Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Wed Feb 22, 2017 11:46 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Marvel Phase 4 Wishlist
PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 7:40 am 
too much stick, not enough carrot

Yeah yeah, I know it's years away. But when they were announcing phase 3, and we were all going insane, I couldn't help but think. What's next? Here's what I'd like to see. This is just my preference. I know there are a ton of ways they could go. But I tried to plot out a logical path for their phase 4.

1. Ant-Man 2 & Black Panther 2
I'm not totally convinced Ant-Man is going to be a success. I hope it will. This is probably the most questionable one they've done, just because of what's happened during production. But if it hits, they'll be silly not to do a sequel. And there are so many ways they can go with it. Black Panther, to me at least, is far less risky. They'd really have to screw up big time for this not to be a hit.

2. Spider-Woman
Okay, we've got the first one out of the way. So now let's get another female movie going. Since there seems to be no chance Black Widow will get her own movie, we go with another spider themed heroine. Shield ties? Check. Established female superhero? Check. Poke in the eye to Sony? Double check.

3. Inhumans 2
I love this team, and I can't wait for the first one. I think a sequel would be pretty much a given. Lots of characters they can focus on, and if they want to challenge Fox's X-Men directly this is where they do it.

4. Alpha Flight
Stop laughing. This has HUGE genre potential if done right. Non-american based team, new power sets, several strong female leads. Plus it opens up yet another segment of the Marvel Universe. I'm not sure who holds the rights, but if it's Marvel bring it on!

5. Midnight Sons
Look, Blade's had 3 movies that were at least decent at times. Ghost Rider has had 2 that well, weren't lol. Dr Strange will have had 1 by the time they get to this point. So if you want to recast the first 2, but maybe not risk the farm by giving the characters solo films, how could you do it? TEAM-UP baby. They've already shown a willingness with the Defenders. They could follow that model in reverse - one movie with the main 3 and a couple lower tier guys. Then spin into TV shows. Or even solo movies if the characters click.

6. New Warriors / Nova
Here's another one of those genres Disney likes to mine. One could lead to the other, and it doesn't matter really which comes first. I think Nova would be the more natural fit, but it would work either way.

7. Avengers 4
Take an all new team with maybe one carry over from the previous bunch. Pit them up against Kang and turn things loose. If you look at any top 10 Avengers villains list, the order might change but the top 4 usually don't. Ultron, Thanos, Loki, Kang. Which of the 4 haven't we seen yet hahaha?

8. World War Hulk
This could (and in my opinion should) be the finale of phase 4. If done right, this could put Civil War to shame. Take a VERY angry, intelligent Hulk. Give him his own team, and pit them up against everyone. Spin it right out of Avengers 4. Maybe Kang does something and the Avengers allow it that pushes him over the edge.

What do you think?

DC/WB is all like "Wonder Woman's too confusing for a movie!" and Marvel/Disney is all like "Here's a raccoon with a machine gun".

Post subject: Re: Marvel Phase 4 Wishlist
PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 10:23 am 
Editor Emeritus of SDCC

texgnome1 wrote:
1. Ant-Man 2 & Black Panther 2
I'm not totally convinced Ant-Man is going to be a success. I hope it will. This is probably the most questionable one they've done, just because of what's happened during production. But if it hits, they'll be silly not to do a sequel. And there are so many ways they can go with it. Black Panther, to me at least, is far less risky. They'd really have to screw up big time for this not to be a hit.

With ya all the way. For future Ant-Man movies, I'd like to see Whirlwind, Eric O'Grady and Rita DeMara. Rita ties in nicely with Guardians of the Galaxy, too. Klaw will surely be the big bad in the first Panther film, but I hope the sequels bring us Man-Ape, Erik Killmonger and The White Wolf.

Quote:
2. Spider-Woman
Okay, we've got the first one out of the way. So now let's get another female movie going. Since there seems to be no chance Black Widow will get her own movie, we go with another spider themed heroine. Shield ties? Check. Established female superhero? Check. Poke in the eye to Sony? Double check.

Heh. "Poke in the eye to Sony" I like the way you think. :wink:

Don't forget, besides Jessica Drew there's also the Julia Carpenter Spider-Woman. If the Avengers ever move out west Julia would make a great addition to the team.

Quote:
3. Inhumans 2
I love this team, and I can't wait for the first one. I think a sequel would be pretty much a given. Lots of characters they can focus on, and if they want to challenge Fox's X-Men directly this is where they do it.

Yep.

Quote:
4. Alpha Flight
Stop laughing. This has HUGE genre potential if done right. Non-american based team, new power sets, several strong female leads. Plus it opens up yet another segment of the Marvel Universe. I'm not sure who holds the rights, but if it's Marvel bring it on!

I was just thinking about this the other day. Marvel Studios does so well internationally that it's only a matter of time before we see characters from other countries. I bet Captain Britain is on the short list.

Quote:
5. Midnight Sons
Look, Blade's had 3 movies that were at least decent at times. Ghost Rider has had 2 that well, weren't lol. Dr Strange will have had 1 by the time they get to this point. So if you want to recast the first 2, but maybe not risk the farm by giving the characters solo films, how could you do it? TEAM-UP baby. They've already shown a willingness with the Defenders. They could follow that model in reverse - one movie with the main 3 and a couple lower tier guys. Then spin into TV shows. Or even solo movies if the characters click.

I was thinking Marvel Knights. Moon Knight, Daredevil, Punisher, Ghost Rider, Dr. Strange, Black Widow. Maybe add Cloak and Dagger, Master of Kung-Fu, Blade, Powerman and Nick Fury later down the road. Marvel Knights or Midnight Sons would be a good "catch-all" for the urban street level and horror type characters.

Quote:
6. New Warriors / Nova
Here's another one of those genres Disney likes to mine. One could lead to the other, and it doesn't matter really which comes first. I think Nova would be the more natural fit, but it would work either way.

New Warriors would be great. I'd love to see it.

Quote:
7. Avengers 4
Take an all new team with maybe one carry over from the previous bunch. Pit them up against Kang and turn things loose. If you look at any top 10 Avengers villains list, the order might change but the top 4 usually don't. Ultron, Thanos, Loki, Kang. Which of the 4 haven't we seen yet hahaha?

I think Kang offers so many great time travel stories. The Avengers could go back to the 20th century and meet the Invaders. Or head to the 30th century and meet the original Guardians of the Galaxy. Or travel back to the 19th century and team up with the Western heroes like Two-Gun Kid, Kid Colt and the original Ghost Rider.

Quote:
8. World War Hulk
This could (and in my opinion should) be the finale of phase 4. If done right, this could put Civil War to shame. Take a VERY angry, intelligent Hulk. Give him his own team, and pit them up against everyone. Spin it right out of Avengers 4. Maybe Kang does something and the Avengers allow it that pushes him over the edge.

I've got to think at some point we'll see this. Great story.

Quote:
What do you think?

I hope we see a lot of your choices!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 10:52 am 
Ball Jointed

My hopes are that Marvel gets the rights back for Spider-Man, X-Men, and the Fantastic Four and does right by them.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2014 8:44 am 

Fone, I think we ALL hope for that. The relationship between Fox and Marvel is SO very bad though. Their relationship with Sony - from what I hear - is actually pretty cordial. Even if they can't get Spidey back, I hope they can ALL see there's plenty of money for everyone if they can work out a deal.

SD, I actually had forgotten about Captain Britain because I assume most of Excalibur is tied up with Fox. But he'd definitely translate. I honestly though could see them doing Union Jack instead.

And Marvel Knights would be a great fit as well. They could do it similar to Expendables, with 100% less cheese haha...

DC/WB is all like "Wonder Woman's too confusing for a movie!" and Marvel/Disney is all like "Here's a raccoon with a machine gun".

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2014 9:06 pm 
Loose, Missing Package

She-Hulk.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2014 11:53 pm 
Mint on Card

SECONDED! And Howard the Duck.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2014 12:08 pm 
Still ahead of Mudd

THUNDERBOLTS-- and the MASTERS of EVIL VERSION-- not that stupid reboot...

Plus, although I would want my regulars-- Songbird, Moonstone, etc.. that would allow them to tweak it some and bring in previous villains from all the previous and upcoming movies.. (Batroc, Crossbones or Whiplash for example).

AVENGERS ACADEMY- or YOUNG AVENGERS (although personally I think AA has better characters- not as many analogs) -

Allows them to set up the new Generation...(and keep this going for another decade)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2014 1:12 pm 

Oh Stew that's a great idea. I'd love - LOVE - to see them start introducing the villains one or two at a time. Or even mentioning them. Then have a movie with them as a team. Go like the first 20 minutes with them in action. Heavy costumes with full masks etc. Then BAM! We're villains baby!

I'd love She-Hulk as well, but I could see her as a Netflix series or a part of WWH.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2014 1:48 pm 
Mint on Card

A mcu she hulk tv show would be rad.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2014 4:23 pm 
Editor Emeritus of SDCC

My own personal pie-in-the-sky wishlist.

The Invaders!

Image Image Image Image

The Golden Age of Marvel is so cool. The Marvel Universe has it's roots firmly entrenched in World War II and it would be fun to explore that. It was touched upon in Captain America: The First Avenger, but I'd love to go back. Agent Carter, Howard Stark, The Howling Commandos, Union Jack, maybe a guest appearance by Thor (Hiding the Tesseract where the Red Skull would eventually find it). Good story possibilities there.

And know thou this: If mention isn't made of Marvel Boy, The Blonde Phantom, Angel and The Vision, men will die.

Men may die anyway because I'm mean.

Killraven/War of the Worlds!

Image Image Image Image

What do you get when you combine the classic H.G. Wells novel "War of the Worlds" with elements of Doc Savage and Star Trek? With stories and art by Roy Thomas, Marv Wolfman, Don McGregor, Neal Adams, Howard Chaykin and P. Craig Russell? You get a bronze age masterpiece that is still a fondly remembered by fans to this day.

Do it, Kevin. You know you wanna.

Master of Kung-Fu!

Image Image Image Image

Perhaps more than any other title published by Marvel, Master of Kung-Fu belongs on the silver screen. After all, Bruce Lee, Sean Connery, Sir Alec Guinness, Ernest Borgnine, Christopher Lee, David Niven, Marlene Dietrich and Marlon Brando were all in it. It's true. Hunt down those issues and you'll see what I mean. You'll even see W.C. Fields and Groucho Marx.

It is Film Noir at it's finest. It's Sax Rohmer's pulp novel villain Dr. Fu Manchu combined with Ian Fleming's James Bond and the martial arts thrills of Bruce Lee's Enter The Dragon.

It doesn't get any better than this. It really doesn't.

Moon Knight!

Image Image Image Image

Cool visual and a great character.

Mike
(More later.)

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2014 11:09 pm 
Editor Emeritus of SDCC

Pressing on ...

The Thunderbolts!

Image Image Image Image

There were two good things that came out of Marvel's 1996 "Heroes Reborn" event.

First, it ended. Liefeld on Captain America? Ick!

Second, it allowed Kurt Busiek and Mark Bagley to create the Thunderbolts.

What a truly inspired masterpiece that comic was. No one had ever seen anything like it. It contained one of the truly great plot twists in the history of the medium. A group of heroes, gathered in response to fill a void caused by the disappearance of the Avengers and Fantastic Four. And then on the very last page of the first issue, these new heroes were revealed to be villains, led by Baron Zemo.

Throughout it's run, themes of redemption and the nature of heroism were often featured in the Thunderbolts. In subsequent storylines, the group rejected their leader Baron Zemo and attempted to become heroes in their own right, eventually under the leadership of the Avenger Hawkeye. This book had it all: Love, honor, sacrifice, heroism and villainy, with all the heart-stopping suspense and action you could hope for in a superhero comic.

Oh, yeah. This would be one killer movie.

Adam Warlock

Image Image Image Image

We already have Thanos and the Infinity Stones so it's only a matter of time. Jim Starlin's Warlock saga was one of the greatest stories in the history of Marvel Comics. I still believe Avengers Annual number seven was the best comic book I have ever read. It still hold up well to this day.

The Sub-Mariner!

Image Image Image Image

One of Marvel's most classic characters going all the way back to the Golden Age. I have to believe that rights issues are holding up a movie. I hope they get that resolved.

Ghost Rider!

Image Image Image Image

Back home with Marvel where it belongs.

You had your chance, Nic Cage.

Spider-Woman!

Image Image

For all the reasons that Tex mentioned.

She-Hulk!

Image Image Image

Written and directed by Joss Whedon? It would make more money than the last two Amazing Spider-Man movies combined.

Son of Satan!

Image Image Image

We're getting the cosmic side of the Marvel Universe with Guardians of the Galaxy and Captain Marvel. We're getting the gritty, street-level aspect with the Netflix shows. We're getting the supernatural with Doctor Strange. Now it's time to explore the horror side of Marvel. Son of Satan would be a good place to start.

Howard The Duck!

Image Image Image Image

Time to erase the 1986 Universal tragedy from the minds of men for all time. Let it be spoken of no more.

A great Howard The Duck film would be a wonderful tribute to the late Steve Gerber, surely one of the most unique creative minds that ever worked for Marvel.

Mike
(More later, perhaps.)

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2014 9:04 am 

Great list there SD. I like almost all of those. A couple of them I won't be surprised if they shunt to Netflix series. Just from the pattern they've laid out so far.

The Invaders
This is the only one I see being a problem. Not because it wouldn't be awesome, but just because of how they've laid out the MCU to this point. They'd have to do so much revising of the early MCU that I don't know that this would work. But I'd love to see them try.

Killraven/War of the Worlds
This one could work, and again it'd hit that genre theme Disney loves. But they'd have to do some retooling to make it work.

Master of Kung-Fu & Moon Knight
I'd love to see these on the big screen, but I don't see it happening. They didn't put Daredevil, Luke Cage or Iron Fist up there. I don't see them doing it with lesser known properties. However, Netflix series for both would just ROCK.

The Thunderbolts
I don't think it's possible for me to agree with you more. They have 5 years to start this. Have them show up in opening scenes. Mention them off screen getting their butts kicked. Show them in news clips on TVs in the background. Then DO IT. This movie would be such a departure, and as you stated the theme of redemption would rock the MCU to its core. Introduce Zemo in Cap 3, and you're SET.

Adam Warlock
This one is coming. They can say it's not, but at some point we're going to see it.

The Sub-Mariner
I want this, but I think it won't happen until Phase 5. They say they have movies mapped out through 2028 or something like that. And my understanding is Namor's movie rights are MOSTLY back at Marvel. So they're probably waiting on whatever rights are still in limbo to expire.

Ghost Rider & Hellstorm
I like both of these SD. I could fully see them using Dr Strange to introduce the Midnight Sons. Once they've gotten them up on the screen - whatever team they use - they can springboard off into solo movies for them.

Spider-Woman
I honestly don't understand why this hasn't happened. I won't be surprised if the deal - whatever it is - with Sony falls through to see this announced.

She-Hulk
I think we'll see Miss Walters soon. I'm surprised we haven't already. And handled by Joss Whedon? YES PLEASE. It'd be awesome to see them fit the legal aspect in.

Howard The Duck
Whew. You're pushing it. Not because it I don't think it can be good. Especially in the right hands. But this is so risky. There is such a stigma to this property. The first movie is almost universally despised, and it came out in 1986. I loved the cameo in GotG, but I think they'd be hard pressed to make a Howard film successful. I'd love to see them try, but I can't think of any other 30 year old movie that is hated that much.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2014 9:38 am 
Loose, Missing Package

Yeah, Howard was a bad movie but in a Rocky Horror kind of way. Not a great film but certainly watchable especially if you do an MST3K. It certainly is no Battlefield Earth by any means. I think a new one could be done as a fairly low budget film considering that the only expensive effect absolutely necessary is the duck himself. There are enough Garfield and Chipmunk movies out there to prove that budgeting wouldn't be impossible.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2014 2:16 pm 

Wow. How awesome will this be if it's true? My mind is reeling at the possibilities...

http://moviepilot.com/posts/2014/11/05/could-marvel-s-civil-war-really-begin-in-agents-of-s-h-i-e-l-d-2404909?lt_source=external,manual,manual,manual

Quote:
Could Marvel's Civil War Really Begin in Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.?
So, Civil War is coming to the Marvel Cinematic Universe.

Specifically, in May 2016, with Captain America: Civil War (and, who knows? Maybe in July 2016 too...)

From the looks of it, though, it might even be arriving a whole lot sooner than we think - with the first stirrings of the conflict looking set to appear in Avengers: Age of Ultron in May 2015.

What, though, if the Civil War is already beginning...

...on television?

More precisely, on Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D., the vanguard of Marvel Studios' attempt to conquer TV in the same way they have movies. And, what's more, what if we already know exactly how it's set to begin?

The First Clue

Way back in the chilly, mountainous wilds of September 24th, a young actor tweeted (and then swiftly deleted) something that - at the time - got a decent amount of press attention...

The reason for the interest? Adrianne Palicki had been announced to be playing Mockingbird just a month earlier - and now, the young actor Fran Kranz - who's worked with Joss Whedon a bunch of times, no less - was tweeting about Robbie Baldwin.

Otherwise known as Speedball.

And, as it turned out, the kinetic force field-wielding hero (his powers basically allow him to absorb the energy from any impact, meaning he can bounce off anything) known to his friends as Robbie Baldwin just happened to look a whole lot like Fran Kranz.... as well as having a similar comic-book characterization to Kranz's usual movie roles, including in the Whedon-produced Dollhouse and Cabin in the Woods.

So, the general assumption went, Speedball - played by Fran Kranz - would soon be making an appearance on Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. Which is great and all, but not exactly earth-shattering Civil War-related news.

Except, of course, that it totally is.

Speedball is a Key Player in Marvel's Civil War. Now, sure, Captain America and Iron Man may have led the two opposing sides, and Spider-Man's central dilemma may have been our way of connecting to the narrative - but without Speedball, there would never have been a comic-book Civil War in the first place.

Or, at least, he's a pretty fundamental part of why it happened...

(Note, SPOILERS from here on out, gang)

The major event that precipitated the Civil War was, after all, a major explosion in Stamford, Connecticut, that destroyed a huge area of the city, and killed 612 people (and 60 children).

Its cause?

A youthful superhero team (featuring Speedball) called the New Warriors were chasing down a group of villains as part of a reality TV show they were filming, including one named Nitro. Nitro caused the massive explosion, which only he - and Speedball - survived. After which, the movement for superhero registration, which provoked the Civil War, gathered momentum, with the New Warriors - and especially Speedball - taking much of the blame. So, for a faithful adaptation of Civil War, you need Speedball - and the superhero reality TV show he starred in.

Why Not Change Speedball, Though?

The thing is, Marvel seems set to alter a huge amount of the Civil War storyline anyway - Spider-Man, the Fantastic Four and the X-Men are all most likely not going to have a part of it - so why would they bother introducing the New Warriors anyway?

Well, first off, the Stamford tragedy is one of the most iconic moments in modern comics - which has become a major fan favorite. Not so much so that it'd cause protests, but it'd be a popular thing to include for many of us.

Secondly, Captain America: Civil War is most likely going to need an initial, shocking event to give the Civil War a reason to be - after all, if it's just a case of Captain America and Freedom versus Iron Man and the government, it's going to be a hard sell for the movie to get any of the audience on Tony's side. Add in a horrific tragedy, though, and things could be very different.

What That Means for Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.

Well, principally, it means that the show could well be given a much-increased role in altering the forthcoming Marvel Cinematic Universe, rather than just reacting to it.

After all, if Speedball does arrive on Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D., he's likely to appear in a form not too dissimilar to his pre-Stamford reality star form - one which would fit nicely into the shows more grounded approach to the universe.

In which case, that entire storyline - from the initial arrival of Speedball on - would mark the true beginnings of the Civil War - and the show would presumably follow the emergence of the New Warriors (or an equivalent reality TV show-starring team) in the months and years leading up to Captain America: Civil War in May 2016.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2014 9:48 am 
Mint on Card

Jim_Abell wrote:
Yeah, Howard was a bad movie but in a Rocky Horror kind of way. Not a great film but certainly watchable especially if you do an MST3K. It certainly is no Battlefield Earth by any means. I think a new one could be done as a fairly low budget film considering that the only expensive effect absolutely necessary is the duck himself. There are enough Garfield and Chipmunk movies out there to prove that budgeting wouldn't be impossible.

There are also enough Garfield and chipmunk and turtles and transformer movies out there to prove that just because your first and second attempts at making something are shingyblingy, it doesn't mean it won't get another chance at being a movie.