Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Wed Nov 26, 2014 5:45 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 238 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 16  Next
 Post subject: Re: Marvel's The Avengers 2
PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 8:56 pm 
Editor Emeritus of SDCC

Kevin Feige Talks About Thanos in Upcoming Marvel Movies

by SuperHeroHype

September 20, 2012

MTV got lucky in their interview with Marvel Studios producer Kevin Feige because he started to talk in detail about 'that purple guy' or Thanos as he likes to be called. Fiege reitterated that they definitely have a plan in place for the Mad Titan.

"Clearly, there's a purpose to us putting him in the end of that movie. We do have plans for him," said Feige. "I wouldn't say we ever feel the need to rush anything one way or the other. We succeeded in Phase One because we stuck to our guns and stuck to the plan. That plan took place over many, many years and it ultimately paid off. I see Phase Two unfolding in the same way of us taking our time, us doing what's right for each individual movie, while folding in elements that will not only build up to the culmination of Phase Two, but even Phase Three."

Feige wouldn't spill the beans, however, on whether Thanos will appear in both The Avengers 2 and Guardians of the Galaxy, though many speculate that is the case.

He was also asked whether Damion Poitier would remain with Marvel Studios for all of Thanos' future appearances, to which he responded: "I think we feel pretty free to recast. That was cast for literally that one shot. Depending on what the role requires from future movies, we'll go from there."

But the part about Thanos that Feige really loved is how he quickly became a household name. "Suddenly, you have a million people who had never heard of an Infinity Gauntlet or a Mad Titan learning those terms. I love that. I love when the experience goes beyond the movie theater and encourages people to look deeper into our universe."

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 2:37 am 
Editor Emeritus of SDCC

Will Ms. Marvel Appear in The Avengers 2?

by SuperHeroHype

October 06, 2012

Will The Avengers get another female member for the sequel? The UK's Daily Mail has hidden a little nugget of information in one of their latest stories...

"British actresses Emily Blunt and Ruth Wilson are head-to-head in a race for the most sought-after new female role in Hollywood. Emily, star of The Young Victoria, and Ruth, from TV’s Luther, are both hotly tipped to play superhero Ms Marvel in Avengers 2, the sequel to Avengers Assemble."

Now, treat this strictly as a rumor because nothing has been confirmed by Marvel Studios and this is the very first time anyone has even mentioned Ms. Marvel for the Marvel Cinematic Universe, but if she is going to be in the film, these two are good choices for the role.

Ms. Marvel first appeared in Marvel comics in 1968 when she was injured by an explosion of a Kree device. Her DNA melded with that of Captain Marvel, giving her superpowers.

What do you think? Should Ms. Marvel join the team?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 7:04 pm 
Editor Emeritus of SDCC

Joss Whedon Has Turned in His Outline for Marvel's The Avengers 2

by SuperHeroHype

December 04, 2012

Although the film still won't hit theaters for two-and-a-half years, EW is reporting that writer/director Joss Whedon has officially turned in his outline for Marvel's The Avengers 2. What's more, they've revealed that Whedon-regulars Jeffrey Bell, Maurissa Tancharoen and Jed Whedon (Joss' brother) are set to serve as showrunners on ABC's upcoming "S.H.I.E.L.D.", assuming Whedon's pilot goes to series.

Set to begin filming in January, "S.H.I.E.L.D" will feature a cast that includes Brett Dalton, Iain De Caestecker, Elizabeth Henstridge, Ming-Na Wen, and Clark Gregg. Both Whedon siblings wrote the pilot alongside Tancharoen and Joss is set to direct.

Marvel's The Avengers 2, meanwhile, will hit theaters on May 1, 2015, and while the cast is currently unconfirmed, its very likely to again include Robert Downey, Jr., Chris Hemsworth, Chris Evans, Jeremy Renner, Mark Ruffalo, Scarlett Johansson and Samuel L. Jackson.

As if the man wasn't busy enough, Whedon will also step outside the Marvel Universe with the June 7, 2013 release of Much Ado About Nothing, a modern version of Shakespeare's classic comedy.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 1:55 am 
Editor Emeritus of SDCC

Joss Whedon Says His Avengers Script Originally Included The Wasp

by SuperHeroHype

December 18, 2012

The Directors Guild of America in Hollywood was host tonight to a special screening of Marvel's The Avengers with writer/director Joss Whedon in attendance. During a post-screening Q&A, Whedon spoke at length about the comic book ensemble, revealing which characters didn't make the final cut and hinting at what changes fans can expect in the 2015 sequel.

"There was a little bit of time where we thought we might not actually get Scarlett [Johansson]," he explains. "There was a very Waspy draft that I wrote. But it was way too Waspy. I was like, 'She's adorable! I'm just going to watch her!'"

Janet Van Dyne wasn't the only character that didn't make the final cut, however. Whedon says that his original vision called for a second villain beyond Tom Hiddleston's Loki.

"I'm not going to tell you [who it is]," he says, "because that person might crop up another time. But I definitely felt like, 'I've got Earth's mightiest heroes. I've got four of the biggest, baddest, toughest guys out there and I've got one effete British character actor.' They believed very strongly that they didn't want to add any more mythology, I think was the thing."

Although Whedon stayed relatively quiet about the upcoming sequel, he did offer the tease that he thinks swapping out Avengers is an important quality of the comics themselves.

"I used to read 'The Avengers' and part of the ethos of the team was that it changed their lineup every month," he continues. "Their 150th issue was just a bunch of faces. 'Who will be in the team now?!' We had the first issue as a poster in the offices. Now that I'm working on the sequel I said, 'Let's put the second issue up there! Let's change it up a little bit!' The second issue is 'Introducing… Giant-Man! And this character! They were already changing it up after one issue. That's what they always do."

What that means for the sequel remains to be seen, but Marvel's The Avengers 2 is slated to hit theaters on May 1, 2015 and Whedon will also be writing and directing the pilot episode of "Marvel's S.H.I.E.L.D.", rumored to begin on ABC in the fall of 2013.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 11:58 am 
Editor Emeritus of SDCC

Will Loki be in The Avengers 2?

by SuperHeroHype

December 20, 2012

We're still a few years away from the release of The Avengers 2, but it doesn't hurt to ask possible cast members if they will appear. In an interview with MSN, Tom Hiddleston was asked if we'll be seeing Loki pop up in the sequel to this summer's smash hit.

"I don't know, and that really is the honest answer," he said. "I know I've been known for obfuscation in other quarters, but I have no idea, I haven't spoken to Joss. He's definitely doing it. So I suspect not, only because I think that probably the audiences are tired of Loki being the bad guy. Maybe the Avengers need somebody else to fight. But I'd love to be part of it again."

We're going to go on a limb here and guess that "somebody else" will be the Mad Titan, Thanos.

The other 'team' movie that Marvel has coming up is Guardians of the Galaxy, and the last time there was a team they were assembled by Samuel L. Jackson as Nick Fury. Could he appear in Guardians too?

"No, Cap 2, then nothing until The Avengers 2," Jackson told Movies.com, "but that's in 2014. Hopefully they'll throw me another Star Wars movie."

Guardians of the Galaxy is set to be released on August 1, 2014 and The Avengers 2 on May 1, 2015.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 11:56 am 
Editor Emeritus of SDCC

Joss Whedon Talks Balancing Work on Avengers 2 and Marvel's S.H.I.E.L.D.

by SuperHeroHype

January 07, 2013

Joss Whedon is a really busy guy. He's working on shepherding a new television series, Marvel's S.H.I.E.L.D., through the pilot stage and he's currently in the preliminary stages on Marvel's The Avengers 2. But how can he work on both at the same time? Whedon spoke with EW about his workload and how he'll manage to work on both.

”I have to maintain a fine balance between not hurting The Avengers, which is my number one priority right now, and not be the guy who shows up once a month and undoes everything that’s been done by everyone else.”

Whedon says he will work on the television series "as my schedule allows," and will help the other writers and producers brainstorm stories in addition to reviewing and approving edits for the show's episodes.

Joss also spoke about working on the sequel to his Emmy award-winning series, Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along Blog: “We really want to shoot it next year. We feel strong about the idea and we have a bunch of stuff written."

Whedon is currently directing the pilot for Marvel's S.H.I.E.L.D. from a script that he co-wrote with his brother Jed and Maurissa Tancharoen. Marvel's S.H.I.E.L.D. will be executive produced by the Whedons, Tancharoen, Jeffrey Bell and Jeph Loeb.

Marvel's The Avengers 2 is slated for a release on May 1, 2015.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 12:49 pm 
Editor Emeritus of SDCC

Renner Says Avengers 2 Will Provide 'More Opportunities' for Hawkeye

by SuperHeroHype

January 08, 2013

A few months ago, Jeremy Renner spoke about his character in The Avengers and how he wasn't all too pleased with where Hawkeye was in the film. "At the end of the day, 90% of the movie, I’m not the character I signed on to play. I’m literally in there for two minutes, and then all of a sudden…"

Today, in an interview with MTV News, he said he'll finally get what's coming to him in the sequel.

"There's more opportunities (in the sequel) to explore the characters a litle more, i think for everybody, which I think is exciting."

But he's not calling up Joss and telling him where to take the character, "I'd just mess it all up."

Many of the S.H.I.E.L.D. operatives from The Avengers, including Nick Fury, Maria Hill, and Black Widow, are set to appear in 2014's Captain America: The Winter Soldier, but Renner is not confirmed to appear.

Marvel's The Avengers 2 will hit theaters on May 1, 2015, and while the cast is currently unconfirmed, its very likely to again include Robert Downey, Jr., Chris Hemsworth, Chris Evans, Jeremy Renner, Mark Ruffalo, Scarlett Johansson and Samuel L. Jackson.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 1:49 pm 
Editor Emeritus of SDCC

Whedon Says Avengers 2 Script Should be Done in a Few Months

by SuperHeroHype

January 11, 2013

We're still more than two years away from the release of Marvel's The Avengers 2, but don't think they're not hard at work on it already. Writer/director Joss Whedon told MTV he is already hammering away at the script.

"I've done the outline, I'm writing the script now and so the script should be done in a couple of months. I'm pretty excited about it, I have to say."

When asked what approach he's taking to the script, whether it's a bigger template than the previous film, Whedon offered these grim words:

"Don't go bigger, go deeper. The grand thing is that all of these people have met so you have that out of the way. Now you can spend your time just digging in and by digging in, I mean with a scalpel, to cause pain."

Whedon also spoke about the upcoming television series, Marvel's S.H.I.E.L.D., which begins very soon ("We start shooting a week from Tuesday.") and he offered some insight into what the show will be like.

"You've got to bring a little bit of spectacle to it. It's gotta be bigger than your average cop show, but at the end of the day it's about the peripheral people, it's about the people on the edges of the grand adventures. The whole point of this show is that even with all these big things, the little things matter. So it's about people who don't have super powers. There will be some people with powers, there will be effects, the spectacle of Science Fiction story telling, but all played on a very human/small level."

And as we know, Whedon is functioning as a creative consultant exclusively for Marvel Studios and lending his talents to the other films (Iron Man 3, Thor: The Dark World, Captain America: The Winter Soldier, and Guardians of the Galaxy) if they need it and it seems there hasn't been one that needs his attention more than others.

"It's been pretty equal, I read all the scripts and I give notes on everything. I'll look at cuts when they're ready to show me. I'll talk to diectors if they want to, I try to make myself useful without being intrusive, but I've gotten to sort of be a part of all of them and that's a dream job for a kid like me."

Marvel's The Avengers 2 will hit theaters on May 1, 2015, and while the cast is currently unconfirmed, its very likely to again include Robert Downey, Jr., Chris Hemsworth, Chris Evans, Jeremy Renner, Mark Ruffalo, Scarlett Johansson and Samuel L. Jackson.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 11:05 am 
Editor Emeritus of SDCC

Will the Black Panther Debut in Marvel's The Avengers 2?

by SuperHeroHype

April 09, 2013

Rumors have been swirling following a now-deleted Twitter and Facebook post on the part of actor Morris Chestnut that suggested the Kick-Ass 2 star might be up for the lead in a Black Panther feature film from Marvel Studios and Walt Disney Pictures.

"It's time to get familiar with the Black Panther character!," read the deleted post.

Today, Chestnut is back on Twitter and just posted the following update:

"Not final," he writes. "#BlackPanther may be in #avengers2 first. RT @jamaal91604133: @Morris_Chestnut Can't wait to see this movie. #BlackPanther

Admittedly, Chestnut's comments are open to alternate interpretations, but it certainly sounds like the actor is up for the part and has been told that T'Challa's big screen debut could arrive with Joss Whedon's Marvel's The Avengers 2 on May 1, 2015.

Check back for further updates on The Black Panther and the future of the Marvel Cinematic Universe as soon as they become available.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 11:28 am 
too much stick, not enough carrot

From Newsarama:

Did JOSS WHEDON Reveal Two New AVENGERS 2 Characters?

Sure, we're all excited for Iron Man 3, which had its big Hollywood premiere Wednesday night and hits US theaters Friday, May 3, 2013. But as comic book fans do, we always look forward to not only what's just on the horizon, but what's far beyond it.

In the end, all of the Marvel Studios "Phase 2" films, Iron Man 3, Thor: The Dark World, Captain America: The Winter Soldier, and perhaps to a slightly lesser extent Guardians of the Galaxy, will lead to one end goal: Avengers 2. The sequel will bring our favorite Avengers back together as a team to once more defeat a threat on a day unlike any other, while also, of course, introducing new heroes and villains into the fold.

On the red carpet of the Iron Man 3 premiere, Avengers 2 writer-director Joss Whedon may have revealed who two of those new characters will be.

"When you're dealing with the story, when you've got the characters that you love, when you've got the new characters sliding in next to them - it's very exciting. Then I don't feel pressure, then I feel like I'm reading my favorite comic," Whedon began telling Yahoo!News. "I've got these two characters, two of my favorite characters from the comic book, a brother-sister act, they're in the movie. That's exciting! You lock certain things in, there's a fluidity."

The statement came soon after telling the Yahoo! reporter that he had "finished a draft" of the Avengers 2 script, and said it was "in really good shape. We're in a really good place."

Of course, the most famous "brother-sister act" associated with The Avengers is that of Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch. The twin children of X-Men villain Magneto, the pair debuted as members of his "Brotherhood of Evil Mutants" in 1964's X-Men #4. Soon after, in 1965, they turned hero, joining The Avengers in issue 16 of the first volume, alongside members Captain America, Iron Man, and Hawkeye - three characters that should sound awfully familiar to movie fans.

The duo are a slightly tricky situation for film. As mutants (and the kids of Magneto), it seems at first glance they could belong to the film rights Fox owns for X-Men and its related characters. But as longtime and integral Avengers, Marvel Studios may have been able to hang onto them. It may be a case of simply not calling them "mutants" and of course ignoring their parentage to get away with their usage. In fact, in an April 2012 interview with HeyUGuys, Marvel Studios president Kevin Feige addressed the pair directly.

Interviewer Ben Mortimer asked Feige, "Let's get geeky and very specific. There are two characters, Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch, who Fox would own because they're mutants?"

"They're uh - It’s a little complicated, but if they want to use them in an X-Men movie they could, and if we want to use them in an Avengers movie we could. They're unique," Feige said.

Whedon offered no more hints as to the identities of the pair of new characters, but did continue to tease his excitement for Avengers 2 while praising Shane Black and Iron Man 3, as well as Robert Downey, Jr - including alluding to the elusive actor already being signed for the film, something the actor has dodged in interviews.

"You're working with Robert," Whedon said while explaining his script revision process for Avengers 2. "Robert's going to want to do something new on the day [of shooting], and you're going to want him to, because it's going to be funny! So you always keep yourself open."

As for Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D., the Marvel Cinematic Universe TV series, "They haven't said go and make many of these, for it will be on the air" just yet. Whedon did say they "will explain why Agent Coulson is in the pilot" during that first episode.

DC/WB is all like "Wonder Woman's too confusing for a movie!" and Marvel/Disney is all like "Here's a raccoon with a machine gun".

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 9:38 pm 
Editor Emeritus of SDCC

Joss Whedon Continues to Tease The Avengers 2

by SuperHeroHype

April 29, 2013

Last week, Marvel's The Avengers writer/director Joss Whedon dropped some interesting details about the upcoming sequel to the film, including the addition of a brother/sister team. The director has now spoken with Desde Hollywood and has teased some more about what we can expect, but first he spoke about whether Robert Downey Jr. will return as Tony Stark.

"I am not the guy who has to worry about him being replaced. He is Iron Man at this point. When I heard that he was cast I knew that something had just changed, and I usually don't know stuff like that. I was like 'Now we are in a new phase.' The way he embodies it… I love working with him. He is so perfect for it, Shane captures it so perfectly in this movie.

"I want him to play it forever. The great thing is that he has a flying metal suit. So it's not like those Charles Bronson or Roger Moore movies where you're like 'Dude, you can barely stand.' He’s got some fight in him. At the same time, if Robert decides to hang it up, he has a perfectly good excuse."

When asked why The Avengers should worry about Thanos, Whedon teased this:

"Well, Thanos is more powerful. He is so powerful, he is not someone you can just trot out and punch him. Like he did in the comics, you want him to be threading through the universe and to save the big finale for the big finale. He is definitely a part of what I've got going on. The thing about the Avengers is that they are very powerful, but they're not very stable. So, there will definitely be some people that will shake them up in the next installment."

The site suggests that this could mean Thanos won't be defeated until a third "Avengers" film, but this is just speculation. Check out the full interview below.

Marvel's The Avengers 2 is scheduled to hit theaters on May 1, 2015.

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 2:04 am 
Editor Emeritus of SDCC

Further Signs Point to Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver in Marvel's The Avengers 2

by SuperHeroHype

May 01, 2013

As hinted at in an interview with Joss Whedon last week, EW says that an unnamed source has confirmed that Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver will be assembling alongside Earth's mightiest heroes when Marvel's The Avengers 2 hits the big screen in 2015.

Marvel Studios President Kevin Feige previously revealed that rights allow for the mutant siblings to appear in both the Marvel cinematic universe and in 20th Century Fox's X-Men universe.

"We both have them," Feige told SuperHeroHype last summer. "There's a specific arrangement with those two characters that would allow us to use them with 'Avengers,' but not discuss or reference their mutant or Magneto-related lineage. They can use them as mutants and as Magneto's relatives, but cannot have anything to do with 'The Avengers'."

Regardless of who ultimately assembles for the sequel, Marvel's The Avengers 2 hits the big screen May 1, 2015.

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 4:40 am 

Man, I'm already getting excited. By the time this movie gets here, we could potentially have a FULL Avengers roster that includes most of my favorites.

Captain America
Hawkeye
Black Widow
Hulk
Iron Man
Thor
Falcon
Scarlet Witch
Quicksilver
Ant Man

YES!!!!

DC/WB is all like "Wonder Woman's too confusing for a movie!" and Marvel/Disney is all like "Here's a raccoon with a machine gun".

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 8:27 pm 
Editor Emeritus of SDCC

From IGN:

Contentious Negotiations Loom for Marvel, Avengers 2 Cast

Chris Hemsworth, others said to be holding out for more.

by Jim Vejvoda

May 7, 2013

It's no secret that Marvel Studios watches the bottom line. Just ask Terrence Howard, Mickey Rourke and Samuel L. Jackson, all of whom had very public flaps with Marvel over their salaries for their res play hardball for a bigger payday for pective Marvel movies. Now comes word that several cast members are looking to Marvel's The Avengers 2 after the first film became the second highest-grossing movie of all time.

Several Avengers cast members reportedly remain unsigned for the sequel, with such major contractual issues as upfront pay, backend compensation, break even points and box office bonuses still on the table.

Although some cast members are understandably steamed that some of them were only paid $200,000 for Marvel's The Avengers while Iron Man star Robert Downey Jr. walked away with $50 million, the cast is nevertheless said to be relying on Downey to have their backs in pushing Marvel for better pay for his co-stars next time around.

Downey -- whose contract with Marvel expired with Iron Man 3 -- recently revealed that he's currently renegotiating with Marvel for Avengers 2. Given the star power and box office success his Marvel films have generated, Downey has quite a lot of leverage.

According to Deadline's Nikki Finke, "I’ve learned Marvel already has threatened to sue or recast when contracts and/or options are challenged. That prompted a few cast members to respond, 'Go ahead.' I hear [Thor star Chris] Hemsworth especially wasn’t anxious to go back into that arduous diet and training regimen and subsist primarily on egg whites for Thor: Dark World which hits theaters November 8th. I also understand that Scarlett Johanssen [sic] told castmates she’s 'not going to cut her quote' for Marvel’s Avengers 2."

Hemsworth isn't signed for Avengers 2, but Captain America star Chris Evans is said to have already been signed for the film while negotiating for his original Cap contract.

Even if some of the original characters don't return for The Avengers 2, Marvel has more than a deep enough bullpen of characters to draw from to fill the team's ranks.

Marvel's The Avengers 2 aims to begin filming in early 2014 for a 2015 release.

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 4:41 am 

Not really surprising, considering the (relatively) small salaries some of the cast received and the HUGE payout for Marvel Studios. Here's hoping they can get all this worked out and soon. I don't want anything messing this up. :x

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 238 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 16  Next