Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Wed Aug 27, 2014 7:31 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 92 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
 Post subject: Ant-Man
PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 12:52 am 
Editor Emeritus of SDCC

Edgar Wright on Directing Ant-Man

Source: superherohype.com

March 14, 2007

Moviehole talked to Hot Fuzz co-writer/director Edgar Wright, who spoke briefly about Ant-Man. Here are several clips:

Researching "Ant-Man"?
Obviously I can't interview anyone that's got shrinking serum, [but] in terms of who the characters are though – yeah. Nanotechnology and all that. We have done a bit of research on it, yeah – and will continue to do so. It's great. It's really fascinating.

Were you a fan of the "Ant-Man" stuff?
I did read a bit of "The Avengers" as a kid, and I especially liked the Scott Lang character – by David Michelinie and John Byrne - and, of course, the imagery. I think "Ant Man" is one of those characters that the writers got bored with after about ten or fifteen issues so they'd go "What do we do now? – Hey, lets make him Giant-Man!" Then he became Yellowjacket… and the character changed… its interesting, he seems sort of like the run-of-the-litter in the comics world, and that's exactly what appeals to me [about it]. On top of that, the visuals of him could be absolutely extraordinary. I really like the idea of doing an action film with a miniature element to it. Most 'Shrinking' films are about people being scared of Shrinking – "Incredible Shrinking Man", "Honey, I Shrunk the Kids" – this is a film about how 'Cool' it would be to have that power, ya know?

Where's it at at the moment?
It's very early days; that’s something that I was involved with even before "Shaun of the Dead."

Visit the link above for the full interview!

Mike
(Image)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 9:46 pm 
Damage Control

Simon Pegg for Hank Pym and Nick Frost for Janet!!!!

Fried Gold!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 8:14 am 
Editor Emeritus of SDCC

Edgar Wright Talks Ant-Man

March 9, 2008

Empire Online caught up with director Edgar Wright, who gave the magazine an exclusive about the big screen Marvel Studios adaptation:

"It's written and we're doing a second draft of it," said Wright. "It's going to be less overtly comedic than anything else I've ever done. It's more of a full-on action adventure sci-fi film but with a comedic element – in the same spirit of a lot of escapist fare like that. It's certainly not a superhero spoof or pastiche and it certainly isn't a sort of Honey I Shrunk The Kids endeavour at all."

To find out what incarnation the hero will take, click here!

Mike
(Image)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 9:04 am 
Grickle Grass Grower

I was hoping they would do Scott Pilgrim first...oh well

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 10:35 am 
Bob Vila

If it's anyone other then Garrett Morris, forget it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 5:43 pm 
Editor Emeritus of SDCC

Is Pixar "Eyeballing" Ant-Man?

Source:superherohype.com

September 7, 2009

One week ago, the Walt Disney Company made the shocking announcement they were buying Marvel Entertainment for $4 billion, leading to all sorts of speculation about what that meant for both companies, including thoughts on the creative possibilities, some more serious than others. As sudden as the news and its impact hit the internet with only a few immediate questions being answered, one of the more interesting news bits to come out of the merger appeared in the latest issue of Entertainment Weekly where it stated:

"Pixar is said to already be eyeballing an Ant-Man movie."

Readers of Superhero Hype! will be aware that British filmmaker Edgar Wright (Hot Fuzz, Shaun of the Dead) has been developing a project based on Marvel's scientifically shrinking superhero for many years, having even appeared on Marvel Studios' Comic-Con panel way back in 2006 to talk about it. (You can read Superhero Hype!'s exclusive interview from that time here.) Even so, Marvel Studios has remained mum about any plans to go forward with the project since then, setting release dates for movies based on Thor, Captain America and the Avengers, while neglecting the previously-announced project.

Anyone reading the statement in Entertainment Weekly might immediately assume it means Pixar would do a CG-animated version of the Marvel second-stringer in a similar manner as their hit The Incredibles, but that might not be the case at all. Currently, Pixar Studios is in pre-production on a live action movie based on Edgar Rice Burroughs' John Carter of Mars, so the idea of Pixar "eyeballing" the already-scripted project could mean they might actively try to finance and produce a live action movie, taking the reins and burden off of Marvel Studios.

Whether or not that will mean that Edgar Wright is in the director's chair is another question that will need to be answered eventually. Currently, Wright is just starting what could be a long post-production process on his third movie Scott Pilgrim vs. the World for Universal, based on the graphic novel series from Bryan Lee O'Malley; that also hasn't set a release date. Chances are that Pixar will be involved in developing the current script further, but Wright has other projects he could tackle if Ant-Man wasn't ready to go once "Scott Pilgrim" is finished.

We'll have to see how this potential news pans out, but in the meantime, what do you think about Disney and Pixar Studios picking up the ball and running with an Ant-Man movie?

Mike
(Image)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 2:17 pm 
Editor Emeritus of SDCC

Is Marvel Moving Forward with Ant-Man?

Source:superherohype.com

February 9, 2010

While Marvel Studios is moving full steam ahead with Kenneth Branagh's Thor and Joe Johnston has been all over the place talking about his The First Avenger: Captain America this past weekend, there's still one very elusive missing piece to the Avengers puzzle, and that would be... Ant-Man!

A movie about the diminutive Avenger, Dr. Hank Pym, who is in fact one of the charter members of the team, has been in the works for some time. In fact, Edgar Wright was on hand at that very same Marvel Studios Comic-Con panel back in 2006 when Jon Favreau and Louis Letterier were first talking about their upcoming projects Iron Man and The Incredible Hulk. (You can read our interview from those times here.)

When Disney bought Marvel, there were some rumors Pixar might take over the project, but those were swiftly denied by John Lasseter, so that puts Ant-Man back into Wright's hands, having developed the project with Joe Cornish quite a bit before shifting his focus to Scott Pilgrim vs. the World.

Apparently, Stan "The Man" Lee, the co-creator of Ant-Man, met with Wright for lunch today, something that Lee proudly recapped on his Twitter feed with two intriguing tweets:

To make up for my previous grievous error, here's a little item that may have escaped you. Marvel is prepping a movie starring-- Ant Man!

and

I had lunch with the cool, young director Edgar Wright (Shaun of the Dead) and, as you'd imagine, we had fun discussing the tiny hero

Now of course, it could just be a coincidence that they were having lunch and talking about Ant-Man, but Lee stating that Marvel is prepping the movie seems to indicate they're finally moving forward now that Wright is putting the finishing touches on Scott Pilgrim.

Here's hoping Stan Lee isn't being the tease we've known him to be since he started writing Stan's Soap Box.

Mike
(Image)

Post subject: Re: Ant-Man Movie
PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2010 4:49 am 
Editor Emeritus of SDCC

Exclusive: When Might We See Edgar Wright's Ant-Man?

April 23, 2010

Earlier today, ComingSoon.net/SuperHeroHype had a chance to talk to Marvel Studios President of Production Kevin Feige about the upcoming release of Iron Man 2 on May 7 and other things related to what's been dubbed the "Marvel Cinematic Universe." It was a really good interview that we want to keep fairly intact to run next week, but we have a few things to share as a tease for it.

We were particularly curious about the status of Edgar Wright's Ant-Man. Some may remember that Wright was announced to direct that movie way back in 2006, and he was present at that year's Comic-Con at the same time as Jon Favreau and Louis Letterier were just getting going on the first Iron Man and The Incredible Hulk. Four years later, and Marvel's four-year plan seems to be on track, but there's been no confirmation that Ant-Man would be Wright's next priority after finishing up Scott Pilgrim vs. the World, so that was one thing we wanted to ask Marvel Studios' top man about.

He told us, "Edgar was in L.A. last week, we sat down, and we started working on a calendar of when to get him back into it once he finishes promoting 'Scott Pilgrim,' so I think towards the end of this year, early next year we'd start looking at early prep for that, but certainly for a release date after 'The Avengers.'"

Also we wanted to quickly ask Feige about the rumors on CHUD earlier this week, reported here, about Marvel Studios looking to make lower-budget movies based on some of the other Marvel characters not currently under license to other studios. Feige kept things close to chest and wouldn't outright confirm or deny, although it certainly seems like a viable option:

"I saw that story the other day, and I was pleased with it," he replied. "It is something that we're looking at the ongoing cinematic universe and where to go after 'Avengers,' which we look at as a beginning and not an ending. Listen, the truth is that there are thousands and thousands of characters. Can they all be movies? No, but when you go and look again at the first two movies that started this new model era. The first one was 'Blade,' which no one knew was a Marvel character and never had his own title, was just an interesting character in 'Tomb of Dracula.' And then there was 'X-Men' which was the top-selling comic at the time for many, many years, and that was done well. So certainly we're making a conscious effort of looking at the characters, whether they have marquee value or not, are just interesting stories and can continue to define, which is what I've been trying to do, almost coming up on ten years at Marvel, to continue to push the boundaries of what a comic book movie is and a definition of a comic book movie. "

Look for our full interview with Feige sometime next week, in which he talks about the potential for Marvel movies in 3D and some of those Marvel characters currently under option at the other studios.

Mike
(Image)

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 12:56 am 
Editor Emeritus of SDCC

From IGN:

Is Mal Reynolds Ant-Man?

And other Marvel-ous mysteries.

May 17, 2010

by Scott Collura

Iron Man 2 has come and gone as far as the average fanboy is concerned, so now it's time to start turning our attention to every bit of minutia that comes from all the other in-progress superhero movies. Today's rumor? Serenity/Firefly star Nathan Fillion may be playing Ant-Man in the Avengers movie (and, presumably, the subsequent solo film for the character).

The Playlist Nation and Marvelous News have this report, which all stems from the tweets of a relatively unknown actor named Kevin Pennington (isn't that where all the news of the world comes from these days?). Essentially, he's been intimating that he'll be appearing in an upcoming Marvel picture, presumably Captain America. But as who?

Marvelous News thinks it'll be as a member of S.H.I.E.L.D., possibly "Dum Dum" Dugan, Wendell Vaughn (who eventually becomes Quasar), or Hawkeye. But a source tells Playlist that it wouldn't be the latter, nor would it be Ant-Man since Fillion is "locked-in" to the role. Allegedly, this Fillion casting would be announced at Comic-Con… and yet, another (apparently "high-end" source) denies that the actor will play the diminutive Avenger at all.

So what to take away from all of this? A whole lot of nothing, frankly, aside from the fact that some guy named Pennington might have a new job. Thank you for your time.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 9:17 pm 
Editor Emeritus of SDCC

From IGN:

Ant-Man Brings the Funny

Edgar Wright on the script's similarities with Iron Man

UK, June 30, 2010

by Chris Tilly IGN UK

With the release of Scott Pilgrim Vs. The World fast approaching, director Edgar Wright has started doing the publicity rounds, and making mention of his proposed next project, Ant-Man.

Speaking to Box Office Magazine, Wright explained that his adaptation will be slightly different to the average superhero origin story, with the emphasis being on the funny.

"I haven't actually started the second draft yet" he explained. "I'm not going to be able to until this film [Scott Pilgrim] is out, but what we wrote for the first draft, and what Marvel really liked, is that it's funny, but it's a genre film. It's about the level of comedy that Iron Man has.

"The idea is to make a high-concept genre film where it's within another genre. His suit and its power is the big gadget and it takes place in the real world. I just wanted to do something that was slightly different than the superhero origin film. I felt that between that and the various mad scientist, crazy doctor films that we've all seen, this would be a way into an origin that was slightly different."

So that's the first new titbit of news regarding Ant-Man, but expect more to spill forth as the Scott Pilgrim publicity tour heats up.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 5:49 am 
Editor Emeritus of SDCC

From IGN:

Ant-Man a Bad-Ass

Edgar Wright discusses plans for the tiny superhero.

UK, August 17, 2010

by Chris Tilly IGN UK

Edgar Wright has been discussing his plans for the forthcoming Ant-Man, saying that he wants the character to be a 'bad-ass' in the movie.

Speaking to Vanity Fair, Wright said "I know there's a bit stigma attached to it, mostly because every movie about shrinking has been about people in peril. I think it would be great to do a shrinking film about a bad-ass secret agent."

Claiming the film will be "much cooler than you think," Wright continues "Even something like The Incredible Shrinking Man, which is a fantastic film, is about a guy in trouble. But this is going to be nothing like that. It's essentially a high-tech spy heist film with somebody with a very particular power."

Wright has already had a first pass at the script, with the helmer set to start work on a second draft once he completes the international press tour for Scott Pilgrim.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 7:20 am 
Editor Emeritus of SDCC

Edgar Wright is Writing Ant-Man Again

by SuperHeroHype

Jan 13th, 2011

Has resumed writing this week

Scott Pilgrim vs. the World co-writer/director Edgar Wright tells 24 Frames that he resumed writing the script for Marvel Studios' Ant-Man this week. It's been more that two years since he's had a chance to do so, though he had previously written a first draft of the script.

The site added that Wright had just come from a dinner meeting with Marvel Studios production head Kevin Feige.

Wright is penning the script with his The Adventures of Tintin: Secret of the Unicorn co-writer Joe Cornish.

"This one's not about about the urgency of summer tentpoles and things going into production without a script," said Wright, "It's slightly different than that."

Long-time readers may remember that SuperHeroHype spoke to Wright about taking on the character at Comic-Con nearly four and a half years ago, an interview you can read here.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 8:12 am 
Armored Avenger of Arduous Aspirations

I smell a turd.

I just don't know how they can make an Ant-Man movie any good.

Not every comic hero can make the transition to live action (in fact, most of them can't).

Trade Rating +55 and counting

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 11:00 pm 
willing to display nerd-rage meltdown for custom subnic

Shellhead wrote:
I smell a turd.

I just don't know how they can make an Ant-Man movie any good.

Not every comic hero can make the transition to live action (in fact, most of them can't).

Well, you couple that with the fact that Hank Pym has never been an incredibly popular character, and this probably means Daredevil 2 :roll:. I think he and Janet are essential to the Avengers team dynamic, but I don't think this will make for a good (or even decent) solo movie.

I don't fail, I just succeed at finding ways that don't work.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 8:09 pm 
Editor Emeritus of SDCC

From IGN:

Feige's Ant-Man Movie Update

Marvel Studios boss on Edgar Wright's film adaptation.

March 30, 2012

Could the long-gestating Ant-Man movie finally be moving ahead? Marvel Studios boss Kevin Feige sure seems confident about it.

Bleeding Cool chatted with Feige about the project, which has been scripted by Edgar Wright and Joe Cornish with Wright also slated to direct.

"It's somewhere. I'll just say it's closer than it's ever been in its long maybe eight year history, and I usually e-mail Edgar every two or three days and over those eight years its got further away and closer," said Feige. "We are now closer than we've ever been. So I hope it will come together shortly."

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 92 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next