Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Thu Oct 30, 2014 8:18 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Doctor Who
PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 5:30 am 
Shudders at the Thought of Swamp-Crotch Chafing

OK...

I am admittedly VERY LATE to this party.

I remember Doctor Who from when I was a younger lad and I just never really go the appeal. BBC production value just never seemed to hold up to me. It just felt "amateur" to me in comparison to what American television produced.

And then I came here and it seems like The Doctor is a favorite among a great many of us.

So, I thought I would try it again and headed over to Netflix (instant streaming). In the past two weeks, I have worked my way through all 6 seasons that are available in that format and I got to say, I am now HOOKED!

I want more. I want to catch up.

So my question to all of you fans out there...
Where can I go to see Season 7 forward to get caught up and ready to start watching it live on BBC America?

Thanks. Sorry its taken me so long to get to the party.

Post subject: Re: Doctor Who
PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 8:46 am 
too much stick, not enough carrot

If you have BBCA on your cable / satellite / etc, look and see if it's On Demand. Pretty sure it is. If not, you can try to DVR it since they're running reruns constantly leading up the the 50th.

I'm saddened that Matt Smith is leaving. I was NOT a fan when he was first announced, but danged if he didn't become one of my top 3 favorite doctors. I've been watching the show off and on since the 80s, and he's been one of the best.

DC/WB is all like "Wonder Woman's too confusing for a movie!" and Marvel/Disney is all like "Here's a raccoon with a machine gun".

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 12:49 pm 
there were horses, and a man on fire, and I killed a guy with a trident

The Doctor, The Widow, and The Wardrobe, Season Seven Part One, The Snowmen, And Season Seven Part two are also for sale at Amazon.

The next new Who is the 50th Annversary Special in November featuring the return of David Tennant so you have plenty of time to catch up. In the meantime you can sample The Sarah Jane Adventures and Torchwood too. All of Sarah Jane is good but I only liked the third and fourth seasons of Torchwood subtitled "Children Of Earth" and "Miracle Day" respectively. They are also all available on DVD.

"I knew we'd made a mistake the minute I saw that little bologna loaf in the hospital bassinet." - Calvin's Dad.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 4:39 am 
Shudders at the Thought of Swamp-Crotch Chafing

The Doctor, the Widow, and the Wardrobe is the last episode available on Netflix, so if all I'm missing is The Snowmen (by Neil Gaiman if I'm not mistaken) and Season 7 parts 1 and 2, then I am better off than I thought.

I've watched some of Torchwood (actually started with the new Showtime series first and worked my way back from that) but haven't touched Sarah Jane yet. Thanks for the info and suggestions.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 9:16 am 
Armored Avenger of Arduous Aspirations

Wow. Fone, you and I are on opposite sides as usual. :lol:
The first two seasons of Torchwood were awesome. Children of Men, mediocre, and Miracle Day terrible!
Ben, they show repeats daily on weekday mornings on BBC America. That's how I caught up.

Trade Rating +55 and counting

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 12:24 pm 

bnjmnrlyr wrote:
The Doctor, the Widow, and the Wardrobe is the last episode available on Netflix, so if all I'm missing is The Snowmen (by Neil Gaiman if I'm not mistaken) and Season 7 parts 1 and 2, then I am better off than I thought.

I've watched some of Torchwood (actually started with the new Showtime series first and worked my way back from that) but haven't touched Sarah Jane yet. Thanks for the info and suggestions.

You should watch Torchwood in order. It's a serialized show.

And The Snowmen is set in between 7.1 and 7.2. I cannot stress enough how important watching it in the right order is.

Shellhead wrote:

Wow. Fone, you and I are on opposite sides as usual.
The first two seasons of Torchwood were awesome. Children of Men, mediocre, and Miracle Day terrible!
Honestly, I don't have very strong feeling for Torchwood one way or the other (I'm a Whobie) so if you want me to cede the argument to you I will. ;) I just remember thinking Children of Earth was excellent (if really depressing) and that Miracle Day was addictive (particularly the last episode). The only real "regular" episode of Torchwood I liked was "Kiss Kiss, Bang Bang" with James Marsters. That was excellent too.

"I knew we'd made a mistake the minute I saw that little bologna loaf in the hospital bassinet." - Calvin's Dad.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 7:14 pm 
Armored Avenger of Arduous Aspirations

Children of Men had it's moments, but I was very pissed when they killed a certain someone near the end.
Miracle Day was too "American" for me. I didn't like any of the new characters they introduced.

Trade Rating +55 and counting

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 9:28 pm 

Shellhead wrote:
Children of Men had it's moments, but I was very pissed when they killed a certain someone near the end.
EVERYONE was ticked off by that death at the end. Russell T. Davies can be very clueless at times.
Quote:
Miracle Day was too "American" for me. I didn't like any of the new characters they introduced.

I didn't even TRY to like the new characters. It made it MUCH easier for me to enjoy.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 5:38 pm 

Anybody hear this rumor? If it's true, it's great news.

http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/news/Doctor ... ound/18579

Quote:
...But now a new rumor makes it sound like the BBC has hit the mother lode. Bleeding Cool is reporting that "BBC have secured a large number of presumed-wiped episodes of early Doctor Who."

The report indicates that entire serials that were presumed lost, including some from the elusive William Hartnell era, have been recovered and could debut later this year on television - just in time for the iconic series' 50th-anniversary celebration...

...There's still no confirmation from the BBC, but we have our fingers crossed.

...What I've been hearing, and some of it is attributed to an eccentric engineer who worked for broadcasters across Africa with a taste for science fiction and a habit of taking things for "safe keeping," is that the BBC have secured a large number of presumed-wiped episodes of early Doctor Who.

And there are lots. Lots and lots. Completed serials that we've only had incomplete before, full series that nothing existed of. Not everything. But heaps and heaps. Possibly even The Full Hartnell.

And come November, or before, we'll get to see them...