Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Thu Nov 27, 2014 7:10 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Quick question for you guys
PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 11:13 am 
Editor Emeritus of SDCC

Are the countdowns bothering you guys at all?

I've been contemplating stopping because no one seems to care for them. Actually, it would save me a lot of time if I did stop so that would be okay.

Don't get me wrong, I like doing them, but it seems kind of pointless if no one is enjoying them.

Don't be afraid to say how you feel. You won't hurt my feelings any. Just be honest. I need to know if I'm wasting my time or not.

Post subject: Re: Quick question for you guys
PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 11:50 am 
Disney is not his cup of tea

I quite liked the Avengers and Dark Knight countdowns and comic cover posts.

As much as I love the Superman covers, I was wondering if you were a big Superman fan to start that one so early!

I'd be doing it if only I know I'd forget a day or two! :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 12:20 pm 
Editor Emeritus of SDCC

A friend of mine on another community I belong to started a Man of Steel countdown. I thought that was cool so I started one here. But, if people around these parts think it's too soon, then it's too soon so I stopped. And that's what happened with the Man of Steel. Lesson learned.

I'm glad you like the Avengers and Dark Knight countdowns, Van Statten. Thanks for the feedback. Image

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 12:53 pm 
Disney is not his cup of tea

You're welcome! And I don't think the Man of Steel countdown should have been stopped. It was just something I questioned because it was so far off... I figured as I said you must love the character or something. Hell, we start counting down to the next Doctor Who Christmas Special the moment the last episode in a series ends... so to each their own, no harm no foul! 8)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 12:59 pm 
Santos L. Halper

I would prefer you stick with the news rather than the countdowns. I get excited with the news reports, but when you open the thread to find its just another countdown day, its disappointing. I've actually stopped opening some the threads, particularly the Superman one, because of this.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 2:41 pm 
Armored Avenger of Arduous Aspirations

Ditto.

Keep 'em for the news/trailers. Maybe countdown each week with comic covers or maybe just the final month?

I've seen a lot of cool trailers/images thanks to you, so I'd hate for them to completely go away.

Trade Rating +55 and counting

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 3:00 pm 
Tis' but a pup

I think the countdowns are fine. I've actually enjoyed going through some of the covers.
I've only been here for a while though..
Maybe you could try mixing the news and reports into the countdown?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 6:01 pm 
Fugitive Dust

I usually read your countdowns in the convention center (board, section, what do you call that?), because you add updates and link to stories from other sites. I think of them as a geekdom Huffington Post. I appreciate your efforts, but you should only keep doing them if it means something to you.

The other reason I never really read your countdowns here is because with the demise of JLU I have only recently been trying to participate in other boards (center, sections, what have you).

Cheers!

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 5:57 am 
too much stick, not enough carrot

I like them, when it's closer to the actual release. Especially for a film like Avengers, the last two weeks of your countdowns help build excitement. But like someone else said, when it's still months and months off I'm usually looking for news.

Having said that, THANK YOU for keeping this forum up to date. You are an absolute asset to the site man, and whatever they're paying you isn't enough. :D :D :D

DC/WB is all like "Wonder Woman's too confusing for a movie!" and Marvel/Disney is all like "Here's a raccoon with a machine gun".

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 7:47 am 
Why doesn't anyone ever listen to me?

I like them, and read them. You don't have to be as vigilant, but I enjoy the updates.

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 8:49 am 
Aspires to be #1

I've been thinking about this for a while so I could formulate a good answer so here it goes.

I think the countdowns are great and you obviously put a ton of work into that. That being said, for the major events (Comic Con, Avengers, Batman) I think it's fine to have the really long countdowns. For the smaller things, maybe you could set a time period one month out and just start from there. Keep everything else news related until you hit the time you decide on to start a countdown. It seems like you put a lot of work into some things that many people aren't even looking at.

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 11:25 am 
Still ahead of Mudd

It obvious you spend alot of time on them-- but honestly-- I dont really pay attention to them-- and I think that some of the news stories get lost between them. If you like them- please continue but I would start them a little closer--- I think the SDCC and Toy Fair ones are okay-- but I think all of the comic book movies (especially since they are turning them around so much -is a little overkill)

Maybe combine them all into one countdown thread-- with multiple listings in each post...

Plus at least they are infinitely less creepy than those countdown clocks for when young starlets turn 18...

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 1:43 pm 
Editor Emeritus of SDCC

Thanks for the feedback, guys. I'm going to finish the countdowns I started and then that'll be it. No more countdowns on the Screen Scene forum. I'll save them for the events forum.

The news, of course, will continue.

Thanks again.