Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Wed Jul 23, 2014 4:42 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Re: Superman vs The Elite
PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 12:56 pm 
shirtless hugger

I had to hit two Best Buy stores, but I was able to find the DVD with the Manchester Black figure. The paint was really bad on most of them, but I found one with a decent paint job.

I haven't watched the movie yet, but wouldn't the Atomic Skull have made a better figure? (I admit that I might not have enough awareness of Manchester Black's notoriety.)

I don't know how the figure is chosen, but I imagine if Warner Brothers keeps producing animated features starring Superman or Batman, the character choices for figures is going to get slim.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 4:17 pm 
Brand Manager

just watched this and it was way better then I thought it would be ! The intro was cool had a 90s vibe. But overall Warner has alot to learn from these DTV. So is Dark Knight Returns coming next or Flashpoint ?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 5:24 pm 
declined to be a vampire

I said it in the Batman: Year One and I'll say it here.

I don't care how good the story is, if you want me to buy your DTV animated flicks, 58 minutes isn't going to cut it.

I never understood why 75 minutes used to be the standard, but this 1 hour movie and then wanting 17-20 bucks for it?

Won't be getting my cash. I won't buy this until I can get it used on half.com for 8 bucks or something.

I have over 50 + trades with the following: j1h15233, Joe G, ElvisBatman, Riddler2403, 20Silence, Sweeney, Batsonthebrain, Wildcard, Lance, The Question, Thebigzakbowski, MrJasonTodd, Grimace404, Boots Baily , brenticles, Darknight30, Kcbstuff, Funtime

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 6:32 am 
Shudders at the Thought of Swamp-Crotch Chafing

Time does not automatically indicate quality.

I am happy that I have this at the price I paid for it.
I get a nifty little figure to add to my collection and a DTV that was a very well done and enjoyable film. The pacing of the story felt "just right" and I wouldn't have wanted to have it stretched out longer just to make the run time seem more "appealing"

The quality is there.

But, hey, to each his own.

Couldn't have said it better myself.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 5:15 pm 
declined to be a vampire

bnjmnrlyr wrote:
Time does not automatically indicate quality.

I am happy that I have this at the price I paid for it.
I get a nifty little figure to add to my collection and a DTV that was a very well done and enjoyable film. The pacing of the story felt "just right" and I wouldn't have wanted to have it stretched out longer just to make the run time seem more "appealing"

The quality is there.

But, hey, to each his own.

No, it doesn't, but there is a certain expectation, and I certainly relate that to time. When I sit down to watch a movie (and that's what this is) I expect to be entertained a bit longer than that (especially if I'm forking out decent money for it)

Of course, I don't care about the figures that come with it.

I'm just not paying 17+ bucks for a 58 minute cartoon. If I want entertained for an hour, I'll find a TV show to watch. This is an animated "film"...so give me the "film" portion that we've all come to expect.

do they extend things sometimes for the sake of it and ruin it? Probably...although i can't recall something I've seen that was already so short. usually it's something that is already long enough and they drag it out.

Of course, I figured you'd reply, because I think you replied to me in the Year One thread too :)

Like I said, I'll wait a few months and get it for under 10 bucks like I have a lot of my stuff.

I have over 50 + trades with the following: j1h15233, Joe G, ElvisBatman, Riddler2403, 20Silence, Sweeney, Batsonthebrain, Wildcard, Lance, The Question, Thebigzakbowski, MrJasonTodd, Grimace404, Boots Baily , brenticles, Darknight30, Kcbstuff, Funtime

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 8:25 pm 
there were horses, and a man on fire, and I killed a guy with a trident

Pretty sure the movie is 74 minutes. That's what it says on the DVD cover and that sounds about right. It was definitely longer than an hour.

"The early bird gets the worm" is great if you like to eat worms.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 4:05 am 
Shudders at the Thought of Swamp-Crotch Chafing

Well, Bunger, I'm sorry to sound like a broken record.

But I'm glad to see that we can have the conversation without degrading into name calling.

Well played on calling me out and I look forward to your impressions when you do finally get around to watching it.

Couldn't have said it better myself.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 11:44 am 
declined to be a vampire

Fone Bone wrote:
Pretty sure the movie is 74 minutes. That's what it says on the DVD cover and that sounds about right. It was definitely longer than an hour.

I read multiple reviews that complained about the length of the film. After the Year One Batman flick (that I think was just a hare over an hour) I wasn't surprised to see the length be what people were reporting.

I just look at it this way: I can get multiple movies (Batman The Dark Knight, Watchmen, etc) brand new for 19 bucks and those are well over 2 hours.

And WB wants me to pay the same amount for a movie that is under an hour? (or even close to it)...that just bugs me is all.

My apologies if it isn't, that's just what I've read. Amazon lists it as 74 minutes in running length, but I've read several reviews that complained at the length.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 11:47 am 
declined to be a vampire

bnjmnrlyr wrote:
Well, Bunger, I'm sorry to sound like a broken record.

But I'm glad to see that we can have the conversation without degrading into name calling.

Well played on calling me out and I look forward to your impressions when you do finally get around to watching it.

I think I'm the one who's the broken record here...lol.

But yeah, what good is name calling?

I'm sure i'll enjoy the flick, as I have heard a lot of good for it. I'm just a bit of a tightwad when it comes to certain things. I quit buying comic books at 4 bucks because I didn't think they were worth it. Once DCUC started clearing 15 bucks I quit buying them. I go see movies earlier in the day because I don't like paying 10-12 bucks to see one later in the evening. I guess I'm a bit "old fashioned" in what I think prices of things should be!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 6:13 am 
there were horses, and a man on fire, and I killed a guy with a trident

Bunger43 wrote:
Fone Bone wrote:

I read multiple reviews that complained about the length of the film. After the Year One Batman flick (that I think was just a hare over an hour) I wasn't surprised to see the length be what people were reporting.

I just look at it this way: I can get multiple movies (Batman The Dark Knight, Watchmen, etc) brand new for 19 bucks and those are well over 2 hours.

And WB wants me to pay the same amount for a movie that is under an hour? (or even close to it)...that just bugs me is all.

My apologies if it isn't, that's just what I've read. Amazon lists it as 74 minutes in running length, but I've read several reviews that complained at the length.

It's definitely 74 minutes. I timed it when I watched it again. It's actually one of the longer DCU movies. Whoever wrote those reviews didn't know what they were talking about.

"The early bird gets the worm" is great if you like to eat worms.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 7:07 am 
declined to be a vampire

Fone Bone wrote:
It's definitely 74 minutes. I timed it when I watched it again. It's actually one of the longer DCU movies. Whoever wrote those reviews didn't know what they were talking about.

That makes me feel better.