Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Thu Jul 31, 2014 1:59 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 224 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 15  Next
 Post subject: Re: Guardians of the Galaxy
PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 8:29 pm 
Editor Emeritus of SDCC

James Gunn on Short List to Direct Guardians of the Galaxy?

by SuperHeroHype

August 18, 2012

When Marvel Studios announced last month that they were gearing up for a movie starring the space-faring Guardians of the Galaxy, there were lots of fan discussions about who could possibly direct such a venture, a film that woud require action and humor as well as an ability to manage a huge amount of special FX. (A potential director was discussed on the first episode of SuperHeroHype's Hero Chat.)

Now, according to The Hollywood Reporter, filmmaker James Gunn is being mentioned as one of Marvel's top choices to direct the movie, saying that they like his sensibilities and his ability to mix action and horror, something he shares with The Avengers director Joss Whedon (who also wrote and produced the long-delayed Cabin in the Woods, released a month before the summer blockbuster).

Gunn previously directed the horror comedy Slither and the violent superhero comedy Super, starring Rainn Wilson and Ellen Page, neither huge box office successes, but before that, he wrote the Dawn of the Dead remake for Zack Snyder and the Warner Bros. live action Scooby-Doo and its sequel.

Other names in the running according to the story are Peyton Reed, who directed mainstream comedies Bring It On, The Break-Up and Yes Man and was also the original planned director for 20th Century Fox's Fantastic Four, and the more unconventional choice of indie filmmakers Ryan Fleck and Anna Boden who came onto the scene as the directors of Half Nelson, starring Ryan Gosling, before directing the baseball drama Sugar and the coming-of-age movie It's Kind of a Funny Story. Incidentally, Fleck and Boden were just recently announced to direct Mississippi Grind, potentially starring Jake Gyllenhaal.

The original script for "Guardians" was drafted by Nicole Sperling and earlier this month, Marvel Studios hired Chris McCoy to rewrite the space adventure that recently had a synopsis released on a tracking board stating that the movie's about "a U.S. pilot who ends up in space in the middle of a universal conflict and goes on the run with futuristic ex-cons who have something everyone wants."

As is normally the case, Marvel Studios won't comment on deals and negotiations in progress so we probably won't know who scored the gig until they announce something official.

In the meantime, you can read some of our previous interviews with Gunn here, here and here.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 12:27 pm 
Editor Emeritus of SDCC

Guardians of the Galaxy Writers Talk Translation to Film

by SuperHeroHype

August 24, 2012

Comic writers Dan Abnett and Andy Lanning have a knack for writing space stories, which collectively we've all dubbed "cosmic." The pair are responsible for the 2008 interpretation of the Guardians of the Galaxy of which the newest Marvel Studios film appears to be heavily influenced by.

In an interview with CBR, the pair talked about the movie and what it means to them to see their characters put up on the big screen. Here's an excerpt from the interview:

And now as a testament to the work you guys did there, Marvel is making a "Guardians of the Galaxy" movie which, from the concept art, seems to feature your core team. What was your initial reaction to that happening? Did you expect that they might even make a cartoon of this cast let alone a full Hollywood movie?

Abnett: Not at all. The fact that Marvel has decided that that makes good sense for them to do, it's a huge compliment. We're very excited to see what happens, and we're very excited to see where they go with it. I think anybody -- I don't care how devoted a Star-Lord or Rocket Raccoon fan you were even two years ago -- who would have said that this would make a great main movie would have been laughed off. It's such an unlikely thing to do. So I think it's lovely to work on something and expose its potential to the point where a company like Marvel will say, "Yes, this makes sense." We're very excited. It's very interesting to look at it happening.

Lanning: And it was one of those things where we were approached to do the Guardians episode of "Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes." We wrote that story, which was one of those things where you're thinking, "Wow! They're taking our guys seriously!" Chris Yost, who contacted us to do that episode, was very generous to let us write it. I think there was a sniff in the air that these characters had potential, but to actually use our cast to make a movie is fantastic. We've been on the record saying that as much as anybody, we're happy to sit back as fans and enjoy the ride. We hope it does this justice and do all the things this idea has the potential to achieve.

And as a follow up, have you been involved at all in the process of the movie whether in terms of consulting on the film or any kind of financial gain?

Abnett: These are Marvel's characters, and they will develop them as they see fit. Like I said, it's a huge compliment to us that they're doing that, but I think it's only fair to say that we haven't really been consulted in any way, shape or form. We wrote this stuff essentially as work-for-hire, and if Marvel came to us and said, "Would you like to consult on the movie?" that would be lovely. But for now, our interpretation is there on the page.

Lanning: I think that's the way the business works sometimes. Sometimes you do get consulted and it's fantastic, but other times they just do the movies on their own. They're using the comics as a source material, and what they do with that, they're at liberty to do. You have to be professional about that and see the fact that they're using this material as a huge compliment anyway. And if at any point they consult us or we get a ticket to the premier, that's a cherry on the cake as far as we're concerned. Of course, we'd be involved at the drop of a hat. Who wouldn't be? But you've also got to be professional about the whole thing.

Guardians of the Galaxy is scheduled to hit theaters on August 1, 2014.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 10:53 pm 
Editor Emeritus of SDCC

Joss Whedon Believes in James Gunn's Guardians of the Galaxy

by SuperHeroHype

September 10, 2012

MTV caught up with The Avengers writer/director Joss Whedon at TIFF and one of the topics they broached was how Marvel is planning on making Guardians of the Galaxy their next big franchise. He admits he was skeptical that the film could work himself, but when Marvel told him that they were looking at James Gunn he said they'd be fine.

"I myself was sort of like, 'Well, I liked Rocket Raccoon as a kid, but I'm not sure how that plays [to a wider audience].' And then they said, 'Well, we're thinking about using James Gunn.' And I said, 'Oh, then no, you're fine.' He is so off the wall, and so crazy, but so smart, such a craftsman and he builds from his heart. He loves the raccoon. Needs the raccoon," said Whedon.

He added that Gunn has barely started on the script. "He has a very twisted take on it, but it all comes from a real love for the material. It's going to be hard for the humans to keep up. I know he's going to come from left field and I'm going to go, 'What?' And then, 'Of course, why didn't I think of that?' And then I'm going to beat him!"

The team will consist of Star-Lord, Drax the Destroyer, Groot, Rocket Racoon and Gamora. Guardians of the Galaxy is slated to hit theaters August 1, 2014.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 9:05 pm 
Editor Emeritus of SDCC

James Gunn Confirmed to Direct and Rewrite Guardians of the Galaxy

by SuperHeroHype

September 18, 2012

It's official! James Gunn has confirmed that he'll both rewrite and direct Marvel Studios' Guardians of the Galaxy, planned for release on August 1, 2014. The Slither and Super director made the following statement on his official Facebook page:

For a month or so there’s been a lot of Internet speculation about my involvement with Marvel’s Guardians of the Galaxy. Until now I haven’t said anything, because I’m trying to be less expulsive about this project than I am about the rest of my life. But last night I got the go-ahead from Kevin Feige to let you all know that, yes, indeed, I am rewriting and directing Guardians of the Galaxy. As a lifelong lover of Marvel comics, space epics, AND raccoons, this is the movie I’ve been waiting to make since I was nine years old. Kevin, Joss, and all the folks at Marvel have been amazing collaborators so far, and we’re committed to bringing you something majestic, beautiful, and unique. I am incredibly excited. I am also incredibly grateful to the fans and the press for all their words of encouragement and support regarding my involvement with this project since the news first leaked. Thanks – you have, honestly, touched and overwhelmed me. And that’s it for now. Other than the occasional photos of my dog and cat here on Facebook, I’ll talk to you again in August 2014 when Guardians is released!

The previous script was drafted by Chris McCoy and Nicole Periman and the team has been confirmed to include Star-Lord, Drax the Destroyer, Groot, Rocket Racoon and Gamora.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 7:56 am 
Armored Avenger of Arduous Aspirations

I smell flop.

Hope I'm wrong, but I'm just not getting a good vibe about this one (same goes for the ever delayed Ant-man project).

Trade Rating +55 and counting

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 8:47 am 
Shudders at the Thought of Swamp-Crotch Chafing

I think its going to depend on how seriously it takes itself.

If it goes in and tries to make it "fit" the built universe and be "realistic", then I agree with you.

If it goes in and says, "ya know what? this is a fairly goofy concept, but we're gonna go balls to wall, heavy g-force, thrillride, kinda funky..." I think there is a good chance it'll be another Marvel Hit.

Couldn't have said it better myself.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 12:45 am 
Editor Emeritus of SDCC

Learn Who's in the Running to Play Star-Lord in Marvel's Guardians of the Galaxy

by SuperHeroHype

November 28, 2012

Quite arguably Marvel Studios' most offbeat property to date, James Gunn's Guardians of the Galaxy is now in the casting stage and today Deadline has learned of eight actors up for the role of Peter Quill, aka Star-Lord.

According to the site, the current list of names auditioning for the part includes Joel Edgerton (Zero Dark Thirty), Garrett Hedlund (TRON: Legacy), Jack Huston ("Boardwalk Empire"), James Marsden (X-Men), Lee Pace (The Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn - Part 2), Eddie Redmayne (My Week with Marilyn), Jim Sturgess (Cloud Atlas) and Sullivan Stapleton (Animal Kingdom).

The Quill character is likely to be the central protagonist of the film. Raised on Earth, Quill learns that his father was from outer space and is drawn into an intergalactic conflict that eventually leads to him becoming the leader of the Guardians of the Galaxy.

Also said to be on the movie team's roster are the characters Drax the Destroyer, Groot, Rocket Racoon and Gamora. Check back for casting details on those roles as they emerge.

Guardians of the Galaxy is set for release on August 1, 2014.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 6:07 am 
too much stick, not enough carrot

Dear LORD anyone but Marsden. Ugh.

DC/WB is all like "Wonder Woman's too confusing for a movie!" and Marvel/Disney is all like "Here's a raccoon with a machine gun".

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 6:30 am 
Disney is not his cup of tea

Oh I would see this just for Jack Huston... he's brilliant in Boardwalk Empire although it would be weird to see him with a complete face like in those Bacardi commercials.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 4:21 pm 
Editor Emeritus of SDCC

Lee Pace Says He's Auditioning for Guardians of the Galaxy on Monday

by SuperHeroHype

December 07, 2012

Last week we learned about eight actors that were on the short list for the lead role of Peter Quill/Star-Lord in Marvel's new franchise Guardians of the Galaxy. Among the list was actor Lee Pace (The Hobbit films, The Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn - Part 2, "Pushing Daisies"). MTV spoke with Pace about the role and he said he's going in to audition for the part on Monday.

"I'm very excited about it. The script is great. The character is a lot of fun."

When asked if he's been doing his homework and reading up on Star-Lord he replied: "I have been, You want to know what you're doing. The character is a lot of fun. I hope it works out."

You can watch the rest of his interview with MTV here.

The rest of supposed contenders for the role are Joel Edgerton (Zero Dark Thirty), Garrett Hedlund (TRON: Legacy), Jack Huston ("Boardwalk Empire"), James Marsden (X-Men), Eddie Redmayne (My Week with Marilyn), Jim Sturgess (Cloud Atlas) and Sullivan Stapleton (Animal Kingdom).

The Quill character is likely to be the central protagonist of the film. Raised on Earth, Quill learns that his father was from outer space and is drawn into an intergalactic conflict that eventually leads to him becoming the leader of the Guardians of the Galaxy.

Also said to be on the movie team's roster are the characters Drax the Destroyer, Groot, Rocket Racoon and Gamora. Check back for casting details on those roles as they emerge.

Guardians of the Galaxy is set to be released on August 1, 2014.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 4:33 pm 
Editor Emeritus of SDCC

Guardians of the Galaxy Lead Allegedly Down to Two Names

Source: SuperHeroHype

December 21, 2012

Last month, news broke of a short list of five actors in contention for the leading role of Peter Quill (aka Star-Lord) in James Gunn's upcoming Guardians of the Galaxy. Today, Variety offers an update that claims the list has shrunk to two names: Jim Sturgess (Cloud Atlas) and Zachary Levi ("Chuck").

Levi, who is already set to appear in the Marvel cinematic universe as Fandral in the upcoming Thor: The Dark World, did not appear on the original short list.

Quite arguably Marvel Studios' most offbeat property to date, Guardians of the Galaxy's roster is also said to include Drax the Destroyer, Groot, Rocket Racoon and Gamora. Check back for casting details on those roles as they emerge.

Guardians of the Galaxy is set for release on August 1, 2014.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 12:24 pm 
Editor Emeritus of SDCC

Joseph Gordon-Levitt Being Considered for Guardians of the Galaxy

by SuperHeroHype

January 02, 2013

A few weeks ago, it was reported that the short list for the Guardians of the Galaxy leading role Peter Quill (aka Star-Lord) was down to just two names - Jim Sturgess (Cloud Atlas) and Zachary Levi ("Chuck"). Now, Deadline is reporting that The Dark Knight Rises star Joseph Gordon-Levitt is being considered for the role as well.

Previous contenders for the role were Joel Edgerton (Zero Dark Thirty), Garrett Hedlund (TRON: Legacy), Jack Huston ("Boardwalk Empire"), James Marsden (X-Men), Eddie Redmayne (My Week with Marilyn) and Sullivan Stapleton (Animal Kingdom).

Guardians of the Galaxy is set to be released on August 1, 2014.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 1:52 pm 
too much stick, not enough carrot

No. Just no.

DC/WB is all like "Wonder Woman's too confusing for a movie!" and Marvel/Disney is all like "Here's a raccoon with a machine gun".

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 10:48 am 
Editor Emeritus of SDCC

Michael Rosenbaum Also in the Running for Guardians of the Galaxy Lead

by SuperHeroHype

January 03, 2013

Michael Rosenbaum is no stranger to superheroes having provided the voice for The Flash in the Justice League, Teen Titans, and Static Shock cartoons, Deadman in Batman: The Brave and the Bold, and playing Lex Luthor in over 150 episodes on the very successful CW series Smallville. But it seems Rosenbaum could make the leap to Marvel as he tweeted this message yesterday:

Read for my pal @JamesGunn GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY for PETER QUILL. What a treat! Thanks Jimmy. @Marvel

Rosenbaum isn't the only new name to be added to the potential Peter Quill list as Joseph Gordon-Levitt is said to be on the short list of actors which also includes Jim Sturgess (Cloud Atlas) and Zachary Levi ("Chuck").

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 11:03 am 
Still ahead of Mudd

I like Rosenbaum-- he can play serious and goofy-- so I think would work whichever way they decide the picture to go--

Levi is pretty much Chuck, cant take him serious in another role.sorry hes typecast...

Have no clue about Sturgess- and since I dont really have any GOG love- I guess I just dont care--

(except no Gordon-Levitt-- I just dont get how he as gotten to be Hollywoods go to guy now..)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 224 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 15  Next