It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 3:10 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: At the Mountains of Madness
PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 1:16 am 
Editor Emeritus of SDCC

Guillermo del Toro Finally Enters the Mountains of Madness

Source: comingsoon.net

July 28, 2010

After nearly two months of anticipation and speculation about what movie Guillermo del Toro will direct next, Deadline has come forward to confirm that Universal has given the go-ahead for del Toro's adaptation of H.P. Lovecraft's At the Mountains of Madness, produced by none other than James Cameron and to be del Toro's first movie shot in 3D. Del Toro has been wanting to make this movie for years, but the inordinate cost to make what could be a difficult R-rated period horror movie held it back, but with Cameron involved and Universal giving the thumbs up, the movie might start filming as early as next summer.

Written way back in 1931, Lovecraft's serialized novella dealt with his famed "Cthulhu Mythos," as a geologist leading an Antarctic expedition finds a huge chain of mountains, and on the other side, they find the remains of ancient uncharted life forms.

Having heard through the grapevine--oh, and rumored on Entertainment Weekly last week--that the H.P. Lovecraft adaptation may finally move forward, ComingSoon.net/ShockTillYouDrop.com decided to ask del Toro about it when we interviewed him at San Diego Comic-Con last week, and he gave us a few exclusive comments essentially on why it's been so difficult getting the movie made:

"What 'Mountains of Madness' is is a throwback to something nobody does anymore, it's tentpole horror," he told us. "Everybody now understands horror as minimum investment, maximum return, and most of the time, they go at it, as production entities, with great cynicism, like 'Let's make it really gory or extreme' and for a very low budget, and recuperate our investment, make money, all that. If you make a horror movie for half a million and it makes 4, they're very happy. The studio sees horror movies as something they will not invest more than $30-40 million. 'Mountains of Madness' needs to be tentpole in the way that the tentpole movies of the past were, about $130 million."

"I remember when I saw 'Alien' and I was absolutely blown away by it," he continued. "I saw John Carpenter's 'The Thing,' I saw Kubrick's 'The Shining.' These were massive movies in a genre that normally doesn't get massive movies. (With) 'Mountains of Madness,' there are two things that I've been battling all these years: period and R-rated, and a very very tough ending, so the studio is very scared of period obviously, he's very scared of the budget and an R-rating, and the first conversation I always have is, 'Does it have to be R?' and I go, 'Yes.' 'Does it have to be period? Does it have to be Antarctica?' 'Yes.'"

"'Mountains' is my dream and we've been pursuing it for thirteen years and I hope it happens," he told us as we wrapped up the conversation.

Well, Guillermo, it looks like your dream is going to come true, and reportedly, they're starting pre-production in the next few months to gear up for shooting the film next summer.

Addendum: One source at Universal has told us that the above is not a done deal just yet, though clearly, del Toro and Cameron are ready to roll forward.

You can watch our full video interview with del Toro over on ShockTillYouDrop.com.

Post subject: Re: At the Mountains of Madness
PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 1:17 am 
Editor Emeritus of SDCC

From IGN:

Cruise Goes Mad

Superstar to head up At the Mountains of Madness?

January 12, 2011

by Scott Collura

Tom Cruise is about to really, truly go mad. Not jumping-on-Oprah's-couch mad, either. We're talking full-on, Lovecraftian madness.

In an item today about how the superstar is lining up the musical Rock of Ages as one of his next projects, Deadline casually mentions that Cruise also "became attached in December to At the Mountains of Madness, which Guillermo del Toro and James Cameron are prepping at Universal." He did?

Apparently he did. Of course, there were those rumors back in September that del Toro wanted Cruise to play geologist William Dyer in the film, though at the time the scuttlebutt indicated that Universal wanted either James McAvoy or Chris Pine for the role. It would seem that del Toro got his way.

Hey, if Guillermo wants Cruise, then so do we…

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 9:13 am 
Editor Emeritus of SDCC

Guillermo del Toro Describes At the Mountains of Madness

Source: ComingSoon

February 1, 2011

The New Yorker has published an extensive piece on Guillermo del Toro written by Daniel Zalewski and culled from several hands-on interactions and interviews spread over the past several years. An impressive piece of work for fans of the artist, the article also touches on a number of projects that will hopefully soon see the light of day, including At the Mountains of Madness and Frankenstein.

In addition to comments from del Toro, the piece features Zalewski's own descriptions of maquettes and production sketches at various stages of development.

"In accordance with Mary Shelley’s description," he writes about one of the Frankenstein designs, " the head appeared to have been stolen from a cadaver: there was exposed sinew around the jaw, and the cheekbones looked ready to poke through the scrim of flesh. Most appallingly, the Creature lacked a nose; a single bridge bone protruded over an oval breathing hole. Torres had been etching deep furrows into the Creature’s forehead, and shaved bits of clay were scattered on his desk, like clippings on a barbershop floor."

Likewise, Zalewski was witness to test footage for the as-of-yet-not-greenlit H.P. Lovecraft adaptation, At the Mountains of Madness. Among many descriptions of the evolving creature design is the following excerpt:

The Shoggoths had a racecar sheen. “They are pristine,” he said. “They are functional. They are not asymmetric. Symmetry is efficiency. And these guys need to be efficient.” He wasn’t sure yet if the Shoggoth palette should be “pearlescent” or “circulatory”—reds and blues. Since the Shoggoths could mutate into anything, there was no fixed silhouette, but many would feature a “protoplasmic bowl,” an abdomen-like area from which new forms could sprout. One maquette was a disorienting twist on classic Lovecraftian form. It looked like a giant octopus head with tentacles jutting from the top and the bottom—a fearful symmetry. “That’s my belly in the middle,” del Toro joked.

The piece also includes del Toro's thoughts on what would have appeared in his version of The Hobbit, right down to a detailed description of the dragon, Smaug (though he does note that the look of Smaug is one of the areas where he and Peter Jackson tended to disagree).

Click here to read the full piece at The New Yorker.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 7:06 pm 
Editor Emeritus of SDCC

Tom Cruise Eyeing At the Mountains of Madness

February 3, 2011

Tom Cruise is likely to play the lead in Guillermo del Toro's At the Mountains of Madness, producer James Cameron revealed to MTV News.

"I don't think we have a deal with him yet," added Cameron, "but we're hoping to get that closed soon. Guillermo is madly working on a new draft of the script. Hopefully we'll be shooting by June or July."

Though the project, officially, has yet to be greenlit, it was revealed earlier this week that del Toro has been hard at work designing creature effects and pitching his R-rated take on the H.P. Lovecraft story.

Cruise, meanwhile, is next slated to appear in Mission: Impossible Ghost Protocol, hitting theaters on December 16th.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 7:46 pm 
Editor Emeritus of SDCC

Grim News for Mountains of Madness Adaptation

Source: ShockTillYouDrop

March 8, 2011

Guillermo del Toro fired off an email to the Criterion Cast last night regarding all of the talk yesterday about At the Mountains of Madness and its shooting status.

When asked if the rumored start date was true, Del Toro responded, "The opposite. Dead."

This confirms Universal was having a hard time dropping an estimated $150 million into an R-rated horror film, in spite of the fact that it may have starred Tom Cruise, was set to be in 3D and was produced by James Cameron.

It's just another hurdle Del Toro has faced with this ambitious project. Will he ever get it made? Further, what will Guillermo do next? Rumors say he might helm Pacific Rim, a Legendary Pictures-production about giant monsters attacking earth.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 8:06 am 
Armored Avenger of Arduous Aspirations

That's really disappointing.

:evil:

Trade Rating +55 and counting

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 8:04 pm 
Editor Emeritus of SDCC

Del Toro Says Prometheus May be the Demise of At the Mountains of Madness

Source: ShockTillYouDrop, ComingSoon

May 7, 2012

Guillermo Del Toro is coming to grips with the fact that his adaptation of H.P. Lovecraft's At the Mountains of Madness is likely never going to happen.

After Hellboy II, it looked like the film was going to be the next directing vehicle for Del Toro, but Universal Pictures pulled the plug on "Madness" over budget problems. Del Toro immediately moved on to Pacific Rim--a giant monster movie for Legendary--leaving a glimmer of hope that maybe, someday, At the Mountains of Madness would happen.

But with Prometheus now on the way, you can pretty much forget about that Lovecraft adaptation. Del Toro took to the message boards of Del Toro Films to explain why. He began with:

"I have been interviewed about this lately and wanted to post my two cents about this:

Prometheus started filming a while ago - right at the time we were in preproduction on PACIFIC RIM. The title itself gave me pause - knowing that ALIEN was heavily influenced by Lovecraft and his novella.

This time, decades later with the budget and place Ridley Scott occupied, I assumed the greek metaphor alluded at the creation aspects of the HPL book. I believe I am right and if so, as a fan, I am delighted to see a new RS science fiction film, but this will probably mark a long pause - if not the demise - of ATMOM.

The sad part is - I have been pursuing ATMOM for over a decade now - and, well, after Hellboy II two projects I dearly loved were not brought to fruition for me.

The good part is: One project did... And I am loving it and grateful for the blessings I have received."

Pressed further about the connections between Madness and Prometheus, he wrote:

"Same premise. Scenes that would be almost identical."

Followed with:

"Both movies seem to share identical set pieces and the exact same BIG REVELATION (twist) at the end. I won't spoil it."

Clearly, Del Toro is privy to information about Ridley Scott's film that the common public does not know, so we'll have to take his word for it on the similarities.

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 10:54 pm 
Disney is not his cup of tea

NNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!

I am a huge Lovecraft fan... I would love to have seen this... even over Prometheus!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 3:34 pm 
Editor Emeritus of SDCC

Guillermo del Toro Still Hopeful for Madness, Hasn't Seen Prometheus

by ShockTillYouDrop

July 16, 2012

Okay, so maybe At the Mountains of Madness wasn't squashed entirely when Universal pulled the plug on Guillermo del Toro's H.P. Lovecraft adaptation over budget issues. The filmmaker is still hopeful that someday it will get made, but it is contingent on, well, many things...beginning with his viewing of Prometheus. Del Toro has voiced concern in the past that his interpretation of "Madness" and Ridley Scott's film might be too similar.

“But I think we may still make it. When I’m brave enough to go and see Prometheus, I’ll know," Del Toro told Empire. "But for now, I don’t know. We are all nothing but human beings. I go to the theatre, I buy my ticket for Prometheus and I go and see something else, because I’m afraid. I’m not a mental entity, I am also emotional, because the ideas are similar, from what I’ve heard and I’ll see it next week, I promise!”

Don't blame Del Toro for not having seen Prometheus yet...he's been at work on a little flick you may have heard of called Pacific Rim.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 6:14 pm 
Disney is not his cup of tea

This is awesome news!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 2:28 pm 
Editor Emeritus of SDCC

Guillermo del Toro is Not Giving Up on At the Mountains of Madness

January 7, 2013

Although the project has met with quite a few hardships, Guillermo del Toro is still determined to bring At the Mountains of Madness to the big screen. Today he told The Playlist that there's still hope for the H.P. Lovecraft adaptation.

"I'm going to try it one more time," del Toro told the site. "Once more into the dark abyss. We're gonna do a big presentation of the project again at the start of the year and see if any [studio's] interested ... Tom is still attached. I think it would be so fantastic to make it with him. He's been such a great ally of the project."

Del Toro had previously expressed concern that the plot for At the Mountains of Madness might be too similar to last summer's Prometheus.

"I saw [Prometheus] finally," he updates. "..yes, there are things in common, but, you know, screw it. Lovecraft was there first."

In the meantime, del Toro fans can look forward to his next project, Pacific Rim. The Kaiju-inspired sci-fi action film hits theaters July 12.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 6:42 pm 
Editor Emeritus of SDCC

Guillermo Del Toro May Get At the Mountains of Madness Made in PG-13

ShockTillYouDrop

July 5th 2014, 8:24 am

In an interview with Guillermo del Toro at the Wall Street Journal, the filmmaker is calling Legendary Pictures "home." And he's hoping the long-mooted At the Mountains of Madness feature film, based on the story by H.P. Lovecraft, will get made there.

He told the outlet…

I said to them, that’s the movie that I would really love to do one day, and it’s still expensive, it’s still … I think that now, with the way I’ve seen PG-13 become more and more flexible, I think I could do it PG-13 now, so I’m going to explore it with [Legendary], to be as horrifying as I can, but to not be quite as graphic. There’s basically one or two scenes in the book that people don’t remember that are pretty graphic. Namely, for example, the human autopsy that the aliens do, which is a very shocking moment. But I think I can find ways of doing it. We’ll see. It’s certainly a possibility in the future. Legendary was very close to doing it at one point, so I know they love the screenplay. So, we’ll see. Hopefully it’ll happen. It’s certainly one of the movies I would love to do.

PG-13 or R…if it gets the movie made without heavily compromising Del Toro's vision, I'm interested in seeing it.

If you recall At the Mountains of Madness has had a bit of a rough go at getting made, even with Tom Cruise attached to star. Universal was going to make the film, but pulled out based on reported budgetary concerns. Now, I wouldn't get your hopes up just yet about all of this. It sounds like Del Toro will be making Pacific Rim 2 before moving forward on the Lovecraft story.