Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 4:25 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Re: John Carter
PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 11:14 am 
Aspires to be #1

I thought Avatar and this movie looked bad. I still haven't seen Avatar and I won't be seeing this either. At least not until FX is playing one of them and I'm literally too tired to change the channel haha.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 12:01 pm 
5" Scale

With this one I want to like it because of the source material, but I'm definitely taking a wait and watch approach.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 12:03 pm 
Disney is not his cup of tea

Nah, Avatar is Pocahontas!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 6:24 pm 
Editor Emeritus of SDCC

Check Out a New John Carter International Featurette

by SuperHeroHype

February 13, 2012

Walt Disney Pictures has just released a brand-new international featurette for their upcoming John Carter, coming to 3D, 2D and IMAX 3D theaters on March 9.

Directed by Andrew Stanton, the film stars Taylor Kitsch, Lynn Collins, Samantha Morton, Mark Strong, Ciaran Hinds, Dominic West, James Purefoy, Daryl Sabara, Polly Walker, Bryan Cranston, Thomas Hayden Church and Willem Dafoe.

John Carter tells the story of war-weary, former military captain John Carter (Kitsch), who is inexplicably transported to Mars where he becomes reluctantly embroiled in a conflict of epic proportions amongst the inhabitants of the planet, including Tars Tarkas (Dafoe) and the captivating Princess Dejah Thoris (Collins). In a world on the brink of collapse, Carter rediscovers his humanity when he realizes that the survival of Barsoom and its people rests in his hands.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 2:10 am 
Editor Emeritus of SDCC

John Carter to Offer Exclusive Mondo Poster

by SuperHeroHype

February 21, 2012

With just over two weeks left before Edgar Rice Burrough's classic sci-fi hero, John Carter, arrives in theaters, The LA Times has announced a that fans who attend IMAX 3D midnight screenings on March 9th (the night of March 8th) will receive the below exclusive Mondo poster, designed by J.C. Richard.

Directed by Andrew Stanton, the film features a cast that includes Taylor Kitsch, Lynn Collins, Samantha Morton, Mark Strong, Ciaran Hinds, Dominic West, James Purefoy, Daryl Sabara, Polly Walker, Bryan Cranston, Thomas Hayden Church and Willem Dafoe.

John Carter tells the story of war-weary, former military captain John Carter (Kitsch), who is inexplicably transported to Mars where he becomes reluctantly embroiled in a conflict of epic proportions amongst the inhabitants of the planet, including Tars Tarkas (Dafoe) and the captivating Princess Dejah Thoris (Collins). In a world on the brink of collapse, Carter rediscovers his humanity when he realizes that the survival of Barsoom and its people rests in his hands.

Click on the image below for a larger version!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 3:41 pm 
Editor Emeritus of SDCC

The Final Trailer for John Carter!

Source: ComingSoon

February 28, 2012

Walt Disney Pictures has debuted the final trailer for John Carter (via iTunes Movie Trailers) which you can watch using the player below!

From Academy Award–winning filmmaker Andrew Stanton comes John Carter - a sweeping action-adventure set on the mysterious and exotic planet of Barsoom (Mars). The March 9 release is based on a classic novel by Edgar Rice Burroughs, whose highly imaginative adventures served as inspiration for many filmmakers, both past and present. The film tells the story of war-weary, former military captain John Carter (Taylor Kitsch), who is inexplicably transported to Mars where he becomes reluctantly embroiled in a conflict of epic proportions amongst the inhabitants of the planet, including Tars Tarkas (Willem Dafoe) and the captivating Princess Dejah Thoris (Lynn Collins). In a world on the brink of collapse, Carter rediscovers his humanity when he realizes that the survival of Barsoom and its people rests in his hands.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 1:31 pm 
5th Horseman

I'm looking forward to this and I thought Avatar rocked, hard to please somepeople.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 3:10 pm 
Resin

Went to an IMAX 3D prescreening of this and LOVED it! Don't let the trailers/bad marketing dissuade you. There is SO much more to the film than the arena fight they keep focusing on.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 8:57 pm 
"You can set your clock to his haircut"

It is a shame that there is no toy line for this movie.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 12:40 pm 
5" Scale

10 Minutes of the movie have been released by Disney. Here is a link. My plan is to go and watch this next week when it comes out. I've heard some good buzz around other boards. I do agree it would have been nice to see a toy line on this, but I'm afraid Disney would go on the cheap if they had done it or hired someone to do it.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 4:22 pm 
5th Horseman

I disagree look at the Prince of Persia figures that where out, they were pretty decent, and I am not sure if disney did the Narnia movies, those figures were cool, and also the Pirates of the Caribbean are cool figures.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 1:43 am 
serves the Otter

Location: Planet Reach, Coolsville, Metropolis, or Crystal Cove. It depends on the day.
I absolutely hated Avatar, (that movie was IMO, a very un-original and lame movie.) But this movie... rocked! It was very fun, the acting was great all around, as was the cast who did the acting, lol. The movie also had some incredible special FX, the story was very engaging and kept you wanting more. The ending was very good too and did not disappoint or fall short. All in all, everything fit and flowed very well, I give it 5 stars!

I want to go and see it again in 3D, seriously, this movie was great! :)

D.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 10:32 am 
5" Scale

I'm going to go see this myself. Might do a double feature and watch this and Phantom Menace since I can't find a decent showing for the 2D version. Was hoping to see this that way, but they are pushing 3D hard in my area for some reason.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 10:50 pm 
serves the Otter

Location: Planet Reach, Coolsville, Metropolis, or Crystal Cove. It depends on the day.
The_Donster wrote:
I'm going to go see this myself. Might do a double feature and watch this and Phantom Menace since I can't find a decent showing for the 2D version. Was hoping to see this that way, but they are pushing 3D hard in my area for some reason.

Yeah I was very lucky, my local theater had 2 or 3 auditoriums for this and one was in 2D. :)

D.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 10:13 am 
Editor Emeritus of SDCC

Box Office Update: John Carter Wins Friday But Loses Weekend

Source: ComingSoon

March 10, 2012

With a lot of concern going into the weekend about its reported production budget, Disney's John Carter was still able to win Friday with a estimated $9.8 million, though it's likely to lose the weekend to Dr. Seuss' The Lorax, which came in just behind it with $9.6 million and is likely to have a bigger bump on Saturday. We project John Carter could end up somewhere between $27 and 29 million for the weekend but The Lorax will probably end up over $40 million.

Opening in roughly 2,100 theaters, the one-take horror movie Silent House, starring Elizabeth Olsen, brought in $2.6 million in 2,124 theaters, but its reported "F" CinemaScore (which is almost as rare as getting an A+) does not bode well for its future or having positive word-of-mouth. That should probably end up with around $6.5 million for the weekend.

Eddie Murphy's long-delayed comedy A Thousand Words opened in even fewer theaters and brought in just $1.9 million on Friday, which means it's shooting for the same $5 to 5.5 million range as Meet Dave and Imagine That.

CBS FIlms' Salmon Fishing in the Yemen brought in roughly $58 thousand in 18 theaters in select cities on Friday and will probably do just under $200 thousand for the weekend.

Check back on Sunday for our full box office report.