All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Shazam!
PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 10:25 pm 
Editor Emeritus of SDCC

http://www.superherohype.com

Peter Segal to Direct Shazam!

Source: The Hollywood Reporter

April 12, 2006

Peter Segal ("The Longest Yard," "50 First Dates") has come aboard to direct Shazam! -- an adaptation of a DC Comics' comic book series featuring Captain Marvel -- for New Line Cinema. The Hollywood Reporter says Segal also will produce along with Michael Ewing via their Callahan Filmworks.

The comic series focused on young Billy Batson, who becomes the superhero known as Captain Marvel when he utters the magic word "Shazam!" The name is an acronym for six gods and heroes of the ancient world as well as their attributes: the wisdom of Solomon, the strength of Hercules, the stamina of Aries, the power of Zeus, the courage of Achilles and the speed of Mercury.

Writers on the long-gestating project include William Goldman and Bryan Goluboff.

Mike
(Cool! And THINK OF THE TOYS!) :wink:

Last edited by SDcomics on Sun Nov 11, 2007 1:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 3:28 am 
buzz word garbage hater

If this actually happens it could be very, VERY cool.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 5:15 am 
The Last Word

Although My Fellow Americans was kind of funny, most of Segal's films have been cornball comedy vehicles for former SNL performers. If there's going to be a Captain Marvel flick, I'd prefer a filmmaker with a stronger résumé be behind the wheel. Otherwise, I don't see the point.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 9:21 am 
Master of the Interwebs

According to IMDB, Peter Segal's resume include:

Get Smart (2006) (announced)
Dealbreaker (2006) (announced)
The Longest Yard (2005)
50 First Dates (2004)
Anger Management (2003)
Nutty Professor II: The Klumps (2000) ... aka The Klumps (Australia)
My Fellow Americans (1996)
Tommy Boy (1995)
Naked Gun 33 1/3: The Final Insult (1994)
"The Jackie Thomas Show" (1992) TV Series

Do they plan to make Shazam a comedy film?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2006 12:19 am 
PVC

I fear that, just judging by the director's previous films, they are looking at turning Captain Marvel into a 'joke' superhero movie, and if that's the case then that really blows. Yeah he's a little (big red) cheesy around the edges, but that's part of his charm, and if handled deftly enough I think they could make a great lightweight superhero flick with Cap, without having to take the easy way out and turn everything predictably into some big lame joke. Especially if they use Black Adam as well. See how it develops I guess, but this director doesn't exactly inspire confidence...

Also there seems to be (probably completely unfounded) rumours going around that The Rock is in talks to play Captain Marvel, though if he was cast as anything in the film I'd think he'd clearly be far better cast as Black Adam.

Sev.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2006 4:54 am 
Loose, Missing Package

I could almost see The Rock in the part even though I never exactly thought of Cap as an African/Samoan-American...

There are three actors I can see pulling off the role very well...

Patrick Warburton (he seems to be the favorite with fans at the moment)
George Clooney (I never saw him as Batman, but always thought he could be perfect here)
Jerry O'Connell (he played Cap to perfection on JLU and he's got the right build for the part)

...any other suggestions?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2006 5:26 am 
shirtless hugger

I prefer another director as well... But who knows!! Still good news!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2006 7:54 pm 
Factory Worker

Severen wrote:

Also there seems to be (probably completely unfounded) rumours going around that The Rock is in talks to play Captain Marvel, though if he was cast as anything in the film I'd think he'd clearly be far better cast as Black Adam.

Sev.

I actually like that idea. I love the Black Adam character and i could really see the rock in a live action version.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2006 9:12 pm 
Grickle Grass Grower

I think with this movie they are going for more of a superhero movie the whole family can watch without any reservations. Something really family friendly made in the air of SKY HIGH, SPY KIDS, and movies like that. Im actually surprised with how popular superheroe movies have been no one has tried using a known superhero to start a family friendly franchise.
DrGreenEvil

Post subject: Sha-Zam Movie
PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 11:25 pm 
Editor Emeritus of SDCC

Shazam! We've Got a Writer

Source: superherohype.com

March 9, 2007

John August has been hired to write Shazam!, New Line Cinema's adaptation of a DC Comics series featuring Captain Marvel, says The Hollywood Reporter. Peter Segal is attached to direct and also is producing with Michael Ewing.

The comic book series focuses on Billy Batson, a teenager who becomes the superhero known as Captain Marvel when he utters the magic word "Shazam!" The name is an acronym for six gods and heroes of the ancient world as well as their attributes: the wisdom of Solomon, the strength of Hercules, the stamina of Aries, the power of Zeus, the courage of Achilles and the speed of Mercury.

August has worked on such films as Tim Burton's Corpse Bride, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory and Big Fish.

"It's a unique opportunity to do a comic book movie where the character in it actually read comic books," said August, who has started writing the script. "What's terrific about the character is that he looks like this superstudly superhero but is really a 13-year-old boy. And to approach everything that is great about a superhero movie from a 13-year-old boy's perspective was a unique way in."

August sat down with noted DC Comics writer Geoff Johns for "idiot checking," making sure the filmmakers' approach to the character was consistent with what fans love about him. "I think we're going to be able to be really faithful to the mythology and yet make it completely transparent for people who have no idea who the character is," August said.

Chris Godsick and Michael Uslan (Constantine) are executive producing.

Gregory Noveck is overseeing for DC Comics. Mark Kaufman and Daryl Freimark are overseeing for New Line.

Mike
(Image)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 1:51 am 
An Insider

I'm happy about this. I’m not a huge Captain Marvel fan, but it will be nice to see him not playing second fiddle to the Man of Steel. It sounds like they want to remain respectful to the comics and that’s good from my pov, I just wonder how well he translates without relying on what people remember from the Filmation days. If they remain faithful to the comics and have the wizard Shazam you just confuse people who are wondering why Mentor is a wizard and he lives in a rock instead of an RV...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 3:08 am 
Loose, Missing Package

Man, I don't care if this movie is low-budget I just want it to be *GOOD*!

Shall we start casting the lead now?... How 'bout...

George Clooney?
Patrick Warburton?
Brenden Fraiser?
Jerry O'Connell?
Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson?

...too bad Frankie Muniz is too old for Billy now...

Wonder if this might be part of Boy Wonder's "big movie year" statement?... Hmmmm...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 3:59 am 
buzz word garbage hater

I personally will say right now I think that Brendan Fraiser would be pretty good for this role.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 6:05 am 
Hangin' with the big boys

Yeah, Patrick Warburton would have ruled as Capt. Marvel. I'm not sure if he could pull it off now, but I'd like to see him try.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 6:08 am 
An Insider

i kinda like the idea of the rock