Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Mon May 21, 2018 11:10 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: The New Gods
PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 7:30 pm 
Loose, Missing Package

Ava DuVernay supposedly working on a New Gods film.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat- ... ds-1094878

She turned down Black Panther but is up for this?... Top that with "A Wrinkle in Time" being a box office bomb from all the reports I'm reading... This can't be good...

Post subject: Re: The New Gods
PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 3:18 pm 
Factory Manager

A Wrinkle In Time is considered by most people to be a great movie. I'm not sure about the box office, but that's probably why she got the job.

ThunderCats Wishlist: Wilykit, WilyKat, Snarf, Ma-Mutt, Jaga, Vultureman, Grune, Rataro, Hatchiman, Snowman, Termigar, Hammerhand, Capt. Cracker, Capt. Shiner, Bengali, Lynxo, Pumyra, Mongor, Safari Joe, Driller, Ro-Bear Bill, Mandora, Mumm-Ra (Mummy).

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 7:02 am 
Aspires to be #1

It amazes me that DC is still so clueless. Marvel has been writing the playbook for 10 years now. In an alternate universe, New Gods is DC’s Guardians of the Galaxy but in this world, it’s suicide squad all over again.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 7:52 am 
Loose, Missing Package

Fone Bone wrote:
A Wrinkle In Time is considered by most people to be a great movie. I'm not sure about the box office, but that's probably why she got the job.

I'm going to quote the Wikipedia page for simplicity since all of the info is there together, the article does have links to the stories quoted if you want to check further...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Wrinkle ... (2018_film)

Quote:
Box office

As of March 13, 2018, A Wrinkle in Time has grossed $39.6 million in the United States and Canada, and $6.2 million in other territories, for a worldwide total of $45.7 million. With a combined $250 million spent on production and advertisement, the film will need to gross at least $400 million worldwide to turn a profit.

In the United States and Canada, A Wrinkle in Time was released alongside The Hurricane Heist, Gringo and The Strangers: Prey at Night, and was projected to gross $30–38 million from 3,980 theaters in its opening weekend. It made $10.2 million on its first day, including $1.3 million from Thursday night previews. It went on to debut to $33.3 million, finishing second behind Disney's own Black Panther ($41.1 million in its fourth weekend).

Internationally the film opened in six countries alongside the United States and grossed $6.3 million in its opening weekend, with Russia being the largest market with $4.1 million.

Critical response

On review aggregator website Rotten Tomatoes, the film holds an approval rating of 40% based on 193 reviews, and an average rating of 5.1/10. The website's critical consensus reads, "A Wrinkle in Time is visually gorgeous, big-hearted, and occasionally quite moving; unfortunately, it's also wildly ambitious to a fault, and often less than the sum of its classic parts." On Metacritic, which assigns normalized rating to reviews, the film has a weighted average score of 53 out of 100, based on 48 critics, indicating "mixed or average reviews". Audiences polled by CinemaScore gave the film an average grade of "B" on an A+ to F scale; filmgoers under the age of 18 gave it an average grade of "A–" and a PostTrak positive score of 89%.

Alonso Duralde of TheWrap praised the film's visuals and performances, writing, "Awash in bold colors, bright patterns and ebullient kids, director Ava DuVernay’s new take on A Wrinkle in Time dazzles its way across time and space even if it doesn’t quite stick the landing." David Ehrlich of IndieWire gave the film a "C+" and praised what he described as its ambition, saying: "It almost doesn’t matter that the movie is too emotionally prescriptive to have any real power, or too high on imagination to leave any room for wonder; DuVernay evinces such faith in who she is and what she’s doing that A Wrinkle in Time remains true to itself even when everything on screen reads false."

Alex Hudson of Exclaim! gave the film a 5 out of 10, saying that it felt "like a missed opportunity. Rather than a family classic, all we get is a perfectly fine kids movie." Vince Mancini of Uproxx gave the film a negative review, saying, "...if anything, the trouble with Wrinkle is that you never really get a sense of DuVernay's personal touch. In fact, it feels a lot like Brad Bird's big budget, equally smarmy 2015 Disney film, Tomorrowland. Both attempt to be so broad and universal that they feel disconnected from anything human. But universality doesn't work that way, no matter how much you tell everyone to think like a kid."

The film did beat the projected first weekend box-office but $39 million isn't what the studios want from a film of that scale. Granted, it's not Jem and the Holograms or The Inhumans bad but it's still far from "good" and neither of those films were big-budget tentpoles. If the CimenaScore and PostTrack rankings are actually right among filmgoers it's going to need tremendous word of mouth to save it at the box office. Of course it may find it's true footing on DVD/streaming but studios don't typically make $250 million movies to go straight to home video.

I've never seen anything to say if DuVernay is a comic book geek or not but a group of characters that are as obscure to the general public as the New Gods are (as a whole, not necessarily Darkseid) I would think would need someone like James Gunn who has been a life-long fan and understands what needs to be changed to make the story accessible to a general audience.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 10:37 am 
Aspires to be #1

Did people think that movie was going to be good? It looked awful and nonsensical.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 11:10 am 
Loose, Missing Package

j1h15233 wrote:
Did people think that movie was going to be good? It looked awful and nonsensical.

I don't know. I knew nothing of the project before seeing the trailer (I think I saw it with Thor Ragnarok) and thought it was colorful but I got no sense of story. Figured that I wasn't (and am probably not) the target audience and thought nothing more of the film. I did look it up and there was a TV movie made in 2003 which was apparently a very troubled project that had it's airing delayed almost a year and went from being a two night "event" miniseries to being edited into a single 3 hour movie. The critics apparently hated the TV version, as well. The book that both were based won a lot of awards and I would guess was popular since it was the first of five. I'm sure that Disney had high hopes that this would be another franchise for them but if business hasn't picked up considerably this weekend I doubt that it will happen.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 8:11 pm 
Factory Manager

j1h15233 wrote:
The book was my favorite book when I was a kid. I'm seeing the movie tomorrow.

ThunderCats Wishlist: Wilykit, WilyKat, Snarf, Ma-Mutt, Jaga, Vultureman, Grune, Rataro, Hatchiman, Snowman, Termigar, Hammerhand, Capt. Cracker, Capt. Shiner, Bengali, Lynxo, Pumyra, Mongor, Safari Joe, Driller, Ro-Bear Bill, Mandora, Mumm-Ra (Mummy).

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 10:22 am 
Aspires to be #1

Never knew it was a book. There’s no way I would be able to take Oprah seriously.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 2:17 pm 
Shudders at the Thought of Swamp-Crotch Chafing

The book was amazing to me as a child. So much so, it is the first book I read multiple times beyond the first assigned reading in class.

I’ve seen the original film strips (anyone remember those from grade school?) and television “event” and neither of them were good in the least. The source material is such that it is so rich and ready for development, yet so nearly impossible to do right in any sort of limited time frame. Kinda like the original Dune movie compared to the Dune novels.

My son and I are still planning in seeing it, he is reading the book now and wants to finish it before we go, but my expectations have fallen since the reviews started coming out.

As for New Gods, there is just so much there. Ava has shown she can do visuals on the grandest of scales, but the writing for this needs to hit that magical balance to be able to pull in and keep general audiences while not alienating hardcore fans.

I guess “hesitantly intrigued” is the best descriptor of my feelings right now

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 3:45 pm 
Factory Manager

I saw it today. It's great. The kid they got for Charles Wallace was amazing. Frankly, I do not understand a single negative review as long as that kid is in the movie.

Film critics notoriously hate children's films that go over their heads, and don't talk down to kids. Do not listen to the critics. They believe all kids films should be dumb and not science-based. Movie critics are no smarter than you or I. The movie isn't perfect, and of course it isn't as good as the book, but it's still great.

j1h15233 wrote:
Never knew it was a book. There’s no way I would be able to take Oprah seriously.
Oprah's role is not a "Serious" one. It's a whimsical fantasy role. She's fine as Mrs. Which, although she is not as severe as I imagined the character to be. And she doesn't have a thick accent either. I'll post my review in the Screen Scene board.

Excited for New Gods now.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 8:29 pm 
Editor Emeritus of SDCC

Boom Tubes, Mother Boxes and Steppenwolf were all in Justice League, and The New Gods and Darkseid were mentioned by name. So a New Gods movie is not a stretch. Quite the contrary, I'd say it's to be expected at this point.

And like a lot of DC properties, this could be a lot of fun.

Image Image Image Image Image

Looking forward to it!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 4:33 pm 
Loose, Missing Package

Was just watching Fatman on Batman and they said something that makes me feel better about the director/material pairing. Marc Bernardin was reporting the news that DuVernay had gotten the job (this was recorded a few weeks back) and he related something from several months ago about a fan asking DuVernay on Twitter who her favorite superhero was to which she replied "Big Barda" so she is familiar with the material and the characters, lets hope she can pull James Gunn magic with her take on them.