Post subject: Shazam! Movie
PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 8:28 am 
too much stick, not enough carrot

Black Adam has officially been cast.

Courtesy of Newsarama

http://www.newsarama.com/22027-the-rock ... -role.html

Quote:
Official: Dwayne Johnson is BLACK ADAM for DC/WB's SHAZAM
Original Story: The Rock is saying SHAZAM, but it’s not to be Billy Batson’s alter-ego.

”"Kneel at his feet or get crushed by his boot." My honor to become.. #BlackAdam #TheAntiHero #DCComics” That’s what Dwayne “The Rock” Johnson tweeted just moments ago late Wednesday morning, apparently confirming that he is in fact taking the role of Black Adam in an upcoming movie for DC Entertainment.

DC/WB is all like "Wonder Woman's too confusing for a movie!" and Marvel/Disney is all like "Here's a raccoon with a machine gun".

Post subject: Re: Shazam! Movie
PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 8:30 am 

Oh and they actually have a screen writer (also per Newsarama).

Quote:
Update Noon EDT: And that didn't take long to build, as Variety has some more details, though again, these are sourced and now directly from Warner Brothers. The trade reports that Darren Lemke is writing the script of Shazam, with Dwayne Johnson listed as the star, playing the role of Black Adam. They describe the character as "more of an anti-hero trying to clear his name than a villain." They say that Lemke's hiring is a new one, but that the film may be fast-tracked once he's finished with the script.

Lemke's first produced screenplay was Jack the Giant Slayer, with Turbo and the upcoming book adaptation Goosebumps more recently on his resumé.

Quote:
Update 1215 EDT: Geoff Johns, Chief Creative Officer of DC Entertainment, tweeted, "Yes, @TheRock as Black Adam is official."

DC/WB is all like "Wonder Woman's too confusing for a movie!" and Marvel/Disney is all like "Here's a raccoon with a machine gun".

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 8:53 am 
Aspires to be #1

If nothing else, he brings star power to the movie and he'll certainly be a physical imposing presence.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 1:37 pm 

Yeah apparently they gave him his choice of Shazam or Black Adam. Honestly, I'm glad he went this way. He's a decent actor, with a ton of star power as you said. But I genuinely think he would have been wrong for Shazam. I can DEFINITELY see him as Black Adam though...

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 4:50 pm 
my apartment smells of rich mahogany

Awesome! Perfectly cast. And I think Brandon molale would be the absolute perfect Shazam.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 6:08 pm 
Grickle Grass Grower

Just read that this movie will not share the same universe as Justice League. Sucks! :x

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 6:46 pm 
my apartment smells of rich mahogany

Eh, neither does the dark knight trilogy and it's better than man of steel or anything we've heard so far about the snyderverse. I've only seen a little of arrow, but isn't that also better than mos? The pilot I saw for Constantine was. X men isn't part of the mu, and it still holds it's own, although it would be a lot cooler if marvel could put Spidey, doc doom, wolverine and the ff in a movie with the avengers, but it doesn't make them bad. Worst case scenario, the justice league movies are great and shazam isn't part of them. Best case (read:more likely) scenario, the snyderverse movies are crappy and shazam is spared the pain of being part of them.

Honestly, I think the most likely scenario is that the movies are crappy, they make a ton of money and shazam ends up in them anyway. But how do you make shazam -and black Adam especially- fit into an already crammed full movie? I think it will work better on its own.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2014 5:38 am 
serves the Otter

Krypton1976 wrote:
Just read that this movie will not share the same universe as Justice League. Sucks! :x
DC is REALLY bad at this.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 6:14 am 
MINT!

I think Shazam would be better suited to a Pixar type animation to fit the C.C Beck's vision. I see Captain Marvel as a fantasy of what a child would imagine being a superhero would be like. If they take him too serious I'm afraid the film will flop.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 10:41 am 
Damn you, Autocorrect!

Krypton1976 wrote:

Take a look at how they are now doing the animated releases, some are connected (Flashpoint, JL War, Son of Batman, Throne of Atlantis) and some are not (Assault on Arkham, Gods & Monsters) and I'm totally fine with that. I'm guessing that's what their cinematic universe will be like. Just because this version of Shazam isn't in the connected universe, it doesn't mean a different version won't be.