It is currently Sun Apr 20, 2014 12:18 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Star Trek 3
PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 3:13 am 
Editor Emeritus of SDCC

J.J. Abrams Talks Star Trek Into Darkness and Star Trek 3

by SuperHeroHype

January 12, 2013

In just a few short months, we'll get to trek into darkness with the crew of the Enterprise for J.J. Abrams' follow-up Star Trek Into Darkness. He spoke with CraveOnline about the film and as usual his lips stayed sealed about specifics - he wouldn't even talk about the themes of the film.

"There’s nothing worse for me than reading what the theme of a book is or a movie and then reading it and being like: that’s the theme. The theme is you feel it...I do think that by default this a deeper movie. It’s certainly a bigger movie because the first one was kind of the origin story which is great because it’s so easy. You just introduce people and yet now they know each other so it has to go deeper."

2009's Star Trek boasted a very strong ensemble cast and it's grown even larger for the new film, and it wasn't easier finding everyone's place the second time around.

"Honestly, it’s never easier the next time, ever, for anything. You always think, “Oh, I’ve done that, it’ll be easier the next time.” No, it’s harder the next time. But it’s important that every character needs to be in the story, otherwise they shouldn’t be. But I wouldn’t say it was easier."

The identity of Benedict Cumberbatch's character has been revealed as John Harrison, but many still believe he's a new version of Khan, and Abrams is ready for people to just see the movie.

"I just can’t wait for people to see the movie. Benedict is unbelievable. It’s a tall order, coming into that movie, because the crew of the Enterprise, that cast is so damn good and they’re wonderful to work with and they’re all good hearts. So, to come into that group, as he did, as Alice Eve did and as Peter Weller did, and be one of the family was something that I was doubtful could happen. And he completely did it. I not only love him in the movie, but I love him, as a human being. He’s an amazing guy. I can’t wait for people to see the movie and experience what he’s done."

One reason some still believe Cumberbatch to be playing Khan is a connection in the new trailer that is very similar to a key scene in Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan, but Abrams won't say a word about it.

"Well, I would say that you’ve got to see the movie to see. I don’t want to give away what that is, but we’ve all seen Wrath of Khan. With one or two exceptions, we’re not idiots. We are aware of the movie. I love Wrath of Khan."

With the second movie almost out, it's not too early to talk about a potential third film, but when Abrams was asked if he had thought about it at all he said no. They have stories in mind, though.

"No, sir, not yet. I’m sure that the studio would love that to be a possibility but it’s up to the audience to decide if there needs to be one...There are things we’ve talked about but there’s no script or anything, it’s just ideas."

Star Trek Into Darkness stars John Cho, Bruce Greenwood, Simon Pegg, Chris Pine, Zachary Quinto, Zoe Saldana, Karl Urban, Anton Yelchin, Benedict Cumberbatch, Alice Eve and Peter Weller. It will be released in 3D, 2D and IMAX 3D theaters on May 17.

Post subject: Re: Star Trek 3
PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 3:52 am 
Editor Emeritus of SDCC

J.J. Abrams Will Still Produce a Third Star Trek Film

Source: ComingSoon

January 25, 2013

After yesterday's surprise announcement that J.J. Abrams will be franchise-hopping from Star Trek to Star Wars, fans have been curious about what that means for the future of the U.S.S. Enterprise and her crew. Today, Paramount Pictures tells The LA Times that Abrams remains committed to Trek and will, at the very least, serve as producer on Star Trek III (or Star Trek XIII, depending on your point of view). What's more, he's also going to remain attached to at least one more film in the Mission: Impossible franchise.

Abrams' next, Star Trek Into Darkness, hits theaters on May 17 and reunites Chris Pine, John Cho, Bruce Greenwood, Simon Pegg, Zachary Quinto, Zoe Saldana, Karl Urban and Anton Yelchin with a cast of newcomers that includes Benedict Cumberbatch, Alice Eve and Peter Weller.

Star Wars: Episode VII, meanwhile, is being written by Michael Arndt and is scheduled to hit theaters sometime in 2015.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 5:56 am 
5" Scale

I have a bad feeling that this will mean Star Trek 3 will suck. The third movie in a trilogy is NEVER all that great (Return of the King excepted) but whenever the original director of the first two drops out, it's a disaster (think X-Men: The Last Stand).

Post subject: Star Trek 3
PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 3:27 am 
Editor Emeritus of SDCC

Zachary Quinto Gives Update on the Next Star Trek Movie

by SuperHeroHype

July 13, 2013

Now that Star Trek Into Darkness has earned $444 million worldwide, Paramount Pictures is looking ahead at the next film and it sounds like they may start shooting earlier than was expected.

Lucien from BuzzHub tells us: " I attended a public interview with Zachary Quinto at the Galway Film Festival in Ireland on Friday, and during it, he revealed that Paramount have told the Star Trek cast that they're planning to shoot ST3 in 2014, and that J.J. still wants to direct! He also told the audience he does not want to be in Episode VII, but he would like to cameo in The Big Bang Theory!"

To quote exactly what Quinto said about "Star Trek": "Star Trek 3 should be filming, I suppose, next year. It’s going to be made a lot quicker than the last one. That’s the plan, although nothing is confirmed yet."

It would seem impossible for J.J. Abrams to direct the film next year considering his Star Wars: Episode VII duties, but it's interesting to hear Quinto say that. Who do you think should direct the next film?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 6:09 pm 
Editor Emeritus of SDCC

Alex Kurtzman and Roberto Orci to Return for Next Star Trek Film

by SuperHeroHype

August 05, 2013

Although online rumors had recently suggested that a new team of writers might be brought aboard Paramount Pictures' Star Trek franchise, The Hollywood Reporter now brings word that Alex Kurtzman and Roberto Orci will return to the bridge of the Enterprise for a third big screen adventure. Damon Lindelof, who worked with the pair on this summer's Star Trek Into Darkness will not be back.

The most recent film featured the returning cast of Chris Pine, Zachary Quinto, Zoe Saldana, Karl Urban, John Cho, Bruce Greenwood, Simon Pegg and Anton Yelchin with new roles for Benedict Cumberbatch, Alice Eve and Peter Weller. Although the film grossed more than $450 million at the worldwide box office, reviews from certain die-hard Trekkies were less than kind.

Orci and Kurtzman's other big screen credits include Transformers, Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen and Cowboys and Aliens. Their new series, "Sleepy Hollow," offers a time-travel twist on the Washington Irving short story and will premiere September 16 on FOX.

Although no official release date has, as of yet, been announced, it's likely that the next film, the 13th in the long-running franchise, will take advantage of the property's 50th anniversary in 2016.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 12:55 pm 
Editor Emeritus of SDCC

Joe Cornish to Direct Star Trek 3?

by SuperHeroHype

November 02, 2013

Deadline is reporting that Paramount is considering Attack the Block director Joe Cornish to take the helm of the upcoming Star Trek 3. Paramount is in need of a director since J.J. Abrams has gone off to a galaxy far, far away, though he will reportedly still produce the film.

Though Attack the Block is the only directing credit to Cornish's name, he has previously penned a few screenplays including The Adventures of Tintin and Marvel's upcoming Ant-Man.

Writers Alex Kurtzman and Roberto Orci will return to write the third film in the series which star Zachary Quinto says is scheduled to begin filming in 2014.

Although no official release date has, as of yet, been announced, it's likely that the next film, the 13th in the long-running franchise, will take advantage of the property's 50th anniversary in 2016.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2013 2:18 am 
Editor Emeritus of SDCC

Writers Assemble for Thirteenth Star Trek Feature

by SuperHeroHype

December 06, 2013

With the series' 50th anniversary hitting in 2016, work is already underway to bring a thirteenth (or third, depending on your interpretation of temporal mechanics) big screen Star Trek adventure to theaters. Although there's no guarantee yet that the project will hit for the golden anniversary celebration, the odds of that are looking a little better today as The Hollywood Reporter reveals that Patrick McKay and J.D. Payne will be joining the returning Roberto Orci. Orci's writing partner, Alex Kurtzman, the outlet says, will be sitting this one out.

Although the film does not yet have a director locked, recent reports have hinted that Attack the Block helmer Joe Cornish is high on the list of potential candidates.

Although McKay and Payne do not, as of yet, have a produced credit to their name, they have already worked with J.J. Abrams' Bad Robot Productions on Boilerplate: History's Mechanical Marvel, a planned adaptation of the book by Paul Guinan and Anina Bennett.