All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Preacher Season 1
PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 3:46 pm 
Editor Emeritus of SDCC

Could Darren Aronofsky Direct Preacher?

by SuperHeroHype

Sep 30th, 2010

The rumored Superman candidate may be eyeing another DC property

Though his name has been circulated over the past week as a rumored candidate for the Superman reboot, Newsarama is reporting that Darren Aronofsky may also be interested in directing Preacher and that it's likely he'll have to choose one project over the other, as both are slated to move into development soon.

Preacher, based on the Vertigo series by Garth Ennis and Steve Dillon that ran in the late '90's, tells the story of Texas reverend Jesse Custer who, after merging with the escaped offspring of a demon and an angel, find himself imbued with the word of God, the power to command anyone to do his bidding. Teamed with his ex girlfriend, Tulip O'Hare and an Irish vampire named Cassidy, Custer sets out across America to track down the almighty and force him to explain why he abandoned creation.

Preacher has been rumored for development almost as far back as the series' debut in 1995, but was most recently in development with Sam Mendes directing and a script in the works from John August. It is uncertain whether or not Aronofsky, if he took the project, would work from the same draft.

Post subject: Re: Preacher
PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 11:40 am 
Editor Emeritus of SDCC

D.J. Caruso to Direct Preacher

by SuperHeroHype

Feb 22nd, 2011

Helmer confirms deal on Twitter

I Am Number Four director D.J. Caruso confirmed on Twitter that he will direct the Preacher adaptation at Columbia Pictures. He said:

"My deal just closed on Preacher. Going back to the dark side and pretty f*cking pumped!

Based on the popular 1990s Vertigo series, the film will be produced by Neal Moritz and his Original Films as well as Kickstart Productions' Jason Netter.

Created by Garth Ennis and Steve Dillon, "Preacher" told the story of a down-and-out Texas preacher possessed by Genesis, a supernatural entity conceived by the unnatural coupling of an angel and a demon.

Given immense powers, the preacher teamed with an old girlfriend and a hard-drinking Irish vampire and set out on a journey across America to find God -- who apparently had abandoned his duties in heaven -- and hold him accountable for his negligence.

Caruso's film credits include Eagle Eye and Disturbia.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 9:20 pm 
Editor Emeritus of SDCC

D.J. Caruso Still Attached to Preacher Feature Film

by SuperHeroHype

August 19, 2013

Though we haven't heard anything about the project in over two years, director D.J. Caruso says he is still attached to the feature film version of the comic book series Preacher. In an interview with I Am Rogue, Caruso spoke about the project and is hoping for good news about the project soon.

"I’m still attached to Preacher and we’re wrestling with Sony because I got another movie at Sony called Invertigo, which is a big action film we’re trying to get going this summer. So Preacher got put on the back burner, but we’re still involved with Preacher and hopefully we’ll have some good news on that soon. Todd August wrote a great script. I think it’s one of those features that has to kind of go through the studio system if it’s going to be made for a certain price. So we’re kind of revisiting a way to approach making the movie in the right way."

Caruso previously said that he wanted Star Trek's Chris Pine to play the lead role of Jesse Custer in the film with Transformers star Shia LaBeouf reportedly interested in playing "Arseface." The project is an adaptation of Vertigo series by Garth Ennis and artist Steve Dillon that ran for 75 issues from 1995 - 2000.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 10:11 pm 
Editor Emeritus of SDCC

Is AMC Developing Preacher for Television?

by SuperHeroHype

November 16, 2013

The long journey of Garth Ennis and Steve Dillon's cult comic series "Preacher" continues and this time it might be headed for the small screen. Badass Digest is reporting that AMC is developing the series for television and have already ordered a pilot based on the series. Previous reports had director DJ Caruso still attached to a film adaptation, but that doesn't appear to be the case for this venture. Though no names are given, the site reports that the ones attached are "big and impressive."

This all remains unconfirmed by AMC but given their current programming, the comic based The Walking Dead and hit western series Hell on Wheels, "Preacher" would fit in nicely with the rest of their schedule. If true, the adaptation could very well still not happen given the comic's rocky past including an abandoned HBO pilot that never rolled in front of cameras after nearly four years in development. Check back here for confirmation and other info on the matter as we learn it.

Created by Garth Ennis and Steve Dillon, "Preacher" tells the story of a down-and-out Texas preacher possessed by Genesis, a supernatural entity conceived by the unnatural coupling of an angel and a demon. Given immense powers, the preacher, teamed with an old girlfriend and a hard-drinking Irish vampire, set out on a journey across America to find God -- who apparently had abandoned his duties in heaven -- and hold him accountable for his negligence.

Update: It appears that we may know who is behind this adaptation of "Preacher" now. A few hours after the story broke, Seth Rogen tweeted the following: "Looks like about seven of years of hard work are about to pay off. I may get to bring one of my favourite stories ever to life....Arseface. John Wayne, The Saint of Killers." Well with teasing like that, an official announcement seems imminent.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 12:31 pm 
Editor Emeritus of SDCC

Garth Ennis and Steve Dillon’s Preacher Officially Heading to AMC!

SuperHeroHype

Feb 06, 2014

Garth Ennis and Steve Dillon's Vertigo comic book series "Preacher" is officially on its way to the small screen! AMC and Sony TV have today officially confirmed the news that broke last fall that sees This is the End co-writers and directors Seth Rogen and Evan Goldberg executive producing the series. They will also provide the screenplay for the pilot.

"Preacher" follows Reverend Jesse Custer, a tough Texas preacher who has lost his faith, has learned that God has left Heaven and abandoned His responsibilities. He finds himself the only person capable of tracking God down, demanding answers, and making Him answer for His dereliction of duty. Accompanying Jesse on his journey is his former girlfriend and a friendly vampire who seems to prefer a pint in the pub to the blood of the innocent. On his tail is one of the most iconic bad guys in print – an immortal, unstoppable killing machine named the Saint of Killers – a western lone gunman archetype whose sole purpose is to hunt and kill Jesse.

"This is a great piece of material for AMC, and we're thrilled to begin working with the creative team behind it to make another iconic AMC series," said Joel Stillerman, AMC's EVP of original programming, production and digital content.

"This is amazing!" say Rogen and Goldberg. "We've tried for seven years to work on 'Preacher' and we're so psyched AMC is finally letting us. It is our favorite comic of all time, and we're going to do everything we can to do it right. Humperdoo!"

Garth Ennis said, "Steve Dillon and I are very happy to see 'Preacher' being developed for TV, which seems a much more natural home for the story than a 2-hour movie. Between them, Sony TV and AMC have brought viewers two of my favorite shows with 'Breaking Bad' and 'Mad Men,' and it's exactly that kind of creative commitment and courage that 'Preacher' needs. Obviously it's taken a while, but Ken Levin along with Neal Moritz and his team refused to give up, long after the point when I myself grew skeptical, and their unrelenting enthusiasm for the project has gotten us where we need to be. I'm particularly impressed that Seth Rogen, Evan Goldberg and Sam Catlin understand 'Preacher' fully — meaning they get it for what it is, not some vague approximation. All in all, it looks like 'Preacher' can now be brought to TV in a way that I'd previously not have thought possible, and I very much appreciate that Steve and I have been included in the conversation in the way that we have."

"Breaking Bad" producer Sam Catlin will be the series' showrunner and will also executive produce alongside Rogen, Goldberg, Vivian Cannon, Ken Levin, Ori Marmur, Neal Moritz and Jason Netter.

Post subject: Re: Preacher Season 1
PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 10:34 pm 
Editor Emeritus of SDCC

Evan Goldberg Talks Preacher TV Series

SuperHeroHype

Mar 10, 2014

Following several rumors, it was confirmed last month that Seth Rogen and Evan Goldberg would be bringing Garth Ennis and Steve Dillon's classic comic title "Preacher" to the small screen in a new AMC TV series. Speaking with Collider in a recent interview, Goldberg laid out his hopes for the series and their desire to not change very much from the source material.

"We just had a meeting with AMC and Garth Ennis, who's the writer, and we all kind of seemed to agree that we're going to stay as true to the comic as we can. We need to change some stuff but we're not going to change much, I hope. We're just going to do a little more of the preamble instead of doing flashbacks and restructure how we dole out the information a little, but we're going to do the same characters, same story, same ending. We're going try to stick to Preacher as best we can. We're making it with Sam Catlin who did Breaking Bad, and so he might tell me I'm wrong about all of this and that the real way to do it is different because he's much smarter and better at all this than I am. But we're going try to stick to what it is as best we can."

There have been several attempts in the past to adapt "Preacher," though they've all mostly been in the form of a feature film. Goldberg explained why he thinks it's best to go in for the long haul with a series saying:

"We're beyond excited, we've tried to make it for 10 years. The big difference is everyone else tried to make it a movie and it shouldn't be a movie. It should be an AMC show, that's the proper way for it to get done… It's too big; you can't do that in a movie. It's just too big. You've gotta learn the characters, it's all about a love triangle and you need to grow with them and see the woman swayed one way or the other, and in a movie you just can't accomplish all that."

Created by Garth Ennis and Steve Dillon, "Preacher" tells the story of a down-and-out Texas preacher possessed by Genesis, a supernatural entity conceived by the unnatural coupling of an angel and a demon. Given immense powers, the preacher, teamed with an old girlfriend and a hard-drinking Irish vampire, set out on a journey across America to find God — who apparently had abandoned his duties in heaven — and hold him accountable for his negligence.​

"Breaking Bad" producer Sam Catlin will be the series' showrunner and will also executive produce alongside Rogen, Goldberg, Vivian Cannon, Ken Levin, Ori Marmur, Neal Moritz and Jason Netter.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 11:50 am 
Editor Emeritus of SDCC

Seth Rogen Offers a Peek at the Preacher Pilot Outline

SuperHeroHype

Jul 01, 2014

Back in February, AMC and Sony Television officially announced that This is the End co-writers and directors Seth Rogen and Evan Goldberg would be bringing the iconic comic series "Preacher" to television, and just yesterday Rogen posted a tweet online with the simple caption "Writing day."

Fans of the series will notice that the opening teaser for this episode reads "Intro Genesis," which is the spirit that goes on to posses the title character Jesse Custer. A card further down on the board reads "Daily Breakfast, Jesse w/" which could refer to the opening scene of the comic's first issue which reveals Custer along with his girlfriend Tulip and friend Cassidy. Check out the image below and speculate away!

Created by Garth Ennis and Steve Dillon, "Preacher" tells the story of a down-and-out Texas preacher possessed by Genesis, a supernatural entity conceived by the unnatural coupling of an angel and a demon. Given immense powers, the preacher, teamed with an old girlfriend and a hard-drinking Irish vampire, set out on a journey across America to find God — who apparently had abandoned his duties in heaven — and hold him accountable for his negligence.​

Click on the image to see a bigger version!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 2:55 pm 
Editor Emeritus of SDCC

Seth Rogen Teases a Familiar Opening Tune in the Preacher Pilot

SuperHeroHype

Jul 15, 2014

Last week, Seth Rogen took to Twitter to share part of his outline for the upcoming DC Comics television adaptation, “Preacher,” based on the comic book series by Garth Ennis and Steve Dillon. Today, Rogen is back with more, sharing the below image and revealing that, as was the case in the first issue of the comic, Willie Nelson’s “Time of the Preacher” will be featured.