It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 12:06 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: John Carter
PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 8:21 pm 
Editor Emeritus of SDCC

John Carter Loses Mars

Source: ComingSoon

May 23, 2011

Formerly titled John Carter of Mars, Andrew Stanton's live action debut will now be released under the shorter title, John Carter, Walt Disney Pictures has confirmed.

Starring Taylor Kitsch as the titular lead, the film is based on Edgar Rice Burrough's science fiction series which sees Civil War veteran John Carter transported to the world of Barsoom (the Martian word for their own planet) where he becomes caught up between the different races of warriors who inhabit the red desert.

The title John Carter of Mars is actually that of the final book in the series. The first, which is said to the primary basis for the film, was published under the name A Princess of Mars (and originally serialized as Under the Moons of Mars).

Also starring Lynn Collins, Samantha Morton, Mark Strong, Ciaran Hinds, Dominic West, James Purefoy, Daryl Sabara, Polly Walker, Bryan Cranston, Thomas Hayden Church and Willem Dafoe, John Carter is planned for release on March 9, 2012.

Post subject: Re: John Carter
PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 9:21 am 
Editor Emeritus of SDCC

The Teaser Poster for John Carter

Source: ComingSoon

June 15, 2011

iTunes Movie Trailers has debuted the first poster for Disney's John Carter, directed by Andrew Stanton (WALL•E, Finding Nemo) and opening in theaters on March 9, 2012.

John Carter is based on a classic novel by Edgar Rice Burroughs, whose highly imaginative adventures served as inspiration for many filmmakers, both past and present. The film tells the story of war-weary, former military captain John Carter (Taylor Kitsch), who is inexplicably transported to Mars where he becomes reluctantly embroiled in a conflict of epic proportions amongst the inhabitants of the planet, including Tars Tarkas (Willem Dafoe) and the captivating Princess Dejah Thoris (Lynn Collins). In a world on the brink of collapse, Carter rediscovers his humanity when he realizes that the survival of Barsoom and its people rests in his hands.

Samantha Morton, Mark Strong, Ciaran Hinds, Dominic West, James Purefoy, Daryl Sabara, Polly Walker, Bryan Cranston and Thomas Hayden Church co-star.

Click the poster for a bigger version!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 9:21 pm 
Editor Emeritus of SDCC

From IGN:

John Carter's Star Wars Problem

Andrew Stanton on his mission to Mars.

June 17, 2011

The seminal 1917 novel A Princess of Mars by Edgar Rice Burroughs has served as an inspiration for countless, subsequent sci-fi books and films. Now Disney and Wall-E director Andrew Stanton are bringing the novel to the big screen as the 2012 3D epic, John Carter (aka John Carter of Mars).

The Los Angeles Times chatted with Stanton about the film -- which stars Taylor Kitsch, Lynn Collins, Willem Dafoe, Thomas Haden Church and Mark Strong -- about the dilemma facing John Carter. Even though it's the granddaddy of modern sci-fi, how can John Carter not seem derivative in light of Star Wars and Avatar borrowing elements from it for its own mythos?

"I'm just as much a fan of all that stuff as anyone, so I didn't want to repeat anything and I didn't want to go exactly to where other people had gone. And I certainly recognize the influences coming directly or indirectly from people like Edgar Rice Burroughs," said Stanton. "But I haven't felt the satisfaction [from the other works] that the thumbprint or the identity of the Barsoom books … [gave me] as a kid. I still felt like there was a flavor or a shading or a color that could still feel fresh or special. None of this is in reaction to those other movies. I want to come to everything honestly."

Stanton continued, "If at the end of the day the dust settles and it's very similar to another movie, then I can live with that if it came there honestly. But my big thing is this: There were so many personal fantasies that were fulfilled or cathartically found by fans through those books — in other words, they used the books as a conduit to their own fantasies and the things in their own head.

The filmmaker said that "because I know this book was so much the source material, directly or indirectly, for so many things, I got intrigued by the idea of treating it as if it really was the source material in the historical sense of the term. What if this really happened? That kind of opened my eyes. I suddenly had a fresh way to see it. And it goes back, in a way, to the way we take things in when [we were young readers]. When I was a kid I really wanted to imagine it as if it was a real sequence of events that took place on the surface of Mars in another century."

John Carter opens March 9, 2012.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 4:03 pm 
Editor Emeritus of SDCC

The Teaser Trailer for John Carter Debuts!

By SuperHeroHype

Jul 14th, 2011

Walt Disney Pictures has debuted the first trailer for director Andrew Stanton's John Carter, starring Taylor Kitsch, Lynn Collins, Samantha Morton, Mark Strong, Ciaran Hinds, Dominic West, James Purefoy, Daryl Sabara, Polly Walker, Bryan Cranston, with Thomas Haden Church and Willem Dafoe.

Opening in theaters on March 9, 2012, John Carter is based on a classic novel by Edgar Rice Burroughs, whose highly imaginative adventures served as inspiration for many filmmakers, both past and present. The film tells the story of war-weary, former military captain John Carter (Kitsch), who is inexplicably transported to Mars where he becomes reluctantly embroiled in a conflict of epic proportions amongst the inhabitants of the planet, including Tars Tarkas (Dafoe) and the captivating Princess Dejah Thoris (Collins). In a world on the brink of collapse, Carter rediscovers his humanity when he realizes that the survival of Barsoom and its people rests in his hands.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 8:49 am 
proverbial old fart

The BIG announcement showed up on my computer this weekend and I finally looked at it today. Okay, it looks good, but I was under the impression Pixar was going to do this in 2012/13.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 5:38 pm 
Editor Emeritus of SDCC

Marvel and Disney Announce John Carter: World of Mars

By SuperHeroHype

July 18, 2011

Peter David and Luke Ross to team for the comic book prequel

Walt Disney pictures has revealed, through Comic Book Resources, their plans for a prequel to their upcoming John Carter, to be published by Marvel Comics.

The film version, hitting theaters on March 9, 2012, marks the live-action debut of director Andrew Stanton who brings to the screen the Edgar Rice Burroughs novels, which celebrate their centennial next year. The film stars Taylor Kitsch as the title hero and Lynn Collins as the Martian Princess Deja Thoris with roles for Samantha Morton, Mark Strong, Ciaran Hinds, Dominic West, James Purefoy, Daryl Sabara, Polly Walker, Bryan Cranston, Thomas Hayden Church and Willem Dafoe as well.

The prequel, entitled "John Carter: Worlds of Mars" will run as a four-issue miniseries by Peter David and Luke Ross. Launching this October, it will feature the diverse characters of Burroughs' worlds in adventures that set the stage for the film version, going back as far as fifty years before the events of John Carter.

If you haven't already seen it, click here to check out the film's teaser trailer and take a look at the comic book series' official cover art below.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 10:42 pm 
Editor Emeritus of SDCC

A New John Carter TV Spot Has Arrived

by SuperHeroHype

January 13, 2012

A new TV spot for Walt Disney Pictures' John Carter is now online and can be watched using the player below.

Directed by Andrew Stanton, the big screen adaptation of the classic novel by Edgar Rice Burroughs hits 3D, 2D and IMAX 3D theaters on March 9. The film features a cast that includes Taylor Kitsch, Lynn Collins, Samantha Morton, Mark Strong, Ciaran Hinds, Dominic West, James Purefoy, Daryl Sabara, Polly Walker, Bryan Cranston, Thomas Hayden Church and Willem Dafoe.

John Carter tells the story of war-weary, former military captain John Carter (Kitsch), who is inexplicably transported to Mars where he becomes reluctantly embroiled in a conflict of epic proportions amongst the inhabitants of the planet, including Tars Tarkas (Dafoe) and the captivating Princess Dejah Thoris (Collins). In a world on the brink of collapse, Carter rediscovers his humanity when he realizes that the survival of Barsoom and its people rests in his hands.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:16 pm 
Editor Emeritus of SDCC

Catch a Sneak Peek of the John Carter Super Bowl Ad

by SuperHeroHype

January 30, 2012

Walt Disney Pictures has released a sneak peek at their upcoming John Carter TV spot that will premiere during this Sunday's Super Bowl. Check it out in the player below and catch the full ad on February 5th along with a chance to win a trip to next year's big game.

Viewers who are interested in entering the "John Carter Journey to the Super Bowl" sweepstakes should tune into the game and watch for the John Carter commercial. During the airing of the 30-second spot, a code will be revealed. Viewers can then go to NFL.com/JohnCarter and input the code to be entered in the sweepstakes.

Directed by Andrew Stanton, the big screen adaptation of the classic novel by Edgar Rice Burroughs hits 3D, 2D and IMAX 3D theaters on March 9. The film features a cast that includes Taylor Kitsch, Lynn Collins, Samantha Morton, Mark Strong, Ciaran Hinds, Dominic West, James Purefoy, Daryl Sabara, Polly Walker, Bryan Cranston, Thomas Hayden Church and Willem Dafoe.

John Carter tells the story of war-weary, former military captain John Carter (Kitsch), who is inexplicably transported to Mars where he becomes reluctantly embroiled in a conflict of epic proportions amongst the inhabitants of the planet, including Tars Tarkas (Dafoe) and the captivating Princess Dejah Thoris (Collins). In a world on the brink of collapse, Carter rediscovers his humanity when he realizes that the survival of Barsoom and its people rests in his hands.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:28 pm 
Editor Emeritus of SDCC

John Carter Reveals New Concept Art

by SuperHeroHype

January 31, 2012

Quite a few brand-new pieces of concept art for Walt Disney Pictures' John Carter are now online, courtesy of It's Art Magazine. Check a few of them out below, including early looks at the characters played by Mark Strong and Dominic West.

Please be aware, the last image could be considered a minor spoiler.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 6:31 pm 
Editor Emeritus of SDCC

The Extended John Carter Super Bowl Spot

by SuperHeroHype

February 05, 2012

Walt Disney Pictures debuted a new spot for John Carter during the Super Bowl and you can watch the extended version using the player below! Opening in 3D, 2D and IMAX 3D theaters on March 9, the Andrew Stanton-directed adaptation stars Taylor Kitsch, Lynn Collins, Samantha Morton, Mark Strong, Ciaran Hinds, Dominic West, James Purefoy, Daryl Sabara, Polly Walker, Bryan Cranston, Thomas Hayden Church and Willem Dafoe.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 8:32 am 
Armored Avenger of Arduous Aspirations

I smell a turd . . .

That Superbowl ad just didn't work for me.

Degrading this to "I'll see it if it gets good reviews."

Trade Rating +55 and counting

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 8:35 am 
proverbial old fart

Shellhead wrote:
I smell a turd . . .

That Superbowl ad just didn't work for me.

Degrading this to "I'll see it if it gets good reviews."

Explain.

What exactly turned you off to the film? :?:

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 10:19 am 
Armored Avenger of Arduous Aspirations

The CGI needs a serious upgrade. The dialogue was hokey. And it's coming across as Conan meets BEMs.

Plus isn't Mars supposed to be RED?

And although the source material predates it, I'm getting a huge "Avatar Rip Off" vibe from the trailers.

We'll see where it stands in a month. It'll have to get at least 70% on RT for me to plunk down the cash.

Trade Rating +55 and counting

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 10:27 am 
Disney is not his cup of tea

Shellhead wrote:
And it's coming across as Conan meets BEMs.

That is the John Carter books though... Edgar only knew one character type and even Dejah Thoris is just a Jane archetype, always landing herself in trouble... to blame it for being what it is doesn't seem fair. :lol:

Tarzan came first, followed by John and then Conan, so if anything Conan is just John Carter on Earth.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 11:06 am 
proverbial old fart

[quote="Shellhead"]And although the source material predates it, I'm getting a huge "Avatar Rip Off" vibe from the trailers.quote]

When I saw Avatar, I thought it's a remake of Dances with Wolves with giant blue cats...