Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Sat Dec 20, 2014 3:46 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 129 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next
 Post subject: Wonder Woman Live Action Televison Series
PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 3:14 pm 
Editor Emeritus of SDCC

Wonder Woman Headed to Television

by SuperHeroHype

Oct 1st, 2010

David E. Kelley will write and produce a new live action series

Wonder Woman is headed to the small screen as word breaks via Deadline that the Amazon Princess is being eyed for a television series from writer/producer David E. Kelley.

Kelley is best known for creating series like "Ally McBeal", "Chicago Hope" and, most recently, "Boston Legal". He has also drafted screenplays for films like Lake Placid and Mystery, Alaska.

A Wonder Woman series would presumably aim to fill the gap that will be left when the long-running "Smallville" goes off the air next year. If that Superman-inspired series is any indication, Kelley's Wonder Woman adaptation could take an unexpected angle to the story of DC's preeminent superheroine. It is unknown whether "Wonder Woman" would even be used as the show's title.

Long in development for a feature film, the best known adaptation of the character came in the form of a three-season live-action series in the 1970's, starring Lynda Carter as Wonder Woman and her alter ego, Diana Prince.

Should the series make it beyond the planning stages, Kelley's take on Wonder Woman wouldn't necessarily preclude the character from also appearing in a feature film as Superman Returns did with the unrelated "Smallville".

Post subject: Re: Wonder Woman Live Action Televison Series
PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 3:44 pm 
willing to display nerd-rage meltdown for custom subnic

PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE let this be true!!! I dare not tell my wife about this. Because if it doesn't happen, I think she may spontaneously combust. Or implode. Or both.

The question is, can it be done well?

I don't fail, I just succeed at finding ways that don't work.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 5:23 pm 
there were horses, and a man on fire, and I killed a guy with a trident

I hope this isn't another Smallville. I have no interest in having a show with a young Diana out of costume and that isn't always faithful to the comics with the characters. I also hope we get a lot of Wonder Woman's greatest villains on the show such as Cheetah, Circe, Ares and Felix Faust. Sure hope this actually goes through and becomes a series! This could be an amazing show if done right. :D

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 5:43 pm 

Thank you for saying what I was already thinking. Wonder Woman already doesn't have the huge following that Superman does. It would absolutely kill the show, if they drug it out for season after season, without seeing her in costume.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2010 3:20 am 
Far Too Concerned with his Post Count

From AOL.

David E. Kelley Bringing Wonder Woman to TV
By James Hibberd and Borys Kit | Friday, October 1, 2010, 4:52 PM

LOS ANGELES (Hollywood Reporter) — Wonder Woman is still heading to the screen, but instead of coming to a theater near you, the Amazon princess is returning to television.

Warner Bros. Television is developing a modern-day reboot of the classic DC comic book heroine and has lassoed an unlikely talent to potentially write and produce the superhero project: David E. Kelley, the showrunner behind legal dramas such as "Ally McBeal," "Boston Legal" and "The Practice."

The news comes after nearly a decade of attempts by Warner Bros. and producer Joel Silver to launch a big-screen version. Actresses ranging from Angelina Jolie to Beyonce Knowles to Megan Fox have thrown their hat in the ring for the starring role at one time or another.

Wonder Woman MADE Lynda Carter a big name, just like Superman made Chris Reeves a big name. It must be an unknown, otherwise it would be like casting John Wayne as Superman. Every movie he ever did was John Wayne does so and so. He never played anybody other than himself. (Don't get me wrong, I love his movies)

In 2005, Warner Bros. announced Joss Whedon would write and direct the film adaptation. But Whedon said he never ended up being able to finish the draft, and two years later left the project.

"They just didn't like my take," Whedon said at the time. "It's pretty simple." (He is back in the superhero world, though, prepping "The Avengers" for a winter shoot).

Hmmm, if it was so simple, why didn't you get it done in 2 years? It just seems to me that ANY superhero movie about a comic book character with this much history isn't about anybody's "take" on it, you have all of the material you need right there so it shouldn't take 2 months.

Any new "Wonder Woman" won't likely have an easy road to the small screen either.

:shock: Lets hurry up and kill it before it gets started! :roll:

Though the 1975-79 TV series starring Lynda Carter remains the most memorable version of the character in pop culture, major networks have struggled to make female-driven action series work beyond NBC's "Heroes."

NBC's "Bionic Woman," which also is best known for its 1970s TV version, could haunt attempts to get a series launch, and Fox's "Dollhouse" struggled during its two seasons on Fox.

and the most memorable episodes of The Flash had the Trickster in them, because Mark Hamill actually wore the costume. Does anybody still remember that god awful jumpsuit Cathy Lee Crosby wore? THAT costume designer should have been taken out and put out of our misery!

But if any place exists for a female-driven superhero series, it would be in TV land not film. While movies like "Daredevil" spin-off "Elektra," starring Jennifer Garner, bombed on the big screen, the small screen has been home to hits such as "Buffy the Vampire Slayer," a character which first failed as a movie, and "Alias," the spy series that starred Garner.

IT FAILED BECAUSE THE LEAD WAS A FEMALE, NOT BECAUSE IT WAS PATHETICALLY WRITTEN, POORLY DIRECTED, AND WAS ABOUT A COMIC BOOK CHARACTER WHO WAS NEVER DEPICTED IN HER COSTUME! Remember, this is hollywood, we never blame the people who are really responsible because we don't have any b :shock: :shock: :shock: s.

Warner Bros. had no comment.

Really?

CCC.

Museum Super Collector.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2010 1:35 pm 
Armored Avenger of Arduous Aspirations

I'm afraid that they'll probably go the Smallville route with this. They'll probably call it "Paradise" or something close to that. I wonder if the "modern" revamp in her own book had something to do with this?

I will give it a chance, but my gut says this'll be another Aquaman. They'll make a pretty decent pilot, but it won't get picked up.

Hope I'm wrong. :?

Trade Rating +55 and counting

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 6:46 am 
Editor Emeritus of SDCC

Wonder Woman Series Not Coming Soon?

by SuperHeroHype

Dec 8th, 2010

David E. Kelley talks about the potential project

Back in October, it was announced that "Wonder Woman" was heading back to TV in a series from writer/producer David E. Kelley. Now, however, Kelley tells Zap2it that it might be a while before it becomes a real project:

"There's no real deal in place yet, but yeah, my intent is to take a stab at it," Kelley said. "I've been working on it between scripts for 'Harry's Law.' It's a very, very different genre for me, a very tricky beast. I won't know whether I've cracked it or not until I've finished it, but it's going."

He added that "I haven't necessarily committed to doing it yet. I'm at the point where I'm trying to figure out if I can make the franchise work for me."

Still, it doesn't sound like it will be moving full speed ahead any time soon. "The only way I'm truly going to discover if ['Wonder Woman'] is right for me, and I'm right for it, is to roll my sleeves up and close the door and do some work. And that's a challenge, because it's kind of a busy time."

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 7:29 am 
Editor Emeritus of SDCC

Wonder Woman TV Show Not Moving Forward

by SuperHeroHype

Jan 8th, 2011

The cost cited as one possible factor

Entertainment Weekly reports that the David E. Kelley-scripted "Wonder Woman" series wasn't able to find a home, as all the major broadcasters have passed on the project:

Warner Bros. TV was actively shopping a script from David E. Kelley that updated the period tale about an Amazon princess who battled Nazis and other bad guys during World War II. One source close to the project said the Wonder Woman team won't give up on the project, even though it's "not moving forward at this time."

The magazine suggests that one of the deciding factors may have been the cost of the series, which the studio requiring a license fee for its superhero.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 7:38 am 
Wonderdog

SDcomics wrote:
The magazine suggests that one of the deciding factors may have been the cost of the series, which the studio requiring a license fee for its superhero.

So the holdup is that Warner Brothers doesn't want to PAY ITSELF the license fee? Isn't that, I don't know, kind of STUPID???

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 6:30 am 
Editor Emeritus of SDCC

Kelley Says the Wonder Woman Series is Coming

by SuperHeroHype

Jan 14th, 2011

It's a "real complex woman and not just a superhero"

Despite all the major broadcasters having passed on the show, David E. Kelley tells The Hollywood Reporter that he still thinks his vision for Wonder Woman will air down the road.

"I think the likelihood is we'll see it next year," he told The Hollywood Reporter. "I'm being optimistic but I don't think I'm being unrealistic."

Kelley noted that the script was "rolled out very late in the game" and said that he would bring the project back to NBC, which reportedly passed. The project reportedly failed to move forward there due to executive reshuffling.

He said that the network... would be a "good home for it" under incoming programming chief Robert Greenblatt.

"I like to think of it as a smart script and I know he responds to smart material," Kelley said Thursday of his vision in which Wonder Woman would be explored as a "real complex woman and not just a superhero."

Another option for the show could be cable.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 8:52 am 

It's not gonna happen is it? :( :cry:

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 7:34 am 
Editor Emeritus of SDCC

NBC Picks Up Wonder Woman After All

by SuperHeroHype

Jan 22nd, 2011

Coming to TV sets this fall

Entertainment Weekly is reporting that NBC has picked up David E. Kelley's new "Wonder Woman" pilot after all! The network was the final one to pass on the show over a week ago, but that was before the new regime headed by chairman Robert Greenblatt was officially in place in light of the impending Comcast takeover. The magazine reports:

One factor that seemed to have sunk the Wonder Woman project the first time around was the price of rebooting the series, with the studio requiring a rich license fee to bring the iconic character back to life. But then, NBC has been down this road before: It rebooted Bionic Woman. Kelley’s take incorporated the superhero’s signature lasso, cuffs, and plane in the script, and insiders said it was a serious, non-campy take on the DC Comics character.

Now the big question is who should play Wonder Woman?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 8:23 am 

Man, this thing is on and off like a light switch. As to who should play Diana Prince, I say it should be someone we haven't heard of before. Or at a bare minimum, someone who hasn't been overexposed by Hollywood. She's a freakin' Amazon, so she can't be some 5'5" wafer thin woman. But where oh where do you find a gorgeous, 5'10"-5'11", super-sexy, athletic, mid 20s to early 30s, woman with serious acting chops? Does that person even exist?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 8:30 am 
Far Too Concerned with his Post Count

SDcomics wrote:
NBC Picks Up Wonder Woman After All

Now the big question is who should play Wonder Woman?

Oh, like this has not been discussed to death already. I said it before and I'll say it again, IT MUST BE AN UNKNOWN!

The actress in Bones did an episode in a WW costume and she looked pretty good, but she doesn't have the rack to fill out the costume. Sandra Bullock wouldn't look bad either, but her hair is wrong and she has never changed her hair for any roll I have ever seen her do, too much primadonna there, but if you were doing it as a star vehicle like Keaton's Batman or Cage's Ghost Rider, she would be the one.

CCC.

Museum Super Collector.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 9:50 am 
Aspires to be #1

I don't think this will be the Wonder Woman we're all hoping to see. It sounds like she's going to have her
New costume and be more of a business tycoon as Diana.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 129 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next