It is currently Thu Dec 18, 2014 4:38 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Beetlejuice 2
PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 6:32 pm 
Editor Emeritus of SDCC

Tim Burton Talks Beetlejuice 2

Source: ComingSoon

June 18, 2012

Roughly 24 years ago, a young director named Tim Burton made a significant mark with his second feature film, the dark comedy Beetlejuice, which also put actor Michael Keaton firmly on the map while winning an Oscar for its special make-up FX.

A few months back, it was reported that Dark Shadows screenwriter Seth Grahame-Smith was working on the screenplay for a sequel and at the junket for Timur Bekmambetov's adaptation of Grahame-Smith's novel Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter, producer Tim Burton spoke to ShockTillYouDrop.com about the prospects for a sequel to Beetlejuice, which he claims to be one of his favorite characters.

Here are a few quotes from the interview:

"Seth is writing something, so we'll see. I love the character but I want to just kind of look at it from a fresh perspective and see what he comes up with. That's like one of my favorite characters I've ever dealt with. (Michael) is one of the first people I worked with who was so good at improv. That movie, I was very lucky to work with a lot of actors, like him and Catherine O'Hara, who were very good at improv, so that kind of set me on a whole new course. I would love to revisit that character at some point."

Look for more with Burton, Grahame-Smith, Bekmambetov and the entire cast of Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter later this week.

Post subject: Re: Beetlejuice 2
PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 12:06 pm 
PVC

During the press tour for Abraham Lincoln it was praised for how it was refreshing to work on a new story. Now a return to Beetlejuice.

A sequel is better than a reboot. I wonder if it will follow the cartoon?

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 1:24 pm 
serves the Otter

Big IV wrote:
During the press tour for Abraham Lincoln it was praised for how it was refreshing to work on a new story. Now a return to Beetlejuice.

A sequel is better than a reboot. I wonder if it will follow the cartoon?

It won't for two reasons:

1. The cartoon didn't actually follow the movie canon.

2. The cartoon sucked.

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 4:43 pm 
PVC

I remember the cartoon fondly, but I haven't seen it in years. I also fondly remembered Dungeons and Dragons cartoon. Adult me was not impressed on the rewatch. I'm not likely to rewatch Teen Wolf, Beetlejuice, Back to the Future, or some of the other cartoons that I remember fondly. At least I have my memories.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 4:19 pm 
Editor Emeritus of SDCC

Tim Burton Eyes Beetlejuice 2

October 21, 2013

It was back in 2011 when Warner Bros. was interested in developing a sequel to Tim Burton's 1988 comedy, Beetlejuice. Soon thereafter, it was confirmed that leading man Michael Keaton was being sought to reprise his role. Today, TheWrap has confirmed Schmoes Know's scoop from earlier this week that Burton has received an offer to direct.

While the original film also spawned a lesser-known animated series, a theatrical sequel was planned in the early '90s with the title Beetlejuice Goes Hawaiian. Burton had planned to return as director, but the project failed to develop beyond an initial screenplay. It is currently unknown whether or not David Katzenberg and Seth Grahame-Smith's upcoming script will have any crossover with that original concept, but Burton's past comments on the matter have made it sound unlikely.

Burton's next film, Big Eyes, reunites him with Ed Wood screenwriters Scott Alexander and Larry Karaszewski. Set to star Amy Adams, Christoph Waltz, Danny Huston, Krysten Ritter, Jason Schwartzman and Terence Stamp, the film is a biopic of artist Margaret Keane and is expected to see release sometime in 2014.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 11:01 pm 
Editor Emeritus of SDCC

Winona Ryder is Playing Coy About Beetlejuice 2

November 19, 2013

When Tim Burton's Frankenweenie hit theaters, Winona Ryder got very excited when ShockTillYouDrop.com mentioned the possibility of a Beetlejuice 2. She didn't know much then, but momentum has been building and Ryder has gotten to the point where she is playing coy when asked about the sequel.

In speaking to The Daily Beast last night, Ryder expressed a lot of interest in revisiting Lydia Deetz (her role in the original film) 27 years later. She insisted to the outlet that the new film would not be a remake and she was excited about the fact that Seth Grahame-Smith was on board to write.

Anything else? She tells the Beast...

"I'm kind of sworn to secrecy," Ryder said Monday afternoon in Los Angeles. "But it sounds like it might be happening."

Sworn to secrecy is a good sign that we might get to see her reprise her role as Lydia.

Michael Keaton has expressed interest and there are rumblings that Tim Burton will return to direct. The planets are aligning on this one, it seems.