It is currently Tue Sep 16, 2014 3:42 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Cloud Atlas
PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 9:14 am 
Editor Emeritus of SDCC

Halle Berry Confirms Cloud Atlas Involvement

Source: comingsoon.net

November 30, 2010

Halle Berry participated in a Q&A at a 42nd NAACP Image Awards' screening of Frankie & Alice and confirmed rumors that she is involved with the Wachowskis' adaptation of David Mitchell's "Cloud Atlas."

She says: "I'm going to do a movie probably in the summer with the Wachowskis. It's not brothers anymore, but the Wachowskis. A really interesting movie. Sort of like what they did with "The Matrix," they have another really amazing idea that's sort of gonna stretch our brains even further. And so I'm really excited about that and that's probably gonna be in the summer. And that’s with Tom Hanks and Natalie Portman.

You can also watch her say it in the first minute of the video below:

NataliePortman.com added that "its not a done deal yet. Looking more and more likely though." Besides Hanks and Portman, James McAvoy and Ian McKellen were also rumored to be in talks for roles, but it's unclear if either of those two are still involved. Tom Tykwer wrote the script and it's unclear at this point if he will direct or if the Wachowskis will.

Michell's book is described as follows:

From David Mitchell, the Booker Prize nominee, award-winning writer and one of the featured authors in Granta's "Best of Young British Novelists 2003" issue, comes his highly anticipated third novel, a work of mind-bending imagination and scope.

A reluctant voyager crossing the Pacific in 1850; a disinherited composer blagging a precarious livelihood in between-the-wars Belgium; a high-minded journalist in Governor Reagan's California; a vanity publisher fleeing his gangland creditors; a genetically modified "dinery server" on death-row; and Zachry, a young Pacific Islander witnessing the nightfall of science and civilisation -- the narrators of Cloud Atlas hear each other's echoes down the corridor of history, and their destinies are changed in ways great and small.

In his captivating third novel, David Mitchell erases the boundaries of language, genre and time to offer a meditation on humanity's dangerous will to power, and where it may lead us.

Post subject: Re: Cloud Atlas
PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 6:39 pm 
Editor Emeritus of SDCC

The Wachowksis and Tom Tykwer to Co-Direct Cloud Atlas?

Source: comingsoon.net

January 5, 2011

The adaptation of David Mitchell's Cloud Atlas has gained a new director in the form of Tom Tykwer (Run Lola Run, Perfume) but will still keep the previously-announced Andy and Lana Wachowski (The Matrix, Speed Racer) as well. Entertainment Weekly (via The Playlist) has the news, direct from Natalie Portman, who also says that she'll play a minor role in the film.

Mitchell's unconventional novel pits six radically different narratives against one another, stretching from the year 1850 to the end of civilization in the distant future.

Last November, Halle Berry indicated that not only would she star in the film, but that Tom Hanks was attached as well (in addition to Portman).

Though directing as a trio could foreseeably help push the production, Portman also indicated that the project is far from green-lit.

"I don't know what's going on with financing," she said, explaining that her loose involvement with the film goes back to the production stage of V For Vendetta, "...I will have some acting role in it if it happens, but probably nothing major."

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 6:06 pm 
Editor Emeritus of SDCC

Foursome Joins the Wachowskis & Tykwer's Cloud Atlas

Source: ComingSoon

May 12, 2011

Andy and Lana Wachowski and Tom Tykwer said at the Cannes Film Festival on Thursday that Hugo Weaving, Ben Whishaw, Susan Sarandon and Jim Broadbent are joining Tom Hanks and Halle Berry in their $100 million adaptation of Cloud Atlas.

The film will be based on the book by David Mitchell which is described as follows:

A reluctant voyager crossing the Pacific in 1850; a disinherited composer blagging a precarious livelihood in between-the-wars Belgium; a high-minded journalist in Governor Reagan's California; a vanity publisher fleeing his gangland creditors; a genetically modified "dinery server" on death-row; and Zachry, a young Pacific Islander witnessing the nightfall of science and civilisation -- the narrators of Cloud Atlas hear each other's echoes down the corridor of history, and their destinies are changed in ways great and small.

In his captivating third novel, David Mitchell erases the boundaries of language, genre and time to offer a meditation on humanity's dangerous will to power, and where it may lead us.

Each actor in the film will be playing multiple roles. The Wachowskis and Tykwer co-wrote and will co-direct the movie, which starts shooting in September. Warner Bros. Pictures will release Cloud Atlas in North America.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 8:47 pm 
Editor Emeritus of SDCC

Hugh Grant Talks the Wachowskis and Tykwer's Cloud Atlas

February 16, 2012

Empire magazine got a chance to talk to Hugh Grant about his roles in the Wachowskis and Tom Tykwer's Cloud Atlas.

"I have six cameo parts in this strange, ambitious film," Grant said. "I do a lot of killing and snoogling. I wear an awful lot of prosthetic make up, too. You probably won’t know that I am in the film! But it was a laugh."

The magazine says that the actor described his characters as "incredibly evil". He added: "I slightly called my own bluff. In one of the parts I am a cannibal, about 2000 years in the future, and I thought, 'I can do that. It's easy.' And then I am suddenly standing in a cannibal skirt on a mountaintop in Germany and they are saying, 'You know, hungry! We must have that flesh-eating, like a leopard who is so hungry...' and I am thinking, 'I can’t do that! Just give me a witty line!'"

So how does he think the complex film, also starring Tom Hanks, Halle Berry, Hugo Weaving, Ben Whishaw, Susan Sarandon, Jim Broadbent, Bae Doona and James D'Arcy, will turn out? "I have seen little bits of cut footage and it is just astonishing. I probably had 20 shooting days, and each of them is shooting their own part of the film with their own crews. It’s remarkable."

Warner Bros. Pictures has not announced a released date for the film yet.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 6:10 pm 
Editor Emeritus of SDCC

Cloud Atlas to Hit Theaters This October

June 19, 2012

Warner Bros. Pictures has officially slated the sci-fi epic Cloud Atlas from acclaimed filmmakers Lana Wachowski, Tom Tykwer, and Andy Wachowski, for domestic release on October 26, 2012. In addition, the Studio has acquired rights for the film in the major markets of the UK, France, Spain, Australia, and Japan, with plans to release it in those territories in early 2013. The joint announcement was made today by Dan Fellman, President of Domestic Distribution, and Veronika Kwan Vandenberg, President of International Distribution, Warner Bros. Pictures.

“Audiences who have seen an early screening of ‘Cloud Atlas’ have been elated by its powerful and inspiring story, as well as its breathtaking visuals. An October release in North America is the perfect window to showcase this epic film.” Fellman stated.

Kwan Vandenberg said, “We are proud to be distributing this remarkable motion picture in a number of key markets. We look forward to working with these visionary filmmakers and the other international distribution partners to bring ‘Cloud Atlas’ to moviegoers around the world.”

Academy Award winners Tom Hanks (Philadelphia, Forrest Gump) and Halle Berry (Monster’s Ball) lead a stellar international cast that includes Oscar winner Jim Broadbent (Iris), Hugo Weaving, Jim Sturgess, Doona Bae, Ben Whishaw, James D’Arcy, Zhou Xun and Keith David, with Oscar winner Susan Sarandon (Dead Man Walking) and Hugh Grant. Each member of the ensemble appears in multiple roles as the stories move through time.

Cloud Atlas explores how the actions and consequences of individual lives impact one another throughout the past, the present and the future. Action, mystery and romance weave dramatically through the story as one soul is shaped from a killer into a hero and a single act of kindness ripples across centuries to inspire a revolution in the distant future.

The film is written for the screen and directed by Lana Wachowski & Tom Tykwer & Andy Wachowski. The Wachowskis previously teamed as writers/directors of the groundbreaking Matrix trilogy, which earned more than $1.6 billion, combined, at the worldwide box office. Tom Tykwer won an Independent Spirit Award and earned a BAFTA Award nomination as the director/writer of Run Lola Run, and more recently directed the award-winning thriller Perfume: The Story of a Murderer.

Based on the celebrated best-selling novel by David Mitchell, Cloud Atlas is produced by two-time Oscar nominee Grant Hill (The Thin Red Line, The Tree of Life), three-time BAFTA Award nominee Stefan Arndt (The White Ribbon, Goodbye Lenin!, Run Lola Run), Lana Wachowski, Tom Tykwer, and Andy Wachowski. Philip Lee, Uwe Schott and Wilson Qiu serve as executive producers, with Peter Lam, Tony Teo and Alexander van Duelmen co-producing, and Gigi Oeri as associate producer.

Cloud Atlas will be released in Germany, Austria and German-speaking Switzerland by X-Filme-Verleih; in China by Dreams of the Dragon Pictures; in Hong Kong by Media Asia Group; in Singapore and Malaysia by Ascension Pictures; in Korea by Bloomage Company; in Taiwan by Long Shong Group; in Russia and Eastern Europe by A Company; and in other territories through Focus Features International.

The domestic date puts the film up against Paramount Pictures' comedy Fun Size, the Lionsgate comedy drama The Big Wedding, 20th Century Fox's surfer biopic Of Men and Mavericks and Open Road's Silent Hill: Revelation 3D.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 9:49 pm 
Editor Emeritus of SDCC

From IGN:

Weaving Discusses Wachowskis' Cloud Atlas

Movie explores "souls being reborn through time."

by Max Nicholson

July 3, 2012

In a recent interview, actor Hugo Weaving shed a little more light on Andy and Lana Wachowski's upcoming film Cloud Atlas, based on the novel from David Mitchell. For the Wachowskis, the film marks the siblings' return to film following 2008's Speed Racer. But as Weaving notes, Cloud Atlas -- which tells six separate stories spanning centuries -- is quite different from anything he and his former Matrix cohorts have ever done before.

"Sometimes in any one week you might be working on three or four characters. It’s a slightly dangerous adventure we embarked on, because to be honest ... I don’t know where it’s all heading, despite the wonderful preparation. But yeah, it was certainly very exciting," Weaving told The Hollywood Reporter. Along with Weaving, co-stars Tom Hanks, Halle Berry, Susan Sarandon and Jim Broadbent each play multiple characters -- sometimes unrecognizably so -- in different locations and time periods.

Continued Weaving, "What’s fascinating about the adaptation of the book was that sense that you get in the book about souls being reborn, a particular soul, and then they thought, 'What if we bring back actors to multiple roles in these stories?' So to take that idea and run with it actually kind of became one of the key propellers for the project."

The actor went on to say that even though he was playing numerous roles, he began to find a singular arc throughout his experience. "Because the film’s told in a sort of mosaic way, where all six stories are told at once, at the beginning of the shoot you’d move from one character to another. But as the shoot progressed and it got towards the end, you were seeing more links between the characters. And indeed, there might be a cut from one of your characters to another character, so there’s a link between them."

Cloud Atlas is scheduled to hit theaters October 26, 2012.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 4:41 pm 
Editor Emeritus of SDCC

Nearly 6-Minute Trailer for Cloud Atlas!

July 26, 2012

Yesterday, we revealed 22 pictures from Andy and Lana Wachowski and Tom Tykwer's adaptation of David Mitchell's 2004 novel Cloud Atlas--you can see those here--but those stills are nothing compared to the nearly six-minute trailer that's appeared online and can be watched below along with a director's commentary video!

Cloud Atlas explores how the actions and consequences of individual lives impact one another throughout the past, the present and the future. Action, mystery and romance weave dramatically through the story as one soul is shaped from a killer into a hero and a single act of kindness ripples across centuries to inspire a revolution in the distant future.

Cloud Atlas will premiere at the Toronto International Film Festival in early September and then will be released theatrically on October 26. The film stars Tom Hanks, Halle Berry, Jim Broadbent, Hugo Weaving, Jim Sturgess, Doona Bae, Ben Whishaw, James D’Arcy, Xun Zhou, Keith David, David Gyasi, Susan Sarandon and Hugh Grant.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 8:32 pm 
Editor Emeritus of SDCC

CloudAtlasmovie.com