Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Tue Jul 22, 2014 4:29 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 116 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next
 Post subject: (New) Thundercats Ho! Series discussion thread
PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 1:31 pm 
Armored Avenger of Arduous Aspirations

We're only a few hours away, and I'm pretty psyched.

Here's a trip down memory lane for us old-schoolers:

Long Live The Thundercats, and here's hoping the new series doesn't suck! :mrgreen:

Trade Rating +55 and counting

Post subject: Re: (New) Thundercats Ho! Series discussion thread
PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 6:42 pm 

Well, that was something. :mrgreen:

Clearly not your father's Thundercats, but I liked a lot of the changes (and not just Cheetara's increased cup size :oops: ).

Spoiler: show
It takes place in a pseudo-alternate reality of the original series, although they dropped a few subtle hints that the original series could have possibly occurred in the distance past. Aside from the curious absence of Panthro (who hopefully will show up sooner or later), the personalities of the cats are close enough to the originals without being slavish copies. Having the original voice actor for Liono as King Clawdus was a nice touch, and I'll admit to being slightly teary when he said "Thundercats Hoooo!" for what turned out to be the last time. :cry: The action was amped up, but I was kinda surprised at the lack of blood from a PG-TV(V) rated program. I fear the sword will end up being used like Wolverine's claws in cartoons: to slice through everything except living foes where it would make the most sense. :roll: The villains are dangerous (can't wait for Monkian to show up, he's my favorite mutant), and I'm sure Mumm-ra will kill some serious butt once he finally goes EVERLIVING form. And good ol' Lynxo got a cameo!

Some purists might be a little annoyed, but I think most of the changes are for the better (like Snarf not being able to talk). :D Hopefully the Thunderkittens will end up more on the cute side and less on the annoying.

I give the new series an A-, and I'm in for the duration. What did you guys think?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 6:53 pm 
buzz word garbage hater

I didn't see it...I cannot believe they aren't repeating it. That's utter crap.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 7:46 pm 

Well, if it follows Young Justice's pattern, we'll get about 6 or 7 more episodes and the whole thing will repeat itself multiple times. :lol:

But seriously, I bet they'll re-air it sooner rather than later.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 5:13 am 
Infinite Hero

I loved it.

I thought everything was very well done, from the look, animation, writing, voice acting, etc...

It was respectful of the original source material yet it was very much it's own. It had expected moments, and surprises as well.

When "Panthro" killed Claudus I actually gasped, and said "no way!" out loud. They really got me with that moment!

Can't wait 'till the next episode. Really great stuff.

http://www.actionfigureinsider.com/author/jeffcope/

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 7:43 am 
willing to display nerd-rage meltdown for custom subnic

I thoroughly enjoyed it. I thought I would be put off by the animation style, but I'm really digging it now. This is shaping up to be a helluva lot better than I expected. The voice acting was superb in my opinion. I came in with low expectations (I'm looking at you Voltron Force), and left extremely happy.

I don't fail, I just succeed at finding ways that don't work.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 5:29 am 
too much stick, not enough carrot

I had high hopes for this, and they didn't disappoint. I find myself actually looking forward to the next episode! That hasn't happened since JLU to be honest. I love the small changes they made. It keeps the series fresh while keeping it from being a clone. I'm in for the duration as well.

DC/WB is all like "Wonder Woman's too confusing for a movie!" and Marvel/Disney is all like "Here's a raccoon with a machine gun".

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 6:08 am 
Shudders at the Thought of Swamp-Crotch Chafing

My DVR got over booked (thanks to my son figuring out how to use it) and dumped this show for other recordings... grrr...

and so far CN doesn't have a repeat scheduled ....

Couldn't have said it better myself.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2011 1:37 pm 

Well, THAT certainly wasn't what I was expecting. :?

I felt this was a pretty weak episode. I figured we'd see Liono have to learn some lessons about leadership, but this felt really hamhanded. I did like the
cook fattening up the Thunderkittens
sequence, mainly because they're annoying. They've replaced Snarf as the target of my ire. I did like the last minute or so with the bad guys, though.

Also disappointed with the series intro. Are cool opening sequences a thing of the past? Young Justice's opening is also abbreviated drasticly. If we get more story great, but I suspect it's just a way to cram in another minute of commercials. :evil:

I give episode 3 a C. Hope it's just a bump in the road.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 5:39 pm 
Former King of Posts

The fish pirates was the first episode I've seen. It was OK, but not something I am going to follow on a regular basis. They failed to make me care about the characters.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 7:40 pm 
willing to display nerd-rage meltdown for custom subnic

superfriend wrote:
The fish pirates was the first episode I've seen. It was OK, but not something I am going to follow on a regular basis. They failed to make me care about the characters.

Then you definitely need to watch the premier episode. It was excellent. The second episode was a bit of a letdown.

I don't fail, I just succeed at finding ways that don't work.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 1:30 pm 
PVC

I really liked the remake, i didnt liked the fact that lion-o [SPOILER] and tygra are related [SPOILER] but i liked the RPG like story and characters. I'll definitely will follow the series :)

JLU wishlist - Zan&Jayna w/ gleek, El Dorado, Poison ivy, Killer Croc & Baby Doll, Lois Lane, Jimmy Olsen, Prof. Emil Hamilton, Granny, Raven, Dick Grayson Robin, Changelling, Wonder girl, Starfire, Kid Flash, Jericho, Slade, Katana, Halo, Looker.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 12:07 pm 
PVC

I liked the FFIV Palom-Porom style on willykat and willykit. BTW anyone noticed linx-o on one of the vigilance towers?

JLU wishlist - Zan&Jayna w/ gleek, El Dorado, Poison ivy, Killer Croc & Baby Doll, Lois Lane, Jimmy Olsen, Prof. Emil Hamilton, Granny, Raven, Dick Grayson Robin, Changelling, Wonder girl, Starfire, Kid Flash, Jericho, Slade, Katana, Halo, Looker.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2011 12:20 pm 

Better. Still not as good as the premiere, but better.

It started out well. The Lizard army appears to be a credible threat and it was nice to see some individuality in the reptiles. One of the major inconsistencies in the original series was the unexplained appearance and disappearance of the various mutant minions. There were at least several dozen in the beginning, then just the three (four with Vultureman), and then dozens again whenever the plot called for them. It's nice to see that won't be happening here.

When the plant people showed up, I figured we'd be in for another subpar episode. But the little fuzzballs (er, leafballs) grew on me, especially with Ellrick's tragic end. And, surprise, surprise, it looks like Lion-o's actually using the Sword of Omens as a sword! They're being subtle (and bloodless) but he's hacking and slashing with the best of them. And finally, PANTHRO's in the house! The team is finally complete.

I do have a concern, though. This is two "the T-cat's meet the _______ and Lion-o learns an important lesson" plots in a row. I hope next week brings us something different.

I give episode 4 a "B+" .

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 10:34 am 
5th Horseman

I would give The Sand Fish one a B- and this one an A-, this is a good series and now we have Panthro on the seen, I think this will gain more steam. I am looking forward to the next episode and finding out the connection between Grune and Panthro (I think they may have been brothers, which would adress the Lion'o and Tygra situation, however I don't think they will resolve it that quick).

Also we haven't really yet seen an episode where the Cats get handed their arses to them by something a lot harder (In other words can't wait for Mumm-ra to become the Everliving).

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 116 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next