Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Wed Apr 16, 2014 8:41 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: RoboCop Reboot
PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 9:19 pm 
Daniel Pickett

MGM PREPARES NEW ROBOCOP MOVIE WITH DARREN ARONOFSKY TO DIRECT AND DAVID SELF TO WRITE

LOS ANGELES, CA July 24, 2008 – Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer Pictures (MGM) has signed Darren Aronofsky to direct and David Self to write a new installment for its ROBOCOP franchise. Aronofsky, the director of The Fountain, and Self, the writer of Road to Perdition, make a formidable creative team, fast tracking the ROBOCOP motion picture and spotlighting it as one of the most anticipated new films for 2010.

The announcement was made today by Mary Parent, Chairman, Worldwide Motion Picture Group, MGM.

In making the announcement Parent said: “Darren is undeniably one of the most talented, original and visceral film makers, and David is one of the greatest writers in Hollywood. All of us at MGM couldn't be more excited.â€

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 4:51 pm 
Editor Emeritus of SDCC

From IGN:

What's Up with the Robocop Reboot?

Studio talks status of Darren Aronofsky's redux.

by Scott Collura

June 15, 2009 - It was last summer that we first heard about The Wrestler director Darren Aronofsky's interest in remaking the classic cyborg flick Robocop. But since that time, little else has been said about the project. Now, studio MGM has given an update on the reboot -- and they say it is still on track to protect and serve.

io9 got in touch with MGM the other day and a studio spokesman revealed that while the film is happening, the previous 2010 release date is no longer accurate.

"The rep said that the studio had told distributors at an event a couple weeks ago to expect the movie in 2011," reports the site. "He said director Darren Aronofsky ... and screenwriter David Self (Road to Perdition) were still working on the script, and that no casting had been completed."

Additionally, the new Dynamite Comics Robocop title that was just announced (and which spurred io9 to look into the movie in the first place) will have nothing to do with the film. Big surprise there.

This isn't the first time Aronofsky has been involved in a genre project that was delayed -- and seemingly in danger of stalling (remember, Batman fans?), so one has to wonder whether or not Robocop will ever actually happen. Still, if you've got to remake that movie, there could be no one better than Aronofsky to do it.

Mike
(Image)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 12:14 pm 
Editor Emeritus of SDCC

David Self on RoboCop, Parsifal Mosaic and Deathlok

Source:comingsoon.net

February 10, 2010

ComingSoon.net/SuperHeroHype got a chance to talk to The Wolfman co-writer David Self about three projects he's been attached to.

He says RoboCop is in a holding pattern until MGM's finances get worked out. "I'm still involved with it and Darren Aronofsky's still involved with it," Self said. "He's making another movie right now ('Black Swan'), but we're waiting for MGM to sort things out since they're a larger corporate and it's a situation where we have to be practical. We're waiting to continue with them, we hope that that happens soon and we can get back to it soon."

He added that the film is "definitely not a sequel. It's an origin story, it's an origin to the original RoboCop. It's basically a 'reboot.'"

Next up for Self is the Ron Howard-directed The Parsifal Mosaic, based on the 1982 Robert Ludlum novel.

"The experience with Ron Howard and Brian Grazer has been great. They are princes of the town and absolutely wonderful to work with. We're working on 'The Parsifal Mosaic,' which is a spy movie, it's a (Robert) Ludlum property. It's a very different from the 'Bourne' franchise, which he's so well known for. The original novel is a tested love story, so this'll be interesting."

The book is about a CIA operative who thinks he witnessed the execution of his lover after she was identified as a KGB double agent.

One project that doesn't look to be going anywhere right now is the adaptation of Marvel's Deathlok.

"I don't know what’s going with that movie honestly," Self added. "I haven't talked to the producers recently about that. I did a rewrite on it several years ago and it shows up on my IMDb all the time. It's been a long while since I worked on it, but I would love to see that happen soon. I love that story and I love that character."

Mike
(Image)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 8:52 pm 
Joint Unfreezer

Wonder what Peter Weller is doing these days? Hmmm?

Webslinger

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 9:11 pm 
Shudders at the Thought of Swamp-Crotch Chafing

The franchise is just about overdue at this point. A new movie (whether a reboot or not) could be something truly remarkable if they amp it up some.

Imagine Robocop 1.0 meeting his "replacement", a newer model that is more of the Jet Li/Tony Jaa martial artist type. Couple that with today's advances in SFX and it could be a beautiful thing.

It might also give Sellers a chance to take on the role again without feeling dated or unconvincing.

This might also be the impotus needed to get the tv series out on DVD.

Post subject: Re: MGM PREPARES NEW ROBOCOP MOVIE WITH DARREN ARONOFSKY
PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 7:31 pm 
Editor Emeritus of SDCC

Jose Padilha Up for RoboCop?

by SuperHeroHype

Mar 1st, 2011

The Brazilian director is said to be in talks

Director Joe Padilha is said to be in talks to take over the RoboCop reboot, Deadline reports.

RoboCop, a reboot of the 1987 Paul Verhoeven film, will tell the story of a police officer who, after nearly being killed in the line of duty, is rebuilt as a crime-fighting cyborg. The original film spawned two sequels and multiple television series spinoffs.

Darren Aronofsky was originally slated to direct, having become attached as far back as three years ago. When MGM's financial state fell into disarray, Aronofsky's connection to the project became uncertain and his plate is now full with the X-Men spinoff The Wolverine.

Padilha is primarily known for his successful Brazilian films, Elite Squad and Elite Squad 2: The Enemy Within.

Post subject: Re: MGM PREPARES NEW ROBOCOP MOVIE WITH DARREN ARONOFSKY
PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 9:05 pm 
Editor Emeritus of SDCC

LX11: RoboCop Promo Art and Sales Sheet

by SuperHeroHype

Jun 16th, 2011

We were handed some promo art and a sales sheet for MGM's RoboCop today at the Licensing International Expo in Las Vegas. The sales sheet says that the studio is targeting a 2013 release for the film, which will be directed by Jose Padilha. You can click on both for bigger versions, and don't miss our full gallery from the Expo here!

Image Image

Post subject: Re: RoboCop Reboot
PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 8:27 pm 
Editor Emeritus of SDCC

From IGN:

Chris Pine is RoboKirk?

MGM wants the Star Trek actor to go cyborg.

July 12, 2011

As I recall, Captain Kirk never went in for fads like cybernetic limb replacements. And yet, the Captain Kirk for the 21st century (the dreamy one, Chris Pine) is looking at just such an upgrade. Specifically, Pine might be playing the cyborg with the mostest, RoboCop.

Twitch Film reports that Pine is MGM's top choice to headline its remake of the classic sci-fi film. "There is no word as to whether director Jose Padilha agrees with the selection and the offer has not yet gone out," adds the site.

As Twitch points out, Pine is like 10 years younger than Peter Weller was when he took on the role of Alex Murphy/RoboCop. He's also substantially more hunky. But this should come as no surprise: What would-be tent-pole film doesn't cast young and handsome these days?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 9:09 pm 
Disney is not his cup of tea

I can't get behind this. As bad as the franchise had gotten over time... the original movie is a masterpiece... a science fiction classic before it's time which impacted the world around it. Dallas had started to use the cars in the movie as their own squad cars for the Dallas Police Department as did the rest of the country in time... Bodicker uses a DVD which has the message from Dick Jones on it to Bob Morten... as Edward Newmier and Paul Verhoven say on the comentary, they thought it just seemed... right.

Robocop, the first movie is timeless... in a distant future...

Perhaps I'll like it... but until then... I just can't betray the first movie...

By all means, remake Robocop 2 and up!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 10:52 pm 
Editor Emeritus of SDCC

Nick Schenk to Draft RoboCop

by SuperHeroHype

January 31, 2012

The RoboCop reboot is moving forward with director Jose Padilha and has just signed Nick Schenk (Gran Torino) to provide the screenplay. The Hollywood Reporter has the news, saying that MGM is tentatively targeting a summer start.

A reboot of the 1987 Paul Verhoeven film, RoboCop will again tell the story of a police officer who, after nearly being killed in the line of duty, is rebuilt as a crime-fighting cyborg. The original film spawned two sequels and multiple television series spinoffs.

"I have my take on it," Padilha told Superhero Hype late last year, "And I can tell you this: In the first 'RoboCop' when Alex Murphy is shot, gunned down, then you see some hospitals and stuff and then you cut to him as RoboCop. My movie is between those two cuts. How do you make RoboCop? How do you slowly bring a guy to be a robot? How do you actually take humanity out of someone and how do you program a brain, so to speak, and how does that affect an individual?"

Click here to read the full interview with Padilha and check back for further updates on the project as they become available.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 2:15 pm 
Editor Emeritus of SDCC

Joel Kinnaman Offered RoboCop Lead

by SuperHeroHype

February 24, 2012

Jose Padilha's reboot of RoboCop looks to have found its lead as Deadline reports that Joel Kinnaman ("The Killing," Snabba Cash) has been offered the role of Officer Alex Murphy (played in the original by Peter Weller).

A reboot of the 1987 Paul Verhoeven film, RoboCop will again tell the story of a police officer who, after nearly being killed in the line of duty, is rebuilt as a crime-fighting cyborg. The original film spawned two sequels and multiple television series spinoffs.

"I have my take on it," Padilha told Superhero Hype late last year, "And I can tell you this: In the first 'RoboCop' when Alex Murphy is shot, gunned down, then you see some hospitals and stuff and then you cut to him as RoboCop. My movie is between those two cuts. How do you make RoboCop? How do you slowly bring a guy to be a robot? How do you actually take humanity out of someone and how do you program a brain, so to speak, and how does that affect an individual?"

Recently, Gran Torino scribe Nick Schenk was brought about the project to rewrite. Production is still targeted for this summer.

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 2:20 pm 

Webslinger wrote:
Wonder what Peter Weller is doing these days? Hmmm?

Webslinger

He's like a college Professor, he just acts in his spare time apparently, he was in a season of Dexter recently!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 11:31 am 
Editor Emeritus of SDCC

Sony Pictures to Distribute RoboCop Remake

by SuperHeroHype

March 06, 2012

Sony Pictures will distribute MGM's RoboCop remake, to be directed by Jose Padilha ("Elite Squad" films) from a script by Josh Zetumer, reports Deadline. Joel Kinnaman is set to play the title role.

The deal expands the relationship between Sony and MGM. Sony is also distributing MGM's 21 Jump Street, opening on March 16, and will release the new James Bond movie Skyfall on November 9. They also partnered on The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo and Zookeeper.

Strike Entertainment partners Eric Newman and Marc Abraham are producing.

Padilha previously told us what to expect from the new film: "In the first 'RoboCop' when Alex Murphy is shot, gunned down, then you see some hospitals and stuff and then you cut to him as RoboCop. My movie is between those two cuts. How do you make RoboCop? How do you slowly bring a guy to be a robot? How do you actually take humanity out of someone and how do you program a brain, so to speak, and how does that affect an individual?"

A release date for the remake has not been set yet.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 11:47 am 

Oh God as if the idea of the remake wasn't bad enough

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 11:54 am 
Shudders at the Thought of Swamp-Crotch Chafing

Yeah, this sounds very ... boring ....