Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 9:25 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 174 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12  Next
 Post subject: Re: Captain America: The Winter Soldier
PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 10:31 pm 
Editor Emeritus of SDCC

Hugo Weaving Doesn't Want to be Red Skull Again

by SuperHeroHype

October 15, 2012

Huge Weaving made a good impression with fans when he played Captain America's arch-nemesis the Red Skull in 2011's Captain America: The First Avenger. It seems not everything was fun and games though.

In an interview with Collider, they brought up Marvel's tendency to contract actors for multiple films and if they'd call on him for Captain America: The Winter Soldier or Marvel's The Avengers 2. "I did that for Captain America. I think the tendency, with those films, would be to probably not bring a villain back. They might for The Avengers, but I didn’t think I’d be in Captain America 2 or 3. I don’t think Red Skull will be there. And it’s not something I would want to do again," he said, adding, "I’m glad I did it. I did sign up for a number of pictures and I suppose, contractually, I would be obliged to, if they forced me to, but they wouldn’t want to force someone to do it, if they didn’t want to. I think I’ve done my dash with that sort of film. It was good to do it and try it out, but to be honest, it’s not the sort of film I seek out and really am excited by. As an actor, to do all sorts of different films is great. It stretches you in different ways. But, I increasingly like to go back to what I used to always do, which is to get involved with projects that I really have a personal affiliation with".

Though nothing has been said about the character returning for either of those films, it stands to reason that it could happen, but after these comments don't count on it.

Captain America: The Winter Soldier is set for release on April 4, 2014 with Marvel's The Avengers 2 hitting theaters on May 1, 2015.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 5:38 am 
too much stick, not enough carrot

That's kind of a downer. I loved Weaving in the role, and I don't know how you'd do future Cap movies without Red Skull. So kinda sucks that they'd have to get someone else.

DC/WB is all like "Wonder Woman's too confusing for a movie!" and Marvel/Disney is all like "Here's a raccoon with a machine gun".

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 7:59 am 
Armored Avenger of Arduous Aspirations

Eh, just get Zemo or Strucker to be the new big bad.

I've always liked Zemo better then the Skull, anyway.

Trade Rating +55 and counting

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 9:49 am 
5" Scale

I've always liked the look of Zemo too. I was a little bummed when he didn't pop up on the Cap game. OK, someone help me out, was that person that the Russian general mentioned in interrogation of Black Widow the same person that has Red Skull basically in their head? That could be a direction they could go if it is true that Weaving doesn't want to return. That way you have a new actor doing their spin on things. Still, who's to say that it needs to be any of the big bads from his rogues gallery. As long as it is done right, I'm open to whatever direction they take.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 11:07 pm 
Editor Emeritus of SDCC

Frank Grillo Joining Captain America: The Winter Soldier?

by SuperHeroHype

October 22, 2012

Frank Grillo, who appeared earlier this year in The Grey, is rumored to be up for a part in Marvel Studio's Captain America: The First Avenger and reports suggest that the role is likely that of Brock Rumlow, better known as Crossbones.

Grillo himself tweeted earlier today about a visit to Los Angeles and a meeting with Marvel along with the hashtag "#captainamerica". The tweets have since been deleted, but the official Twitter feed of The Matthew Aaron Show has repeatedly made the claim that Grillo was auditioning to play Crossbones and, what's more, that he's allegedly very close to getting the part.

First introduced in the comics in the late 1980's, Crossbones is better known today for his major role in Ed Brubaker's modern arc on "Captain America". A highly trained mercenary working for the Red Skull, Crossbones played a major role in the assassination of Steve Rogers following Marvel's "Civil War".

Although Crossbone's potential appearance in the 2014 sequel is far from confirmed, Brubaker's "Captain America" comics, as evidenced by the Winter Solider title, are certain to serve as a major inspiration for the Stephen McFeely screenplay.

Set to be directed by Anthony and Joe Russo, Captain America: The Winter Solider will star Chris Evans and Anthony Mackie and is planned to hit theaters on April 4, 2014.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 4:38 am 

See, while I like the character of Crossbones, I'm getting a little concerned. Iron Man has been able to balance having multiple characters. Hammer, Whiplash, Rhodey, etc in Iron Man 2. But the more people they add, the more I think Batman Forever. *shudders*

DC/WB is all like "Wonder Woman's too confusing for a movie!" and Marvel/Disney is all like "Here's a raccoon with a machine gun".

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 9:09 am 

Crossbones is the best latter day Cap villain they've created.

He was (along with the Serpent Society, Diamondback, and USAgent) one of Mark Guenwald's better contributions to the Cap mythos. I still have fond memories of "Streets of Poison" and "the Bloodstone Hunt."

Cap-wolf?

Not so much. :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 10:04 am 
5" Scale

Well to be fair, Marvel has done a better job of translating their characters to the silver screen. Plus, if you are going to have Viper, you should have Crossbone. What I wonder is how they'll do Arnim Zola? I loved and read Cap when Mike Zeck was drawing the series. Much like when Bob Layton was drawing Iron Man, it was their art work that drew me in.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 11:03 am 
Disney is not his cup of tea

Shellhead wrote:
Crossbones is the best latter day Cap villain they've created.

He was (along with the Serpent Society, Diamondback, and USAgent) one of Mark Guenwald's better contributions to the Cap mythos. I still have fond memories of "Streets of Poison" and "the Bloodstone Hunt."

OMG what terrible stories :P You must truly love Cap... I remember knowing who Bloodstone was because I had his early 1970s Marvel Premiere issues in my collection. I bet you loved Operation Galactic Storm too? :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 11:17 am 

What's wrong with Operation Galactic Storm? :?

It's one of the best Avengers crossovers they ever did. I especially liked the part where Iron Man pulls rank and puts the Supreme Intelligence out of its misery. :twisted:

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 4:38 pm 

There's far better Avengers crossovers.
It was much too long, typical of the Tom Defalco era of Marvel. Captain America 400 ruins it...
"Oh my 400th Anniversary issue... time to recap the origin that everyone knows... OH YEAH... I forgot in all my internal reminiscing that I'm in the middle of this galactic war... "
Just another way to give the Wonderman series some validation. Although that one issue was my favorite with the Kree Soldier who has the Nega Bands and switches places with Rick Jones as he fights Simon.
But over all just another example of bad Marvel 90s comics.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 6:19 pm 

We'll have to agree to disagree.

The 90's had a lot of problems, but Galactic Storm wasn't one of them.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 6:54 am 

Don't get me wrong, I love Crossbones. I just always get a little concerned when they start adding too many characters.

And operation Galactic Storm wasn't bad. It's not one of my favorites, but it's not bad.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 12:47 pm 

wow.. :lol: Well there were people who bought Slapstick and Super Pro too so I guess I can understand.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 1:24 pm 

See now you're just being mean. What the heck is wrong with Slapstick? :D :D :D

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 174 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12  Next