Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Tue Sep 16, 2014 9:40 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 245 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 17  Next
 Post subject: Re: Guardians of the Galaxy
PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 11:07 am 
too much stick, not enough carrot

Agree 100% with Stewbacca's points. NO to JGL. Michael Rosenbaum though? Now that I could see.

DC/WB is all like "Wonder Woman's too confusing for a movie!" and Marvel/Disney is all like "Here's a raccoon with a machine gun".

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 1:43 pm 
Editor Emeritus of SDCC

Guardians of the Galaxy Will Shoot This Summer

by SuperHeroHype

January 11, 2013

Screen Daily is reporting that Marvel Studios' Guardians of the Galaxy will be headed to England for it's filming. The production will work at Shepperton Studios of the Pinewood Group and filming will begin this summer. Guardians of the Galaxy will follow in the footsteps of their latest production, Thor: The Dark World, which spent some time at Shepperton Studios.

Guardians of the Galaxy is being directed by James Gunn (Super, Slither) from a script originally drafted by Chris McCoy and Nicole Periman. The team in the film will consist of Star-Lord, Drax the Destroyer, Groot, Rocket Racoon and Gamora.

Guardians of the Galaxy is set to be released on August 1, 2014.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 7:50 pm 
Editor Emeritus of SDCC

Captain America: The Winter Soldier & Guardians of the Galaxy Will be Released in 3D

by SuperHeroHype

January 14, 2013

It shouldn't surprise anyone that Walt Disney Pictures has officially announced that Marvel Studios' Captain America: The Winter Soldier and Guardians of the Galaxy will be shown in 3D when they're released.

The trend started with 2011's Thor and each film since (Captain America: The First Avenger, The Avengers, and the upcoming Iron Man 3 and Thor: The Dark World) have been shown in the format.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 8:58 pm 
Editor Emeritus of SDCC

Is Marvel Courting Jim Carrey and Adam Sandler for Guardians of the Galaxy?

by SuperHeroHype

January 23, 2013

There's been a lot of talk about who will play the lead role in Marvel Studios' upcoming Guardians of the Galaxy, but not as much for the supporting cast. Latino Review is reporting that Marvel is looking into the availabilty of actors Jim Carrey and Adam Sandler for the film. It's not clear which roles they're looking at for them, but the most sensible answer would be the tiny, loud-mouthed rodent Rocket Raccoon.

The site also reports that Wes Bentley, Chris Lowell and Cam Gigandet are on the list for the Peter Quill/Star-Lord character. None of this has been confirmed by the studio, so it should be treated strictly as a rumor for now.

Guardians of the Galaxy will be directed by James Gunn (Super, Slither) from a script originally drafted by Chris McCoy and Nicole Periman. The team in the film will consist of Star-Lord, Drax the Destroyer, Groot, Rocket Raccoon and Gamora.

Guardians of the Galaxy is set to film this summer in London and will be released on August 1, 2014.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 5:06 am 
there were horses, and a man on fire, and I killed a guy with a trident

Please, God, not Adam Sandler. He turns everything he touches into turds. He's a reverse King Midas.

"I knew we'd made a mistake the minute I saw that little bologna loaf in the hospital bassinet." - Calvin's Dad.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 1:04 pm 
Editor Emeritus of SDCC

Chris Pratt to Lead Guardians of the Galaxy

by SuperHeroHype

February 05, 2013

James Gunn's Guardians of the Galaxy has found its lead. Deadline is reporting that "Parks & Recreation" and Zero Dark Thirty star Chris Pratt will play Peter Quill (aka Star-Lord) in the August 1, 2014 release.

The Quill character is likely to be the central protagonist of the film. Raised on Earth, Quill learns that his father was from outer space and is drawn into an intergalactic conflict that eventually leads to him becoming the leader of the team.

Quite arguably Marvel Studios' most offbeat property to date, Guardians of the Galaxy's roster is also said to include Drax the Destroyer, Groot, Rocket Racoon and Gamora. Check back for casting details on those roles as they emerge.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 7:47 pm 
there were horses, and a man on fire, and I killed a guy with a trident

Please don't let this mean Pratt leaves Parks and Rec. Andy is right up there with Ron Swanson as one of my favorite characters. And April without him just wouldn't be the same.

"I knew we'd made a mistake the minute I saw that little bologna loaf in the hospital bassinet." - Calvin's Dad.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 2:11 pm 
Editor Emeritus of SDCC

Might Jason Momoa Play Guardians of the Galaxy's Drax the Destroyer?

by SuperHeroHype

February 15, 2013

Those guys at Latino Review seem to be on a roll today and while announcing that Harrison Ford is returning for Star Wars: Episode VII is somewhat of a no-brainer that hopefully will be confirmed by Lucasfilm soon, their latest casting scoop is up there with some of their best as they've discovered who has scored the role of Drax the Destroyer in Marvel Studios' outer space epic Guardians of the Galaxy.

It's none other than Jason Momoa, who played Khal Drogo in HBO's "Game of Thrones" and starred in Lionsgate's rebooted Conan the Barbarian!

Most recently, Momoa was seen opposite Sylvester Stallone in the Walter Hill graphic novel adaptation Bullet to the Head.

According to "El Mayimbe," Momoa "flew out to London to screen test on Wednesday" and that he was among a small group that included Isiah Mustafa, Dave Bautista, and Brian Patrick who tested for the role. He continues that "According to sources, Momoa’s screen test went so good that Marvel offered him the part and his reps have now countered, so the negotiations are ongoing."

Because the contract hasn't been signed and there hasn't been an official announcement by Marvel Studios or Disney yet, this casting may change, but this definitely sounds more on par with the kind of scoop we expect to get from the guys at Latino Review.

(Note: According to The Hollywood Reporter's Borys Kitt, no offer has gone out to Momoa as of yet, as he posted on Twitter: "Clarity Alert: My sources are telling me Jason Momoa TESTED for Drax the Destroyer/GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY but at this time has NO offer.")

Director James Gunn is currently a week into pre-production in London, so we can probably expect more casting news in the coming weeks with Guardians of the Galaxy planned for release on August 1, 2014.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 2:46 pm 
too much stick, not enough carrot

Eh Charlie-27 is cooler.

And I would much rather have seen the guy that plays Kurt on Big Bang Theory get it. He would have been perfect.

DC/WB is all like "Wonder Woman's too confusing for a movie!" and Marvel/Disney is all like "Here's a raccoon with a machine gun".

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 11:42 am 
Armored Avenger of Arduous Aspirations

Fone Bone wrote:
Please don't let this mean Pratt leaves Parks and Rec. Andy is right up there with Ron Swanson as one of my favorite characters. And April without him just wouldn't be the same.

To me, Ron Swanson is the best (not surprising, considering my political views) by far. Andy's dopey comments and antics get a little old.

I do like the show in general, however. But if Ron ever leaves, I won't continue to watch. It's very refreshing to have a conservative character that's not an "evil, corporate" villain.

So we finally have something we can agree on, Fone! :D

As far as Pratt goes, I don't think he's leading man material. I fear Andy has typecast him as a lovable goofball. He even channeled some of that in ZeroDarkThirty.

Trade Rating +55 and counting

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 2:07 pm 
Still ahead of Mudd

Shellhead wrote:
It's very refreshing to have a conservative character that's not an "evil, corporate" villain.

Umm-- how about Sledgehammer--

although I guess one every 20 years still isnt very good

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 2:57 pm 

I'm not familiar with Sledgehammer. What movie/show is he/she/it from?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 9:11 am 
Still ahead of Mudd

Sledgehammer-- 80s TV show detective/cop.., used to watch it all the time with my dad as a kid.

It was a comedy -Think if Tackleberry from Police Academy-and Lt. Dreben from Police Squad (naked gun) were combined-- he was a gun loving Reaganite who solved crimes by pure luck.

For example from the wiki--

episode 2, "Hammer Gets Nailed", Hammer addresses the stereotype of policemen and donuts, stating that the fat in donuts gums up the arteries and goes into the brain, making the person liberal; hence, he prefers granola bars. :P

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sledge_Hammer!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 11:48 am 

I vaguely recall that show. Didn't it end with the city blowing up?

And then the next season started with something along the lines of "this season takes place one year earlier than the events of last season."

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 5:11 am 
Editor Emeritus of SDCC

James Gunn Talks Guardians of the Galaxy

by SuperHeroHype

April 18, 2013

Marvel Studios' most risky film to date is the upcoming Guardians of the Galaxy and they've kept much of what it will consist of a secret. Luckily, Hey U Guys caught up with the film's director, James Gunn, at the UK premiere for Iron Man 3 and managed to get him to open up about the film. Based on the concept art that has been released for the film, they drew comparisons to Star Wars which Gunn seemed to think was inaccurate.

"I do think we’re very, very different from Star Wars. Some of the concept art that came out is under my tutelage, and some of it is before my tutelage. The concept art that came out is only stuff that was on the big Marvel collected disc set, talking about phase two and it had some stuff from Guardians. Some of the art by Charlie Wen and the guys. The Rocket Racoon that was by itself was an early version of my Rocket that I dealt with Charlie when developing. He doesn’t look so much like that anymore, but there’s a lot of similarities in that he’s more of a grounded, real little creature as opposed to a cartoonish thing."

The most talked about aspect for the film is how Marvel Studios will make a talking mercenary racoon feel natural, and Gunn has been doing his homework.

"I’ve done a lot of studying with real racoons, and we had real racoons come in. We’ve done photography with them, I’ve played with racoons, and fed racoons, and dealt a lot with real racoons to get some of the behaviour down, because it’s really, really important to me that Rocket Racoon, who is the heart of the movie, is not a cartoon character, it’s not Bugs Bunny in the middle of The Avengers, it’s a real, little, somewhat mangled beast that’s alone. There’s no one else in the universe quite like him, he’s been created by these guys to be a mean-ass fighting machine."

The first cast member added to the film's growing roster was "Parks and Recreation's" Chris Pratt. Gunn says that though countless people auditioned, he knew that Pratt was perfect for the role.

"I was very specific that I wanted it to be somebody really extraordinary. I really had Robert Downey Jr. in mind a lot. You had this guy who came in and he inhabited Tony Stark, when you first saw Tony Stark he blew your mind, you couldn’t believe what you were seeing. I knew that I needed somebody to blow my mind like that. We saw a lot of very famous guys for the role, a lot of very well-known people, and very, very good actors. We saw a lot of good performances, but it wasn’t until Chris came in and he read and I was like, ‘oh my God’, this guy has his own, very particular, amazing take on the character that blew my mind, blew me away. Then I thought, this is the first guy I could see sharing the screen with Robert Downey Jr. and giving him a run for his money."

While Gunn already confirmed the movie is different from Star Wars, he indicates that it does feature similarities to The Avengers.

"In some ways yes, but in some ways no. In terms of a lot of stuff we’re very much like The Avengers, where it’s a very big, huge movie. It’s different because it’s cosmic, it’s in outer space, it’s very colourful. We have a whole history of science fiction behind us that we’re dealing with, and borrowing from, and also fighting with to create something unique. But at the same time there’s a lot of stuff it has in common with The Avengers."

Though he gave a coy reply, Gunn seemingly confirmed Zoe Saldana's involvement in the film in the interview - she was reported to be in talks for the role of Gamora a few weeks ago. He also mentions that we will be finding out who will fill the role of Rocket Raccoon in the coming weeks and that cameras will roll on "Guardians" starting in June.

Guardians of the Galaxy is targeting an August 1, 2014 release.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 245 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 17  Next