It is currently Sat Nov 22, 2014 8:45 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: ABC Eyes Star Wars TV Series
PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 1:12 am 
Editor Emeritus of SDCC

ABC Eyes Star Wars TV Series

by SuperHeroHype

January 10, 2013

It's been some time since there was last an update on the proposed live-action "Star Wars" television series. Today, EW reports that, with the property now owned by Walt Disney, ABC has a tentative interest in bringing a galaxy far, far away to the small screen.

“We’d love to do something with Lucasfilm," ABC Entertainment President Paul Lee told the outlet. "We’re not sure what yet... We haven’t even sat down with them. We’re going to look at [the live-action series], we’re going to look at all of them, and see what’s right. We weren’t able to discuss this with them until [the acquisition] closed and it just closed. It’s definitely going to be part of the conversation.”

ABC is already hard at work bringing a major film franchise to television in the form of "Marvel's S.H.I.E.L.D.". Lee says that, while "Star Wars" plans are currently nascent, he could imagine the series going a similar route.

“It’s going to be very much up to the Lucasfilm brands how they want to play it,” he adds. “We got to a point here with Marvel, a very special point, where we’re in the Marvel universe, and very relevantly so, but we’re not doing 'The Avengers'. But S.H.I.E.L.D. is part of 'The Avengers'. So maybe something oblique is the way to [approach the Star Wars universe] rather than going straight head-on at it.”

Earlier plans for the "Star Wars" were postponed due to budgetary concerns. It remains to be seen as to how that same issue might affect new plans, but check back for updates as they become available.

Post subject: Re: ABC Eyes Star Wars TV Series
PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 2:35 am 
serves the Otter

Can you imagine a Sunday night line-up of Once Upon A Time, SHIELD, and Star Wars: 1313? That would be crazyawesomesauce.

"I knew we'd made a mistake the minute I saw that little bologna loaf in the hospital bassinet." - Calvin's Dad.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 4:14 am 
Disney is not his cup of tea

You know... I've been hearing about this live action Star Wars series since the end of Episode II. I thought it was actually a reality at the end of Episode III but the cartoon became real instead. However now that Disney owns Star Wars I'm inclined to believe this may be more a reality that talk this time around.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 8:03 am 
Armored Avenger of Arduous Aspirations

Fone Bone wrote:
Can you imagine a Sunday night line-up of Once Upon A Time, SHIELD, and Star Wars: 1313? That would be crazyawesomesauce.

Drop Once Upon A Time and add in Walking Dead, and you'd have a geekasm so big it'd cause California to fall into the sea.

:mrgreen:

Trade Rating +55 and counting

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 10:32 am 
3 3/4"

Van Statten wrote:
You know... I've been hearing about this live action Star Wars series since the end of Episode II. I thought it was actually a reality at the end of Episode III but the cartoon became real instead. However now that Disney owns Star Wars I'm inclined to believe this may be more a reality that talk this time around.

According to the chatter at the last two Celebrations from people who would know (like Ian McDiarmid), the problem was always resources. Lucasfilm never figured out how to deliver the series they wanted to do at the target budget. Now that Disney is behind it, it's all probably more likely.

The question is whether they stick to the time between Episode III and IV for the setting or go somewhere else. Maybe they want to tell some of the stories of what was going on between Return of the Jedi and Episode 7.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 10:38 am 
3 3/4"

Fone Bone wrote:

I saw a demo of 1313 at the last Celebration and, while cool, it didn't grab me. I might have more interest if the rumors are true and one of those demo characters is actually Boba Fett in the final game. Otherwise nothing about it made me care once I got past the initial wow-factor of the game engine. There was nothing that Star Wars-y about it.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 5:53 pm 
Editor Emeritus of SDCC

ABC Discussing Potential Projects with Lucasfilm

by SuperHeroHype

August 05, 2013

Since Disney acquired Lucasfilm, the future has held a lot of potential for great things regarding "Star Wars" and their other franchises. Speaking at their TCA press tour presentation (via Variety), ABC Entertainment President Paul Lee says that there is potential for Lucasfilm properties to find a home on the network.

“We started conversations with them,” Lee said, noting that since the announcement he's had a “glint in his eye” about working with them.

The powers that be at Lucasfilm are currently working on the upcoming Star Wars: Episode VII, which is targeting a 2015 release date, which means that any potential "Star Wars" TV series will likely still be a few years down the road.

What Lucasfilm projects would you like to see on television? Sound off below!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 7:50 am 
Armored Avenger of Arduous Aspirations

A bounty hunter/smuggler show would be very interesting, allowing the characters to deal with both the Rebels and Imperials on a weekly basis, without being beholden to either side. Plus the Star Wars underworld wasn't explored all that much in the films.

Of course, I'd rather have it set during the Rebellion time frame of the first three movies, but they could set it a bit before or a bit after the original trilogy and still get the right vibe.

Trade Rating +55 and counting

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 10:05 pm 
Wonderdog

A show based on the early adventures of Han and Chewbacca... toss in Jabba, Bounty Hunters and the Empire and ya got a decent show.

Webslinger

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 9:09 am 
Still ahead of Mudd

Webslinger wrote:
A show based on the early adventures of Han and Chewbacca... toss in Jabba, Bounty Hunters and the Empire and ya got a decent show.

Webslinger

Im an Expanded Universe guy-- to much out there in my opinion for that to be viable and not throw off even more continuity-- (which I know everyone at this point in the SW universe pretty much just pees all over..)

It can take place in the Star Wars universe- and be characters weve never seen before-- -- take the X-Wing Books for a role model and set it up like the Space: Above and Beyond show premise-- but you can make them go evo on more planet side missions- so you can include the alien races to make it more Star Warsy-- they could even take it in a dark direction and make it the adventures of a Jedi kill team... (which in my opinion would be awesome).