit formulaic on every single show he does..)-- And although I enjoy Whedons writing- really who talks like that sometimes- a little too much speechifying...

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 3:36 pm 
5" Scale

stewbacca wrote:
Fone Bone wrote:

AS much as I like whedon- his thing is always kill a popular character just because-- ( I understand the need for it- but it becomes a bit formulaic on every single show he does..)-- And although I enjoy Whedons writing- really who talks like that sometimes- a little too much speechifying...

True enough. Whedon is NOT perfect (Buffy Seasons 8 and 9 prove this in spades) but I can always get behind the weekly teenage drama for the most part when he isn't senselessly killing off the cast. He is still a million times better than Weisman at soap opera. And the funny talk is one of Whedon's selling points. Sure, it's unrealistic, but I don't watch shows about Cheerleaders killing vampires for realism.

Post subject: Young Justice: Invasion "War" Review (Spoilers)
PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 4:52 pm 
5" Scale

Spoiler: show
Keith David was a great choice to play Mongul. But... don'cha kinda wish they saved him for Darkseid? How much acclaim would be sprinkled down on Weisman if he had done that?

I was shocked THAT was the moment Blue Beetle chose to betray the team. And the dude did it right too. First rule in stopping a superhero team: take out the telepath first. If there is no telepath (goodbye, Megan!) take out the speedster. I'm starting to think it was no coincidence that the writers set us up with a really cool and touching friendship between the potential villain and possibly the most out and out powerful person on the team with Superman gone. Say, what you will about Weisman, but there are VERY few accidents on his shows.

An ill wind blows, however. I feel a cliffhanger coming. I feel it in my bones.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 5:22 pm 
Far Too Concerned with his Post Count

Actually if I was running the production team, I would end the series on a major cliffhanger and resolve the whole thing in a direct to video movie...and eff the network. :twisted:

CCC.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 6:11 pm 
5" Scale

LordMudd wrote:
Actually if I was running the production team, I would end the series on a major cliffhanger and resolve the whole thing in a direct to video movie...and eff the network. :twisted:

CCC.

Exactly. Just like he did Gargoyles. Oh, wait. :?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 4:41 am 
Brand Manager

I liked this past weeks episode its about time the got things rolling ! But I feel the cliffhanger ending coming too! I must admit the whole Mal yelling WOMAN ! at Bumblebee was a little stupid. But the rest of the episode was awesome I mean its about time they showed the Justice League again its only been what a whole season without them ?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 10:53 am 

Solid, solid episode. The fecal matter has certainly hit the rotating blades.

Man, I'm going to miss this show. :(

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 1:28 pm 
Former King of Posts

every victory seems to be a step back. Having a hard time figuring out how they are going to solve this.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 984 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66  Next