Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Tue Sep 16, 2014 3:36 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 697 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 47  Next
 Post subject: Marvel's The Avengers
PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 9:57 pm 
Editor Emeritus of SDCC

From IGN:

Penn on Avengers

X3 screenwriter has high hopes for movie.

May 3, 2007 - Screenwriter Zak Penn has been involved in his fair share of comic book movies, from X2 and X3 to Elektra to next year's The Incredible Hulk. But the project he's most excited about is the planned Avengers film, which Penn is slated to write.

"To me, the thing I loved as a kid was the way [of] the Marvel universe," says Penn. "The thing that was inspiring to me, and I do think there's a correlative with Greek Mythology, was the way it was not just a comic book or a story, but it was a whole universe that existed. And as a kid you could imagine, 'Oh, all these superheroes are out there and they all live in this same world and when one of them needs help the other one goes to do it.' It was a whole universe that existed. And now that Marvel actually owns all these properties, one of the things that convinced me to come and be a part of The Hulk, and I'm supposed to write an Avengers movie actually, is the idea of helping them create a cinematic universe not unlike what they've done with Star Trek or the Star Wars movies to a lesser extent, where this is the universe that exists and you can tell stories in any part of that universe. Captain Picard can show up in a movie with Captain Kirk. Wouldn't it be great if you could get into that [with Marvel]?"

Penn, a comics fan himself of course, was particularly impressed by writer Mark Millar's The Ultimates, a sort of reboot of the classic Avengers team book that took place in the Ultimate Marvel universe and featured a more realistic and "cinematic" take on the team that traditionally features characters like Iron Man, Captain America, the Hulk, Thor, and others.

"When I picked up The Ultimates again, I was blown away," says Penn. "That was as sophisticated a comic book as I had ever read, and I found it incredibly inspiring and I would love to bring [to the film] some of the way that Millar made you believe, 'What would the world be like if these superheroes existed and could you tell real adult stories with them?' My goal is I hope Marvel gets to the point where you guys could see a movie where all these characters existed and there was a continuity."

And yet, don't quite hold your breath. Penn says that while he was assigned the task of writing the film version of The Avengers, he still has another project on his plate that he must tend to first. And besides, some have questioned the feasibility of a superhero team-up movie featuring mostly A-list characters -- though Penn is not one such person.

"I'm going to get to it," he says of the script. "If Iron Man and Hulk work, then why not? Why couldn't we do something where we combine all those people into one movie? … Expense, that never stopped anyone in Hollywood. Theoretically, I think that can work, but I think it's years down the line. These [other] movies have to come out first and then it will happen."

As for his preferred roster for an Avengers movie? Penn's not talking.

"Not sure yet," he says. "Can I get back to you on that one? Call me in a year and a half."

Mike
(Image Image Image Image Image Image)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2007 9:43 am 
proverbial old fart

Ya know I was kinda wondering about the Avengers movie related to the legal issues that tie the characters to certain movie companies (isn't Spiderman tied to Sony now?).

The Avengers wouldn't be the Avengers if Iron Man and some of Marvel's other big guns were not on the team. As a fan boy (an old fan boy, but a fan boy nonetheless) I would love an Avenger movie with some of the lesser known members, but for mainstream movie-goers, I think Thor and Iron Man and Captain America have to be in the movie. I suppose it depends on how you write the contracts...

And, then you have to worry about the movie turning into the JLA tv pilot (shudder).

Guess we'll just have to keep our fingers crossed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 10:30 pm 
Editor Emeritus of SDCC

Kevin Feige on Marvel Studios' Slate!

Source: superherohype.com

June 14, 2007

ComingSoon.net/Superhero Hype! talked to Marvel Studios' Kevin Feige on the set of Iron Man on Wednesday about the company's future slate. What's next for the company, which has both the Jon Favreau-directed project and The Incredible Hulk hitting theaters next year?

"I have a writer on 'Captain America' right now, hoping to get a director on that very soon to get that into the pipeline within the next year. Same thing with 'Thor,'" said Feige. "Mark Protosevich has delivered a 'Thor' script, David Self is writing 'Captain America.'"

Feige talked a bit more about Captain America: "We'll have to play with Captain America as being a patriotic propoganda machine on one hand but also being a very human Steve Rogers interesting fascinating hero in his own right." Is the script they're developing a period piece? "Right now what we're developing would be about half and half."

And what is the status of the Wolverine spinoff? "We have not signed a director yet, Fox has not signed a director yet... there's a lot of people in the mix. It's hard, I think it's very close. I think 'Wolverine' will be released first [before 'Magneto']."

He added that for The Punisher 2, "Lionsgate is putting that one together with us right now. I think they'll be announcing a director in the near future and another star in the near future. The only reason I have any interest in doing another 'Punisher' movie is to do a better 'Punisher' movie. And if Marvel felt we wouldn't be able to do that, we wouldn't make it. We have a director, we'd like to announce an actor and a director together."

What about a Ghost Rider 2, any plans? "Not that I've heard, I know they're promoting the DVD right now. But no discussions yet."

For the big screen Sub-Mariner adaptation, "Jonathan Mostow is doing a rewrite on [Self's] script with the intention to direct and that script should be coming in in a few weeks."

Feige said that an Avengers movie could be possible in the future. "What was preventing certain characters from crossing over in the past is they were all divvied up for different studios with gates between them and they couldn't play in the same sandbox. Now we have Hulk, and Thor and Captain and Iron Man and Ant Man... it would certainly indicate to me that it might be fun to see them all in the sandbox at one point. But certainly we're introducing them and building them in their own franchises first." Zak Penn will write the script for the film.

Any chance of a Marvel Zombies adaptation? "'Marvel Zombies' would be pretty cool," said Feige, who added that he'd also love to "put a 'Power Pack' script into development, I'd love to do a PG sort've 'Goonies'-style, those films I love as a kid in the '80s growing up. I'd love to do something like that with 'Power Pack."

After the Iron Man movie (stay tuned for lots more from the set!), the second one out of the gate for Marvel Studios' independently-produced slate is "Hulk." "'The Hulk' movie will be different from the first one 'cause this one will be good," said Feige. "There are certain elements of the first film that I'm proud of, there are other elements that I'm not. In looking to reboot and start the franchise fresh and new, we wanted to start with a clean slate."

While he says he loves the first film's cast, he's really excited about this one (Ed Norton, especially).

Mike
(Image)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 4:05 pm 
Editor Emeritus of SDCC

UPDATE: Avengers Movie Not Likely?

November 7, 2007

MTV talked to Marvel editor-in-chief Joe Quesada, who says that a movie based on The Avengers is not likely to happen:

While agreeing that a Marvel's Team-up movie would be exciting, Quesada was quick to add that the chances of that actually happening were pretty astronomical. And while he wouldn't shed any detailed insight into its feasibility, he did offer up his own dream roster for an Avengers big-budget flick.

The Avengers was still listed on the just-released updated slate for Marvel. Zak Penn was hired in 2006 by Marvel to write a script for the pic.

UPDATE: Looks like that is not what Joe Quesada meant to say. We just received the following from MTV: "Due to a misinterpretation, there was an error in our reporting for the Avengers story. Quesada was stating that the chances of a Marvel Team-Up movie were "pretty astronomical," not the chances of an "Avengers" film. We've since corrected the report. Our sincerest apologies."

Mike
(Image)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 8:07 pm 
An Insider

I wonder what his dream lineup was.....

-R

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 1:15 pm 
Editor Emeritus of SDCC

Favreau Interested in Directing Avengers

January 3, 2008

MTV has posted a new interview with Iron Man director Jon Favreau, who says he would be interested in helming an Avengers movie. The catch is that Marvel wants to wait until each character has their own movie first. The good news, however, is that they want to use the actors that are starring in the individual movies:

...Favreau insists that Marvel will only go ahead with the project if and when all the individual characters get their own story. It'll be worth the wait, Favreau claimed, calling this way not only more impressive and formidable – but more consistent as well.

"I wonder if the tone of 'The Incredible Hulk' is going to be similar or different than ['Iron Man']," Favreau questioned. "And 'Captain America' is a twinkle in Marvel's eye right now. And 'Thor' and 'Ant Man.'

"[But] in the case of Marvel they're pretty clear on wanting to do it with the actors who've established the roles or to not do it at all. That's what they've said to me," he continued.

Hit the link above for more on this.

Mike
(Image Image Image Image Image)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 6:54 am 
Editor Emeritus of SDCC

Marvel Studios Sets Four More Release Dates!

Source: Marvel Entertainment

May 5, 2008

Marvel Entertainment released their first quarter report to its shareholders this morning to coincide with the announcement about the success this past weekend of Marvel Studios' first production Iron Man, which grossed an estimated $104.2 million domestically and over $201 million worldwide. The announcement included an update of Marvel Studios' feature film slate with the already-rumored Iron Man 2 announced for a release on April 30, 2010, followed by three more movies for the summers of '10 and '11. Matthew Vaughn's Thor is set for a release on June 4, 2010, and The First Avenger: Captain America (the working title) will kick off the summer of 2011 on May 6, followed by the highly-anticipated and foreshadowed The Avengers scheduled for July 2011. (Edgar Wright's Ant-Man is also listed as being in development with no release date set.)

With that in mind, one can start expecting a lot more announcements in the coming months about creative teams and casting for those movies including who might direct the Captain America and Avengers movies. (Whomever plays Steve Rogers AKA Captain America presumably will be making two movies at once.)

Mike
(Image)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 10:44 am 
Editor Emeritus of SDCC

Paul Bettany on Voicing Iron Man's Jarvis

May 16, 2008

You may have to be end-credit crazy, a full-fledged IMDb fanatic or have a really good ear for voices to recognize the clipped British tones of Tony Stark's high-tech valet Jarvis in Iron Man as belonging to actor Paul Bettany.

On a set visit to his latest film Legion, Bettany told Superhero Hype! that while he did indeed provide vocals for Jarvis – upgraded into a fully integrated artificial intelligence in Stark's home and armor from the traditional English butler who's tended to Stark and the Avengers in the pages of the comics for decades – the actor had only the vaguest notion of who and what he was playing.

"I didn't know I was in a superhero movie," Bettany confessed, who owed his turn to a previous acting experience with Iron Man director Jon Favreau in 2004's Wimbledon. "I made a movie with Jon Favreau before and he rung me up and said, 'Paul...'" [laughs]. He rung me up and was really funny on the phone. I said, 'Yeah, alright.' I genuinely didn't know. I'm really naive, but it's the f**king truth."

"I really didn't know what I was going in for because it was two hours in a recording booth," Bettany explained. "I went in and recorded with Jon Favreau, doing all the lines, recording them and went home and now I'm a f**king hero to my children. I haven't even seen it yet. I haven't had time because I've been working for 17 hours [a day]."

Bettany played it coy when asked he was booked for a return appearance in either the announced Iron Man 2 or its expected tie-in, The Avengers. "It just made a ton of money – I would imagine so," he chuckled. "I mean, I don't know, but I'm guessing with the way the world works: they make a ton of money from a movie and then they make another one."

Mike
(Image Image Image)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 6:58 pm 
Editor Emeritus of SDCC

New Thor Character Rumor

January 4, 2009

How exactly does Marvel's God of Thunder Thor come to earth in preparation for The Avengers? IESB.net might have the answer. The site says:

A reliable source tells the IESB that the character of Donald Blake has been added to the end of the script. Let me reiterate that he wasn't there before, the script was set entirely in the land of the Norse Gods.

The introduction of the character is essential to how Marvel will tie Thor into the Avengers that is set in contemporary Tony Stark/Hulk timeframe. It explains how the actual Thor film will be set in the ancient time of the Norse Gods and how they will subsequently bring the character into a modern time with Donald Blake discovering the magical Norse hammer Mjolnir and turning into Thor.

The site adds that Thor director Kenneth Branagh will have an acting part in the film as well.

Thor is coming to theaters on July 16, 2010 and The Avengers a year later on July 15, 2011.

Mike
(Image)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 8:00 pm 
5th Horseman

Oh my God this is going to be amazing!!! Pulling this off with all the individual character movies and then combining them into a HUGE movie is going to be one of the most epic feats in cinema history!

-J

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 7:13 pm 
Grickle Grass Grower

Rhodey has been recast, Norton seems to be out, Theroux (IM2) and the screenwriters of Captain America and Thor say they don't talk to each other about plots or the nature of this world they share, and now Sam Jackson says that negotiations have broken down. I think the Marvel Movie Golden Age will end at 2 (maybe 3 if IM2 maintains the quality of the first) movies.

Emily Blunt is also apparently being considered for Black Widow--not the worst they could do, but not great (especially with all the other troubling reports). IMHO Milla Jovovich was born to do it (though if Marvel cannot afford Jackson, they probably couldn't afford her either)

I wonder if the Financial Crisis (hehe DC should make a mini) has affected Marvel Entertainment? They took out a half BILLION dollar loan from Merrill Lynch (now also in trouble).

I hope for the best...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 8:54 am 
Editor Emeritus of SDCC

Penn Talks Avengers

'We all have the best intentions, and it still might suck.'

by Orlando Parfitt, IGN UK

UK, June 25, 2009 - Screenwriter Zak Penn has been talking about his difficulties in piecing together Marvel's Avengers movie, revealing that he's going to sit down and write the first draft of the script this summer.

Speaking on a panel at last week's Los Angeles film festival (as reported by SCI FI Wire), Penn said he was taking a meeting soon with producers from the Thor and Captain America movies. "We are all going to get together, and I will see what is going to happen. I'll see where they are leaving the characters; it's pretty complicated... There's a board that is tracking what is happening."

Apparently, Penn ran into trouble back when he was writing the last two X-Men movies because he wanted to introduce the Fantastic Four -- but was prevented by the studio. In contrast, he appears to be relishing the chance to cross-pollinate superheroes this time around now that Marvel themselves are producing.

"It is a world of difference; it is a lot easier to do things like that and they encourage it," he said. "Marvel is autonomous now. It is night and day. Everyone has read every comic. They know how to make a cool movie."

Depressingly, though, he did add, "It's hard to make a good movie. We all have the best intentions, and it still might suck."

Mike
(Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 8:58 pm 
Editor Emeritus of SDCC

Kevin Feige on Upcoming Marvel Studios Films

Source:superherohype.com

January 26, 2010

SFX Magazine's March issue features an interview with Marvel Studios President Kevin Feige in which he talks more about the studio's upcoming projects and makes one fairly big reveal.

Feige talked about how Iron Man, Iron Man 2 (May 7), Thor (May 6, 2011) and The First Avenger: Captain America (July 22, 2011) will lay the foundation for what should be the ultimate superhero epic - The Avengers (May 4, 2012).

"It's fun now, and we're introducing some new characters in ['Iron Man 2']," he told the magazine. "But it's not about just cramming in lots of new people; that's sort of the cardinal sin of the sequel - adding in too many characters. This is totally Tony Stark's story. And that's gonna weave into Thor's story, and Steve Rogers' story, and it's already ingrained with Nick Fury's story and an organization known as S.H.I.E.L.D."

He says that it is important to first focus on each character. "My only concern is that when we launch a franchise--whichever character's franchise that may be--it should stand on its own two feet... So by the time 'The Avengers' comes in 2012, it's not just a team superhero movie with a bunch of characters with powers. It's three people - four including the Hulk; five including Nick Fury - who you've seen before in other movies, coming together for the very first time."

Catch that Hulk bit? Feige also said that he won't rule out the possibility of a second Incredible Hulk film with Edward Norton. "That would be post-'Avengers,' if it happened... I think there's a chance. It's certainly our intention to use the same actors from film to film where we can."

Feige was asked it will be difficult to meld the fantasy of Thor with the high-tech science fiction in Iron Man and The Avengers. "No," he said, "because we're doing the Jack Kirby/Stan Lee/Walt Simonson/J. Michael Straczynski 'Thor.' We're not doing the blow-the-dust-off-of-the-old-Norse-book-in-your-library 'Thor.' And in the 'Thor' of the Marvel Universe, there's a race called the Asgardians. And we're linked through this Tree of Life that we're unaware of. It's real science, but we don't know about it yet. The 'Thor' movie is about teaching people that."

The magazine asked Feige what other characters may come to the big screen after The Avengers. "I love Doctor Strange. Ant-Man is like Whiplash - one of those chracters where you're like, 'Really?' that we've got a fun story with. I've always wanted to do something with Black Panther. I think what Ed Brubaker and Matt Fraction have done with Iron Fist lately is great, and the Iron Fist mythology opens up a whole other part to us. I'd love to break into the cosmic side of the Marvel Universe even more- it's kind of there in 'Thor.' J.J. Abrams' 'Star Trek' got me jonesing to do that. It's what I grew up on - 'Star Trek' and 'Star Wars.' I want to do a big space epic. And we've got them in Marvel."

Mike
(Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image)

Post subject: Re: Avengers Movie
PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 4:52 pm 
Editor Emeritus of SDCC

From IGN:

Is War Machine in Avengers?

Don't ask Don Cheadle.

by Scott Collura

February 21, 2010 - IGN Movies spoke with War Machine and Blade today -- well, actually Don Cheadle and Wesley Snipes -- about their new movie Brooklyn's Finest, and while we had their ears we just had to talk superheroes.

Specifically, the topic of The Avengers came up. Cheadle, of course, plays Col. James "Rhodey" Rhodes, a.k.a. War Machine, in the upcoming Iron Man 2, and reports have indicated that he will reprise the role in the eventual Avengers team-up film. In fact, Marvel even said in its press release announcing the actor's casting in Iron Man 2 that he is also signed on for Avengers. Cheadle isn't so sure what that means, however...

We asked him directly if he'll be in the Marvel bonanza.

"I don't know," responded the actor. "We'll see."

He then added, "There isn't even a script yet."

So it would seem that all that talk about secondary characters like Black Widow and War Machine and Loki appearing in The Avengers may be just a bit premature, regardless of whether or not they're contractually attached.

Stay tuned to IGN for more on this as we hear it!

Mike
(Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image)

Post subject: Re: Avengers Movie
PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 12:02 am 
Editor Emeritus of SDCC

Quesada Says There's an Avengers Script

Source:superherohype.com

March 3, 2010

Marvel Comics editor-in-chief Joe Quesada posted two interesting tweets on Twitter Tuesday:

Definition of "goose bumps." Pressing enter and watching a screenplay entitled "AVENGERS" come out of my printer.

It's official, I have the greatest job in the world.

We assume this is a draft of the script written by Zak Penn (The Incredible Hulk, X-Men: The Last Stand, X2).

Marvel Studios and Paramount Pictures are planning to release The Avengers on May 4, 2012.

Mike

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 697 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 47  Next