Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Tue Sep 27, 2016 7:39 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Ninja Turtles (Nickelodeon)
PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2015 4:55 pm 
Shudders at the Thought of Swamp-Crotch Chafing

I know we used to have a thread for this but I couldn't find it in the search so ...

Who's still watching?

This is one of the few shows that gets better every season, and now the Turtles are in space!

David Tenant joins the voice cast as does Lucy Lawless this season.

Booyakasha!!!

Post subject: Re: Ninja Turtles (Nickelodeon)
PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2015 1:45 pm 
not exactly street legal

Sorry, I didn't post any reviews. Had to play some catch-up. Nick doesn't do the OnDemand for the Turtles on Comcast anymore so I had to look elsewhere (Nicktoons at my dad's house). Here we go.

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles "Annihilation: Earth! Part One"
Spoiler: show
Bishop! Honestly, I was so excited when they said his name at the end of the teaser, I squeed a bit. And he is just as amazing a fighter as the 2003 version. We didn't see as much of it here, but this is again a guy who could kick Shredder's @$$.

AND we get the Utroms? The worst thing about this reboot's Kraangs is that they totally corrupted the message of the Utroms from the comics. NONE of the Turtle series have done right by them, not even 2003 (because of the bad decision to make the "real" Shredder an Utrom) and this fixes this show's sin a bit. Not all of it. Not by a longshot. But at least they exist. I want to know more about Subprime's time with them and his relationship to Bishop. Flashback, please.

Great cliffhanger. It's over so quick I don't even know what happened. ****1/2.

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles "Annihilation Earth! Part Two"
What happened to Splinter at the end was precisely why an alliance with Shredder was as ill-advised as it is. Shredder is a sociopath who only cares about himself, and never truly loved Karai, and just proved it. Splinter would have been better off if it HAD simply been him and April taking on the Triceraton army alone.

Loved seeing Mondo Gecko but was sorely disappointed Napoleon Bonafrog didn't show up.

I love that Michael Dorn still gets steady voice work. And he should. He's crazygood at it.

Fugitoid thoughts: I hate his design. It's not surprising because I hate practically all of the designs but the Turtles, but Bishop had a pretty sweet one, as did the Triceratons, so I was hoping we'd get lucky with Honeycutt. No such luck. It is far too alien, and not enough robot. There should be a rustiness to the Professor, as he's a farmer and built the dang robot. He shouldn't be as smooth as EVE from WALL-E. Bygones.

Nowhere NEAR as good as last year's finale but next year looks interesting. Could you imagine how mad we'd all be if the series had been canceled? Hoo boy! ****.

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles "Beyond The Known Universe"
I was curious to see what they'd do to the main title. I was not disappointed.

Turtles in spacesuits! /Baby Sinclair pointing at the TV: "Mommy! Mommy! I want that!"

I groaned at April's yellow jumpsuit but it grew on me by the end of the episode. Even if I hate the 1987 jumpsuit, and prefer the 2003 show's more grounded fashions, it still is a hundred times better than the yellow T shirt and jeans. And despite what Donnie and Casey think, it's not sexy at all, so at least she isn't objectified like on the old show.

Fugitoid musing about the wonders of almost made me realize David Tennant was the perfect casting choice as Honeycutt. That's totally a Ten line.

Bad things? Lord Dregg? Really? Talk about a Turtleverse Z-lister. They took the bad guy from the shark jump season of the old show? Was Dr. Quease from The Next Mutation unavailable? How bad is Dregg? I regret we didn't get Serling first. THAT is how bad.

Maybe killing off the entire supporting cast in the season finale wasn't the best of ideas after all. Speculation: If they fail this time Fugitoid says he can't send them back again. Should we be paging Renet? Pretty please?

I am skeptical of this season. At least it exists. Annihilation: Earth! would have been the worst episode ever to go out on. ***1/2.

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles "The Moons Of Thalos 3"
Okay, the renaming stuff has gotten out of control. There's no need to rename your friend when they already have names. You want to nickname a friend, just shorten their real name. Because this is getting insulting.

Am I the only one who had a moment of dread when Raph renamed the Newtralizer after a beautiful woman from ancient Italian art that they were gonna go with "Venus De Milo"? I'm not, right? That sinking pit in my stomach unclenched at "Mona Lisa" but it was still too close a call.

I didn't like this. **.

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles "The Weird World Of Wyrm"
Love the design of the worm genie but not much else. Casey as super smart genius didn't actually go anywhere. I could actually picture Mikey pulling off that "genius" trick Casey did at the end. Just because Wyrm has never seen a genre show doesn't mean I haven't.

Chris Bradford had a Karate Kommandos TV show in the 80's? Exactly how old is that dude? Well, I guess as long as Clancy Brown gets work, I don't mind.

Eh. **1/2.

DCAU Wish List: Blight, Inque, Stalker, Jonah Hex, Royal Flush Gang, Luminus, Jax-Ur, Mala, Granny Goodness, Stompa, Mad Harriet, Count Vertigo, Mr. Mxyzspltlk, Steppenwolf, Kanto, Static, Gear, Zeta, Ro, Felix Faust, Morgaine Le Fey, Ares, Circe, Hades.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2015 6:54 pm 
not exactly street legal

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles "The Outlaw Armaggon"
"We're gonna need a bigger ship."

The good:

Armaggon is pretty much going to be the best deluxe action figure ever. A transforming alien mutant robot shark! Come on! How do you beat that?

Streamlined Fugitoid origin. No problem with that.

The bad:

I hate to say this. I miss the supporting cast. I really hope the Turtles In Space arc doesn't last the entire season. I think this season may have been as ill-advised as the Fast Forward season on the 2003 show. True, Fugitoid is no Serling and is actually pretty cool. But when the biggest Turtleverse name you've got besides the Triceratons is Lord Dregg, you have a problem. I don't know any of these characters, and I care about them as much as I do Cody Jones. Why is it that when the Turtles are exploring the galaxy, the universe feels smaller than ever?

Sigh. Cool robot mutant shark. Ill-conceived season. **1/2.

DCAU Wish List: Blight, Inque, Stalker, Jonah Hex, Royal Flush Gang, Luminus, Jax-Ur, Mala, Granny Goodness, Stompa, Mad Harriet, Count Vertigo, Mr. Mxyzspltlk, Steppenwolf, Kanto, Static, Gear, Zeta, Ro, Felix Faust, Morgaine Le Fey, Ares, Circe, Hades.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2015 12:05 am 
not exactly street legal

Half Shell Heroes "Blast To The Past"
Not excited they left us on a cliffhanger (are they going to do another one of these to resolve it?) but I liked the rest okay.

I had a bit of a problem with the Turtles smacking down the Triceratons at the end. It's not just out of character for the 2012 show, the Turtles couldn't even MOVE them in their first fight here. Their path to victory seems completely random.

Never seen a female Triceraton before, but they again dug into the Star Trek voice well by having her played by Kate Mulgrew. Cool.

Loved that Bebop saved Donatello's life. And him saying "I'm betting nobody's ever said THAT sentence before" was funny because it was true.

Mikey saying "Amazeballs" on a TV-Y7 show tells me neither the writers nor the censors know what it means. It's like the Joker's boner.

Loved seeing Ice Cream Kitty in 2-D animation. 2012 made him a very real part of the Turtleverse. The show will probably be most remembered for introducing Dogpound / Rahzar, Fishface, and Tiger Claw to the canon, but I think the biggest contribution towards Turtle lore is Ice Cream Kitty. By far.

So-so, but I liked more than I didn't. ***.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2016 8:23 pm 
not exactly street legal

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles "Riddle Of The Ancient Aeons"
Two things: One thing I liked, one thing I have a question about.

Thing I liked:

Super cool to hear Michael Dorn talking about Away Teams again.

Question:

How did Fugitoid regrow his arm after the cave saw chopped it off?

Passable episode. ***.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 2:37 am 
not exactly street legal

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles "Journey To The Center Of Mikey's Mind"
Sigh. Did they HAVE to call them Neutrinos? I feel like the Neutrinos are the part of the major Turtles canon that gets respected the least. Yeah, they're Hot Rodding Teenagers From Dimension X. But it's precisely that they were so goofy as to why they were one of the most memorable things about the old show. They had a legit role in the five-part Pilot, they were toyetic, and I still don't think Playmates bothered making figures for them. If they weren't going to actually use the concept, they should have called them something else.

Charlie Murphy was an interesting casting choice, which again makes me glad Andrea Romano worked on The Boondocks. She has built up a TON of connections over the years, and whenever she does a TV show she just crushes it in the casting department. Good stuff.

Loved the Red Room Twin Peaks backwards talking stuff too. Did Mikey even know what he was referencing?

The end imagination fight was a great place to catch freeze frame Easter Eggs. I am saddened to realize this has been Ice Cream Kitty's only appearance this season.

Renet's visage reminded me of something: shouldn't the Turtles realize they are gonna win? Because if the Earth WAS destroyed, Renet wouldn't exist. It was the Black Hole Generator that messed up time, not the Turtles. Renet means they are going to win.

The Cantina scene was underwhelming too, especially since it was one of the most memorable Turtles In Space moments in the comic. Maybe a cartoon simply can't do justice to the premise, and it only works in comic books and Star Wars. Although I seem to recall David Tennant checking into a pretty cool cantina during "The End Of Time, Part Two". And then he regenerated into the Fugitoid.

Their spaceship being shaped like a classic car doesn't cut it. This show did wrong by the Neutrinos. ***.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2016 12:56 pm 
not exactly street legal

Adolescent Alien Warrior Terrapins "The Arena Of Carnage"
Hearing David Tennant say "Booyah-Kasha!" is just as amusing as you might think.

The episode did some things right and some things wrong. I like that they remembered to have the scene of the Turtle going into a deep sleep meditation to combat airlessness, but I think the gladiator games were funnier when they were a satire of boxing matches, including sportscaster Triceratons in the announcer booth. I also miss the hilarious gag of the Emperor accidently being assassinated when the Turtles take him hostage. The gladiator games in the Turtles comic were a black comedy. I kind of miss the subversive aspects of the story.

Still, it was not bad. ***1/2.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 3:59 am 
not exactly street legal

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles "The War For Dimnesion X"
Epic. I liked it.

I liked that the entire Utrom Council was named after chess pieces. I love that there IS a good Irma Utrom who is basically a radiant goddess. And most of all, I love that Gilbert Gottfried has grown into his role as Kraang Subprime (Knight?). Gottfried was always genius stunt casting for the "real" Irma, but I think this episode showed a confidence and depth to his performance that simply wasn't there in the second and third seasons. It's not just that Subprime is cruel that is fascinating. He is sadistic. He enjoys causing pain and misery. Gleefully telling the Salamanderians their new home is his dungeon shows a real malevolence to the character. Which shows why he is probably a really bad fit for the hivemind, and for the Utroms too, for that matter.

I loved finally getting the real origin story of the Utroms and the Kraang. Frankly, it was better than I was ever expecting. I kind of expected them to half-@$$ it, since the Utroms seemed to appear out of nowhere at the end of season 3, and mostly seemed designed to placate enraged comic fans. But I think the mythology fits really well together, and as if the Utroms could have been part of the plan from the beginning. I'm not stupid enough to believe they were, but the writers mostly kept their stories straight.

I am still amazed Cassandra Peterson is Mrs. Campbell. Whenever I see Elvira on television, her voice is the last thing I pay attention to. And yet, Andrea Romano was able to coax out a really good performance. Genius casting like that is another reason Andrea Romano is national treasure. She is to cartoon voices as Molly Ivins was to politics.

Raph making out with Mona Lisa is pretty much the farthest a Turtle has ever gotten with a girl. And I kind of now see why. It's creepy and disturbing. Less, please.

Very cool nonetheless. ****1/2.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2016 5:33 pm 
not exactly street legal

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles "The Cosmic Ocean"
The aliens were forgettable, Lord Dregg is strictly Turtles D-list, and even if the transforming robot shark guy is still kinda cool, he's also not really a proper Turtleverse character.

Still, David Tenannt is always welcome as the Fugitoid. But this season's a bust. **.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 12:53 pm 
not exactly street legal

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles "Trans-dimensional Turtles"
Very interesting. I'm not going to say it was better than the 4Kids TV Turtles Forever, but it was definitely better in SOME ways. While the last movie was definitely more epic, this one seemed to treat the original series better. Turtles Forever treated the 1987 Turtles like complete jokes. They kind of are in reality, but this episode took the interesting tack of making the 1987 versions seem legitimate. Which is weird because "Wormquake" did not do that by a longshot. This is the crossover I wanted, that Wormquake did not deliver.

Speaking of Wormquake, does Tiger Claw showing up hint either that he destroys the original Turtles, or that it is the original Turtles who are responsible for him losing his eye? I hope it's the latter and the original Turtles show up again. Although if they poked out his eye, it would be weird because they've never hurt anyone before. But the worm splitting open and covering them with gore might have made them realize the old rules didn't apply with Tiger Claw.

The Turtle Prime Universe here is different than the Turtles Forever Turtle Prime universe in that instead of being a black and white cartoon, it operates like a black and white comic. This means one of three things: 1 The Primeverse seen in Turtles Forever is not the actual Primeverse (which was actually hinted at in Turtles Forever, with comic book Shredder making an appearance, despite being killed off in the first issue of the original comic). 2. The 2003 Turtles are not canon with this series. 3. The different style is just a stylistic choice on the producer's part with no larger significance. I'm betting it's the first one, but the third is not out of the realm of possibility. But because of the multiverse Turtles Forever set-up, I'm pretty sure it mean 2003 Turtles are canon with this show, and every other incarnation save The Next Mutation. Plus, 2012 also has a Hun, a character created exclusively for the 2003 show, which hints that the 2003 version is still a legit part of the Multiverse (that also contains the original movie trilogy, the Archie Comics, and the CGI TMNT movie.)

Why didn't the Turtle Prime Universe Turtles speak? Is it because they didn't get the voices from Turtles Forever? But Turtles Forever had different voices for the 80's Turtles, so maybe not. Maybe because in this version of the Prime Turtleverse, if they spoke it would come out in word bubbles too.

I haven't heard Pat Fraley getting voice over work in decades. Frankly, I'm surprised he's still alive.

Interesting to point out that 2012 Splinter is taller than the Turtles, while 1987 Splinter is shorter than his versions. 2003 Splinter was shorter than his Turtles too.

Is the new movie canon with the rest of the Turtles Multiverse? Considering the Megan Fox reference in this episode, I'm betting not. I think that was this series' way of cutting ties with that inferior version completely.

If Irma exists in the 2-D Turtleverse, and the Krang from the original series (who for some reason misspelled his name back in the 80's) is part of the same Dimension X as Kraang Subprime, where did the idea for the Utroms creating the Irmabots come from? Because it seems like a pretty random coincidence.

The original Krang's body DID look like a big baby (as cool as it looked). I also liked our Turtles making fun of the initials on the belt buckles, and 80's Raph giving our Donnie a hard time because of his voice. And no, the 80's Turtles never actually fought with their weapons.

I loved that 80's Leo eventually got self-conscious about the Turtle Power thing because our Turtles made fun of it. That is a very realistic moment, and gives the 80's Turtles a reality and relateability they didn't have before.

I loved this episode for the questions it raised about the Turtles Forever Turtleverse. *****.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 6:34 am 
not exactly street legal

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles "Revenge Of The Triceratons"
How do we know these are space Gremlins? One of them exploded in a microwave! Sick!

I like that unlike the cartoons from previous seasons, the Turtles seem to hate the Chris Bradford one. Their tastes are improving.

I was bummed the Triceratons got the two Black Hole Generator pieces. I feel like we've lost forward momentum.

That Triceraton who expressed reluctance to use the virus interested me. He had similar regrets about the mind reader in last season's finale. Is it possible he will wind up switching sides?

Mozar seems to be losing his mind. He seems more deranged here than usual.

When did David Tennant start saying "Bloop bloop!"? I wouldn't have noticed it if he had been doing it all along, but I think this is the first episode where Fugitoid has had that particular quirk.

Okay. ***.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2016 11:22 pm 
not exactly street legal

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles "The Evil Of Dregg"
Dregg is a robot? To quote "Johnny Cochran": "That does NOT make sense!" Look at the monkey!

I loved how David Tennant played the moment of being dumbfounded by the idea of coming up with a cure for a deadly venom on the spot that no-one has ever been able to, and then joyfully saying "Sure, I can do that!" Tennant used to do that quite frequently as the Doctor on Doctor Who, and I always called those his Regis Philbin moments. Next Fugitoid will tell Donatello he won a million dollars. I'm betting they specifically wrote that moment because Tennant was cast. Because that's Ten's most lovable quirk, and it was adorable to see Honeycutt do it.

I hate Casey with a passion. Donnie gets deformed and seriously injured, and his first instinct is to laugh. And yeesh, we get it, everything's metal. Maybe shut up about it for a few decades or so. You might like it.

"The Explorer's Guide To The Universe?" This show isn't even trying.

Speaking of not trying, I groaned at Raphael claiming that he trusted Mona Lisa more than anyone else in the universe. It sure sounds dramatic and epic, but I thought to myself, "That cannot possibly be true, and if it is, Raphael is DUMB." He trusts her more than his brothers? Splinter? And haven't they only met twice before? I think Raphael the Ninja Turtle should pretty much be the last character to turn into an emo Mary Sue, but the writers of this show cannot help themselves. It embarrasses me a bit, to be honest.

Loved Dregg trying to eat Donnie. I was like "That's new!". And then he's a robot and it's back to making no sense.

A mixed bag this week. ***.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 5:08 pm 
not exactly street legal

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles "The Ever-Burning Fire"

Eh. Not impressed. Next week looks boss though. **1/2.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 6:03 pm 
not exactly street legal

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles "Earth's Last Stand"
My intitial reaction is intense dislike. I get that this show is for kids and purposefully makes the Turtles immature so kids can relate and learn along with them, but I kind of hate rooting for stupid people, and the Turtles qualify.

Leo is an idiot for suspecting Fugitoid wanted the generator for himself. And it steams me that nobody ever pointed out that the idea made no sense and didn't hold up to scrunity. They just argue Fugitoid has saved their lives, and is trying to change, and everyone deserves a second chance. No, that isn't what proves the Fugitoid is on their side.

It's the fact that he fessed up in the first place. The end of the episode hints there may have been a larger reason for that. Maybe he thought if the Turtles hated him, his sacrifice would be easier for them. I cannot speak to his motives about that. What I CAN say is that his confession was entirely unnecessary. He didn't need to give it for the mission to work. Which shows he's sincere. He had nothing to gain by confessing that. If he was truly after the generator and didn't care about the Turtles, he WOULDN'T confess that. He specifically notes he waited because he wanted the Turtles to trust and like him first. Fugitoid's mistake is thinking the Turtles are better and more reasonable people than they actually are.

Why is Leo mad anyways? Earth has NOT been destroyed yet, and yet it came much closer than it needed to be because the Turtles had to waste time rescuing Leo. The Turtles had every advantage going into that final battle because they knew exactly what their initial mistakes were and when, and because of Leo, they totally squandered that edge. Sure, they won anyways. But it never should have been that close. Ever. Even IF the Tricerons got the Generator back. Because the Turtles knew the solution already. And now because of Leo, they only had an extra five minutes to implement it. And what if Splinter hadn't turned his head? Don't you think it would have been MUCH safer to be able to return in enough time to give him a head's up that Shredder would kill him? The worst part of the Turtles in Space arc is the fact that I knew their mission to stop the Triceratons building the weapon would ultimately fail. Because the show would OBVIOUSLY want to return to the events of the finale to see the Turtles correct their mistakes. So, in reality, Fugitoid didn't need to take them six months back in time to stop the Triceratons. That was pointless. He just needed to get them back six hours. And because of that fact, I now feel like the entire 13 episode arc is a complete waste. And that bums me out.

Was there anything I liked? Yes, actually. I was very happy that the show found a good resolution for what to do with the second pair of Turtles, Casey, and April. They solved the paradox of the resolved timeline by simply stating that just because OUR Turtles stopped the Triceratons to restore the timeline, doesn't mean the other Turtles wouldn't have to do the same thing to make it stick. And the restored timeline is cooler. And you can tell that Honeycutt knows what is going on, and that it was his plan all along. I liked that moment. Very Doc Brown at the end of Back To The Future III. But that is pretty much the only thing I liked. The Turtles are very stupid and unlikable so-called heroes. I'll be happy when things go back to normal in the next episode. *.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2016 8:55 pm 
not exactly street legal

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles "City At War"
Suffice it to say, that was nothing like the comics. It wasn't bad, but they should have called it something else.

Still, I cannot tell you how glad I am the main title is back. Those overwrought Turtles In Space recaps were getting tiring. I just want to hum along to the Turtles theme.

Pretty good for what it was. ***.

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles "Broken Foot"
Burning the money at the beginning was genius. Because that means the Foot can never get it back. As long is it still exists, it's a loose end. This is probably why The Black Knight from the Don Rosa Uncle Scrooge comics is probably Scrooge McDuck's most horrible nemesis of all. Destroying the money is something you cannot come back from. Ever.

I liked how dire the climax was, but I had mixed feelings about Karai healing her face using skin shedding powers. On the one hand, it's a REALLY cool power. I mean, super cool. Girl's practically Wolverine with that. However, it is also a cop-out. If she had kept the scar, it would have meant something. That she had made a sacrifice. That she had paid for her sins. Instantly being healed means no price has ultimately been paid for her foolishness. Which is ironic because the show mutates characters as punishment all the time. Would it be to much to ask for a "real" change to her character design to actually show growth?

Love Leo's new costume. I hope the other Turtles get similar makeovers in the coming weeks. It is bad@$$ in the way the lame Vision Quest or passable Spacesuit costumes are not. They are a variant worth buying at the toy store.

Mixed bag this week. **1/2.

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles "The Insecta Trifecta"
This was dumb and badly written. Those cops mistaking bug monsters for hippies shows about the level of intelligence of the writers.

And yet... I cannot deny the Ninja Grapplers are incredibly cool. I question how each other the Turtles can expertly handle such a complicated weapon so flawlessly on the first go, but the visuals are cool enough that that is a plothole I'm willing to overlook. I liked Mikey's Turflytle fake-out ("I'm in your head now, fool!") and his observation that his role was to bring sanity to the team.

But seriously, this was dumb. But the Ninja Grapples make me forgive a lot. **1/2.

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles "Mutant Gangland"
What I just saw was awesome. I will stipulate that. It was awesome for what it was. But I kind of think if they had done a few things differently, it would have easily wound up the best episode of the series. And it wasn't by a longshot.

Really, I shouldn't be nitpicking or complaining about that, but I'm gonna.

The TV-Y7 rating is killing this show. Because the Don is easily the most dangerous villain the Turtles have ever faced. The only thing he wants is their destruction. And as with all bigots, he cannot be reasoned with. He is one of those villains the Turtles should be okay with using lethal force against. He is THAT dangerous, and answers to no-one. But because this is a kids show, they can't actually have the Turtles do what actually needs to be done in this particular scenario. The Don is a maniac whose sole purpose is indiscriminately killing all mutants. He's basically Bin Laden, and I can't help wishing the Turtles were a team of Navy Seals in this scenario. Donnie cheers when he flies away at the end, but he really shouldn't. The problem has not been solved. I even would have accepted the idea that he was either put in prison, or taken captive by the Mutanimals. "The Bad Guy Gets Away" Saturday morning ending has never felt more unearned or unsatisfying.

The second reason the TV-Y7 rating sucks is the Don says one of the Turtles is "down" and the other Turtles react with horror as if something terrible was happening. And I get what they were trying to go for, but "down" can mean many things. I think the Nick censors should have allowed the producers to say "dead" just this once, especially because he wasn't really, and the audience already knew that.

The third complaint I have is something they still could have fixed on a TV-Y7 rating. Where are Shredder's goons? They are equally at risk from this threat (Karai and April too) and they have legit reason to team up with the Turtles. And the Turtles knowing how their last team-up with Team Shredder during the Triceraton invasion went would make the stakes and drama extra high. Can Tiger Claw be reasoned with if that lunatic Shredder isn't ready to destroy the world for his vengeance? That is the question I wish had been asked this episode. To be fair, it might come up in a future episode, which is the ONLY good thing about the Don getting away.

"We don't talk about Pigeon Pete." Deep line. First off, I don't frequent Turtles message boards or anything, but I have to imagine Pete was probably the most unpopular Turtles character since Venus De Milo from Next Mutation or Starly from Fast Forward. There is just nothing about that dude that doesn't suck, from his repulsive character design, to his personality cribbed from Jar-Jar Binks. So I'm betting the producers got a LOT of negative feedback about him, especially the insane decision to make him a founding member of the Mutantimals, and that line is the producers' way of saying "The fans were right. Let's move on." That's what I think that line meant. Making Mondo his obvious replacement seems a mea culpa that this is what they should have done all along.

But there is another thing the line COULD have meant. Because if Pigeon Pete had died, Slash would have just said so so the Turtles could mourn him. That line suggests to me that Pete TURNED, and betrayed the Mutanimals, possibly because he was evil all along. The producers might take the tack the Scooby Doo movies did with the equally hated Scrappy Doo and wind up making him an Ultimate Evil as punishment for how much he sucks. I'm not saying they'll do that. But that line means they CAN do it if they want.

God, I enjoyed every minute of this. And spent every minute wishing I could enjoy it more than I did. ****.