It is currently Tue Nov 25, 2014 5:43 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Men in Black 4
PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 2:23 pm 
Editor Emeritus of SDCC

Men in Black 4 Planned with Oren Uziel Scripting

by SuperHeroHype

May 03, 2013

Following a tremendous $624 million worldwide box office last year with Men in Black 3, Sony Pictures has brought aboard Oren Uziel to script a fourth adventure in the comedic sci-fi franchise. The Wrap has the news that Uziel will script both MIB 4 and will perform rewrite duties on 21 Jump Street 2.

Uziel, who has previously written for the webseries "Mortal Kombat: Rebirth," is also known for his upcoming horror comedy screenplay, The Kitchen Sink. That film features a human, a vampire and a zombie teaming up to prevent an alien invasion.

Although no confirmations have been made as of yet, Barry Sonnenfeld has directed all three entries in the Men in Black franchise and all three films have featured Will Smith and Tommy Lee Jones as Agents J and K, respectively.

ComingSoon.net spoke with Smith at the MIB 3 junket last year and asked him about his thoughts on returning for a fourth film.

"We'll have to see what people say," Smith said. "If there's a good reaction to this movie, it's not something I would be against. Hopefullly we're not going to keep the same pattern. It was five years between the first and second and ten years between the second and third. That would be twenty years. I'll be 63 years old. It's just not a good look."

Meanwhile, Michael Bacall and Jonah Hill have written the initial draft of 21 Jump Street 2 and both Hill and Channing Tatum are confirmed to return for the June 6, 2014 release.

Post subject: Re: Men in Black 4
PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 12:56 am 
Editor Emeritus of SDCC

From IGN:

Will Smith Not Keen on Men in Black IV

Series star says he's not inclined to make another installment.

by Jim Vejvoda

June 3, 2013

Sony Pictures may be actively developing Men in Black IV, but series star Will Smith seems disinterested in making it.

Smith told Collider that he's not terribly keen on doing another MIB sequel. "I think three is enough for me,” said Smith. “Three of anything is enough. We’ll look at it, and consider it, but it feels like it might be time to let someone else do that.”

Oren Uziel was recently hired to script both Men in Black IV as well as the sequel to 21 Jump Street.

So what do you think? Is it time for Men in Black to be retired? Or should they reboot/recast the proposed fourth film?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 12:20 pm 
my apartment smells of rich mahogany

I wouldn't recast Smith's character, but they could just as easily write him out and write a new character in. It's called "Men in Black" not "The Adventures of Agents J & K." Other than Z (and sort of M, although that guy ain't gonna be makin any more movies), there's still 22 letters of the alphabet left, so you don't even have to come up with a clever new name. Just pick a letter. Agent W, this is Agent Q, go save the planet. That's one of the cool things about that property. If you use it the right way, you can just keep cranking them out. And, I'm sure if the 4th one is marketed well and everyone goes to see it and it makes money and doesn't bomb like 3 did, Smith might change his tune when it comes time to make 5.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 3:47 pm 
serves the Otter

Location: Planet Reach, Coolsville, Metropolis, or Crystal Cove. It depends on the day.
I kind of agree with Mr. Smith's view. Though I loved the last one I don't want the franchise to turn sour, I would definitely want J and K back, Smith and Jones work so well together. IMO while there may be 22 more letters to do a story with, I like Will Smith's "J" and TLJ's "K." Without them I don't think I would see an MIB 4... unless they got some other actors that I really, really like... then, maybe I'd check it out.

D.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 9:21 pm 
serves the Otter

Two things occur to me.

1. This could just be a negotiation tactic by Smith to get himself a larger paycheck. It's not unheard of.

2. Smith lost a TON of credibility with audiences because of After Earth. It was universally panned by critics and was a box office dud. He might want to think about appearing in a "safe bet" to get his mojo back. Although he might have wrecked Jaden's career for good.

When truth is only a matter of opinion, advantage goes to the liars.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 4:38 am 
too much stick, not enough carrot

Honestly, I'd love if they did something with Josh Brolin. He's such a versatile actor, and was one of the best things about MIB3 in my opinion.

DC/WB is all like "Wonder Woman's too confusing for a movie!" and Marvel/Disney is all like "Here's a raccoon with a machine gun".